Old 10-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IM F'D! need help from everyone

Well as some of yall know my problem

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156682

and then my situation

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156732

I called the acura dealership today and well the extended warranty company sent an adjuster to look at my damage. Well let say they fucked me in the ass pretty bad. THEY DENIED THE CLAIM DUE TO MODIFICATIONS. specifically all my mods from i/h/e to suspension work

well i know some of yall are in disbelief well I called the extended warranty company (mastertech) and they told me that in the contract it stipulates the under the noncovered conditions any modifications will void the warranty. Well i cited the Magnuson-Moss Act
and the guy never heard of it. Since he has no authorization to do any overturning the decision the only thing i can do to appeal it is send a letter to their review community.

So I get home and check the copy of the warranty contract and it reads

Misuse or abuse: Neglicgence, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper adjustments or repairs, installation of parts not equivalent in quality and design to parts supplied by manufacture or add-on parts.

Where should i go from here. the only thing i can right now is sending the damn letter to the review board. but im not 100% sure what i should say. He suggested that i just explain my situation but I really want them to take me seriously.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

FUCK ACURA FUCK THE WARRANTY COMPANY

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh and to make matters worse

I will most likely need a new engine

$7k and i dont have it!!!!!!!!!!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
you should probably talk to a lawyer if the warranty company denies you.

do they even know what's wrong w/ it yet?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Let me just warn some of yall too

please read your extended warranty contract closely regardless if its honda care or acura care

the guy told me they all say the same thing. Mods will void the warranty!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 06:51 PM
i like orange juice

man that sucks eric..hope things turn out the way you want them to
Old 10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mattg
you should probably talk to a lawyer if the warranty company denies you.

do they even know what's wrong w/ it yet?

well i dont think anyone knows for sure just speculations

havent really discussed it with the dealership yet but im pretty sure they wont say much and the adjuster said it was not clear what the problem was

and i dont even know what the hell went wrong!

dealership said that the timing belt was in "perfect timing" but who knows. i know i didnt do anything out of the oridinary when i was driving it too. and the last person to drive my car was the dealership 3 weeks ago!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

ok so even if i do talk to a lawyer what kind of a lawyer should i talk to? i dont even know if its worth getting a laywer if it costs me more then the actual repair cost!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which company did you use for the extended warranty? is it a honda warranty?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

oh here is some more stuff from the contract

When YOUR VEHICLE has been modified with any alterations of the powertrain, the suspension (including tire or wheel sizes or offsets) or the exhaust system not approved by the manufacture of YOUR VEHICLE.

damn this sucks balls!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Which company did you use for the extended warranty? is it a honda warranty?
well my dealership uses this company MASTERTECH. I thought it was going to be acura care but i was wrong when i got the contract in the mail.

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

can anyone find me anything similar in their acura care extended warranty contract???

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm going to go look now. I not sure which one i have
Old 10-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Go Cubs!!!

Like i said b4, i had the same problem, they voided my warranty because of my mods.......just put everything stock back on, trade it in to another company and tell them that you have no acknowledgement of any serious problems and take the small hit you might take on the trade in, compared to the big hit you take on fixing your car.

This in all would be of course if you are SOL! then i would do the above stated.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Beware of leakage

Damn Eric, this really is terrible news. Now, after all the talk of mods not voiding warranties, and the
Magnuson-Moss Act, is it all just speculation ? We need a legal ruling and insight here.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by 3.2cl-s
Like i said b4, i had the same problem, they voided my warranty because of my mods.......just put everything stock back on, trade it in to another company and tell them that you have no acknowledgement of any serious problems and take the small hit you might take on the trade in, compared to the big hit you take on fixing your car.

This in all would be of course if you are SOL! then i would do the above stated.
Not starting a flame war, but how can he trade in a car that doesn't work
Old 10-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 3.2cl-s

well i know if i traded my car in to the dealership they will give a whopping 13k minus a new motor 7k= 6k!

wow i cant even use that as a full downpayment on a new car

this blows...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I am dead serious if someone wants to give me 10k for the car the way it is with all the mods ill give it up

at least i could put a downpayment on something decent...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have Acura care to 100k

Page 5 Section D
D. Repairs needed in whole or in part due to:

- misuse or abuse (e.g. overloading, racing, or snow plowing), or from negligence, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper towing, improper adjustments or servicing, or using the vehicle in any manner not recommended by AMERICAN HONDA.
If you have a mod friendly dealer and you need something for the Honda warranty there is no inspector sent. So it isn't as big of a deal. Especially since I had my dealership install ALL of my mods. And they have warrantied my car with them on (prior to 50k). I haven't tested my extended yet, but I will be soon.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=SiGGy]I have Acura care to 100k

Page 5 Section D
D. Repairs needed in whole or in part due to:

- misuse or abuse (e.g. overloading, racing, or snow plowing), or from negligence, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper towing, improper adjustments or servicing, or using the vehicle in any manner not recommended by AMERICAN HONDA>
[/quote[

If you have a mod firendly dealer and you need something for the Honda warranty there is no inspector sent. So it isn't as big of a deal. Especially since I had my dealership install ALL of my mods. And they have warrantied my car with them on (prior to 50k). I haven't tested my extended yet, but I will be soon.
well let me put it to you this way

my ac compressor went out 3 weeks ago they didnt need to send out an adjuster so i got taken care of under the extended warranty now if you have major problem like the one im having im pretty damn sure they will send out an adjuster to look at the car and then you COULD be screwed too...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

does anyone know for sure if the Magnuson-Moss Act covers all aspects of a warranty claim or just for "manufacture warranty claims"

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Just looking thru my MECP book and found it. The Magnuson-Moss Act states that it is a violation of antitrust laws for a manufacturer (or its authorized representative) to #1. condition a warranty on the purchase and use of its own parts and service #2. refuse to honor a warranty unless the manufacturer can show that an aftermarket accessory is the cause of a particular malfunction otherwise covered by the warranty.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
They can't deny you the claim due to modifications unless the problem is proven to be caused by one of your modifications. I too have the MasterTech Extended Warranty on my VW and numerous times I have used it to cover repair costs above and beyond what I could afford (new engine due to oil pressure problems, numerous engine management sensors, etc.), and not to mention, my VW is not exactly "stock" in any way. All in all, I call BS.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does your cold air intake have a bypass valve on it?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Beware of leakage

Not disagreeing with you Eric, but why would they need to send out an inspector if you have the Honda EXT warranty. Shouldn't the dealership (assuming it is a Honda/Acura dealer) inspecting the car be able to determine whether something will be covered under a warranty or not. I mean they have the right to throw out a claim when the car is in the initial factory warranty, so why would it be different with an 'Honda/Acura' Authroized extended warranty.
see what I mean ?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by C-Cook
Just looking thru my MECP book and found it. The Magnuson-Moss Act states that it is a violation of antitrust laws for a manufacturer (or its authorized representative) to #1. condition a warranty on the purchase and use of its own parts and service #2. refuse to honor a warranty unless the manufacturer can show that an aftermarket accessory is the cause of a particular malfunction otherwise covered by the warranty.
so authorized representative= the extended warranty?

if so then this should work right?

cause everything i read its about manufacture warranty BUT this is an extended warranty so it cant be the same as a manufacture warranty????

sidemarker
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by sidemarker
well let me put it to you this way

my ac compressor went out 3 weeks ago they didnt need to send out an adjuster so i got taken care of under the extended warranty now if you have major problem like the one im having im pretty damn sure they will send out an adjuster to look at the car and then you COULD be screwed too...

sidemarker
No, you need to read your agreement better. Any major repairs from a 3rd party warranty company requires an inspector. I have had a few in the past, and had the same experience with them. Basically it's anything over X in value they need to send a inspector. It will say what X is in your agreement and it states that it requires a inspector for approval. Keep in mind it's a 3rd party contract, it like buying insurance from State Farm for anything that can break on your car. Of course they are going to verify it's broken 1st. It'd be too easy to do claim fraud if they didn't.

Honda warranty does not require a inspector for any repair, the dealer determines what needs to be done.
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Chopper
Not disagreeing with you Eric, but why would they need to send out an inspector if you have the Honda EXT warranty. Shouldn't the dealership (assuming it is a Honda/Acura dealer) inspecting the car be able to determine whether something will be covered under a warranty or not. I mean they have the right to throw out a claim when the car is in the initial factory warranty, so why would it be different with an 'Honda/Acura' Authroized extended warranty.
see what I mean ?
Because it's not Honda/Acura footing the bill, it's MasterTech giving the dealership the money.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
They can't deny you the claim due to modifications unless the problem is proven to be caused by one of your modifications. I too have the MasterTech Extended Warranty on my VW and numerous times I have used it to cover repair costs above and beyond what I could afford (new engine due to oil pressure problems, numerous engine management sensors, etc.), and not to mention, my VW is not exactly "stock" in any way. All in all, I call BS.

^^ with the above stated, it looks as if they are blowing large clouds of smoke up you anus.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

see what I mean ?
Andy first of all its not an acura warranty. my dealership outscoured a warranty company (mastertech) so in order for mastertech to authorize any repair they have to send out an inspector. Since my first repair (compressor) is no where near the damage of a motor they just went ahead and authorized over the phone. but i guess this type of damage is very costly they send someone out to find a freaking loop hole to void my warranty!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SiGGy
No, you need to read your agreement better. Any major repairs from a 3rd party warranty company requires an inspector. I have had a few in the past, and had the same experience with them. Basically it's anything over X in value they need to send a inspector. It will say what X is in your agreement and it states that it requires a inspector for approval. Keep in mind it's a 3rd party contract, it like buying insurance from State Farm for anything that can break on your car. Of course they are going to verify it's broken 1st. It'd be too easy to do claim fraud if they didn't.

Honda warranty does not require a inspector for any repair, the dealer determines what needs to be done.
so i guess one of the most important lesson to learn from this

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY MAKE SURE ITS FROM THE ACTUAL MANUFACTURE!!!

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

so i guess i should go battle my dealership too

but damn im just a little guy against these big guns...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Because it's not Honda/Acura footing the bill, it's MasterTech giving the dealership the money.
Right. I understand that . My statement was more comparing the Mastertech to the 'Acura Care', it's an irrelevant statement , disregard.

Andy first of all its not an acura warranty. my dealership outscoured a warranty company (mastertech) so in order for mastertech to authorize any repair they have to send out an inspector. Since my first repair (compressor) is no where near the damage of a motor they just went ahead and authorized over the phone. but i guess this type of damage is very costly they send someone out to find a freaking loop hole to void my warranty!

sidemarker
I know, it was irrelevant. I wasn't trying to aggrevate you. I more so commenting on the fact that you were quoting SiGGy, and telling him that he may be in for trouble.

Nevertheless, with what NiteQuill mentioned about the Mastertech, you still have al eg to stand on. Did you buy the warranty with the car ? Or did you buy the warranty with the mods on the car ?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Advanced

so authorized representative= the extended warranty?

if so then this should work right?

cause everything i read its about manufacture warranty BUT this is an extended warranty so it cant be the same as a manufacture warranty????

sidemarker
Should be the same, I don't see how they can deny you if the manufacturer can't. Don't know if this will help at all but the wrote the number for the Federal Trade Commission underneath it so try calling them (202)326-2222.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Beware of leakage

so i guess i should go battle my dealership too

but damn im just a little guy against these big guns...

sidemarker
Ah but you have us (in spirit) on your side, and that makes you bigger than they are
Old 10-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

so i guess one of the most important lesson to learn from this

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY MAKE SURE ITS FROM THE ACTUAL MANUFACTURE!!!

sidemarker

Well my experience with a 3rd party warranty went like this.

96 Jeep grand Cheroke 5.2L V8 all time 4wd.

A/C stopped working, they fixed it no questions asked. (twice)

My transfer case started acting up, I needed a rebuild.
They put me in a rental car, and told me they'd call .

5 day later...
They called, inspector came out and wasn't happy with what they found and asked them to disassemble the xfer case completely.

another 5 days later the inspector came out again and agreed the xfer case needed a full rebuild. He authorized it.

7 days later mechanics found more problems in the drive train (bearings on the rear end) inspector sent out again (approved immediately)

Another 4 days later my car was ready, so I was out of my car for 3 weeks or so but they took care of me. it just took a long time. Without the inspector work could have been completed in a week.

I decided at that point I would never get a 3rd party warranty again if I could avoid it. I didn't have any of the problems your having. But the only mods to my Jeepy I had done was a stereo system and some big tires.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Right. I understand that . My statement was more comparing the Mastertech to the 'Acura Care', it's an irrelevant statement , disregard.

I know, it was irrelevant. I wasn't trying to aggrevate you. I more so commenting on the fact that you were quoting SiGGy, and telling him that he may be in for trouble.

Nevertheless, with what NiteQuill mentioned about the Mastertech, you still have al eg to stand on. Did you buy the warranty with the car ? Or did you buy the warranty with the mods on the car ?

andy dont worry im not aggrevated.

however unless NiteQuill can give me the direct contact of the person who authorized the claim and was also aware that the car was moded then maybe i have something.

i could say that there are evidence of repair when a car was moded but how the heck could i prove that to them??

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ModAddict
Does your cold air intake have a bypass valve on it?
I thought maybe you sucked up pieces of the bypass into the throttle body or intake,... in which case it could be an easy fix, perhaps.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ModAddict
I thought maybe you sucked up pieces of the bypass into the throttle body or intake,... in which case it could be an easy fix, perhaps.

no bypass vavle but it is still not clear what happened...

sidemarker
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

no bypass vavle but it is still not clear what happened...

sidemarker

My engine has been funky since my last tranny died. My engine over-rev'd twice when I was driving home.

When the trans fails and it dumps into second gear while your going 70mph you over-rev the engine. I even had the code in the ECU when they read it.

I hope you get some relief my man, i've been in your shoes before
Old 10-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I assume all the fluid levels are ok and not burnt, or it would be kind of clear what the problem is. I wonder if they pulled any codes from the ecu, what they were, and then if they tried to reset the ecu.