$299 for 15HP and 20lbft of torque (TYPE-S)???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 02:41 PM
Professional Pimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its $299 headers why not? Why isn't it possible for us to pool some money together and have some iron cast molds of some headers designed ourselves. Hell we can send this over to China to manufacturing and built in mass quantities. Call them the Acura-CL headers.
Old 08-24-2001, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Yes im going through a new vendor for the pulleys. Im waiting on response. When I get my Pulleys and plugs in I will dyno my car. When I et the Mugen Exhaust in, I will dyno my car again to get a feel on what gains I made. Either way I'm not expecting much. The reason why I bought the Mugen is because I liked the way it looked, and its not loud at all. When this mod comes out,..I will buy it and dyno it as usual.

Oh I will dyno tune my V-AFC after I do all my mods.

Spiro
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
<STRONG>Spiroh,

R u willing to buy this new mystery mod and dyno your car.... are u still waitng to get the pulleys in?</STRONG>
Old 08-24-2001, 02:55 PM
Professional Pimp

If its $299 headers why not? Why isn't it possible for us to pool some money together and have some iron cast molds of some headers designed ourselves. Hell we can send this over to China to manufacturing and built in mass quantities. Call them the Acura-CL headers.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:00 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THIS IT IT!!!!

THE MUGEN PISTON KEYCHAIN

PROLLY MORE LIKE 50 HP AND 75 LBFT OF TORQUE
Old 08-24-2001, 03:02 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by phil2:
<STRONG>THIS IT IT!!!!
</STRONG>
hahaha
Old 08-24-2001, 03:03 PM
Race Director

when can we expect availability?

AND

WILL IT MAKE THE ENGINE SOUND ANY DIFFERENT??? better/worse?
Old 08-24-2001, 03:14 PM
Banned

Looking at the price and the fact that it is a bolt-on...I would say probably a cam gear.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:15 PM
Banned

Dude - you forgot the "Mewghen powahed" sticker that comes with that.

Originally posted by phil2:
<STRONG>THIS IT IT!!!!

PROLLY MORE LIKE 50 HP AND 75 LBFT OF TORQUE</STRONG>
Old 08-24-2001, 03:17 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Doug,

Let me know when you have an idea for the price of the J30A and if they gains will be even HALF what the Type-S is. (Dyno charts are good too)

I can promise you a long line of customers for this puppy.

Thank you Doug for letting RAdams get his hands on the dyno sheets and thank you Radams for posting the dyno's!
Old 08-24-2001, 03:21 PM
RedLineTypeS

Originally posted by moomaster_99:
<STRONG>Looking at the price and the fact that it is a bolt-on...I would say probably a cam gear.</STRONG>
Given what we know:

1) Will work wit Intake/Headers/Exhaust
2) Looks pimp
3) adds more torque the hp
4) costs 299
5) is a bolt-on

I think Cam gear is out becuase it wouldnts be seen to even say is cool lookin. Cam Shafts are out for same reason... Intake cooler (intercooler)is a stupid idea for a N/A car .. youd have to cool air 150 degrees to get 15ponies. Short headers are a possible, or something to restrict exhaust down low to create that TQ but still flow normally for HP up high.... possible its as simple as new mufflers... add more TQ then HP, looks cool and costs 299

Old 08-24-2001, 03:23 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by RedLineTypeS:
<STRONG>...what we know:

2) Looks pimp
4) costs 299
5) is a bolt-on</STRONG>
Don't forget that it bolts on in minutes.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RedLineTypeS:
<STRONG>

Given what we know:

2) Looks pimp
4) costs 299
5) is a bolt-on

I think Cam gear is out becuase it wouldnts be seen to even say is cool lookin. </STRONG>
Ahhh!!! But you're supposed to remove the timing gear cover to be able to adjust the cam gear...I still think that's it...I couldn't think of anything even remotely cheap enough for that price...not even ignition systems are that cheap. Gears...
Old 08-24-2001, 03:53 PM
Racer

you have to admit those are pretty nice gains throughout the band.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by so cal type s:
<STRONG>you have to admit those are pretty nice gains throughout the band.</STRONG>
Pretty even...that usually comes from tuning..so, cam gears...
Old 08-24-2001, 04:32 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by moomaster_99:
<STRONG>Pretty even...that usually comes from tuning..so, cam gears... </STRONG>
On the dyno graphs the dual stage induction and VTEC transitions are smoother vs. stock. Does this indicate cam gears as well?

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Bluto ]
Old 08-24-2001, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bluto:
<STRONG>

On the dyno graphs the dual stage induction and VTEC transitions are smoother vs. stock. Does this indicate cam gears as well?

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Bluto ]</STRONG>
In general, a cam gear is a tuning device which helps to smooth the powerband...hmmm...that's still a lot of power form gears...but hey, I found it hard to believe 30 ponies for headers too...
Old 08-24-2001, 04:42 PM
magnet

Originally posted by gil:
<STRONG>I'm shocked that some people here are already committing to buy this guy's product considering:
1 - they have no idea of the financial stability of the guy who is offering it (sound familiar? HINT: Xypher CAI???)
2 - they don't even know the slightest detail about it,
3 - they've never seen it,
4 - we've never heard from this guy before,
5 - we have no idea of what type of warranty, if any, this product comes with.

Everyone should still be weary from the whole Xypher CAI situtation some members experienced.

You know, I'm constantly in disbelief when I hear about all the scandals and bad deals that go on in the world today, but when I hear things like some members here committing to drop $300 with this guy considering the items listed above, then it makes me aware of how truly gullible so many people actually are.

Do yourselves a favor - diligently check out anything before you buy. Anyone can come up to an internet board and say, "HEY, I CAN GIVE YOU A 15BHP GAIN FOR $300!!!" Professionals who have a legitimate product to offer would use better means of communication. Once again, I'll say that I don't know this guy or his product - he may be legit. His methods thus far point to a different conclusion. Caveat emptor!!!

Just my $.02</STRONG>
hey newbie yes we have heard about this guy before i know him i had the 3.5 l upgrade done and its no bs..........everyone aways bashes syncivic and he is the one that makes products for our cars that nobody else does instead of bashing him you should be more considerate trust me ive seen his work ive had it done to my car and i loved it the car ran great...........so be more considerate if you cant afford the products then dont flame
Old 08-24-2001, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mchtypeS:
<STRONG>
hey newbie yes we have heard about this guy before i know him i had the 3.5 l upgrade done and its no bs..........everyone aways bashes syncivic and he is the one that makes products for our cars that nobody else does instead of bashing him you should be more considerate trust me ive seen his work ive had it done to my car and i loved it the car ran great...........so be more considerate if you cant afford the products then dont flame</STRONG>
Actually, he should try to get them CARB legal and hook up with one of the dealerships out in Cali...that's where the money is...
Old 08-24-2001, 04:49 PM
Banned

ATTN SYNCIVIC:

Is this product being developed by The Propulsion Laboratory?
Old 08-24-2001, 05:01 PM
Professional Pimp

Doesn't slapping $299 worth of stickers give us 10-15 extra horsepower? I've heard so many anadoctal evidence from sticker holders...
Old 08-24-2001, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

As much as I like what the folks did with the 3.5L, the "teaser" format reminds me too much of "Xepher".

How many times did we get this, "Hey, I got this or that coming" OR "Hey, I have a 5.5 sec 0..60. Wouldn't you guys like to know..."

The point I'm trying to make here is:

The message (or device) which could really be great, turns into a late night sales pitch for something that falls into the "if it looks to good to be true, it must be".

Syncivic (Doug) --> Could you do everyone (or at least me) a favor and just name the item, and then get ready to take a bunch of money (if it does what you say it does)...

(Yes, just my opinion here...)
Old 08-24-2001, 05:12 PM

I got $300 that says it ain't cam gears... I don't know what it is, but cam gears are normally a trade off... you give up some low end for better top end, or you sacrifice some top end for better low end.

The muffler idea that someone mentioned sounds the most feasible so far, but GD if you can get that kind of gains.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:13 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 08-24-2001, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by EricL:
<STRONG>As much as I like what the folks did with the 3.5L, the "teaser" format reminds me too much of "Xepher".

How many times did we get this, "Hey, I got this or that coming" OR "Hey, I have a 5.5 sec 0..60. Wouldn't you guys like to know..."

The point I'm trying to make here is:

The message (or device) which could really be great, turns into a late night sales pitch for something that falls into the "if it looks to good to be true, it must be".

Syncivic (Doug) --> Could you do everyone (or at least me) a favor and just name the item, and then get ready to take a bunch of money (if it does what you say it does)...

(Yes, just my opinion here...)</STRONG>
I think you're making a premature comparison. It really isn't fair to even MENTION Doug and Xephyr in the same post: phyr took people's money and didn't deliver a product.

Doug has developed a product that will provide X increase in hp, X increase in torque, provided a dyno sheet, price and date of release. Not to mention that the 3.5L upgrade was, at one time, just an alleged "pipe dream" as well -- but we all know it came to fruition and didn't fail to meet the performance claims. Given all of this, I simply can't fathom why so few of you give Doug the benefit of the doubt on this. Is it because you guys can't imagine what the item is? Seems like a pretty weak base. If the issue here is that you "can't wait" until then... I don't know what to tell you. What makes this different from Comptech telling you that they're developing a supercharger but that it's 2 YEARS away from hitting the market? I don't see any 9-page threads peppered with people bashing them.

Until such time as it is released (at SEMA) or Doug sees fit to let you know what it is, you'll have to remain patient.

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: RAdams ]
Old 08-24-2001, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RAdams:
<STRONG>
I think you're making a premature comparison. It really isn't fair to even MENTION Doug and Xephyr in the same post: phyr took people's money and didn't deliver a product.

Doug has developed a product that will provide X increase in hp, X increase in torque, provided a dyno sheet, price and date of release. Not to mention that the 3.5L upgrade was, at one time, just an alleged "pipe dream" as well -- but we all know it came to fruition and didn't fail to meet the performance claims. Given all of this, I simply can't fathom why so few of you give Doug the benefit of the doubt on this. Is it because you guys can't imagine what the item is? Seems like a pretty weak base. If the issue here is that you "can't wait" until then... I don't know what to tell you. What makes this different from Comptech telling you that they're developing a supercharger but that it's 2 YEARS away from hitting the market? I don't see any 9-page threads peppered with people bashing them.

Until such time as it is released (at SEMA) or Doug sees fit to let you know what it is, you'll have to remain patient.

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: RAdams ]</STRONG>

Boy, you sure got your panty hose in a bind.

If you read carefully, I made note of the 3.5L. I have talked to Doug via e-mail.

So, let me make an analogy here:

Let say that you saw an ad or style of ad on TV for a year and the guy doing a particular set of tricks was BUSTED by the FTC for screwing customers.

Now you have some person (either through lack of research or for "lesser" motives) use the exact same format as the "person" or agency that was using a particular technique that caused grief for a bunch of people.

If one was remotely intelligent, I believe that MOST people would be concerned about the "approach" being way too similar to the BAD one. As a result, why not just do what every other parts manufacturer does and pre-announce a product or perform a survey that is more "professional".

Look at the early comments by the other members and tell me that this couldn't be approached from a different angle.

I have no problem with the "product" -- only the format...

BTW -- it is just like Xepher's, regardless. And Chris (Xepher) did make a good product. Hmmm... something to think about (you infer what you want).

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]
Old 08-24-2001, 06:04 PM
foe
Racer

Will this thing be compatible with headers?
Old 08-24-2001, 06:08 PM

I'm going to be in Orlando, FL from Sept 8-10... how far is Palm Beach from Orlando? (I don't have a map of FL handy)

I wouldn't mind seeing Rick Case Acura.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by EricL:
<STRONG>
Boy, you sure got your panty hose in a bind.

If you read carefully, I made note of the 3.5L. I have talked to Doug via e-mail.

So, let me make an analogy here:

Let say that you saw an ad or style of ad on TV for a year and the guy doing a particular set of tricks was BUSTED by the FTC for screwing customers.

Now you have some person (either through lack of research or for "lesser" motives) use the exact same format as the "person" or agency that was using a particular technique that caused grief for a bunch of people.

If one was remotely intelligent, I believe that MOST people would be concerned about the "approach" being way too similar to the BAD one. As a result, why not just do what every other parts manufacturer does and pre-announce a product or perform a survey that is more "professional".

Look at the early comments by the other members and tell me that this couldn't be approached from a different angle.

I have no problem with the "product" -- only the format...

BTW -- it is just like Xepher's, regardless. And Chris (Xepher) did make a good product. Hmmm... something to think about (you infer what you want).
[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]</STRONG>
His initial post was informal... but how else would you characterize these forums as a whole? Would you rather he'd issued a press release?

Your comparison is very weak. Xephyr may have made a good product, but he also took the money for several of them and didn't ship them. There is no parallel here. ZERO.

Your entire retort is based, as you say, not on the product but on the way he decided to gauge interest and I'M the one with my panties in a bind?
Old 08-24-2001, 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BNut:
<STRONG>I'm going to be in Orlando, FL from Sept 8-10... how far is Palm Beach from Orlando? (I don't have a map of FL handy)

I wouldn't mind seeing Rick Case Acura. </STRONG>
Rick Case is actually located in Plantation, FL (think Fort Lauderdale). It's about 220 miles from Orlando proper.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:29 PM

<STRONG>Rick Case is actually located in Plantation, FL (think Fort Lauderdale). It's about 220 miles from Orlando proper.</STRONG>
Thanks for the info!

Damn, scratch that idea.

I was hoping to sell my soul to Doug for a peak at the mystery mod.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:34 PM
Safety Car

You know, people praised Xypher too, until he fucked people over and disappreared. Now I am not accusing Doug of being remotely that type of a guy, I am giving an example of something that has happened. Obviously this is a more legit operation than Xyphers, with a dealership involved but I think the problem becomes is that there is too much speculation since this product seems to do way too much of the price that you pay. When something is too good to be true, it usully is.

When Comptech announced that they are making an SC in 2 years, we can wait because we know what we are waiting for, an SC precisely. However in this case, its only a mythical thing like, a guy saying he has this product, and another guy backing him up.
Syncivic: Maybe if you can tell us what it is, why dont you just tell us whether it is a new product that has never been done on any car, or is this an existing product that has being modified to fit our cars. No flaming, just some observation.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:37 PM
Learn to swim.

Originally posted by typeR:
<STRONG>
NOW YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!![ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: typeR ]</STRONG>

Wow, all caps. That must mean your really angry and yelling at me right? Sure, my post still stands.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BigPimp:
<STRONG>You know, people praised Xypher too, until he fucked people over and disappreared. Now I am not accusing Doug of being remotely that type of a guy, I am giving an example of something that has happened. Obviously this is a more legit operation than Xyphers, with a dealership involved but I think the problem becomes is that there is too much speculation since this product seems to do way too much of the price that you pay. When something is too good to be true, it usully is.

When Comptech announced that they are making an SC in 2 years, we can wait because we know what we are waiting for, an SC precisely. However in this case, its only a mythical thing like, a guy saying he has this product, and another guy backing him up.
Syncivic: Maybe if you can tell us what it is, why dont you just tell us whether it is a new product that has never been done on any car, or is this an existing product that has being modified to fit our cars. No flaming, just some observation.</STRONG>
I hope you can appreciate my position here: I'm sworn to secrecy but I know what the mod is. The power gains are not only TOTALLY realistic, but they're TOTALLY factual. Doug dyno'd the car. However, rather than rebut anything any further or answer anymore questions, I'll let the release of the product in late October do all of the talking.

Happy Halloween.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

<STRONG>

His initial post was informal... but how else would you characterize these forums as a whole? Would you rather he'd issued a press release?

Your comparison is very weak. Xephyr may have made a good product, but he also took the money for several of them and didn't ship them. There is no parallel here. ZERO.

Your entire retort is based, as you say, not on the product but on the way he decided to gauge interest and I'M the one with my panties in a bind? </STRONG>

I can only speak for myself, but if I wanted to gauge the level of interest (in lieu of the amount of controversy), I would just put up a small link BACK to my own web page and just have a "upcoming attractions" page.

I would also just add an "include"/"exclude" news/e-mail form that allowed people to get information and/or participate in surveys with an appropriate prize for a winner chosen at random.

This approach eliminates the "Public Spectacle" of a TV promotion road show (with little to show) and moves the "discussion" into a "private" arena.

Believe me, it is like the 6-speed testing at Honda/Acura -- the word gets around fast. A good new product and/or potential product is its own best advertising.

As a note -- this whole deal reminds me of the 3.5L stuff, where I simply made similar comments and got a public tongue lashing for just asking about the 3.5 for California users -- this soon turned into a us vs. them discussion. (Comments were made about how I should move to Florida just to get the 3.5L in lieu of the expensive CARB certification.)

Sometimes the "tone" of the message has more to do than the message itself. Knowing the board (as it is), I personally would not "bait" as follows:

"Hey, would you guys pay $199.95 for an item that gave you 20 more HP and only took 20 minutes to install"

You got to be kidding -- it is like "stupid" commercials -- they are there own marketing strategy. People remember and comment BECAUSE of the very “nature” of the beast!

BTW -- Doug, you get an A+ for string pulling and you are THE puppet master. Baiting this forum is a stroke of marketing genius!
Old 08-24-2001, 07:07 PM
Drifting

<STRONG>

I'll let the release of the product in late October do all of the talking.

Happy Halloween.</STRONG>
Thats what i am saying...Ill just sit with my 3 bills in hand till it comes out...if its good, I will get it...if its not, then i will be 3 bills richer! No big deal.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

<STRONG>You know, people praised Xypher too, until he fucked people over and disappreared. Now I am not accusing Doug of being remotely that type of a guy, I am giving an example of something that has happened. Obviously this is a more legit operation than Xyphers, with a dealership involved but I think the problem becomes is that there is too much speculation since this product seems to do way too much of the price that you pay. When something is too good to be true, it usully is.

Syncivic: Maybe if you can tell us what it is, why dont you just tell us whether it is a new product that has never been done on any car, or is this an existing product that has being modified to fit our cars. No flaming, just some observation.</STRONG>
Exactly we know it's a supercharger and know how it works and the pros/cons. Comptech also didn't come here and tease us.

BTW i'm having my doubts on the torque numbers being the same when applied to a CL with mods.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:12 PM
Pro

What's the word on the turbo cl-S? Did you scrap the project?
Old 08-24-2001, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Exactly we know it's a supercharger and know how it works and the pros/cons. Comptech also didn't come here and tease us.

BTW i'm having my doubts on the torque numbers being the same when applied to a CL with mods.

Also why at the end of the post topic name does it say "(TYPE-S)???" What does this mean...whats up with the question marks...does this mean it MIGHT be for the type-s?
Old 08-24-2001, 07:16 PM
Professional Pimp

This will be the post that never dies... along with where is the supercharger, where is the bodykit...

etc etc.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:30 PM
Racer

People people, this may all be a hoax! 10 pages! ahhhhhh

Quick Reply: $299 for 15HP and 20lbft of torque (TYPE-S)???