Conversion of heated to ventilated seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Conversion of heated to ventilated seats

Going through the process of redoing my seats at dealer, have new pads and leathers, but I would like to convert my heated seats to ventilated. Anyone have any ideas on placing fans inside the stock padding?

Thanks,
Lance10
03 CL-S
Old 08-21-2015, 12:53 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
you can route the rear vent into the seats
The following users liked this post:
Lance10 (10-27-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rush
you can route the rear vent into the seats
Thanks. That was our thought as well.
I was curious if someone had done the logistics or has done it before.

We're totally redoing the car from top to bottom and the seats are some of the last parts. I decided to replace or upgrade every part on the car after looking for a new car. The Tampa dealer sent my deposit back on the NSX and said I was second in line, but I was never happy with service there. I decided to try the dealer in Clearwater, what a difference. I've been so happy with my old car that I told the dealer to replace everything. The car's bed at the dealer for almost two months but we're coming to the end. The list of upgrades and replacement is very long but the car is looking great with all new interior. I paint all my vehicles every year so the car looks and drives new.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:38 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
post some pics
i mostly do engine modifications in away the car should have came from factory and will keep up to today's coupes like Audi RS5 etc.
Lance10 (10-27-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Instructor

Not looking for HP, I own other cars that satisfy that. I am looking to basically revamp the entire car. Reliability is more important than overworking the stock engine. It doesn't appear Comptech makes exhaust or a supercharger so I'm wary about going aftermarket. I like the comfortable quiet ride. I'm looking at cooling now and it's hard to find something better than stock that is reliable.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
sounds difficult but very benificial.
Lance10 (10-27-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Lexus LS has ventilated seats. You could pick up the seats from a junked LS and pipe in the under seat rear ac vent to it. Take pics when you do it. The CL has very nice supportive seats but boy does it get hot here in Texas.
Lance10 (10-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
4th gen TL had ventilated seats too
Lance10 (10-27-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
4th gen TL had ventilated seats too
Those are still fairly new - harder to find in a yard.
4G TL may even share the same wiring harness for the seats?

Last edited by odinisamu; 08-28-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Lance10 (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Is anyone familiar with this? Does both heat and cooling. I'm going to try to make it work with the stock buttons, one of them being red/heat the other blue/cool (which would be high/low heat on OE buttons)

Universal Heating and Cooling System (3 Stage - 2 Seats) | Heaters and Massagers
Old 10-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Lance10
Is anyone familiar with this? Does both heat and cooling. I'm going to try to make it work with the stock buttons, one of them being red/heat the other blue/cool (which would be high/low heat on OE buttons)

Universal Heating and Cooling System (3 Stage - 2 Seats)|Heaters and Massagers
Doesn't look difficult To wire although you won't get all 3 levels of cooling. But the trade off is that you retain the stock look. I wonder if there are any other Acuras with ventilated seats with multiple levels. If so that could be a nice option.
Lance10 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts
The problem with retrofitting other Acura seats is that there's not a newer Acura coupe, so none of the seat options will recline enough to allow access to the rear seats.

I also have my doubts as to how effective that aftermarket system is. Logic would dictate that this method requires much less additional plumbing and parts. If that's the case, why aren't the OEMs using it?

Lance, what window tinting do you have? Solar Gard makes a ceramic window tint that is rated at a 70% that is mostly clear. In addition to using ceramic tint on all windows to the legal limits, you could tint the moonroof and windshield glass with the ceramic 70% and your seats will not need to be ventilated as often as the sun won't heat them up as badly when parked.

Last edited by JarrettLauderdale; 10-28-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Lance10 (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
The problem with retrofitting other Acura seats is that there's not a newer Acura coupe, so none of the seat options will recline enough to allow access to the rear seats.

I also have my doubts as to how effective that aftermarket system is. Logic would dictate that this method requires much less additional plumbing and parts. If that's the case, why aren't the OEMs using it?

Lance, what window tinting do you have? Solar Gard makes a ceramic window tint that is rated at a 70% that is mostly clear. In addition to using ceramic tint on all windows to the legal limits, you could tint the moonroof and windshield glass with the ceramic 70% and your seats will not need to be ventilated as often as the sun won't heat them up as badly when parked.
I have all my cars with the same configuration and love it. Solarguard 70% on the windshield, 30% on the front windows, 20% on the sunroof/back windows. I drove across the state today with A/C off at least 2 of the 4 hours. Great stuff.

I'm a bit worried but I'm going to try it. After all this money and effort in finding all the parts for both seats, I am going to add cooling and thinking about adding a bit more cushion to make it "comfy".
Attached Thumbnails Conversion of heated to ventilated seats-acura-front-seat-cushions.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts
I hate suggesting other options now that you've invested so much time and money into the current plan, but Recaro makes some very attractive aftermarket options for the high-end market. Recaro's Style XL Topline even offers electric adjustability as well as heating and cooling built into the seat. An added bonus is that it's a Recaro-made product. The Sport Topline offers the same features in a slightly more sporty appearance and fitment.

Style XL Topline

RECARO Style XL Topline Redline Speed Worx Authorized Recaro Distributor

Sport Topline

Recaro Sport Topline Seat - Turner Motorsport

I just chose random sites that had these seats based on a Google search. I don't recommend or endorse any of them. And now that I look at the ones with cooling built in, I wonder if Recaro uses a similar technology to the third party elements that you posted before.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:25 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lance10
Going through the process of redoing my seats at dealer, have new pads and leathers, but I would like to convert my heated seats to ventilated. Anyone have any ideas on placing fans inside the stock padding?

Thanks,
Lance10
03 CL-S
What are all you doing to your interior, redoing the entire thing?
Was searching the forums to see if anyone's added cooled or ventilated seats in their second gen TL/CL'S yet. My seat warmer is broke on my driver side so was watching YouTube videos on how to's which gave me the idea of adding cooled seats while I have the seats out. I'm going to take both front seats out and to the passenger side even though it currently works but want to upgrade the copper wire for the future and not have to worry about it again!
In my search I saw a thread someone added heated seats to the rears too and reading it seemed fairly easy. They added the TL seating elements for the bottoms and RL heating elements for the backs. They ran new wiring through the center console and used an empty slot in the fuse box. The only wire they had to tap into was the one that illuminates the inside of the center console and that was so the buttons for the seat heaters would be illuminated while the cars on. They purchased new buttons and mounted them to the rear center console where the fold out ash tray thing is and works perfectly. Parts cost less than $400 I think and took a few hours to do.
After reading that I was thinking of cooled or ventilated seats for the fronts and know the newer TL's have those and was wondering if anyone's been able to fit them in a second gen. The RL seats have the cooling or fans built in that don't cool but suck air out so was thinking even those would be nice to have in my TL.
I've read numerous threads but this one has been about the only positive one I've seen. Most have been fairly negative with their responses asking, why would you want to waste your money, why would you want to do that, and my favorite, why don't you buy a newer car?
For those of us who live in our cars these amenities would make things so much better and more fun to drive! I commute so having cooled or ventilated seats in the summer would be amazing! Fixing my seat and having warmers in the winter would be great! And passengers in the rear would be living life VIP style!
Do TL seats fit in 2nd Gens?
Do RL seats fit in 2nd Gens?

Do you have pics of everything you changed or did you just go with what you had but new?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by NobleTL
What are all you doing to your interior, redoing the entire thing?

Do you have pics of everything you changed or did you just go with what you had but new?
Read post #87; number 8. Air conditioned seats - It's a no go; on the link below:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post15685241