Heater doesn't work in 2001 CL

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater doesn't work in 2001 CL

Hey, sorry to join up and immediately post up a question, but I've searched all the FAQ's and even looked for a helms to help me resolve this issue, but I've not found anything.

My girlfriend has a 2001 3.2CL Type-S.

The issue I'm having is that there is no heat. The blower motor is fine, the A/C works like a champ, but when I turn the climate control toward the red (heat) side, no heat comes out. It simply blows cold.

The question I have is what sort of electrical circuit controls the opening and closing of the heater valve? I was hoping it might just be the heater valve, because replacing that is a $35 fix. Has anyone had to replace this before, and where exactly is it located? Is it in the cabin, or in the engine bay?

I don't know where else to start other than to simply replace that valve and then test the system to see if it works. Are there any independent circuits(aka. fuses) that may have been damaged and causing this to not work? I was thinking that the heater and A/C would be on the same fuse, so I could rule that out, but you guys would know better than I.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:54 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
do you have an aftermarket head unit? or alarm/remote start system?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
do you have an aftermarket head unit? or alarm/remote start system?
No, it is all OEM, but what I forgot to mention is that this is a flood vehicle, so I would attribute this problem to that. Everything else works, besides the heater.

How would I check for a damaged heater valve without replacing it? Is there a diagnostic mode for the electrical system non-engine related?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its very possible that something is damaged, but unfortunately I don't know what

I am having a similar issue, but fortuanly for me mine is still underwarrenty so im gonna have them look at it next time its in. For me if its like say 50 degrees outside and I turn the knob to 75 or even 80 I still get cold air. I have to crank it to 90 to get hot air, then turn it back down to the desired temp. Its like it just won't switch over when it should.

So my question to the OP is have you tried setting the temp all the way up to 90?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by civicseth
No, it is all OEM, but what I forgot to mention is that this is a flood vehicle, so I would attribute this problem to that. Everything else works, besides the heater.

How would I check for a damaged heater valve without replacing it? Is there a diagnostic mode for the electrical system non-engine related?
Not sure. I was just asking because I had the same symptoms on my car and once we got in there and looked around, it turned out that the people who installed the auto-start ran a wire right through the valve. So the wire was simply blocking it from opening all the way and needed to be moved.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by civicseth
Hey, sorry to join up and immediately post up a question, but I've searched all the FAQ's and even looked for a helms to help me resolve this issue, but I've not found anything.

My girlfriend has a 2001 3.2CL Type-S.

The issue I'm having is that there is no heat. The blower motor is fine, the A/C works like a champ, but when I turn the climate control toward the red (heat) side, no heat comes out. It simply blows cold.

The question I have is what sort of electrical circuit controls the opening and closing of the heater valve? I was hoping it might just be the heater valve, because replacing that is a $35 fix. Has anyone had to replace this before, and where exactly is it located? Is it in the cabin, or in the engine bay?

I don't know where else to start other than to simply replace that valve and then test the system to see if it works. Are there any independent circuits(aka. fuses) that may have been damaged and causing this to not work? I was thinking that the heater and A/C would be on the same fuse, so I could rule that out, but you guys would know better than I.
If you find it's the heater valve, I have a perfectly good used one off a car I stripped down. It's yours for 20.00 shipped to your door. If I remember correctly, it's in the engine compartment between the motor and firewall. You should be able to wiggle your hand down there and see if you can turn the valve(may have to remove the cable that controls it), if you can turn it, it's something else under the dash that controls the cable. I have tons of parts if you need anything.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ThinJim
If you find it's the heater valve, I have a perfectly good used one off a car I stripped down. It's yours for 20.00 shipped to your door. If I remember correctly, it's in the engine compartment between the motor and firewall. You should be able to wiggle your hand down there and see if you can turn the valve(may have to remove the cable that controls it), if you can turn it, it's something else under the dash that controls the cable. I have tons of parts if you need anything.
Great! I'll try to move the valve, but if I can move it by hand, that still doesn't mean that the motor isn't burned up, correct? I'd like to test it out by hooking up outside voltage to it, but I do not know the proper voltage/current, and I don't want to damage it by hooking up the wrong amount.

If it turns out not to be the valve, is there another way to test to see if it is something electrical within the diagnostic system?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by spdy0001
Its very possible that something is damaged, but unfortunately I don't know what

I am having a similar issue, but fortuanly for me mine is still underwarrenty so im gonna have them look at it next time its in. For me if its like say 50 degrees outside and I turn the knob to 75 or even 80 I still get cold air. I have to crank it to 90 to get hot air, then turn it back down to the desired temp. Its like it just won't switch over when it should.

So my question to the OP is have you tried setting the temp all the way up to 90?
Also, yes, I've tried going all the way to 90, and it still doesn't budge as far as temperature output.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 PM
6 Speeder

Originally Posted by spdy0001

I am having the same poblem with my heating system, I have to crank it to 90 then turn it down for the heat to work. I have 70k on the car now so no more warrenty . If I can't figure it out soon I will have to take it to the stealership.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Racer

Our '91 Integra (R.I.P.) suffered a similiar malady and it was attributed to not enough antifreeze, if I recall correctly.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:33 AM
5th Gear

Update:

Last night I turned on the climate control. I put it in "Auto" mode and to 89 degrees. The a/c compressor kicked on and it was blowing cold air. I put it to 90 degrees and the compressor kicked off and it just blew air. At 89 degrees, the a/c should not have kicked on. Why would this happen? It wasn't set to defrost or anything like that, it was simply "Auto" heat minus the heat. This is making me think that it might be more than just that valve not opening.