Clarification on loaner car criteria

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 10:24 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarification on loaner car criteria

i called Rallye Acura this morning and asked them about loaner car criteria (when u can get one/when u can't)...according to the "rules," every 7,500 mile service gets u a loaner...all services inbetween do not, so it's like every other time u bring in the car for service...they feel that any service over 3 hours is considered a major service and constitutes a loaner...there are special exceptions, such as getting brakes replaced, where u can get a loaner also, but it's at the discretion of each dealorship to decide if u get one.

now, if u asked me if this is acceptable, i'd say no every day of the week and twice on Sunday...being in the near luxury/luxury car/truck market means u cater to policies that other car companies do, and that means loaner cars for EVERY service...simply saying an oil change and inspection doesn't constitute a loaner b/c it doesn't take at least 3 hours is unacceptable to me...i mean hey, i can just argue that when i take my '93 Infiniti G20 in for service, i ALWAYS get a loaner, no matter what service it is, and 9 times out of 10, the loaner is a better car than my tiny G20 by a factor of 10 ...my feeling is if it's according to the service schedule, u get a loaner...and if it's a special service, u get a loaner.

u think we're pissed, how do u think RL owners feel?? they've gotta b spending at least 20K more than we are...this is a serious drawback for Acura, and until they hear enough complaints, nothing's gonna change.

Chris
Old 07-03-2001, 10:44 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

To clarify. That's 3 "chargeable" hours of service. If the car sits there for 4 hours before they pull it into a bay. It's zero.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Rock Dog ]
Old 07-03-2001, 10:55 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I think it's strictly a dealer option. Some do, some don't. It's an operating expense that they have to cover somehow. As the say...."There is no free lunch."
Old 07-03-2001, 11:24 AM
What, me worry?

Location: Carrollton, tx. land of heaving pavement & revenue generating pigs.
That was one of the reasons I went with Acura. Mcdavid Acura in Plano said any service over 2 hours would get a loaner. To me this was great because the final straw with BMW was when I brought it in to John Roberts and they said they couldn't give me a loaner unless it was 8hrs of work. First this pissed me off because here is BMW supposed to be a luxury brand treating me like a Ford dealer, plus how do I know how long it's going to take them to find and fix a problem. So when BMW put me in a Cavalier with a shot transmission (shifted no higher than second gear, was redlining at 60mph)( And which I had to put on my credit card until we hit the magic 8 hrs of service) that was it.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:27 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Sounds like my experience with a Lexus dealer here in NJ. I took my GS300 in for service and received a loaner from Enterprise Rent a Car. It was a Ford Aspire. I don't know what it aspired to but it wasn't a car!
Old 07-03-2001, 11:34 AM
'Cooter

8 hours of work??? get the f outta here...how stupid can u get?? that's like all day on one friggin car!!! Infiniti gave me a loaner no matter what...didn't matter if i was back there in an hour, they were always good with that...there's one catch, tho...i had to book my appointment at least a week in advance, otherwise no guarantee of a loaner...but that's small potatoes

Acura should think of turning some of the older TL's that are still on the lots into loaners and after a couple years, selling them like they do certified pre-owned...they'll get more turnover ratio on the books which translates into better potential to sell newer cars instead of desperately trying to get the old ones off the lots.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

valley stream acura has been giving me a loaner each time i have any service. they have been great about it.
i also was thrilled with massapequa infiniti, they also gave me a loaner for a $30 oil change.if infiniti had a comparable car, i would have bought it, that's how much i loved their service.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2001, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loaner car policy is set strictly by each dealer individually. If you are coming in for just an oil change, that only takes 30 min. Why take 15min to do loaner paperwork and get going. We give loaners when a customer needs one regardless of what you are having done, but try to take care of oil changes on a wait basis to avoid having you make a second trip back just to pick up your car.
Old 07-03-2001, 12:11 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usualy, Sunnyside Acura provides a loaner for any service (warrantee or scheduled) the excption, I have heard, is regualer quick oil change. This I can live with. I have to schedule the service AND book a loner in advance. In case that non of their nice loaner (brand new 2000-TL!) is available, they will go rent for you shitty Chevy from Entrprise whose guy would be waiting for you to do the paper work.

Herb Conolly Acura, would do the same I guess.

If an Acura dealer refuses to treat you nicely, just spend your hard earned dollars somewhere else. And, remeber to screw them in Acura's customer service questionaires.
Old 07-03-2001, 12:46 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by wayneg:
<STRONG>Loaner car policy is set strictly by each dealer individually. If you are coming in for just an oil change, that only takes 30 min. Why take 15min to do loaner paperwork and get going. We give loaners when a customer needs one regardless of what you are having done, but try to take care of oil changes on a wait basis to avoid having you make a second trip back just to pick up your car.</STRONG>

Wayne,

i cannot tell u how many times my car has been sitting on the back lot doing nothing for hours when all i need is an oil change and some stuff inspected...and i get the FIRST appointment, at between 7 and 7:30AM...the first service i had done on my CL at 3500 miles i waited 2 hours for the car b/c of course oil changes don't constitute a loaner, and i brought it in at 7:30...my Infiniti sat in the lot long enough for someone to dent my front fender, and they held me responsible for it...i've caught mechanics just lounging around, eating donuts and drinking coffee, while im paying for that time...one time i called the service manager over to watch with me, and he told me i wouldn't pay for the time.

i have absolutely no problem with coming back to pick up the car later on, and besides, if i can't pick it up right away, the car will just sit on the back lot...it's not like it's a burden to anyone...considering that all of the Long Island service places i've taken the cars to take forever just to do routine maintenance, i'd rather take the loaner out for a few hours (kinda funny also how they win all of these awards like best service department, #1 rated service team, etc.)
Old 07-03-2001, 01:25 PM
Instructor

I just took my car in yesterday for some warranty work. The rubber around the windshield needs to be replaced, the sunroof squeak needs fixed and there is a rattle somewhere on the passenger side. I made my appointment last week and Rosenthal Acura asked me if I would need a loaner, since my preference was to drop it off after work and pick it up the next day.

My appointment was for 5:30 yesterday evening. I walked in, dropped off my keys, confirmed the things that needed to be checked out, signed the loan agreement and drove off in a 2001 Integra. (On a side note, God am I glad I bought a CL. The base model Integras are not in keeping with Acura's desire to be a luxury brand.) I have yet to get my first oil change, so we'll see if I am offered a loaner for that. It won't kill me if I'm not.

-M
Old 07-03-2001, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Sounds like some of the dealerships are real hard asses about pleasing a customer.
I just brought my car into my dealer (unscheduled) to check out my VSA.
I waited around four 45 minutes because I had the time. I was told they wanted to replace the vsa controller "just incase it was bad".
They put me in an Integra and said my car would be fixed the following day. I get a call the following day to let me know that the new VSA Controller was not in. I let the Service manager know that I was needing to go to a wedding in Vail that same day, and I would like something better than an integra to drive up there. He said "come on in I'll geve you a TL to drive up there".
Kick ass service.
It's always so noce to get back into your own car specially when its a Type S.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

As stated above, it’s all up to the dealer.

I get a loaner for EVERY service at Lehigh Valley Acura in Whitehall, Pa.
I can pickup/drop-off anytime the Sales Showroom is open even if Service is closed for the night.

I do need to call ahead about a week to be sure they schedule it.
They used to use Integra’s, but now they use Ford Taurus’s.

Shawn S
Old 07-03-2001, 07:17 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
"Most" BMW customers are stupid ! They will wait weeks to get an appointment "STUPID", THEY WILL PAY THEM FOR "8" HOURS OF "LABOR" "STUPID", Why own a car that requires "8" hours of labor, who BMW owners ......Stupid.........
Old 07-03-2001, 09:08 PM
Race Director

No entitlements. That's what America is all about, the differences. That way we can tell the difference between the good and the bad. That's the only way it can be [fair].

Of course, there are a few rules that are enforced by the Law and by interested parties such as the insurance company.

You hear the same complains from people saying I'm 18 and I paid $35k for a car, I s/b entitled to a loaner.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:26 PM
on bin laden

I can get a loaner for any type of service (I change my own oil so I dont know about that) at Bloomington Acura. The only thing is, you have to schedule it about a week in advance. I've ended up with a new TL each time.