Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003 | 03:13 PM
Pro

Driveshaft

Hi:

We have a 2003 Lexus GX470 and today when we took it in for service they told us that there was a minor problem with it and that they would need to replace our driveshaft. Is seems to me that a driveshaft would be a major part, however I do not completely understand what a driveshaft does, is this only a minor repair, or are the downplaying the severity of this problem. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-29-2003 | 03:21 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

I think its pretty major but not as bad as a tranny failure or something like that. As long as they are fixing it under warranty I wouldnt worry too much.
Old 10-29-2003 | 08:08 PM

Probably .5 hours to remove and replace. Major part, minor maintenance wise.
Old 10-29-2003 | 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

wierd

what did they say was wrong with it? Unless you bottomed out on it. Or have some seriously modified engine in the car and it twisted the shaft.

Was there a vibration while you were driving?

Most driveshaft maintenance is replacing the u-joints. Some have to be pressed in... but nothing too $$.

Your driveshaft is a shaft which connects the output of your transmission to the input shaft of the rear axle.

Pretty simple part.
Old 10-29-2003 | 08:40 PM
Pro

Siggy: There was a noticible vibration between 1700-2700RPM's when I talked to the rep, I asked him if it was safe to drive the car in the mean time and he said that the car drove fine without it. I am confused.... did they take out the driveshaft? I would think that this is an important part that would be needed to drive the car. Also, in his diagnosis, he said they took out the drive shaft and that the problem was gone, which is why they are replacing it. I dont know what to believe.
Old 10-30-2003 | 04:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MJMeucci
Siggy: There was a noticible vibration between 1700-2700RPM's when I talked to the rep, I asked him if it was safe to drive the car in the mean time and he said that the car drove fine without it. I am confused.... did they take out the driveshaft? I would think that this is an important part that would be needed to drive the car. Also, in his diagnosis, he said they took out the drive shaft and that the problem was gone, which is why they are replacing it. I dont know what to believe.

Drive shaft vibration should be related to your speed not RPM... Does the vibration exist when you are in neutral and rev the engine?

Wierd.

No way they took out the drive shaft. If they did you wouldn't be going anywhere.

That shaft links your transmission to the rear axle. Without it the power from the engine/transmission never make it to the wheels. Your car would pernmanently be in neutral.

Sounds like someone has their terminology wrong... Or maybe lexus trucks have shaft which runs from the engine to the transmission.... I've never heard of that before (besides on the C5 corvette) I really doubt thats the case.

Might be your harmonic balancer, or a bad fly wheel/torque converter. Could be a lot of things. But if it's not speed related it's not the drive shaft.
Old 10-30-2003 | 07:43 PM
Pro

I called into Lexus today and they said that they could only recreate the vibration between speeds of 60-70 mph, during gradual acceleration. I find this odd because I always feel this vibration, but I duess it is the same way how Acura "cannot recreate the sunroof rattle" in my car They told me that they are replacing the front drive shaft and that they are sure that this would fix the problem. I hope so, unfortunately there is an odd clunk, almost feeling like I am being hit from behind when at a stop that they cannot re-create either. I found this odd because on Clublexus.com this problem is one that is widespread among GX owners, I mean it is almost as talked about as the CL transmission problems. Oh well, I might just have to go in myself and start asking questions to the service manager. I find it odd that after 4500 miles we would have to have the driveshaft replaced
Old 10-30-2003 | 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Isn't this car 4wd? It may be an axle or coupling the drives the front wheels.
Old 10-31-2003 | 03:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MJMeucci
I called into Lexus today and they said that they could only recreate the vibration between speeds of 60-70 mph, during gradual acceleration. I find this odd because I always feel this vibration, but I duess it is the same way how Acura "cannot recreate the sunroof rattle" in my car They told me that they are replacing the front drive shaft and that they are sure that this would fix the problem. I hope so, unfortunately there is an odd clunk, almost feeling like I am being hit from behind when at a stop that they cannot re-create either. I found this odd because on Clublexus.com this problem is one that is widespread among GX owners, I mean it is almost as talked about as the CL transmission problems. Oh well, I might just have to go in myself and start asking questions to the service manager. I find it odd that after 4500 miles we would have to have the driveshaft replaced
Hmm, maybe the shafts pivot point (i.e.v CV or u-joint) went out. That would cause a clunk, and a vibration.

Good luck, my experiences with Lexus and Acura service have always been a A+. I hope yours as similar.
Old 10-31-2003 | 03:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by SpeedyV6
Isn't this car 4wd? It may be an axle or coupling the drives the front wheels.
yes, it would still be a drive shaft.