Clutch Broken.... 4th and final time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: broken clutch

Originally posted by drrfs
Allmotor_2000

Do you have a postable picture of one of your broken clutch pressure plates? It sounds like the problem we used to have with an old English road race car until we installed a better pressure plate. And we tried putting on double metal clips and still broke them. I think that the guys who are talking about lack of dampening in the pressure plate are on the right track. But increasing the dampening would seem to defeat at least some of the purpose of the Comptech flywheel, which eliminates the dampening of the stock flywheel. So the better way might be to find a better upgraded pressure plate -- which is what I'm going to do before I consider ordering my Comptech flywheel.

03 CLS 6sp
OZ Leggera's
Sway bars, ground control, adjustable camber, upgraded pads, lines

Yes the pressure plate seems to be the weak link here. I wonder if there is another flywheel and/or ressure plate that will work. acuraautomotiveparts.org lists the same 6-speed for the TSX but it has a solid flywheel. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to adapt another pressure plate to work with the aluminum flywheel. From what I remember of the pics allmotor had up at one time it did kind of look like the whole pressure plate was twisted. Drrfs, what part of Ohio are you in?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: broken clutch

Originally posted by drrfs
Allmotor_2000

Do you have a postable picture of one of your broken clutch pressure plates? It sounds like the problem we used to have with an old English road race car until we installed a better pressure plate. And we tried putting on double metal clips and still broke them. I think that the guys who are talking about lack of dampening in the pressure plate are on the right track. But increasing the dampening would seem to defeat at least some of the purpose of the Comptech flywheel, which eliminates the dampening of the stock flywheel. So the better way might be to find a better upgraded pressure plate -- which is what I'm going to do before I consider ordering my Comptech flywheel.

03 CLS 6sp
OZ Leggera's
Sway bars, ground control, adjustable camber, upgraded pads, lines
If you cut that damn ring off... the pressure-plate will work fine with the aluminum flywheel - whether you use the pulley or not is a different issue. I never did it because I kept thinking its install-related and that stupid ring is required - I haven't seen another pressure-plate with it!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Slimey
Just out of curiosity - I know you've posted before of taking the engine to 7400 too - how do you rev so high? I thought the fuel cut-off does its job at 7100 as programmed by the ECU.

Also, doesn't the HP curve go downhill beyond the 6900 redline?

I know -- a total aside...
It just keeps making power... most of the power on this car is > 6K RPM.... it just keeps pulling to about 7.2K. Fuel cuts off at 7.4K on my car
Old 03-25-2007, 05:03 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
If you cut that damn ring off... the pressure-plate will work fine with the aluminum flywheel - whether you use the pulley or not is a different issue. I never did it because I kept thinking its install-related and that stupid ring is required - I haven't seen another pressure-plate with it!
What ring are you talking about? I kow he rarely comes on the boards now, but does anyone know what he was referring to?

I will be the next guinea pig by the way. I too have a UR pulley, and having the UR flywheel made and on it's way. And it's a 3.5L. So after reading this whole thread, I would like to know if the UR pulley is a factor for the PP to go out like his did.

Also, I remember before buying my UR pulley 4-5 years ago, I did my homework to see if our 3.0's were harmonically balanced internally or on the pulley. When I found out our pulleys werent a harmonic balancer for the crank shaft, I decided to buy it. I have never had a problem with the car. Plus, when pulleys have a harmonic balancer on them, they usually weigh in at or over 20lbs. My stock pulley I think weighed only 5 lbs if I remember correctly. So I would like to think that allmotors UR pulley wasnt the cause, but I dont know that for sure. I would just like to test this theory we all have and would like to give you guys some more input on this setup. Maybe we can get more answers with another guinea pig.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
2600lb CL

Just read in the Tl forums of an 05' TL six speed with a UR pulley and the comptech flywheel and not having any problems with it. Are the TL's and CLS's pp/clutch/and flywheel the same part numbers?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocoa
Just read in the Tl forums of an 05' TL six speed with a UR pulley and the comptech flywheel and not having any problems with it. Are the TL's and CLS's pp/clutch/and flywheel the same part numbers?
I'm pretty sure that it's the same pressure plate for both.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by Allout
I'm pretty sure that it's the same pressure plate for both.
That's exactly what I thought. So I wonder what other factors played a role in allmotor having issues with his car. Maybe it was the power? Maybe he was breaking the pp with slicks on? (the more traction you have, the more stress on your drivetrain) I'm kind of stumped, but still willing to give the setup a try for myself. And I still havent received the flywheel from UR yet.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
If you switch to a UR pulley and a lightweight flywheel you lose all engine dampening on the drivetrain.

I would go with the lightweight flywheel and put the stock crank pulley back on.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Safety Car

With 4 clutches, it was certainly the UR pulley. The car was only making 270whp at that time (NA), so its not that much power. 3/4 times the clutch PP broke with normal tires... just once with slicks, so can't attribute the cause to that. It even broke when not driving hard. There was some resonance at 6.5K RPM or something that causes this.

Too bad I never tried it with the stock pulley, but hey... had fun with it!
The following users liked this post:
Socalgrip (01-14-2012)