IM F'D! need help from everyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sidemarker
no bypass vavle but it is still not clear what happened...

sidemarker
Is it clear what specifically needs to be fixed. If not, I'd tow it somwhere else.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ModAddict
I assume all the fluid levels are ok and not burnt, or it would be kind of clear what the problem is. I wonder if they pulled any codes from the ecu, what they were, and then if they tried to reset the ecu.

well i pretty much had to beg them to check the timing belt but it turned out ok

when i checked the oil the night it happend my oil level was good and so was the color

the only check engine code they got was a engine misfire

so im pretty much stuck in the mud right now...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ModAddict
Is it clear what specifically needs to be fixed. If not, I'd tow it somwhere else.
well at this point i have to leave it where it is

IF i get mastetech to reverse the decision then the work would have to be there

at the same time the dealership is trying to figure out what exactly needs to be replaced also they are looking for a new motor for me

third there are no other acura dealerships in my city and the nearsest ones would be in austin and ive heard bad stuff from both dealerships

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

the only thing i know is that i have broken internal parts

dont know which one to be exact. the car is knocking. it appears to only start when you press the gas while turning on the car and even when its on it just makes a loud whining noise and something is burning

the stuff i remember the dealership saying was bent valves broken pistons and some other stuff...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
however unless NiteQuill can give me the direct contact of the person who authorized the claim and was also aware that the car was moded then maybe i have something.
I'll try my best to find the invoice and repair order, but this was almost 3 years ago, so I may have to do some digging. I'll definitely let you know.

When my engine was replaced under warranty, they too blamed the mods. I politely asked that they prove it to me in writting as per the law. They resent the inspector and found that no fault on my part even with modifications.

What year is your car? They may have revised the warranty policy since. I received mine at around 1400 miles in 2000 from a VW dealer, it's a 7 year 100K, $0 deductible, it cost around $1400 I think.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:21 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Damn dude, sorry to hear about the problem. Hope it works out ok.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Rollin'... White 2 seater

I would pay to fee tha tit took to have the car diagnosed and then take the car to another service site. Someone such as carmax or another large coorperation/ dealership. The way that the mechanic report the problem is wht make the adjusted come inspect the car, the dealership sounds like they have aissue wiht you or your modification. For that reason you need to take the car to another party and wait to send in that letter. I might need asecond to cool off, but it might work, especially if you speak to the mechanic that will be working on your vehicle and inform him of the previous situation. If he feels the mods didn't cause the issue he can help alot.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Adventurist.

In addition, my VW dealer is a mod friendly dealer, so that may have contributed to my success
Old 10-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Beware of leakage

and from what I have gathered your dealer is NOT mod friendly, right Eric?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Say you dropped a heavy weight on your intake and had to change it... the OEM part was too expensive, so you got a CARB legal replacement.

Then say you scraped your header and had to replace it - the OEM part was too expensive, so you got a CARB legal replacement.

They can't fuck you on I/H/E - it has nothing to do with the motor blowing up!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Safety Car

Take it to another dealer and start over - their internal network is not setup yet. Also, put the stock parts back on... simple!! You arn't screwing them... you didn't blow up the motor on NOS or whatever...
Old 10-13-2004, 08:40 PM
i like orange juice

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Take it to another dealer and start over - their internal network is not setup yet. Also, put the stock parts back on... simple!! You arn't screwing them... you didn't blow up the motor on NOS or whatever...
i wish we could do that..here in San antonio..we have one acura dealership
Old 10-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

There IS another acura dealer in Texas, correct?!? If its worth it to save $7K, then you should do it!!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:48 PM
i like orange juice

There IS another acura dealer in Texas, correct?!? If its worth it to save $7K, then you should do it!!
true.......maybe eric will take a road trip and we can make another meet out of this...
Old 10-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

well

first i would have to install all my oem parts

i would still need oem sway bars, stock intake and mufflers

then the tow would be about 300 bucks to the next dealership

and then the whole bs again

also, mastertech has also made notes on my car so no matter what dealer i take it to i have a void warranty!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Banned

Guys it does not matter to what dealership he goes to his dealership outscoured the ext warranty to another company, the only way his tranny is going to get fixed is if you go to Mod friendly dealer.

Any other problem other then the tranny will probably have to be paid for as the ext warrenty he has is not acura

i'd just get a lawyer to handle it
Old 10-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F900
Guys it does not matter to what dealership he goes to his dealership outscoured the ext warranty to another company, the only way his tranny is going to get fixed is if you go to Mod friendly dealer.

Any other problem other then the tranny will probably have to be paid for as the ext warrenty he has is not acura

i'd just get a lawyer to handle it

i wish this was a tranny problem!!!!

anyways im trying to write this bull shit for them so i think this the angle im taking

1st i will remind them of the m-m warranty act. then i will aruge that my so called "modicfications" are not mods instead they are OEM replacements. I mean will that work. so like what allmotor said if my mufflers get torn up and i replace them i dont have to replace them with OEM parts? and still have warranty coverage?

the ext warranty contract states "modifications" there is nothing in there that says no aftermarket parts. so i have some arguement there right? help me out??

next i will explain how its unfair the way they handled my claim how only 3 weeks ago they authorized a 1500 job just to fix the a/c and now because this problem costs more they deny coverage right away

then i will explain how I "know people" that have used the mastertech coverage before and got claims authorized eventhough they had "aftermarket parts"

anyone have any other ideas or would like to help me write this stuff im way too stress to even get this started...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

my biggest arguement will be that i dont have mods i have aftermarket "replacements"

i think the only "modifciation" i have is the neuspeed swaybar but could that be considered suspension?

oh shit i think it does because its mounted on the front struts. but even if they dont notice that i dont have mods right???

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

what is technically considered the "powertrain"

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

is there anyway i can support the arugement that aftermarket parts are OEM replacements???

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Your problem is definately the dealer. They're a bunch of dicks. It's a good idea to go to another dealer, however, unfortunately your warrenty company has all the info on your car and if it shows up at another dealer without the "mods" you may face problems with fraud.
I spoke to one of the repair guys after I got my CL and he told me that if I ever had a problem with warrenty due to mods, I should first go to the Service Manager if the rep gives me a hard time. If that don't work, go to the Dealership Manager, then the District Manager and so on. A lawyer will help.
Hope it works out for you.
Maybe you can look into a salvage/wreck CL that you can strip the engine out off. Then sell the rest for parts.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Advanced

here is a few links for you I just found.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss
http://www.ravelco.net/magnusonmossact.htm
I believe the first page has a number or address to report them and the Federal Trade Commission number is on both sites. I hope this can be of some use to you.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Advanced

is there anyway i can support the arugement that aftermarket parts are OEM replacements???

sidemarker
it doesn't matter if they are aftermarket or OEM replacements, if they can't prove that it had an effect on your current problems they don't have a case, get a lawyer and take them to court
Old 10-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Does your cold air intake have a bypass valve on it?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fantom
Does your cold air intake have a bypass valve on it?

no it does not and no i did not drive it in high waters or anything like that. it was a normal night just going home and bam car stalls!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

so even if i do get a lawyer what kind of a lawer we talkin about??

plust lawyers are like 100 bucks an hour i might as well just buy a new car then

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Advanced

A good lawyer don't know what kind. Tell them you want a settlement of damages to your vehicle, court costs and lawyer cost. Then if you want to buy more parts once it's fix you tell them now it really messed with your head and you want more money.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Advanced

and to everyone asking about the bypass for the intake, they don't do crap anyway, i've had an injen cold air on my 3.0 since i bought it in july and ross probaly had it on there since 2001, the bypass in my mind is a way for companies to make more money. Unless your driving thru a river nothing is gonna happen to your motor.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by C-Cook
A good lawyer don't know what kind. Tell them you want a settlement of damages to your vehicle, court costs and lawyer cost. Then if you want to buy more parts once it's fix you tell them now it really messed with your head and you want more money.
does anyone want to take over this headache for mre???

this is the big problem getting a lawyer aint going to do crap. they are an insurance company with lots of laywers and lots of time. If i get a lawyer this stuff will not get resloved til 2010 and i need car by next week

fuck this warranty company i know for sure im going to cancel this shit regardless what happens and make sure i never deal with this company again

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Advanced

actually why don't you print that stuff out and take it to them and tell them if they can't prove it right then and there your sueing, then maybe they'll get scared and do something, they're just acting stupid so they don't have to do the work and they know many people don't know about this law, if i wouldn't of went to school for mobile electronics I wouldn't of known about it. Hope everything works out for you but that's about all I can think of.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

(i) Put your stock stuff back - leave the suspension alone...
(ii) Get a AAA-Plus membership or become good friends with someone who does (pay them like $100 or something)
(iii) You get a 100-mile free tow... maybe you need two successive tows, but I am quite certain there's a dealership either within a 100-mile radius or 200-mile radius
(iv) Go to the new dealer

See... if you were to fight it with your current dealer and involve lawyers, your car will sit around for 6 months! Just put the stock stuff back on and take it to another dealer.... you might get everything fixed within 1 week - I think its worth it to try!!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Adventurist.

(iii) You get a 100-mile free tow... maybe you need two successive tows, but I am quite certain there's a dealership either within a 100-mile radius or 200-mile radius
(iv) Go to the new dealer
In San Antonio, there's nothing around there. Closest would be Austin or Houston, a little more than that. I know b/c I lived there for almost 2 years.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Safety Car

Wow... do you have a friend that can tow you w/ a trailer? Try to get a U-Haul truck... that might be cheaper than a tow-truck!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Adventurist.

Wow... do you have a friend that can tow you w/ a trailer? Try to get a U-Haul truck... that might be cheaper than a tow-truck!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can't fuck you on I/H/E - it has nothing to do with the motor blowing up!

If he signed a contract that said any modifications void the coverage they can...

Wierd they didn't advise him of that when he purchased it. Kinda shady if you ask me... especially if he had any of his mods installed at the dealer...
Old 10-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Aftermarket "bolt-ons" really aren't modifications. They do the exact same thing as the OEM components, they just do it better Think of them as replacement parts.

Does this mean if you got in an accident, and they replaced your rear bumper with a replica not made by Honda/Acura they could void your warranty? Its not like his "modifications" have altered anything permanently, they only replaced certain parts.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
If he signed a contract that said any modifications void the coverage they can...

Wierd they didn't advise him of that when he purchased it. Kinda shady if you ask me... especially if he had any of his mods installed at the dealer...

Caveat emptor... buyer beware. They don't have to tell you shit about what you're signing. It's the buyer's responsibility to read it.

I beginning to believe that no matter where he takes the car, the warranty company is gonna deny it. They have record of the incident and he's not just gonna walk into another dealer and start over.

See if you can find a lawyer that takes a contingency (only gets paid if you win) Get a free consultation (at least they'll tell you if you have a chance of winning)

This situation sucks BTW.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Aftermarket "bolt-ons" really aren't modifications. They do the exact same thing as the OEM components, they just do it better Think of them as replacement parts.

Does this mean if you got in an accident, and they replaced your rear bumper with a replica not made by Honda/Acura they could void your warranty? Its not like his "modifications" have altered anything permanently, they only replaced certain parts.
As funny as it sounds, YES. If they can prove the item caused the damage. i.e. you go out and buy non-Honda coolant and your radiator rots within the warranty period. If for some stupid reason you told them you use no-name antifreeze, AND they could prove that caused the damage, they could technically deny you.

Same with motor oil, use the wrong weight/viscosity which causes the engine to seize and they can deny you.

Not to side with Acura, but what if they let anyone do anything they wanted to their car and still had to honor warranties. What a fucking mess it would be for Acura.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Instructor

, but if the dealer installs the mods. then it should be stated or signed off then
that these mods will void your warranty.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03 CLS
, but if the dealer installs the mods. then it should be stated or signed off then
that these mods will void your warranty.
Goes without saying. Mod friendly dealers can be your best friend.