Cold Air Intake on 2003 Acura CL

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake on 2003 Acura CL

I just installed my AEM CAI which I had to remove the VSA(?) in order for the part to fit. I wanted to ask those member who have or had installed a CAI on their CL if they had experienced any problems either with weather or wear & tear. I just want to be caution of what I may experience. All information if much needed.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
You should not have had to remove the VSA. If you did you got the wrong part. There are 2 parts, 1 for a 6MT 1 for the auto.
Only thing I can think of is the little metal tab that bolts the pipe down where the stock airbox was. Sometimes that will break off with age.
You will not have any problems with water unless you drive into a big puddle. Normal driving will be fine.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
You should not have had to remove the VSA. If you did you got the wrong part. There are 2 parts, 1 for a 6MT 1 for the auto.
Only thing I can think of is the little metal tab that bolts the pipe down where the stock airbox was. Sometimes that will break off with age.
You will not have any problems with water unless you drive into a big puddle. Normal driving will be fine.
I didn't know there were a difference. I bought the part from this dude's mother who said her son had a 6SPD CL but got into some trouble with it. With the VSA removed, will that cause any engine damage besides my tires slipping?

Also good looking on the water information. I was worried that if it rained or if I drove through the car wash that I am putting myself at risk of getting water into my engine.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
if you removed the VSA, your dash would be lighting up like crazy
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I Blaze Up In

^^Werd. Just put the VSA back on and cut about 5inches off the intake pipe from the top to make it fit and your all set

-Mark
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Brittonj85
Also good looking on the water information. I was worried that if it rained or if I drove through the car wash that I am putting myself at risk of getting water into my engine.
We just lost a 1st genner due to hydrolocking... So be carefull, really carefull... Might want to invest in a bypass valve if you ever want to drive in the rain again.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
if you removed the VSA, your dash would be lighting up like crazy
Exactly!

Originally Posted by bigmark89
^^Werd. Just put the VSA back on and cut about 5inches off the intake pipe from the top to make it fit and your all set
Very interesting, I never considered doing that. Thanks I will have to give that a try. It would make sense plus I can then get ride of my bright warning lights.

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
We just lost a 1st genner due to hydrolocking... So be carefull, really carefull... Might want to invest in a bypass valve if you ever want to drive in the rain again.
Sorry to hear that. Did you drive throw hug puddle of water? I am using one but still I am afraid that something may happen.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I Blaze Up In

The only time a bypass valve will save you from hydro locking is when the filter in completely sumberged in water which involves driving through water thats reaches to the top of your bumper. And i dont think you should be driving thorugh water that high anyway, bypass valves wont protect you against any amount of water other than being fully submerged. And also, everday rain isnt a problem for an intake, and if you have to drive thorugh a puddle just take your foot off the gas, so your TB closes and your intake doesnt suck up air. IMHO bypass valves were created to scare people into buying them, they're bullshit IMO, but thats just my . Everone has their own opinion on them

-Mark
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Yeah, water won't be a problem if you don't go driving through standing water. Little puddles, rain, snow, etc is not going to do anything but get the filter wet.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

The only time a bypass valve will save you from hydro locking is when the filter in completely sumberged in water which involves driving through water thats reaches to the top of your bumper. And i dont think you should be driving thorugh water that high anyway, bypass valves wont protect you against any amount of water other than being fully submerged. And also, everday rain isnt a problem for an intake, and if you have to drive thorugh a puddle just take your foot off the gas, so your TB closes and your intake doesnt suck up air. IMHO bypass valves were created to scare people into buying them, they're bullshit IMO, but thats just my . Everone has their own opinion on them

-Mark
Interesting. All this time I thought the intake stays open when the car is on.

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Yeah, water won't be a problem if you don't go driving through standing water. Little puddles, rain, snow, etc is not going to do anything but get the filter wet.
Cool.... I was thinking about getting my car lowered about 1 inch or 2 but was afraid that I would put myself at risk but thanks to you all for clarifying things. Now I am trying to figure out if I should upgrade my bulbs. I want them to be crystal blue. I know when I had my 1991 Acura Legend I replace my stock with 8k HID kit but with the CL from what I understand is that all I need is to replace the HID bulbs not the ballast.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I Blaze Up In

^^ The intake always stays open, but it wont pull any air in unless you step on the gas, which opens up the throttle body thus pulling air through the intake.

As far as HID's go, I did a little searching around and the nicest color comes from KAIXEN 6000K bulbs. Once they warm up they arent too blue, just a nice light crystal blue so you sont gotta worry about them looking .

Excelerate sells KAIXEN bulbs for I think $100/pair

-Mark
Old 04-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

^^ The intake always stays open, but it wont pull any air in unless you step on the gas, which opens up the throttle body thus pulling air through the intake.

As far as HID's go, I did a little searching around and the nicest color comes from KAIXEN 6000K bulbs. Once they warm up they arent too blue, just a nice light crystal blue so you sont gotta worry about them looking .

Excelerate sells KAIXEN bulbs for I think $100/pair

-Mark
That's exactly the color I am aiming for. The police never bother me plus they look good reflecting off the payment and cars. I am going to check them out.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
A lot of people have had their AEM intakes crack right at the mounting bracket on the intake tube...

I also heard that if you have a CAI and you do drive through a big puddle, you just need to keep your foot off the throttle so it doesn't suck in the water splashing up.