Old 12-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by allmotor_2000
She's been lecturing since it broke the first time!!!!
Do what I do in this type of a situation...

Old 12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Scrib

Seems like that just makes them angrier and louder though...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey
Uh Oh! I'm surprised it didn't come sooner.

I have a wife too so I can relate...

I have been there and dont that!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

i would be fucking SUING comptech for the cost of EVERYTHING related to this fiasco!!!

how on earth can you say you WONT ask for money back?? this is insane. no need to suck comptechs cocks anymore, youve been OWNED. youve been used and abused and theyve been using you as nothing more than R&D fodder at YOUR expence. dont be foolish...DEMAND a refund for every part youve bought and all the labor associated with this horrible debacle!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Seems like that just makes them angrier and louder though...
What you need is the earplugs and these

That way they are distracted and no longer care what you do to your car
Old 12-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by jimcol711
i would be fucking SUING comptech for the cost of EVERYTHING related to this fiasco!!!

how on earth can you say you WONT ask for money back?? this is insane. no need to suck comptechs cocks anymore, youve been OWNED. youve been used and abused and theyve been using you as nothing more than R&D fodder at YOUR expence. dont be foolish...DEMAND a refund for every part youve bought and all the labor associated with this horrible debacle!!!
Yeah they should have resolved these problems Allmotor is figuring out by trial and error. I wonder how many have the pulley on a 6 speed without this happening? If Comptech is certain this is caused by the pulley then why didn't they say something when it failed the last time. Seems like they are doing a bit of monday morning quarterbacking here.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

Well, I am not going to sue them... but it is pretty depressing. I will probably send the flywheel back to them with a nice letter outlying all the facts properly.

I did EVERYTHING they have asked me to do... each time. They kept saying its install and like a dumbass I believed them. Then Shad told me that they NEVER used the tool on BOTH their cars... and it hasn't broken. Being a dumbass again and not thinking about it... I re-installed the clutch. It probably IS the pulley... but could be something else as well. I take my car to 7400 RPM... I doubt anybody else does. Most of the time it has broken... it has been after taking it that high.

I don't think I'll put another flywheel... even if its for free.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Do you really expect Comptech to take into account another company's mod while designing theres? Their in this to make money. There's still no proof it's the UR pully anyway. Also when you supercharge the car your need the stock pully. I'm not a fan of Comptech or UR btw.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Drifting

YOu know as long as I have had honda/acura cars and modded them...I was always told...never fool with the crank pully because of harmonics...I never really knew why...but this is kinda proving it to me all over again.

Its sucks that you had to go through all this man...I just hope CT maks good on at least some of the cost.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
...I'm not a fan of Comptech or UR btw...
Your signature:
Silver 2003 CLS 6 speed. Yes I know the name says an 02
15% tint all around, Comptech sways, Comptech IceBox, Comptech Springs, Comptech Headers, Comptech SS Brake Lines, Comtech[sic] Exhaust, AEM Silver Power Pullies, Tokico HP Shocks, 17" SSR Comp rims w/Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 235-45-17 tires(38lbs each), Nuespeed strut bar, Clear Spolier LED, Momo F16 Shift Knob, Aluminum Typs S Door Sills, Aluminum top Grill, Aluminum Radio, & AC knobs. Hardwired V1, Infinity BassLink W/Remote, Spolier, Painted mud flaps, PIAA 001 Fogs Custom Mounted With TL Fog Light Switch, Zaino Shine,
Dyno:
236HP/195 ft-lbs torque
By my count you have six Comptech products on your car. Of them, only the headers are limited to Comptech. The other items (intake, exhaust, brake lines[just vendored by Comptech anyway], spring, sways) are also made by other companies. Not a fan, but still do business with them. :P

I still like Comptech, but am disappointed by the issue allmotor's facing and the doubt left about Comptech's clutch/flywheel product.

Just messing with you -- now back to the orginal thread...
Old 12-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jimcol711

If it is the UR pulley why would Comptech be responsible?? Do you ever think before typing?? :P
Old 12-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib

That would get me knocked up the side of the head...
Old 12-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Suzuka Master

She's been lecturing since it broke the first time!!!!
I assume "lecturing" is the nice way of saying what's actually occured.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Drifting

Hahaha scalbert...so true sooo true!!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

In terms of liability... I don't see how Comptech is liable.. except that they never mentioned "don't use it without the stock crank pulley". Now... considering I have done a lot of R&D for them... maybe they should consider refunding me some money. Shad hasn't called me today... and he probably won't... so my plan is to send the flywheel/clutch back to Comptech and ask for a refund. It's not proven the UR pulley causes the damage...
Old 12-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

In terms of liability... I don't see how Comptech is liable.. except that they never mentioned "don't use it without the stock crank pulley". It's not proven the UR pulley causes the damage...
That's true. They haven't proven it's the pulley and you HAVE proven it's not the installation. This would be a good opportunity for them to prove if it was the pulley or not.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Where is my super sauce?

But...did they have a disclaimer listed with the part that states something like, 'should not be installed on a drivetrain with an aftermarket underdrive pulley'? Somehow, I doubt it.

I'm not one for willy-nilly lawsuits either, but if this was due to the UR pulley, then you indeed did some important R&D on their behalf, especially if they include such a disclaimer in the future.

Food for though, I guess. I'm hoping that Shad and Comptech will do something honorable for you. Future sales of this product are riding on the outcome here.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by scalbert

If it is the UR pulley why would Comptech be responsible?? Do you ever think before typing?? :P

Old 12-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

But...did they have a disclaimer listed with the part that states something like, 'should not be installed on a drivetrain with an aftermarket underdrive pulley'? Somehow, I doubt it.

I'm not one for willy-nilly lawsuits either, but if this was due to the UR pulley, then you indeed did some important R&D on their behalf, especially if they include such a disclaimer in the future.

Food for though, I guess. I'm hoping that Shad and Comptech will do something honorable for you. Future sales of this product are riding on the outcome here.

NOt included but i think that it's well understood putting aftermarket pullies will put you at risk, especially when you start to lighten spinning parts......
Old 12-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Agreed.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Well... all my parts came in:

New Pressure-Plate
New Clutch Disk
New CrankShaft Position Sensor
New Flywheel Bolts
Old Flywheel (its in perfect shape)
Old Crank Pulley
Old Belts
Old 12-04-2003, 01:50 PM
///M POWER

i actually agree w/ jim
Old 12-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by darrinb
i actually agree w/ jim

:sqnteek:

how is it in anyway comptechs fault?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata

It's not proven that the pulley caused the damage. The only thing proven is that the Comptech clutch broke 4 times, so I'd say it's Comptech's fault. They should have informed him the first time if they really thought it was the pulley. I just think they are doing what most R&D shops do - Trial and error

It may very well be the pulley, but Allmotor should be compensated in some way for basically doing a ton of R&D for Comptech
Old 12-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

Well, Shad didn't call me today as he promised... so I figure they don't really care. So... I will take the flywheel off and send it back to them and ask for a 100% refund as the product did not work for my application. They didn't specify what I COULD or COULD NOT have on my car... AND I have done EVERYTHING they have asked me to do to determine the probable cause - its the least they should give me! Shad did mention during our last conversation that he is going to put a "don't use with lightened crank pulley" on further clutch shipments.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Send them a bill for your consulting and real-world R&D expertise since they are going to use it to improve their product, or at least modify its application.

I'm joking but not really -- your wife may agree!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
Also when you supercharge the car your need the stock pully.
Nope. You could actualy go larger for more boost, but here is a lightened UR for S/C aplications,... stock size.

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/newpulleys.html
Old 12-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Allmotor, I would expect a full refund for all of your parts, or a complete set of new parts at N/C if you want to try again. If you do try again you may want to have a lawer standing by if it doesn't work,.....

not for Compteh,....

for your wife! She's going to try to kill you!
Old 12-04-2003, 08:04 PM
TRELOS

I won't ask nor will expect any refund or anything like that.

WHOLLY $HIT MAN U ARE PISSED.

just relax, smoek a bole, and pound one back, then smoek another. By order of Dr. Greenthumb. Repeat if simptoms continue.

Juker008
Old 12-04-2003, 08:07 PM
TRELOS

If someone made a pressure-plate without the self-adjust... there won't be anything to break... this damn pressure-plate is just a tad too complicated. However... Comptech must realize that they probably should include a different pressure-plate with their clutch package.

Do u mean that CT makes a sprung hub?

Juker008
Old 12-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by ModAddict
Allmotor, I would expect a full refund for all of your parts, or a complete set of new parts at N/C if you want to try again. If you do try again you may want to have a lawer standing by if it doesn't work,.....

not for Compteh,....

for your wife! She's going to try to kill you!
I agree..they should at least give you your $$$ back for the CT products...but I would also think they would want to know if it is the pully or not and would want to work with you to get to the bottom of this.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by Zapata

They told him it failed because of the installation. He had it re-installed at his expense. Now they're saying. "well it really wasn't the installation it was the UD pulley." They had the opportunity to tell him it could be the pulley the last time and the time before that but didn't. Now they're saying it's the pulley. Allmotor shouldn't be the one who has to figure out this failure mode for them. It's reasonable to assume someone going to the trouble of installing an entire new flywheel and clutch on a fairly new car will have some other mods. If the flywheel is totally incompatible with the UD pulley comptech should have discovered this and made it known before selling these. They may not be legally bound to do anything but they need to live up to their reputation or they won't have it for long.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ChadT
They told him it failed because of the installation. He had it re-installed at his expense. Now they're saying. "well it really wasn't the installation it was the UD pulley." They had the opportunity to tell him it could be the pulley the last time and the time before that but didn't.

If the flywheel is totally incompatible with the UD pulley comptech should have discovered this and made it known before selling these.
I agree that Comptech should provide some assistance and possibly a full refund but you are making some assumptions. Did Comptech know that he had the pulley to begin with or was it not until later that this was disclosed?? Based on what was presented, I agree with their initial assumptions, it was installation error. But as with anything, a process of elimination was needed as unfortunate as it is.

So based on what you stated Comptech should be require to test their products with every combination of other products out there to learn of compatibility issues?? If so, shouldn't UR also be held responsible for testing their products to be sure they do not impact others?? If this were the case all of our products would cost 10x what they currently do.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Drifting

Absolutly Scalbert...CT should only need to know if it is compatible with there own products and not others...but they should jump on this opertunity to see if it will work with the UR pully because if it doesnt they will have this come back on them over and over again.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

I agree that Comptech should provide some assistance and possibly a full refund but you are making some assumptions. Did Comptech know that he had the pulley to begin with or was it not until later that this was disclosed?? Based on what was presented, I agree with their initial assumptions, it was installation error. But as with anything, a process of elimination was needed as unfortunate as it is.

So based on what you stated Comptech should be require to test their products with every combination of other products out there to learn of compatibility issues?? If so, shouldn't UR also be held responsible for testing their products to be sure they do not impact others?? If this were the case all of our products would cost 10x what they currently do.
No I'm not saying Comptech should try every combination of parts of course that would be ridiculous. I'm saying now that this incompatibility issue has been brought up (but not proven yet) they would have an interest in getting another flywheel on this car to prove it was in fact the pulley causing the failure.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 AM
Team Owner

If Comptech’s conclusion is correct, wouldn’t this be a secondary warning to people using the pulleys with the STOCK clutch.
If harmonics can do this damage on the aftermarket components isn’t it subjecting the OEM parts to the same abuse?
Sure, the stock equipment is heavier and stronger, but isn’t this cause for concern?

Shawn S

PS…. After following this “saga” for the last few days, my opinion is that Comptech should pay for at least SOME of the costs here.
At LEAST the parts and labor on the last two mishaps.

Then again they ARE paying for it by reduced sales of everyone reading this.
But that’s not helping allmotor any.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ChadT
I'm saying now that this incompatibility issue has been brought up (but not proven yet) they would have an interest in getting another flywheel on this car to prove it was in fact the pulley causing the failure.
True, and we don't know what is going on there. They may have ordered a UR pulley to be put on their test mule, just speculation. In the mean time they are putting in a disclosure about the use of the two products.

This is an unfortunate situation nonetheless. It seems though that the only unscathed party is UR who may be the root of the problem.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

This is an unfortunate situation nonetheless. It seems though that the only unscathed party is UR who may be the root of the problem.
Yes that's a fact and I'm sure that is Comptechs veiw of the issue as well. I just really hate to see someone like Allmotor who has done a lot to discover how to make a quick CL move on to some other car because of this string of troubles with the clutch.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Where is my super sauce?

...It seems though that the only unscathed party is UR who may be the root of the problem.
Yes. What disclaimers does UR put on their pullies? Hopefully Comptech is taking to the R&D folks at UR so that some conclusion can be made about product compatibility. AFAIK, UR is the only manufacturer of the underdrive pulley for the CL.

I remember the serious debates about risks and benefits of the underdrive pulley posted in these forums. I would agree with others here and assume there is some drivetrain risk with this part.

But I would say that Comptech has more of a reputation to uphold then UR does.

Most of us know Comptech as being a 'Honda/Acura Authorized' performance manufacturer, even though that branding is not official. UR is not thought of in the same light as Comptech. I've seen dealers sell Comptech'ed cars off their lots and tout them as something special, but the same is not true with other companies like UR, AEM, etc.

Quick Reply: Clutch Broken.... 4th and final time!