IAT - Pre/Post Thermoblock

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:13 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know of any good sources in So Cal that would be able to install this mod for me? I don't trust myself to do it =/.

Real interested in this mod.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by darrinb
mine should be arriving any day now
Okay Darrin . . . it's been like a week almost and no werd from you on this . . .

So did you get? Is it installed already . . . that's it isn't it . . . you got it and are burning up the streets with all that new found HP.

Ruf
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting installed on saturday!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro

Installed. Had to pick up a torque wrench that I have been putting off buying anyway, but worth the cost totally. After thoughts: simple straight forward installation, but tricky on some points. The back to back bolt trick didn't work as easily as described. You really have to tighten those guys back to back to work. Also If you feel like you have torqed the bolt the right amount and the torque wrench isn't "clicking," don't troque anymore! I felt like I was borderline stripping some of the bolts when tightening them and the troque wrench didn't give. I actually broke off one of the 10mm bolts for the top aluminum cover by trusting the troque wrench. I knew when I should have stoped but waited for the "click...." instead i heard "snap." Easy fix though. Took me about four hours buy myself. I've never done any internal motor work...
Feelings on the mod: didn't feel too much of a difference in terms of power, but the intake manifold was much cooler. I did a 90 MPH run for about 5 mins from a friends house just now and I popped the hood and felt just a warm, not blazing hot like normal, intake manifold. I will definatly be checking my fluids after a week!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Banned

I'm Interested... But i've no experience taking a engine apart lol ... Any recommendations to who i can take it for installation in S Florida ??, I've no problem paying but it has to be done correct.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,308 Likes on 961 Posts
I might have a mechanic for you. Throw me a PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

^^^ thanks but i'll probably take it to the dealer for installation.

any updates from you guys who have installed it ?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,308 Likes on 961 Posts
LOL. He works at Holman.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:23 PM
///M POWER

installed today:

its been in the 30's latley but it got up to 48 today, even though it was a bit warmer i never have felt my car pull this hard, even after going wot numerous times on the way home when i got home and popped the hood the tb and intake werent even warm

mod is def worth the 100 dollars, great cheap mod to pick uo
Old 03-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I was all for this mod before I read about the burning oil/coolant issues. I'm here in the Arizona desert, so I'm not so sure anymore. I'm especially worried about what this would mean for warranty since in theory my coolant/oil levels could get low..any opinions/advices? How often would I need to top off the oil/coolant? (How much burn are we talking about?)
Old 03-26-2005, 11:37 PM
///M POWER

went out driving again tonight in the cooler weather, first time i have ever gotton wheel hop on the street on dry pavement

def happy with my purchase
Old 03-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by unlemming
I was all for this mod before I read about the burning oil/coolant issues. I'm here in the Arizona desert, so I'm not so sure anymore. I'm especially worried about what this would mean for warranty since in theory my coolant/oil levels could get low..any opinions/advices? How often would I need to top off the oil/coolant? (How much burn are we talking about?)

I did not think there where any issues, as stated on there website...

"What are the negative side effects of running with ThermoBlok spacers?

None. Seriously. Outlaw Engineering does not know of any drawbacks to the use of properly installed ThermoBlok spacers. In addition to power increases, we have received reports of better gas mileage, better sounding induction noise, and longer life of underhood components such as hoses do to reduced temperature to name a few. "

Anyone ????
Old 03-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Does anyone know of any good sources in So Cal that would be able to install this mod for me? I don't trust myself to do it =/.

Real interested in this mod.
PM me...
Old 03-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by unlemming
Its really not that big of a deal to worry about. Just check the coolant and oil every 2 weeks or so just to make sure its all still there. You wont have any problems with the warrenty as long as you keep an eye on everything.

Think of this as a perk of modding your car. Im pretty sure that all the guys with SCs and turbos are constantally under their hoods to make sure they have enough coolant and oil.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:28 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by F900
I did not think there where any issues, as stated on there website...

"What are the negative side effects of running with ThermoBlok spacers?

None. Seriously. Outlaw Engineering does not know of any drawbacks to the use of properly installed ThermoBlok spacers. In addition to power increases, we have received reports of better gas mileage, better sounding induction noise, and longer life of underhood components such as hoses do to reduced temperature to name a few. "

Anyone ????

While is always a good ideal to keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels, the installation of these spacers do not increase the consumption of either oil or coolant.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Okay, would one of the elite motorheads care to comment why there would be an issue with coolant or oil loss/usage with this mod?

Not having seen the part or having installed one I can't imagine how this would be possible. I've put spacer type mods on many of cars and never heard of this side effect.

The only thing that comes to mind as a possiblity is that of not using the cooling hoses I've heard that some don't end up using.

Allmotor? Scalbert? Smitty? Others . . . care to chime in?

Ruf
Old 03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the theory is because the heat is now not being absorbed by the intake manafold or the TB, the engine block itself is having to take all the heat and with not having as much surface area to radiate out of the engine - it could run hotter...though I cant imagine it being much more, and like most people have said, if the fluids are slightly off - just add some
Old 03-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by ou sig
the theory is because the heat is now not being absorbed by the intake manafold or the TB, the engine block itself is having to take all the heat and with not having as much surface area to radiate out of the engine - it could run hotter...though I cant imagine it being much more, and like most people have said, if the fluids are slightly off - just add some
I am trying to find the link where I was reading about this. It was on one of the subaru sites. They did find that the heads were running slightly warmer with the spacers. They did mention that they were using slightly more oil and coolant but some of those guys are also heavily modded which doesnt help.

Since I have had the spacers in for a few weeks now I did notice an increase in the oil use and have had to top up my coolant once. However, the temp outside has been quite cold so it should be interesting to see how everything is in the summer.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RUF87
Okay, would one of the elite motorheads care to comment why there would be an issue with coolant or oil loss/usage with this mod?

Not having seen the part or having installed one I can't imagine how this would be possible. I've put spacer type mods on many of cars and never heard of this side effect.

The only thing that comes to mind as a possiblity is that of not using the cooling hoses I've heard that some don't end up using.

Allmotor? Scalbert? Smitty? Others . . . care to chime in?

Ruf
I don't see the block (which is a huge mass) getting hotter... if anything the thermostat would open more often and cool it down. It's not like the fan is running all the time... meaning that the cooling system is not stressed. ECT is maintained by the thermostat. If you run the Mugen T-stat, you will just run cooler. If you look at the place where the Thermoblock goes... its not much material... just 6 large holes (runners) with some material around them - I don't
see the IM helping much with heat soak.

The coolant/oil differences are subjective. There is no reason for coolant to drop, and I don't quite understand oil consumption. I should check inside my manifold to see if it is sucking up more oil (easy to check... just open the top cover).

Just my $0.02, but don't immediately assume oil/coolant loss just based on some posts somewhere!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Pro

Unless your coolant system is already maxed out, which it should not be, your thermostat should be able to compensate if the heat does increase.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:51 PM
///M POWER

i'll keep an eye out for my fluid levels, how do ya check the coolant level???