Anyone have CarChip yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Anyone have CarChip yet?

CarChip installs in seconds and lets you:

Troubleshoot your engine.
Help identify specific problems, trace intermittent ones, and eliminate guesswork in repairs.

Log your car's performance.
View straightforward graphs that show summary and detail reports for each trip.

Monitor driver performance.
Set thresholds for speed, acceleration, and braking, then see when they are exceeded. Great for training new drivers, managing fleets, and reviewing teen drivers' performance.

Save money, time, and worry.
Clear your own check engine light; walk into a repair shop more informed and confident.

CarChip fits all 1996 and later foreign and domestic vehicles to automatically record and store 75 hours of trip details, including:
Time, date and distance for each trip
Speed logged every 5 seconds
Hard acceleration and decelerations
Engine diagnostic trouble codes and status of other engine parameters when the code occurred
Idle time
Time and date CarChip is connected or disconnected.

In addition to the above features, the advanced model, CarChip E/X stores 300 hours of trip details and measures up to four engine parameters every 5 to 60 seconds (and there are 23 parameters to choose from!).
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp

(here is a review) http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/prod...410327,00.html
Old 02-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still prefer to have an OBD-II scanner.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still use the paper clip method of troubleshooting
Old 02-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Advanced

I thought that this was an OBD scanner; it just stays hooked up to the OBDII port and records additonal information over time. How would a standalone scanner be different/better than this device? I saw the review on TechTV as well, and it looked like a pretty neat gadget for the price.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:51 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
hehe. ya i was watchin TechTV last nite too.

i didnt realize so many people watched that channel
Old 02-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Instructor

how much

How much those that device run for and where can we get it?
Old 02-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
I still prefer to have an OBD-II scanner.
I picked up the 3100 OBD II tool for resetting and checking codes, but this is more of a "data logger" and has its uses.

I don't think you would want to "brag" about any acceleration times with the data stream coming in from slipping tires, etc.

OTOH, if you don't want to drag a laptop along in the car and just log data, it doesn't need to be "strapped down"/"tied down" and it's small...

YMMV
Old 02-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Re: how much

Originally posted by LiLMaN
How much those that device run for and where can we get it?
$139/179 see first entry for URL..
Old 02-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

buried info...

Originally posted by aciurczak
I thought that this was an OBD scanner; it just stays hooked up to the OBDII port and records additonal information over time. How would a standalone scanner be different/better than this device? I saw the review on TechTV as well, and it looked like a pretty neat gadget for the price.
With a handheld, you can reset the MIL lamp and check pending codes and features WHILE you are sitting in the car. You can leave the OBD device hooked up and get ongoing data and clear-out freeze frame data, etc.

I see where you can GET the freeze frame data and other code, but I also notice that the PDF file says you can report the trouble to your mechanic. I don't see where it says you can press a button or enter a code to have it clear the MIL lamp and pending codes by itself.

http://www.davisnet.com/product_docu...chip_specs.pdf

"The CarChip and CarChipE/X plug into your car’s OBDII port and are compatible with most vehicles sold in the US since 1996 and with many cars sold elsewhere in the world since that time. Once plugged in, the CarChip records trip and performance data for later download to a PC computer. The down-loaded data provides a detailed history of the vehicle’s performance and operation. Recorded data includes trip start and end times, vehicle speeds, rates of acceleration and braking, and also any OBDII trouble codes detected during the trip. The CarChipE/X also provides additional vehicle monitoring capabilities including the logging of additional data parameters and more detailed "accident" data for all sudden stops. This information can be viewed in summary, record, plot or table format and can also be exported to other applications."

AND

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...p_Help_You.pdf

"If the vehicle’s check engine light (also known as a malfunction indicator light or MIL) comes on, you’ll also be able to read the diagnostic trouble code (or DTC) and get “freeze-frame” sensor readings that will tell you the status of various engine parameters at the time the problem occurred. This data can help you or your mechanic identify the specific components that
are failing, saving time and money compared to your average guess-and-replace repair..."

EDIT: NEVER Mind -- here is the blurb to clea the MIL Lamp:

"Using CarChip’s software, Joan programmed the unit to turn the check engine light off the next time she started the car. If the problem was random or tempo-rary,the light would stay off. But if there was a real problem with the car, the light would come on again within a few trips...."

(So, you run to the computer with the device and run back -- that will do...)