Major Bummer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 09:37 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Major Bummer

This past Friday afternoon I was traveling in stop and go traffic on the freeway.

The SUV in front of me abruptly stopped as we were traveling at about 30mph. I then stopped short (my first real trial of the ABS system - it worked - I had control during the short stop) but the Honda Civic behind me didn't and plowed into my rear bumper, and then pushed me into the SUV.

Minor damage to the front bumper, and decent damage to the rear bumper. My left tail pipe is slightly pushed in too.

About 24 hours later (after about 60 driving miles more) my Engine Malfunction light is on and the security system does not arm. Coincidence or part of collision?

My beautiful six speed is only 9 days old with about 700 miles!!! This gives new meaning to breaking the puppy in. I now get to give it to the Acura shop for a week to replace the bumpers and check out the exhaust system.

I know it should be as good as new when I get it back, and I'm thankful that there does not seem to be major body/frame damage and that all people involved were unhurt.

But I'm crying...:'(
Old 04-28-2002, 10:50 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Shit man, I'm sorry to hear that. But at least no one was hurt. Don't worry though, you'll have your car back as good as new soon.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

sorry to hear that bro....
Old 04-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn that sux...a brand new 6sp.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Where is my super sauce?

...and to top off my pain, as I was on the phone filing the report with my insurance company UPS came and dropped off my Zaino. It would have been perfect to Zaino my new car this weekend.

Now I think I'll wait until it returns from the shop - I don't see the point in Zaino'ing since they need to paint/blend the new bumpers anyway.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a friggin' bummer. I've been so lucky, not even a ding yet. I would have killed the bastard in the Civic.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:10 PM
Instructor

damn man....dat shyt sucks i feel for you...i hope everything works out
Old 04-28-2002, 05:07 PM
Stealth Bomber

Don't get OEMs.. get a nice rumble from an aftermarket exhaust
Old 04-28-2002, 05:56 PM
Cause stock sux.

Nothing is ever like new after an accident. Especially if the engine malfunction light and shit is coming up.

Atleast no one was hurt. That shit sucks.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:05 PM
Retired Post Whore

Damn that sucks man. How much is the damage?
Old 04-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Team Owner

Make sure you go after the other insurance company for “Diminished Value” or whatever they call it for a damaged vehicle.

I’m not that familiar with the method to do this, but others here have mentioned it.

Shawn S
Old 04-28-2002, 06:12 PM

THat SUCKS!

If it was me, I would've definitely kicked the guy in the Civics ASS!!!

Old 04-28-2002, 06:29 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Originally posted by Shawn S
Make sure you go after the other insurance company for “Diminished Value” or whatever they call it for a damaged vehicle. I’m not that familiar with the method to do this, but others here have mentioned it.

Shawn S
It is called diminished value. Usually Insurance Company calls a 3-party apprasial to check how good the repair was done and you get some % for value loss of the vehicle from the accident.

Also, I feel you. I had my car for 3 months and then somebody keyed my trunk and the whole driver side. Then few months later, a lady decide to make a U-Turn through me and I think I got about 3 grand or so for diminish value, not including the property damage, loss wages, rental car and bodly injury. You can sue you insurance and get or use you Personal Injury Protection (PIP).
Old 04-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Thanks all for the 'diminished value' advice. I'll ask my insurance company about that.

Honestly, although I would prefer to have pristine bumpers, I am not real pissed at the Civic guy. It was an honest accident that could have happened to (most) any of us in that sort of traffic situation. The guy in front of me really stopped short.

I'm wondering if the 'check engine' and security system problems are just coincidence - I've looked under the car and really see no problems with the exhaust pipes from the tail to the engine - the left pipe is just not sticking out as much (maybe by an inch) than the right. It could be an optical illusion from the bumper damage. Obviously, I'll make sure everything is really checked out well.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Originally posted by Slimey
Thanks all for the 'diminished value' advice. I'll ask my insurance company about that.

Not your insurance company. The Civic's guy insurance company. You should not have to pay a penny.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:13 AM
Instructor

Be VERY careful about what's damaged on your CL-S. An Av6er on our board had a similar situation of someone plowing into them. Insurance covered the cost, etc., but little did he know for almost a year after the accident that he had an exhaust leak from one of the collectors on his Comptech Headers. Turned out that his aftermarket exhausts were pushed so hard that it wrecked his connections on the exhaust collectors, or something like that. He's v6MoMoney from Av6.com

So MAKE sure that the damage isn't just cosmetic and to the y-pipe and mufflers. It could have also affected your mid-piping, cat, down pipe and the headers (exhaust collectors).
Old 04-29-2002, 07:39 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by 2Sxy4YoMama
Not your insurance company. The Civic's guy insurance company. You should not have to pay a penny.
That's what I meant. Oops.

His insurance company is Allstate and so far they have been quite elusive - I filed my report with them on Friday afternoon. I was told that someone would either be sent out on Saturday or that I would have to drive about 25 miles to a designated claim center, but that I should wait for a call between 8 and 2. They called at 1 and said that I should call someone else on Monday. I called that new person today and got their voice mail.

My insurance (State Farm) has been great (so far). I may have my insurance work the claim with Allstate on my behalf. Allstate's elusiveness is starting to piss me off anyway. My time is limited and that's why I pay State Farm. The body shop guy said that claims filed through State Farm are much more efficient than other insurance companies, including Allstate.

I've already had an estimate from my dealer's Acura body shop ($1800 for the front and rear bumpers) and will take it in today or tomorrow. They guy said that they'll fully inspect the exhaust system. He was nice and said that they usually like to fast-track people with the brand new cars. I think that I get the award for the first '03 brought in.