first stage mod set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM
A-SPECIAL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first stage mod set up

I bought my 01 CL-S a 1.5 months ago. Its time to start modding. I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what intake i should go with as well as headers and exhaust. I dont really want a really loud ricer but i would like an increase in power. any suggestions would be helpful. oh yeah, where to get the parts as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced

DC Sport's CAI, and I like the Comptech Headers and exhaust setup, Deep Sound not to Ricey
Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Daily Driver '01 CLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on how much money you want to spend. If you want good quality parts go with Comptech mods (icebox, exhaust, headers) found in the black market section of the forums,through forum sponsors, ebay, google.

A cost efficient setup: You can get XS headers for a pretty good price. Maybe Magnaflow/Borla muffs and tips (don't expect much gain in power), resonator removal (Search for DIY), K&N drop in filter, etc.

If you got a pretty high mileage CL 100k+, check if you had your trans replaced, you might want to spend your money on your timing belt, spark plugs, accessory belts, etc. before you start modding your car so you can try to get optimal power after you spend additional money modding your car. There's no point in modding your car if your engine is in bad shape. These are just my opinion and experiences, there are alot of different ways to mod your car and everybody has different tastes which are all respected in the forum. Welcome to Acurazine.

Last edited by type_speed; 08-26-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
A-SPECIAL

thanks a bunch. is there a large difference in performance between comptech headers and XS headers? if i replace my pulleys and belts is that the same things as my timing belt? sorry im new to this stuff?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Ha, no changing the belts connected to your crank pulley and the other V-belts is not the same as your timing belt. I wish it were that easy, I would have saved myself $500 if it were.

I will just tell you what many of us will tell you. All these questions you are asking have already been answered atleast 10 times over.

Unfortunately with an 8 year old car, most topics have been beaten to death and you don't get the pleasure of getting answers from people directly instead you need to search for old threads in regards to your question.

Just tell us how much you want to spend and then we can breakout where to start modding first.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
A-SPECIAL

I am not really sure, i am more concerned with quality than price. just to throw a figure out i would say about $1500 or so. i will need to get pulleys, intake, headers, exhaust (maybe) and belts. i ordered eibach springs and i got a set of motegi touge(sp) rims so far.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well if you are getting the eibach springs, you are going to need new shocks. If you are talking quality, changing springs and shocks together is the way to go. Pick up the Tokico illuminas for about $350, they are adjustable and good quality.

Since you are working on suspension the number one next mod is the rear comptech sway bar. You can pick up the rear sway bar for the 04+ TL from excellerate, Im not sure if this is still available but its the only one you need. The front sway bar makes no difference. This cost about $170 I think.

Then I would do the pulley and only the crank pulley from UR. Yes you can get a cheaper one from ebay for like $30 bucks vs the $175 UR pulley, but I don't like tempting fate when doing a mod that can effect the quality of your car. You will also need a smaller belt to fit the smaller pulley and thats another 15 bucks I think.

Next get headers, I spent the money and got Comptechs for $1150 I think but from what I heard the XS are fine, worst case scenario you get a crack and have to replace them, it won't destroy your car like a bad crank pulley would. So try the XS headers but I don't have first hand experience.

Next, I would get a transmission cooler, I put this on my car and I can honestly say it smoothed out everything from shifting to idling. That will be $60.

Now is the intake, you pick the kind you want, all of them are about the same give or take a few ponies.

Doing these things would be a good start for now.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
A-SPECIAL

thanks for all of the information. that was a big help. i should be able to get all of this done in the next two weeks or so. i will be back a put some pics up.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
FAQ..
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/%2A%2A%2A-official-2nd-gen-cl-information-thread-%2A%2A%2A-480087/

Search on the crank pulley. No one who runs the $26 option racing pulley has had a problem. If you actually compared them side to side with the UR one there is no difference in quality or performance.

The Tokico HP shocks are great. They are the non adjustable ones. Really I don't see the need for adjustables since you have to take out the seats to adjust them each time. The HP's are about the midway setting on the adjustables. They are about perfect for the CLS.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't need to change the rears on the illuminas, set them to a 4.

Changing the fronts from a 1 to a 5 makes a huge difference with them and those are as easy to change as lifting up the hood. The front and rears shocks don't have to be set to the same settings for the car to function properly.

And for the Pulley, I can look at a set of cheap ebay slotted rotors and rotoras and visually they look exactly the same, but does that mean the quality is identical just upon visual inspection.

You are probably right that there isn't a difference between the two but like I stated for a mod like this, it was worth it for me to pay for the name and peace of mind.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:20 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good advice from the above posters.

did you decide what to do? post pics if you get a chance.

car insurance quote