Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
some BS mounts....man this sucks
Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Yes 3 different people with 6 speeds having rear mounts that failed & looked exactly the same is a major defective product.
This has been a year + dragging out, & they can't get it right, & they keep trying to make us do their R&D. We are loosing the money on this not them. I will never buy another innovative product & will never recommend them to anyone.
I'm out of this & do not care even if they get it right by 2012.
If anyone want my thoughts from now on PM me.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Bye Bye CL!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jproy
They are all defective!!!
My rear had collapsed after 40 miles.
My front is now collapsed also. I will be removing it and posting pics soon as I take it out. Horrible product. The bushings WILL collapse even if you dont mind the crazy vibrations. The alignment of these bushings is way off. They were not designed with any measure of the word precision in mind. The side mount is the only thing I would consider. These are facts. DO NOT BUY!
This is exactly why I only installed my side mount and have yet to install my front and rear mount... They have been sitting in my garage for nearly six months brand new and untouched...
Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Instructor

How does it feel w/ just the side mount installed?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
That I'll answer cause I kept the side mount. It's fine. Not really a difference. I only kept it cause 1 it was a bitch to deal with cause the 1st batch didn't fit right, took 3 months to get it, & the stock side mount is a POS that keeps tearing.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
That I'll answer cause I kept the side mount. It's fine. Not really a difference. I only kept it cause 1 it was a bitch to deal with cause the 1st batch didn't fit right, took 3 months to get it, & the stock side mount is a POS that keeps tearing.
I agree.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Bye Bye CL!!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
I had mine in for about 6 month, no big difference... waiting for them to get this right so I can install front and side... IF that ever happens
Old 12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
marky mark any news about the conference w/IM?
Sorry guys . . . I've been working like a dog so I can take some vacation time before I lose it.

The answer is nothing . . . I've sent them an email and left several messages and no response to either . . . I'm going to try again today and see what the problem is . . . you'd think they'd want to fix this . . . or make it right. I really feel for the guys who've had to pay someone to do the installs . . . my hindsight says Excelerate should have stopped shipping until the problem was fixed and not have even more folks with lots of frustration. I not sure I want to think about how much it would have cost me if I paid someone . . . I've lost count on how many times I've removed and installed mounts . . .

Anyway, it's been over a month and the horizontal front mount is still holding up. The previous vertical design was showing signs after the same amount of time. I hope it hold out. The set up with the rear OEM is working great . . . so far. I did a few runs (not at the track) and it felt good. There was some minimal wheel hop, but nothing even close to what I had with OEMs all around. So going back to OEMs is not an option for me . . except on the rear.

Right now I've been dealing with some problem after having my nd tranny replaced . . . the replacement is no better and in some cases worse than the one they took . . . maybe it's still the same one . . . On top of it . . it over heated because they left the radiator cap off . . so still dealing with that . . AND a damn oil leak that appears to be the rear main . . . funny how it just started leaking after they replaced the tranny . . . I think they may have screwed that up removing and installing it . . . so taking it back in Monday to give em some grief.

Anyway, enough of my moaning and groaning . . . I hope to have an update soon.

Ruf . . . soon to be Rough Neck

Last edited by RUF87; 12-19-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: sig
Old 12-19-2008, 04:35 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
Right now I've been dealing with some problem after having my nd tranny replaced . . . the replacement is no better and in some cases worse than the one they took . . . maybe it's still the same one . . . On top of it . . it over heated because they left the radiator cap off . . so still dealing with that . . AND a damn oil leak that appears to be the rear main . . . funny how it just started leaking after they replaced the tranny . . . I think they may have screwed that up removing and installing it . . . so taking it back in Monday to give em some grief.
wow that is one horrible install.. where did you get it done ?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Mike
thanks for posting josh. Ruf87 has done extensive testing and the front mount is probably as much of the problem as the rear mount. still waiting to hear back from him on the conference call w/IM.
I have been one of their primary test monkeys . . . and the following experiences are confirmed through multiple tests on my part and results from the masses.

Note 1 . . . The rear mount is without a doubt a MAJOR problem. Under no circumstances would I recommend or let anyone I know buy or install a rear IM mount at this time. The only exceptions are the test monkeys . . .

Note 2 . . . with the vertical design mounts . . . vibrations will NOT improve with time . . but will actually worsen. The problem is that the contact pressure area on those mounts is so small they mounts will elongate in as little as 6 weeks . . . depending on driving conditions. I've tested 3 different bushing compositions and the strongest of which lasted 2 months before degrading . . . and I've double checked my dates and the horizontal mount has been in about 3 months (and still looks like the day I installed it) . . . more than enough time to compare its durability to that of the vertical design.

Note 3 . . . regarding breaking them in . . . there is some truth to this in general, but not in our case. See note 2 . . . as the bushings in the vertical design mounts soften, which in theory could be true . . . these not only soften some . . but they degrade and the vibrations actually worsen. This happened to me with 3 different bushing compositions I tested . . . so I think that's that.

Note 4 . . . Neither Tim or anyone else has produced the name of the 1 person that is supposedly trouble free. No one, I repeat no one on this forum is trouble free. Not even the 6-spds . . . their design lasted longer but eventually one by one they have been posting their problems with vibrations.
If Tim or anyone else will provide that reference . . either myself, jproy or theSentinal would like to speak with that person to determine what is different about their set-up so we can use it and see if it works on our cars.

PS: I've called Tim a 6th time (one more just today) to follow up on a proposal to have a conference call with Tim, Greg and Brian (I believe) and 3the 3 of us I mentioned about. I feel with a good deal of confidence that we have enough feedback that will quickly confirm whether we are on the right track or not.

Personally, I don't believe the vertical design is worth pursuing. While some improvements can be made . . . it will always have less surface area and mass to absorb the necessary vibrations. I'll be even more convinced if the horizontal one I have in the front holds up.

It's really sad because I really do believe we could have the problem resolved by now if Innovative had been more responsive to our calls. Several of us have sufficient experience with cars and engineering to provide key input. We were widely dismissed on our claims of excessive vibrations . . . until I posted the video of my Saturn V rocket blasting off inside my car and validating our claims were not some Sunday driver who felt a little vibration and cried wolf. I've run various types of mounts in my time and I know the difference between a slight or moderate increase . . . these vibrated worse than my 64 Malibu SS with solid steel mounts with over 450hp so if I sound I am.

Anyway . . . I'm willing to give them one more try and if there's not marked improvements . . I'm giving up . . . mostly because that rear mount OEM takes so much time and effort to take in and out.

Ruf
Old 12-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
i have minor vibrations that get a little worse with the AC on. i'm ok with the minor vibrations and expect them but this play-dough effect is an issue. i am not pulling the innovative mounts out due to vibration concerns, more for the dough-ing and dimension concerns.

Now remind me . . . . are you 6-spd?

Ruf
Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by jproy
They are all defective!!!
My rear had collapsed after 40 miles.
My front is now collapsed also. I will be removing it and posting pics soon as I take it out. Horrible product. The bushings WILL collapse even if you dont mind the crazy vibrations. The alignment of these bushings is way off. They were not designed with any measure of the word precision in mind. The side mount is the only thing I would consider. These are facts. DO NOT BUY!
jproy, are these the vertical design? I want to stay up on all the various combinations and experiences so we can speak with confidence with IM and Excelerate.

I'm hoping they are . . .

Ruf
Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
Now remind me . . . . are you 6-spd?

Ruf
oh yes
Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I haven't sold any of these mounts in a long time. Tim recently sent me a few sets with the lastest batch of bushings and he said these were good. Also, from what I remember reading, there is a member on here with the lastest bushing set who has been fine with them.
I believe that would be me, but was meant for the feel only that was after initial install. They have since degraded, granted not as fast but still degradation is just that. I'm giving them till they feel like the original design failed vibration level then going back to OEM. I have put twice as much money into this as i should have.
My recommendation is as follows: Daily/Casual Modding drivers - Do not buy this product, stick with filled OEM mounts and IM side mount (if you want). Aggressive drivers - IM front and side mounts with OEM filled rear mount. Track/Sport Drivers only - All around IM top level bushings, your probably going to be changing these as often as your tires.

Unless we get info on a conference call this may be the last time i'm heard here, till i note when its time to change these out.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Finally had the OEM mounts put in today... was waiting for them in the mail....

OEM FTW! Even though they'll only last approx. 40-50k miles

Anyone want to take them off my hands please PM me... Would only recommend if being used for racing
Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
or highly recommended for full body massages!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
fuzzy Mike ruf distorted everyone i missed,

Is there a surefire way to determine if current OEM mm'ts are broken, craked or otherwise in need of replacement? Stealership tells me two of mine are broken, I'd like to know how i can i.d. this for a fact.

Look at them obviously but i mean what else?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excessive engine movement. Honestly though the only surefire way is to take em out and look at em. Which ones did they say are bad? The front and side are easy to take out. The rear on the other hand is a complete PITA.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

all of the mounts are filled with hydraulic fluid. i have seen pictures posted of torn mounts and have heard of them leaking fluid. i bet the rubber oem mount will start to dry out over time and begin to have small splits and tears. eventually leaking to a full rip and leaking fluid.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had exessive transmission shuttering from my car from 1st to 2nd (Auto) and David McDavid Acura told me I had my front and side mount were bad. After 700.00 later 3 days ago in not so sure. They replaced them and I had them give me back the bad ones for a future poly fill. Well the tranny is still shuttering. WTF?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

auto tranny going kapoop?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hope not it was replaced less than 2k ago.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Soooooooo should I just buy the OEM mounts and forget the aftermarket mounts until the next go around?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by Misdby1
Soooooooo should I just buy the OEM mounts and forget the aftermarket mounts until the next go around?
You are correct!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Instructor

what was the name of that online parts place the forum likes again?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by Misdby1
what was the name of that online parts place the forum likes again?
There are a couple of them:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/partloc...?siteid=214055

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp

and JuniorBean (vendor on here, send him a PM).

I have used all three of them to purchase parts before.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Heh, i probably could have figured those websites out - if I only had a brain...duuuuh. Thanks! UDAMAN!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Instructor

So, when I watch the engin twist back under a load and hear a loud thunk, it would appear to be the cylindrical piece between the brackets that's given out. According to the diagram http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...+ENG+FR+%28%29 It looks like part #3 is what I need. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

at this point oem is your best option.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Man what a waste of time and money these mounts were. My new years resolution get oem mounts back in I can feel every little vibration from my engine now.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
This really sucks because my oem mounts are trashed. Sorry you guys had to go through all of this.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

my IM front mount is causing more and more vibrations. hopefully ruf can get back on this and get some sort of resolution.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
Excessive engine movement. Honestly though the only surefire way is to take em out and look at em. Which ones did they say are bad? The front and side are easy to take out. The rear on the other hand is a complete PITA.
"Front and side." Dealer service did not say which side. Does it matter as to difficulty and cost or are both sides the same? Just got the answer today, thus the delay.

So OEM is the answer?
Woops. Or is it?:
Billy Sacco
Man what a waste of time and money these mounts were. My new years resolution get oem mounts back in I can feel every little vibration from my engine now.
You mean the IM mounts or did you put new OEMs in and it still sucked?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

I went on the dyno a few days ago and when he went WOT, there was engine movement like the OEM mounts......resolution is needed.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON
I went on the dyno a few days ago and when he went WOT, there was engine movement like the OEM mounts......resolution is needed.
i see this as a different issue than the vibration issues. are you saying the IM mounts allowed the same amount of movement at WOT as the stock did?

yes the mounts are stiffer but the engine will still move at WOT due to the amount of torque on the motor in drive. now i don't see how it could move as much as the OEM mounts allowed. the stiffer compound has to reduce overall movement, even at maximum loading.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
i see this as a different issue than the vibration issues. are you saying the IM mounts allowed the same amount of movement at WOT as the stock did?

yes the mounts are stiffer but the engine will still move at WOT due to the amount of torque on the motor in drive. now i don't see how it could move as much as the OEM mounts allowed. the stiffer compound has to reduce overall movement, even at maximum loading.
Well the motor shifted back at WOT... I wouldn't say it was as much with the OEM mounts but I would say it moved 1-1.5" or so. You could be right, maybe it was just from the amount of torque. If the poly compound is doughing, wouldn't that create more engine movement opposed to it being solid?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON
Well the motor shifted back at WOT... I wouldn't say it was as much with the OEM mounts but I would say it moved 1-1.5" or so. You could be right, maybe it was just from the amount of torque. If the poly compound is doughing, wouldn't that create more engine movement opposed to it being solid?
i would think that the doughing has to increase the amount of movement that is allowed by the mounts.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

this is pretty gay...I bought these mounts thinking that they were going to be awsome and with the lifetime warranty...what could go wrong...gay
Old 01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlue
"Front and side." Dealer service did not say which side. Does it matter as to difficulty and cost or are both sides the same? Just got the answer today, thus the delay.

So OEM is the answer?
Woops. Or is it?:
Billy Sacco You mean the IM mounts or did you put new OEMs in and it still sucked?
Sorry have not checked here for a few days. The front and side are not bad at all. You can PM me if you need some hints but if you have a good set of ratchets and sockets its not too bad just need to support the engine with a jack while you swap the front. The side is real easy. I was referring to garbage IM mounts, honestly my rear mount is still good and I have like 100k miles on my car but front and side did go out so those seem to be the common ones. If your unsure of your ability then you can have a mechanic do it but if I can do it I am sure you can too. But alas getting around 60k miles out of OEM seems to be the best option at this point.

Quick Reply: Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**