Latest CL Rumor From Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest CL Rumor From Dealer!

OK guys, I was at the dealers getting my new Acura wood (simulated but nice) steering wheel put on when I ran into my salesman. He asked me to come to his office to show me something. While having coffee, he showed me pictures of the new TL coming in the fall (very nice). Also, he said that Acura will stop making the CL as we know it (you already new this). But, a new coupe is in the works as well as a convertible. He didn't know anything more about it. No date, no size, no engine...just that little tidbet of information. Without the facts, I still call it a rumor...but a nice one at that.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:16 AM
What, me worry?

Location: Carrollton, tx. land of heaving pavement & revenue generating pigs.
I could go for a CL convertible. I'm not sure what to think of the new Solara but at least they beefed up the motor. Hope we won't have to wait too long.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Its what they did with the Legend....kill it off....wait a couple of years....then out do the last coupe. It probably wouldn't happen for atleast 2-3 years!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:51 AM
I hate the Mets

Damn, they would have to do some serious weight reduction! Or give it one bad ass engine - Hopefully with the redesign they lighten it up enough for a 'vert
Old 04-23-2003, 09:58 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Makes sense, Acura has consistently offered a premium coupe, I hope it is 2 years away instead of sooner, don't want any contender for my CLS too soon, but my guess it will be sooner than later, maybe next year? Competition is tight, you gotta have product to offer. The convertible would be a welcome addition to the lineup. Seems smarter to release the convertible before the coupe for increased sales and profits.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
When I was testdriving CL's about 6 months ago one of the salesmen that went w/ me on the testdrive mentioned that Acura might be coming out w/ an Acura version of the S2000. It was probably triggered by the fact that we were following a S2000 around for awile on the test drive.

This makes me think that the convertible will be based on the S2000 platform which means RWD (good), but only a 2 seater (bad).
Old 04-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Has Acura ever had a convertible?

It's about time
Old 04-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
Its what they did with the Legend....kill it off....wait a couple of years....then out do the last coupe.
Acura has yet to "out do" the 95 Legend Coupe.
In terms of “bells & whistles”, engine & interior design… YES
Quality and lasting beauty… NO

Shawn S
Old 04-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shawn S
Acura has yet to "out do" the 95 Legend Coupe.
In terms of “bells & whistles”, engine & interior design… YES
Quality and lasting beauty… NO

Shawn S
absolutely 100% correct.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by eclipse23
absolutely 100% correct.
But, in Acura’s defense the Legend cost 43,000 dollars EIGHT YEARS AGO !!!
If it were still made today in JAPAN with that level of quality, it would probably cost 60-grand by now.

Shawn S
Old 04-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

hopefully thay keep the CL name going.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Racer

When Acura made the horrendous business decision of dropping the Legend and changed to RL, etc, it paid a dear price for the mistake----sales died overnight and stayed that way for a few years!!! I feel given the fact that Infinity and other makes are coming out with sports coupes, Acura should really make the CLs a flagship of performance for Acura, which is very affordable. The TSX and RSX are low-end me too type of cars that are already in a very crowded market. What I am trying to say is that Acura should really put some serious effort into CL and make it special.

Why try to invent the wheel when you already got a good one to work on It won't be as serious as the Legend, but the image will suffer.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:09 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Well I hate the CL letter names. I tell people I have a CL and they say 'a what?, when I had a Legend most everyone could identify that name and car. Acura does not have the history or rep of a Mercedes model SL500, or E class, etc. and the first CL did not help create any distinction for the car.

I owned 2 Legend Coupes and now the CL. The Legend had that certain something, quality build, passion, character, distinction, edginess, more timeless than the CL. With the Legend I got lots of comments on it and even many offers to buy it when I'd be gassing up or whatever. No one even notices the CL at gas stations, looks like the common Accord to most people, too bad, the styling does not match the innerds! As a classic the CL is not quite as complete as the Legend Coupe, mostly because of the more generic styling, but I love what the CL does offer, it's great.
The CLS should have been the first CL, the first CL was a bad decision (sorry 1st CLers) and definitely effected the acceptance of the CLS. Plus, of course offering the CLS with only an automatic was a major mistake too.
If the next Acura coupe can offer the innerds of the CL and the styling and distinction of the Legend, I'll be back again.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by greenmonster
When I was testdriving CL's about 6 months ago one of the salesmen that went w/ me on the testdrive mentioned that Acura might be coming out w/ an Acura version of the S2000. It was probably triggered by the fact that we were following a S2000 around for awile on the test drive.

This makes me think that the convertible will be based on the S2000 platform which means RWD (good), but only a 2 seater (bad).
Last time I got my tranny replaced I was also told that the S2000 would be coming out rebadged as an Acura since they wanted to make all performance vehicles under the Acura name now. But I wouldn't really believe anything they tell you.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Way Fast Whitey

I would be first in line for a 4 seater convert
Old 04-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Way Fast Whitey

BTW Lexus is supposed to come out with a cabrio IS300, so this may be
likely.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:24 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a family man... next car is a powerful Sport Sedan... 4 doors!

No more coupe. Let us see the next TL Type-s!
Old 04-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Instructor

No Future CL's

While having my 2001 CL-S serviced, I ran into the General Manager of the dealer in Atlanta, GA where I purchased my Acura-CL. I asked what the future CL was going to look like. His reply was there would be no future CL's. He went on to tell me the new TL was going to be awesome! Too bad, I was hoping for a rear wheel drive CL V8. The GM did not mention anything about a new coupe or convertible.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Racer

By reading the comments, most of us will depart from Acura once we are done with the our CLs. It's a shame that Acura has no intention to encourage us coming back to the showrooms. My next car will not be an Acura based on what are available at the dealers. This reminds me of Volvo 850. Great car with three versions of turbos, and Volvo sold tons of it. After Volvo mysteriously rebadged it S70 and now S60, many Volvo loyals walked away, including myself. I see more Volvo wagons than anything else on the road. I guess Ford has a lot to do with it
Old 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Certified Lurker

My take on all of this crazyness....

First of all, its ridiculous to say that acura will never produce another coupe, whether it be called CL or something else, just as of right now there is no plans for one. I did here the rumors of the S2000 coming over to acura as the S2200, but i dont know if i beleve those rumors, and if they were true, i wouldnt expect it untill atleast the 06 model year. I dont think acura will do a 4 seat convert any time soon. And to the person that said there will be an is300 convert, where the hell did you here that from?

Just my opinion on all this, but i can garuntee you dont expect any 2 door cars from acura till 05 model year at least (and prob a fall intro not an early spring intro)
Old 04-23-2003, 03:37 PM

When Acura made the horrendous business decision of dropping the Legend and changed to RL, etc, it paid a dear price for the mistake----sales died overnight and stayed that way for a few years!!! I feel given the fact that Infinity and other makes are coming out with sports coupes, Acura should really make the CLs a flagship of performance for Acura, which is very affordable. The TSX and RSX are low-end me too type of cars that are already in a very crowded market. What I am trying to say is that Acura should really put some serious effort into CL and make it special.
I agree but would u have bought a RL? I think it's more than just losing the name. Car car is quite sorry for a 45k car.

An affordable flagship is not a flagship. The flagship is usually the most expensive car in the lineup. SO the NSX is the Acura Flagship.

The S2000 will increase to a S2200 with a coupe version possible. I doubt it would be named an Acura as it sells well as a Honda.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:03 PM
__

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree but would u have bought a RL? I think it's more than just losing the name. Car car is quite sorry for a 45k car.
I wouldn't and most here would agree, but I still think it's a great car. Sure I would rather buy any of the other cars the RL competes with. But I know the RL is a great car for my parents, grandparents, and all of there friends. Why? It's a large sedan, great quality, nice interior, RELIABLE, nice price, and FWD (fine for the boring type of people buying this car and even better for the snow).

Sure I would rather have Acura make and market the RL towards the higher-end crowd, but for the small market that they chose, they did a fine job.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Racer

Let's face it, Acura has to change a lot in order to remain competitive. Maybe my car was a bad apple, but in 18.5K, I've had rotors resurfaced 2x, replace rotors 1x, 1 dead tranny, 1 dead passenger side airbag, 1 blown engine seal, horrible paint quality, splitting stiching on the driverside seat.
Yes, all makes have their issues. However, if Acura wants to be thought of as a true luxury brand (or atleast a viable competitor to BMW, Lexus etc.) then they need to get their quality control back up to the levels it was at during the Legend heyday.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by greenmonster

Yeah, I heard the same rumor about the Acura S2000 version too. Maybe they'll add a few things like, thermostatic control, tilt wheel, power seat and a better radio/stereo...who knows, anything is possible?
Old 04-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

I know some of you guys complain about the CL, but in my opinion, it certainly was the best buy for money and value too. I'm still happy with mine...and I would buy it all over again.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Pappy
I know some of you guys complain about the CL, but in my opinion, it certainly was the best buy for money and value too. I'm still happy with mine...and I would buy it all over again.
It was a value when it first came out. Now we are paying for it with low resale, discontinued model, bad tranny, minor creaks/rattle, ......
So yes 3 years ago when I bought it I still would have bought it again, even 2 years ago I would have bought it again. Today there are too many better choices.
I still like the car, but sometimes I think I should have kept my Teg for another 2 years.