Imrc Helms Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004 | 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Imrc Helms Help!!!!

ok here's the situation...my IMRC intermitantly does not activate...however i have determined that it will open every time if i manually put the motors pulley in the all the way closed postion...after a cycle it often doesnt return to the full close ...granted the plenum itself is all the way closed and there is slack enough in the cable maybe too much...so my question is one is there a position sensor on the motor my thoughts are that since its not in the closed postion at the motor that it thinks it's already open...or is there a fixed postion switch telling the motor its now closed and when 3800 RPMs are reached it should fire again? the next thing im going to check is this slack in the cable...it may be so loose that the pulley closes and "bounces back"...any help im at 50,900 and i think my dealer would help me out but it seems it should be fixable at home
Old 06-22-2004 | 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

It would be "nice" to pull one apart and see what's inside.

ARE you explaining how it will work with it completely disconnected from the cable.

OR

ARE you explaining how it works with the cable still attached (and you are basically helping it along)?
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by EricL

ARE you explaining how it will work with it completely disconnected from the cable.

OR

ARE you explaining how it works with the cable still attached (and you are basically helping it along)?
with the cable attached and not even helping it but putin the motor in a certain postion thn bliping the throttle
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:13 PM
Team Owner

OR

I swear there was a post not all that long ago from a guy who took his apart and cleaned it and it worked again. I just can't find it
Old 06-23-2004 | 12:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by typeR
with the cable attached and not even helping it but putin the motor in a certain postion thn bliping the throttle

In interested in Steve's comment. It would great to find the pictures of the device internals. It's a rotary solenoid, but...

This is just a quick thought:

If you can actually get a feel of the cable, and check to see that it isn't binding, that would be great. (I have a feeling that there is some "crud" in it, but I can't be sure)

The Helms shows the actuator with two pins. I believe it gets a simple "engage" signal. IOW, it just engaged with battery-level voltage (12.x - 14.4 volts).

Here is a link to the whole Helms diagnostics if you need it (not directly relevant at this moment. I typed in the service/diagnostic procedure from the Helms manual pages):

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...lms#post850946
Old 06-23-2004 | 01:41 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I swear there was a post not all that long ago from a guy who took his apart and cleaned it and it worked again. I just can't find it
that was me... http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138248

funny i had to fix it again yesterday...took it out without taking the strut bars out this time...i think the teeth of the gears keep popping out...

pic:
http://public.fotki.com/e8player/cl/dsc00443.html
Old 06-23-2004 | 05:03 AM
Team Owner

Thanks elite!
Old 06-23-2004 | 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

TypeR:

Take the sucker apart and clean it up.

If you worried about warranty issues, just get the dealer to replace it.
Old 06-26-2004 | 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

TypeR:

Take the sucker apart and clean it up.

If you worried about warranty issues, just get the dealer to replace it.
so i took it apart anyway eventhough the dealers gonna replace it...low and behold the first 3 teeth on the main gear are broken...but after reassembling it it seems to work fine...
Old 06-27-2004 | 01:25 AM
Suzuka Master

so i took it apart anyway eventhough the dealers gonna replace it...low and behold the first 3 teeth on the main gear are broken...but after reassembling it it seems to work fine...

LOL, that's funny about it working with the three teeth missing...

You must have "un-goo'd" it...
Old 06-27-2004 | 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

LOL, that's funny about it working with the three teeth missing...

You must have "un-goo'd" it...
the motor gear is just catching one tooth enough to get it going...
Old 06-27-2004 | 07:26 PM
Elite Member

the motor gear is just catching one tooth enough to get it going...
same situation as me...i have three teeth broken off as well....i guess with me when it misses that one tooth at any given time it wont catch it again until i open it up and realign it...im at 70k...i might have to pony up the $70 for a new actuator if the problem is constant
Old 06-27-2004 | 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ELITE TYPE S
same situation as me...i have three teeth broken off as well....i guess with me when it misses that one tooth at any given time it wont catch it again until i open it up and realign it...im at 70k...i might have to pony up the $70 for a new actuator if the problem is constant
wonder if you can just buy that gear
Old 06-27-2004 | 08:57 PM
Beware of leakage

My question would be, how do many fights does this thing have to fight in before it starts loosing teeth
Old 06-27-2004 | 10:44 PM
Team Owner

wonder if you can just buy that gear

I just checked acuraautomotiveparts.org and they don't list the gear as it's own piece. You need to purchase the entire unit for $86
Old 06-27-2004 | 11:11 PM
Drifting

So is this the IMRC part yall are takeing appart is it the same that has just gone out in my car for the 4th time?? Maybe I should call my dealer and ask them if they still have my last bad one...I would love for them to take it appart and see broken teeth. Are those dears plastic or mettle typeR??

Edit: Hmm mine seemed to be out all of the time not some of the time...typeR would yours come on every now and then unassited?
Old 06-27-2004 | 11:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Got busted?

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I just checked acuraautomotiveparts.org and they don't list the gear as it's own piece. You need to purchase the entire unit for $86
I new a guy that had the nylon gear for a windshield wiper that didn’t had long (think IRMC) and the savings were about 8 to 1. (8 to 1 price difference for wiper motor assembly vs. gear with stripped teeth.). And, it was interesting to note that the wiper assemblies that were rebuilt with the new nylon gears lasted for a very, very .... very long time.)

Anyone have a busted one they want to send off someday?

BTW, the savings wouldn't be nearly as great; the wiper gear was just nylon with a metal shaft.
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:32 AM
Drifting

[QUOTE=EricL]

[\QUOTE]

Well I just had my 4th one go out and so far the longest they have lasted in order is about 2,5,5,3 months they have lasted). I also have 43k miles on the car so my warrantee will be up soon. I so far don't have much faith that this one will last over 5 months but I might be over 50k by then. So since the imrc has a 1 year warrantee on its self I still should not have to pay but I can then keep it I guess. So if that does happen I will send the busted one out to you if you want.
Old 06-28-2004 | 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=NOLACLS]

[\QUOTE]

Well I just had my 4th one go out and so far the longest they have lasted in order is about 2,5,5,3 months they have lasted). I also have 43k miles on the car so my warrantee will be up soon. I so far don't have much faith that this one will last over 5 months but I might be over 50k by then. So since the imrc has a 1 year warrantee on its self I still should not have to pay but I can then keep it I guess. So if that does happen I will send the busted one out to you if you want.

Ok, thanks.

OTOH, hopefully this current one finally lasts a while.
Old 06-29-2004 | 07:22 AM
Drifting

Ok, thanks.

OTOH, hopefully this current one finally lasts a while.
I hope so to...but going from what has been going on...I really dont see it lasting. I just hope it does it in a manner that I can still get it fixed for free. ITs really going to burn my ass if I have to shell out 100 bucks ever time this damn thing goes out.