5AT Control...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004 | 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

5AT Control...

How much would people like to have better control of their 5AT shifting and feel??

Programmable Transmission Controller

It is interesting and by the looks of it, with the mentioned I/O, it could work on the CL/TL. What benefits would it provide, probably not enough for the cost. But as cars get older and people start messing with them more it could be a solution.

Things like being able to run and upgraded torque converter and program for it. You could even have complete control over the 1st to 2nd shift. The feel could also be improved and potentially the repeatability.

Doesn't matter to me though...
Old 06-25-2004 | 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 06-25-2004 | 02:37 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Interesting!, how much?
Old 06-25-2004 | 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

They show a price of $700 for the unit alone. But you would have to hard wire it and figure out the program.

It is interesting though that now there is basically a standalone transmission controller. Combine that with the standalone engine management system and you can do whatever you want.
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:23 PM
G
Bitten.

I was just talking to somebody the other day and we both thought that it would be awesome to have that kind of control over the tranny. But damn, for 700 beans , I think I can live with what I have!
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:28 PM
Lead Footed

Now you mentioned under the Hope Systems thread that this was something you were thinking of. Is this the same thing?

If so, you know a lot of us have expressed a dissatifaction over the new PCM that is put in with the rebuilt trannys. It really does SUCK! But I don't think I could pull off $700 for such a mod . .

I do have $300 stashed and waiting for RES

Keep us posted on what comes of this as I am interested if it does produce results, gets cheaper and or could be done in conjuntion with the E-Manage set-up.

Ruf
Old 06-25-2004 | 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Naw, this was not what I had in mind. I saw this on the SELOC site and thought I would inform. What I have in mind is to be able to manually adjust the line pressure control to firm up the shifts if desired. This should come in significantly less expensive.
Old 06-25-2004 | 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RUF87
I do have $300 stashed and waiting for RES
Doh, my mind is an too many places.

I was at the machine shop today concerning my real job and some fixturing for a measurement system. Anyway, I completely forgot to ask about the machining of the RES plate. :o
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Got Krell?

The price would probably be bumped up a bit with the addition of the Amp/Tyco connectors (re: plug 'n play).

You going to handle all of the I/O issues and testing. Got some uppers and an extra arm transplant planned? Been using the Krell brain booster too? :P

Steve’s lab:

I wonder how the Acura software would "react" to some altered returned values coming back?

Level-10 was going to build a master control – at one time – and then dropped it. Don’t know why.
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EricL
The price would probably be bumped up a bit with the addition of the Amp/Tyco connectors (re: plug 'n play).

You going to handle all of the I/O issues and testing. Got some uppers and an extra arm transplant planned? Been using the Krell brain booster too? :P

Steve’s lab:

I wonder how the Acura software would "react" to some altered returned values coming back?

Level-10 was going to build a master control – at one time – and then dropped it. Don’t know why.

Similar to many, my lab consists of a few benches, one fold up table, stray wire insulation and quite a bit of splattered solder. But we do have access to some fun equipment though.

I doubt I would want to tackle this one as the price is really prohibitive. And it is like pulling teeth and appendages to get any small quantities from Amp/Tyco. Thanks goodness for samples.

I do feel the line pressure control is realistic though and might prove beneficial. It really is just an increased duty cycle signal. But who knows how the touchy 5AT will react.
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by scalbert

And it is like pulling teeth and appendages to get any small quantities from Amp/Tyco. Thanks goodness for samples.
Heck, just getting two sets of connectors for the ECU with both flavors of pins, had the tooth fairy knocking at the door with aprons and sharp objects. I had to hide when I heard the sound of the dental drill.

I got all of this "special order" crap *and* was told they wanted a 500-peice minimum.

Oh, and 3-commercial references before they would submit final quantity pricing.

Can you say, "Easy to buy from -- NOT!!!!"
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:38 PM
Lead Footed

Doh, my mind is an too many places.

I was at the machine shop today concerning my real job and some fixturing for a measurement system. Anyway, I completely forgot to ask about the machining of the RES plate. :o
No worries, I'm still waiting for Christmas . . . this will be the first year in a while that I can tell my family what I want. $10s and $20s

Ruf
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:04 PM
Blown is Best

As you are gauging interest, I don't see $700 of value in this for me. It's a nice product but the additional functionality is a bit pricey.

Keep the ideas coming for us 5AT guys though.
Old 06-26-2004 | 01:10 AM
///M POWER

i can control the shifts using the gate shifting... only in SS u cant control 1-2
Old 06-26-2004 | 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by darrinb
i can control the shifts using the gate shifting... only in SS u cant control 1-2
Thanks a lot :captainobvious:
Old 06-28-2004 | 11:27 PM
Racer

I got this reply from them, but if it's really $700....then I would have no interest at all.

I was odly curious about why we had hit statistics on our website from
an Acura CL web forum and why there has been some interest from Acura CL
owners. After taking a look at the forum and investigating briefly, I now
understand based on the frequent complaints and failures.

I have not yet investigated the transmission used in this application
but I can confidentially say that it is an application we should be able to
control. However, our product is not generally intended for minor tuning
modifications as it is somewhat expensive, very powerful and can be somewhat
complex. This is because our unit is a full standalone transmission
controller (akin to many standalone engine controllers you might find in the
aftermarket) that assumes full control of your transmission. This has the
benefit of defeating all problems with the stock controller as it will no
longer be in use. In many newer stock vehicles, installing our transmission
controller will cause your check engine light to go off as well.

With those warnings in mind, our transmission controller can fully tune the
behavior of your transmission (when it shifts, how hard it shifts, when the
torque converter locks up). You can have multiple calibrations, modes of
operation, button shifting, torque management and a large number of other
potential features. If you are interested in pursuing such a transmission
controller to work with your vehicle, please let me know. Also, please do
not hesitate to ask should you have any more questions or want additional
information.

Thanks,
James Ballenger
Powertrain Control Solutions
james@ptcs.us
Phone: (804) 752-6025x204
Fax: (804) 752-3516
www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

Old 06-28-2004 | 11:46 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Ruf87,

Do you really notice a difference with the new PCM that was to be installed on cars with rebuilt trannies? I've had mine installed for a good 7,000 miles and have not noticed any difference.
Old 06-29-2004 | 12:06 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
Ruf87,

Do you really notice a difference with the new PCM that was to be installed on cars with rebuilt trannies? I've had mine installed for a good 7,000 miles and have not noticed any difference.

Yes, and it is very noticable. Just read EricL's posts in the tranny forum . . . he explains the changes the replacement PCM makes. And me no likely shifts like a little old lady's car now.

Ruf
Old 06-29-2004 | 04:38 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

I do feel the line pressure control is realistic though and might prove beneficial. It really is just an increased duty cycle signal. But who knows how the touchy 5AT will react.
That does sound more promising then the 'PCT', especially for the money. Let us know how that progresses.