couple a quick ice box questions 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
couple a quick ice box questions 6MT

does the ice box connect directly to the TB or should there be any factory extension? and i heard the instructions suck...i have installed my aem several times so....i dont think ill have a problem...but any tips will be appreciated...
Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=icebox
That is thoughts from my install

Yes the icebox connects directly to the TB. I beleive on the autos it connects to the VSA.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The main plastic tube connects to the throttle body with a corrugated rubber connector.

The intstructions aren't that bad -- they just show one bracket backwards (it's pretty easy to figure out the right way) and they say to take off the bumper which you don't have to do.

Don't forget to bleed any bubbles out of the coolant system after you install the Ice Box.

Look at the instructions yourself at http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins110.pdf
Old 09-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Slimey
The main plastic tube connects to the throttle body with a corrugated rubber connector.

The intstructions aren't that bad -- they just show one bracket backwards (it's pretty easy to figure out the right way) and they say to take off the bumper which you don't have to do.

Don't forget to bleed any bubbles out of the coolant system after you install the Ice Box.

Look at the instructions yourself at http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins110.pdf
why would bubbles get in the coolant from changing out an intake and how would one do it anyway?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

p.s. i have the ice box in my car and will install it tonight...its the 6mt im eliminating the VSA
Old 09-09-2004, 10:11 PM
///M POWER

arent u gonna get a cel w/o vsa???
Old 09-09-2004, 10:13 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
why would bubbles get in the coolant from changing out an intake and how would one do it anyway?

^^^^^
Old 09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by typeR
When you install the Ice Box you're supposed to re-route one of the coolant lines below the throttle body. Incidentally, this holds true with an AEM CAI install as well.

I've actually written this up before on these boards, so I'll paste:
Yes, you should bleed the air out of your system after you change the tubing. A large air bubble in the system is not going to be effective to cool the cylinder/block.

It's a pretty easy process - at least my poor man's version of it. If you are really anal you may want to do a complete coolant drain/refill procedure, but this'll do.

First off, you will lose some coolant when changing the tubing, so buy some Honda Type II coolant (premixed) before you install the IceBox as you may need to top off the system. It's good to have a jug of this in the garage as it is. Now is the time to buy some.

After the install you'll want to get the air bubbles out of the system. Remove the cap to the radiator. Turn on car and warm it up in idle about 10 minutes (IIRC, I think technically it's warmed after the radiator fan cycles twice). Turn up heater to max (IIRC, set auto to 90ºF) to open the heater core so the coolant circulates freely. During this process tap/jiggle the the coolant hoses (especially the large upper one) to move the larger bubbles to the top. Don't hurt your fingers -- be careful. You should see several large bubbles percolate through the opening that the cap goes too.

After a few minutes of this the bubbles should stop. You have now bled your system of bubbles. Top off any lost fluid in the radiator or reservoir, put on cap, turn off engine.
From what I've read, our radiators are self bleeding. For some radiators, the bleed process is more complex as bleed valves need to be opened.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
just bleed the coolant system afterwards. takes 5-10 minutes. i did it after my install.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Senior Moderator

well just got back from the test drive...it's quieter than i expected...quieter even then the stock air box with lower resonator removed....slightly dissappointed i was hoping for a deeper sound like the afore mentioned stock air box.as far as gains...ill with hold there until i get a better chance to drive...it's late and still damp