Help find a new home for Acura-CL.com.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 01:57 AM
jit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by WëbTðkér:
<STRONG>Hey guys, just FYI, the site gets about 5000 visitors a day, thats vistors not hits. The bandwidth graphs say we are running at a average of 350 - 400 kbits per second.</STRONG>
so lets say on average each visitor comes to this site 4 times a day...thats 20k hits a day... 600k a month. banners /ads maybe for future paid hosting?
Old 08-08-2001, 05:52 AM
2nd Gear

We still have room
Old 08-08-2001, 12:46 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys are over dramatic. Seriously!

The site isnt going away... and you guys arent going either. Face it... your my big booty hoes! heh

Seriously though, 400kbps is very doable... we will find something. Assuming we have a little bit of time... we can get something together. There will prolly be downtime as we ship our server from its old home to our new. But we'll let ya know ahead of time and well set-up a backup.

As for you other guys...

E-mail... sorry if I dont respond lately... I get about 800 e-mails per day at my ACL.com address, heh. Its The lack of a PC with inet access at home right now limits how many I can respond too. Its rare anyone asks me anything important anyway. lol, If it is important... and Im not responding... talk to Ken (Satin01cl@acura-cl.com)... he will help you out. As for the car questions... dont ask me... ask in the forum. About 500 of those e-mails are asking me something technical about the car... I dont know maaang!

As for the non-cashed checks... I stopped cashing incoming checks as soon as we payed for the server... why take money from you we no longer needed? I have all the uncashed checks in a safe place and if you really want me to take your money I will. hehe...

Anyway, back to point... were looking into our options... maybe this topic was premature but I figured SOMEONE here besides Calvin was in the "bizness"

I'll keep ya up-to-date.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by soopa:
<STRONG>E-mail... sorry if I dont respond lately... I get about 800 e-mails per day at my ACL.com address, heh. I</STRONG>
I thought you were just ignoring me... Oh well, but I did sent an email to both you and Webtoker.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:36 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in da bizniss but i'm at a university and that much traffic would cause problems
Old 08-08-2001, 05:16 PM

<STRONG>maybe this topic was premature but I figured SOMEONE here besides Calvin was in the "bizness"

</STRONG>
wish i could help - but my hookup in the ISP business is about to go bust as well, so... i'm in the same boat with my sites
Old 08-08-2001, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

bump ^__^
Old 08-08-2001, 09:37 PM
Pro

Hmm, unfortunatly I dont know anyone in the biz anymore. Two of them went bust too. they are falling like flies all over .
I will check with one more person . there has to be something out there.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Bump..

So what information do we have so far?? It's hard to find someplace that will just give you bandwidth I'll check with a friend to see what type of operation we can get going, but don't hold your breaths
Old 08-09-2001, 12:11 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soopa,
check this out.
http://www.burlee.com/burleemail/burleemail.asp

offer to match lowest price.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:12 AM
Suzuka Master

bump.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:33 AM
Instructor

<STRONG>Well... Calvin's employer (who hosts our server) is going through some financial troubles... like the rest of our world...

So we will be needing to find a new home for our server.

We really have no sort of budget for hosting... so hopefully someone here can hook as up with reliable service like Calvin did. Even so... anything thats dirt cheap will do.

Calvin will reply to this with details on what sort of bandwidth/etc well need.

I know many of you work for ISP's so help us out!

Ideally, we have a few weeks for this. But as with everything in life... the sooner the better.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: soopa ]</STRONG>
I for one do not EVER want to see this site die. I am a huge car fan, and an even bigger fan of my CL-S, and thanks to all of you I have learned a TREMENDOUS amount. The last thing I would want is to see the same opportunity lost for others.

Soopa, I cannot guarantee anything, but believe me when I say that I will be on the horn to everyone I know to see if we can get this thing co-lo'd somewhere fast and cheap.

--Paul
Old 08-14-2001, 05:12 AM
AWD Torque Monster

i dont think most of the ppl in 1st gen have any idea of this news. good thing i post up in all the forums. ill send $$ if ever needed, but thats the only help i can offer, even if u dont need it.
Old 08-14-2001, 07:03 AM
Prostyle Owner

just wondering...how about hooking it up in some office building and someones work that uses a T-1 pipeline or greater and has the hardware to support it????

or....

for temp. if anyone has two computers we could use one as a dedicated server..i do this for counterstrike and not have had any prob with this...i would love to help you guys out and take it here...but i already have a network plus the cs server on there and have no space (nor bandwidth) to run 3 servers on one cpu

later,
dantes
Old 08-14-2001, 07:09 AM
Prostyle Owner

Originally posted by Dantes:
<STRONG>for temp. if anyone has two computers we could use one as a dedicated server..i do this for counterstrike and not have had any prob with this...i would love to help you guys out and take it here...but i already have a network plus the cs server on there and have no space (nor bandwidth) to run 3 servers on one cpu

later,
dantes</STRONG>
scratch the above run-on sentence i just read the first pageand found we have a server..sorry about that
Old 08-14-2001, 08:05 AM
Adult Supervision

Originally posted by autoxCLS:
<STRONG>Well - All the "inexpensive" colocation providers are dying painful deaths - as 'toker knows all to personally.

So IMHO, you have to ask yourself if you HAVE to use your own server, or if you could run it on another server.

If you find co-lo space, then that's fantastic. If I still owned my ISP (www.fcol.com - sold it a few years ago), I'd drop it in in a microsecond.

A lot of other co-hosting facilities offer the type of service you're looking for - but they charge outrageous prices.

So - you have a decision to make. 1) Let the site die 2) hope and pray someone comes forward with rack space or 3) share a server until you DO find the rack space you want.

Option 3 allows you to continue to run in a less than desirable mode until you find just what you want.

IMHO.</STRONG>
He is right. I came out of the core ISP business (Genuity) providing a major part of the core Internet infrastructure network. (If it means anything to you, we were AS-1)

If the plan is to find someone to co-locate the server cheap and just use their bandwidth then be prepared to restart this topic about every 4 months. There is no money in co-location (that's why colocatio only services are expensive - trust me, I know - and huge expense for bandwidth so a server taking 300-400k will not go unnoticed. As information, a business DSL customer with a 768K symmetrical service averages 30-40K bandwith; a web site server with 600k hits and an average 300-400K is big and, again, can't be hidden in the data room for long.

So are we going to be nomads, living where we can with periods of disruption and almost constant change, or should we figure out a way to settle down, get somewhat commericalized and move on to better things? I think you need to come to the realization that the concept of a free Internet or a "really cheap" Internet is a dead one.
Old 08-14-2001, 08:22 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Looks like we're heading to Edmunds.

Better get ready to apologixe to Ms. Kim.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:11 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys.

We just bought a very nice & very capable server. We cannot let it and all of our data go stale simply because we cannot find reasonably priced bandwidth.

There has to be SOME WAY.

A large percentage of us are in the IT industry. Get on the phone... get in your e-mail... and find something.

I'm sure one of the six-figure techie nerds in your MIS department has a T1 running into his house that he uses for nothing but Counter Strike.

We will pay... we just cant pay what the big companys want.

Do not let us pull the plug on this site. Get to work people.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:17 AM
Drifting

I will pay too...we cant let this wonderful sight go down!!!! I wish I was in a position to help more. How much longer do we have???
Old 08-14-2001, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
again im a mod at s dss site ... at ezbaord and we have a back up at delphi...i dont know what to ask and do you have to be near them geographically for this to work???LMK
Old 08-14-2001, 04:25 PM
Prostyle Owner

<STRONG>I'm sure one of the six-figure techie nerds in your MIS department has a T1 running into his house that he uses for nothing but Counter Strike.

</STRONG>
lol, i know a few but the thing is that they are pissed at me...i always beat them hehehehe
Old 08-14-2001, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Soooooopaaaaaa.....
A friend of mine should be e-mailing you shortly. He does webhosting for a bunch of import car show model broads and I think he might be able to start hosting this site.
Just in case you don't see his e-mail, his pager number is:
714-255-3857
e-mail is:
Ken@limelighthosting.com

Hope he can hook us up!
Old 08-14-2001, 09:16 PM
Adult Supervision

Originally posted by crrink:
<STRONG>Soooooopaaaaaa.....
A friend of mine should be e-mailing you shortly. He does webhosting for a bunch of import car show model broads and I think he might be able to start hosting this site.
Just in case you don't see his e-mail, his pager number is:
714-255-3857
e-mail is:
Ken@limelighthosting.com

Hope he can hook us up!</STRONG>
You should have him email Webtoker and Satin01 as well in order to ensure it gets picked up quickly. Sounds like Soopa is up to his eyeballs...
Old 08-14-2001, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Good idea, will do.
Old 08-15-2001, 02:20 AM
Adrienne

I wish I could help. We've got to figure something out, cuz I'll die if I can't come here anymore.

*keeping fingers crossed*

BTW I'm willing to say that if colocation gets expensive, you could make it into a super-cheap pay site pretty easily... let's say everyone pays $5 a month, and there are roughly 5k members, that's $25k a month... and surely you don't need THAT much, do you? I mean, unless the $300 or $400 a month that you were quoting earlier is really low, you could probably get away with charging $5 a YEAR and still afford it... just something to think about. I'm sure most people would be willing to throw down that much to keep the site alive. We were plenty willing to pay for the server.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:31 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

whoa...i haven't checked the site for awhile. THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS. hey toker, shoot me an email if i can do anything for you. you know that all fo us 'locals' are here for ya if you need us.

**c'mon all you IT gurus-work those contacts!!!!!