Car Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car Battery Question

How Do U Kno If The Battery Is No Good Anymore, Coz Few Wks Ago My Gf Was In My Car And Had The Headlight On, All The Interior Light On, The Radio On And Was Charging Her Cell. She Didnt Turn On The Car All The Way Only On Aux. Then When I Started The Car It Wouldnt Turn Over, So I Got It Jumped And Started Right Up,

Few Days Later It Died Again, I Jumpedit Again & Started Right Up, So I Again Today I Had To Jump It Again. But I Realize That When I Go To My Car My Lights R Ok, Thier Not Dim.
How Do I Kno If It Is The Alternator Or The Battery? The Car Has 85k Im The 2nd Owner, Dont Kno If The First One Bought New Battery.
Thanks,
Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like the battery. Most auto parts stores will test it for you.

One way to tell is by taking a look at your lights. If the interior lights dim when you crank it over but are bright after you start it, your alternator is putting out voltage and it's your battery.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Originally Posted by Allout
Sounds like the battery. Most auto parts stores will test it for you.

One way to tell is by taking a look at your lights. If the interior lights dim when you crank it over but are bright after you start it, your alternator is putting out voltage and it's your battery.

OH OK THANKS, WELL IT IS DIM AND WHEN I DO CRANK IT DOES SEEM LIKE EVERYHTHING DIES OUT THEN SOON AS I JUMPT I, LIKE NOT EVEN 20 SEC, THE CAR STARTS RIGHT UP W/ NO PROBLEM. SO IT MUST BE THE BATTERY THEN.

HOW MUCH ARE CAR BATTERIES AND WHAT KIND SHOULD I BUY ITS A TYPE S AND NO MODS EXECPT SHORT RAM INTAKE AND NO OTHER AUDIO EXEPCT STOCK. THANK YOU.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If you have to keep jumping it. then yeah your battery is toast.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
If you have to keep jumping it. then yeah your battery is toast.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
After you jump the battery, do you take the car on short trips? The battery may just need to be charged, and taking it on short trips won't allow the alternator to give it enough juice to start the car multiple times. Take it to Autozone or somewhere and have them test it. If the test turns out good, ask them if they can charge it for you.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
After you jump the battery, do you take the car on short trips? The battery may just need to be charged, and taking it on short trips won't allow the alternator to give it enough juice to start the car multiple times. Take it to Autozone or somewhere and have them test it. If the test turns out good, ask them if they can charge it for you.

I TAKE IT ON SHORT TRIPS I GUESS LIKE 7 MILES OR LESS. AND THE OTHER DAY WHEN I HAD TO JUMP IT I DIDNT USE THE CAR, I HAD IT PARKED, FOR AT LEAST 24 HRS. AND IT WAS COLD OUT.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do end up replacing the battery remember that the ECM/PCM and idle memory must be reset.

it's a simple process:

Reset the ECM/PCM (engine control module/power control module) as indicated below.

With all electrical accessories turned off (lights, radio, heater, etc.), vehicle ignition off, remove the passenger side fuse cover that located on the end of the dash. Remove the #13, radio back-up fuse for 10 seconds then install it. It will require a flashlight to see and the fuse numbers and this one is a blue 15 amp fuse. This will reset the ECM/PCM.

Reset the engine idle memory as indicated below.

With all electrical accessories turned off. Start the engine and run at 3,000 rpm’s until the engine reaches operating temperature (194º) or until the electric cooling fan at the radiator come on. You can have someone watch the fan or you will notice a sudden drop in the temperature indicated on the gauge. This will take about 4-6 minutes if the engine is cold

Once it reaches this point take you foot off the accelerator and let the engine idle on it’s own for 5 minutes. If the cooling fans come on during this process, deduct that amount of time from the 5 minutes. This will set the idle memory.

These directions are directly from the Acura Factory Manual.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

radio code?

how come every time i jump my car my radio still works without putting the code.
does my car need a radio code when i exchange my battery? i spoke to an acura rep they said in some cars u dont need the code. and does anyone kno how to get the serial # of the radio w/out taking the radio out?

what should i do? to get radio serial #, get hte code coz the acura the dealership by me is charging me like $60 for it. thanks alot.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Every CL needs a code. Your not taking the electric load off the car. The dead battery still has power in it , just not enough to start the car.
Yeah do the procedure to get the serial # posted in the FAQ
Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Every CL needs a code. Your not taking the electric load off the car. The dead battery still has power in it , just not enough to start the car.
Yeah do the procedure to get the serial # posted in the FAQ

OH OK THANKS, WILL DO IT. IT SUCKS HAVING TO GO THROUGH THIS THOUGH.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Originally Posted by Davidstingray
If you do end up replacing the battery remember that the ECM/PCM and idle memory must be reset.

it's a simple process:

Reset the ECM/PCM (engine control module/power control module) as indicated below.

With all electrical accessories turned off (lights, radio, heater, etc.), vehicle ignition off, remove the passenger side fuse cover that located on the end of the dash. Remove the #13, radio back-up fuse for 10 seconds then install it. It will require a flashlight to see and the fuse numbers and this one is a blue 15 amp fuse. This will reset the ECM/PCM.

Reset the engine idle memory as indicated below.

With all electrical accessories turned off. Start the engine and run at 3,000 rpm’s until the engine reaches operating temperature (194º) or until the electric cooling fan at the radiator come on. You can have someone watch the fan or you will notice a sudden drop in the temperature indicated on the gauge. This will take about 4-6 minutes if the engine is cold

Once it reaches this point take you foot off the accelerator and let the engine idle on it’s own for 5 minutes. If the cooling fans come on during this process, deduct that amount of time from the 5 minutes. This will set the idle memory.

These directions are directly from the Acura Factory Manual.

what do thses things do? it has to be done? and what would be the consequences if i dont do it, coz im going to tkae it to a mechanic to change the battery, i cant bring my laptop there.