$299 for 15HP and 20lbft of torque (TYPE-S)???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
<STRONG>

You have good intention, but your ignorance of this guy is your excuse. Read the freaking thread, this guy is an Acura dealer with a tuning shop like Comptech, he is no joke.

Just listen and watch....</STRONG>
And he also is the one that first offered the 3.5 upgrade for you CL-S people. <-That's right right?
Old 08-24-2001, 12:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm interested. please keep us updated.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:20 AM
Honkey

If this product is big and chrome, I'll buy it. I don't care if I lose hp, as long as it looks cool.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

You guys may not be in love with the way Doug initially introduced this product, but rest assured it's real and it works.

Who am I and how do I know?

I drive a TL-S so I don't frequent this board, but I've known Doug for some time now. Just today I saw and touched the prototype of the product he's talking about. It's not a final production piece, but it's of such quality that I wouldn't hesitate to bolt in onto my car as is. I also have, in my posession, the dyno graphs hot off the presses for this mod. I'll be scanning them first thing in the morning.

I took a vow of silence as Rick Case (the man and the corporation) wants this item unveiled at SEMA. I honestly don't see why you people have a problem with that. SEVERAL other manufacturer's choose to unveil their products for the first time there -- it's an industry norm. I also don't understand why people are drawing comparisons to the Xephyr fiasco when Doug has never done anything to even put him or Rick Case in the same PLANET with Xephyr. Doug is the "father" of the 3.5L package -- the gains it afforded were EXACTLY what he said they'd be -- all he did was report what the dyno said -- no trickery. I went to the track with him and the car. I scanned and posted links to the timeslips ( http://ron.b16a.com/3.5L_timeslips/ ).

Bottom line: This product is real. I saw it with my own eyes and touched it with my own hands. Truth be told, the gains from this item he's claiming are slightly on the conservative side compared to what the dyno sheet says. Again, you'll see that tomorrow.

In the mean time, know that Doug wouldn't make claims that his product doesn't stand up to, so let's stop with the stupid generalizations.

And NO it's not a sticker
Old 08-24-2001, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JZ:
<STRONG>
Sorry to flame but the maturity level of this place is going down the tubes lately. Just relax, see what he has to offer. If it's nothing than you have nothing to worry about. If it has some real merit than great, I'm all for it.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: JZ ]</STRONG>
perfectly put.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:24 AM
Banned

Scan it now!
Scan it now!
Scan it now!

Please for the love of god do it now...
Old 08-24-2001, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
So if he has it on the 3.5 upgraded CL, he should be running 13's??!!? Damn..
Old 08-24-2001, 12:31 AM
gil
Intermediate

Nashua & everyone else in line,

Go ahead and buy it then. Good luck - I honestly hope it works well and that you get the results you're wanting. You have to admit this guy's methods are sketchy. He has yet to formally introduce himself, his product or his facilities, company and warranty info. We're just hearing second-hand info from people who say they know this guy. Has anyone seen his "shop that is just like Comptech's?" Where's his website, company info and product info? (BTW, I did "read the freakin thread.")

I just think everyone's a little quick to jump to their checkbooks, and I'd hate to see unsuspecting people get messed up with this, financially or mechanically.

I would hope that most people here have the intelligence to know they should not put anything on their car until they see a legitimate warranty with reasonable assurance that he carries liability insurance to cover any warranty claims. Regardless of how much experience this guy has in building stuff like this, mistakes happen - especially when products roll into production. But then again, that's why we're free to make our own decisions. Just don't expect the laws of our country to protect and stand up for those who make rash, poor and uninformed decisions.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by gil:
<STRONG>I would hope that most people here have the intelligence to know they should not put anything on their car until they see a legitimate warranty with reasonable assurance that he carries liability insurance to cover any warranty claims. </STRONG>
Rick Case Acura has a full mfgrs warranty on the 3.5 upgrade, including the tranny. I think they're pretty confident.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Gil: I see you've been a member of the board since February. Odd that you don't recall seeing any posts from Doug (syncivic). He's fairly well known on the board... he's not a newbie coming out of the woodwork pushing a product worthy of an informercial.

Again, his post was trying to gauge interest in a product that does what he says: installs as easily as he says (it does), produces the power that he says (it does) and sells for the price he mentioned (it will).

I've got the dyno graph of the test car, a 2002 TL-S with a STOCK run, an run with Doug's mod and a run with Doug's mod plus a CAI. If I had a scanner at home I'd post it right this second. Rest assured I will post it FIRST THING tomorrow morning.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm loathe to go into any more detail, but rest assured this item is 100% bolt-on. Non-invasive, if you will. You're just as likely to have a Comptech header cause you a warranty problem as you are with this item. [read: it won't]
Old 08-24-2001, 12:41 AM
RedLineTypeS

Increase torque for by 20lbs and HP by 15 for $299=>

1)Cam gear (easily)
2)Inverted megaphone (tapered) pre-cat exhaust (shorty header to factory down-pipe)
3)Lighter Harmonic balancer
4)ECU/Fuel Trim (Very difficult to get that gain in torque @ low end becuase of risk of detonation with 10.5:1 compression and running to lean, + Factory ECU is of great design and programming useless to upgrade w/o serious mods)
5) Lighter Pulley
6) Lower tranny gearing ( Expensive and hurts top end)

Doug is in fact a serious contender and he does not BS. Im really interested in what he is up to with this "project" He is not running a game on anyone in here but should give some more detail, I would love 20lbs increse with a bolt on

Old 08-24-2001, 01:06 AM
Prostyle Owner

OMG!!! today at about 1:30 central time i was at school and came here and i was looking at this thread and it had 7 posts!! and in only 8 hours it is above 130 posts, to all of you great job although some posts were very hard to read due to the skepticizm and hate and anger towards doug .
Everyone here has to chill about this whole topic and everything about this situation should be posted here and not post a new thread about it like i just saw coming in
. For the rude people that come on here and started flaming doug and the other members on here that were for his idea....please grow up and learn that if you have nothing good to say..don;t say anything at all, doing so will make this forum a match better place and won't convice people to leave.

gil: I mark you out more specifically because it seems that you have no respect for some of the veterens on this board, as well as people that have more knowledge about our cars then i am sure you and your kids combined will ever have. Don't talk about subjects you don;t know. Do me a favor go into the search part of this forum and type in member number 781, all the posts that come up our not going to be " what you do this weekend" or " party at my house" they are resources for information that us as members can use to make sure our cars run in the best form that they can. So please do your research, i would suggest by starting on the 3.5L upgrade

As for all the cautious cl owners out here, i understand where you are coming from. Let me answer some of your questions. Why is the info so limited??? let me ask you this why is the CL 6 speed info so limited as well???It is the way companies and their ideas work, they don;t want to give the chance for another competator to come out with a better product before the one they have which won;t be worth nothing since it already has a big brother before it comes out. So just be patient and wait, you only have to wait about 12 hours til you see proof

BTW anyone know where and when SEMA is???Maybe we can have a CL board reunion their

doug: This seems like a excellent idea I am glad that the protoype is out of the way and running good. just wondering if it will need to be worked on periodically to make it run clean and good?? also since you are dealing with rick case i am sure the warrnety on this will be like the 3.5L upgrade, i'd like more details on that as well, but count me in on this, hopefully "group buy". Thank you for making our cars the way they should have been out of acura R&D....thank you.

Can;t wait to see the dynos bright and early tomarrow

take it easy and good luck,
dantes

P.S. first edit was due to grammtical errors due to question marks in places they should not be

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Dantes ]
Old 08-24-2001, 01:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dantes you said everything I wanted to say. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dantes:
<STRONG>
BTW anyone know where and when SEMA is???Maybe we can have a CL board reunion their
</STRONG>
2001 SEMA Show • International Tire Expo
Oct. 30-Nov 2, 2001
Las Vegas, Nev.
Open to Trade Only
Old 08-24-2001, 01:15 AM
Advanced

This shit is so ridiculous leave the guy alone. I live in Miami and I have meet Doug at Rick case, this guy knows his shit. Also if you don’t like the product that he is offering then stick your comment up your ass and do not comment. I see that there are a lot of little whining bitches in here. Some people need to grow up here and stop being so immature.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:18 AM
Race Director

i cant wait any longer!!!

I WANT IT!

guys, would this increase 0-60 by a lot?
Old 08-24-2001, 01:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by bioyuki:
<STRONG>

I though the only Honda/Acura's with a writeable ECU are the Integra/RSX and Civics </STRONG>
Technically but not literally...if you get what i'm saying. You just need a laptop(misc.stuff) and some skills. 4pumpedCL lol I love that your taking a different routine on your car. Do you have any pics of how it's coming? I will always remember your car...it was the first CL online I ever saw hooked up.

Old 08-24-2001, 01:20 AM
Banned

All I have to say is poor Soopa. Bad day to decide to run those bandwith tests .
Old 08-24-2001, 01:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by KCPreki11:
<STRONG>

Technically but not literally...if you get what i'm saying. You just need a laptop(misc.stuff) and some skills.</STRONG>

Can you elaborate further?
Old 08-24-2001, 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think what the original post intended to say was that the ECUs themselves cannot be written to. You have to use a piggyback EEPROM with the modified software parameters. There's a rumor going around that the RSX ECU is directly writeable... don't know how accdurate that is though.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:27 AM
Instructor

wtf you guys a bunch of fukin wankers. I respected tuner comes and tells you he has a 30HP part for you cars and you instantly call BS? Doug knows what hes talking about and unless someone stole his PW or some shit I know this part is real and does exactly what he says it will do. All you haters need to take a pill.

-defrag
Old 08-24-2001, 01:28 AM
Suzuka Master

<STRONG>

Can you elaborate further?</STRONG>
Hmm...well I never heard that RSX rumor...if it was true thats good for the RSX guys...Ok well the Type S is generated towards an older crowd. Acura engineers did the ECU just enough for speed but good gas mileage too. They could have kept going but you would lose gas mileage. You personally could sit it on a dyno for hours with a laptop and make run after run and write it the best way it fits your needs. I'm not at too much will to say...but...I hope you get my drift.

Old 08-24-2001, 01:30 AM
Prostyle Owner

Originally posted by amirsafdari:
<STRONG>
guys, would this increase 0-60 by a lot?</STRONG>
ehh, might shave .01-.15 of maybe....but then again 0-60 isn;t as important as the 1/4th is
Old 08-24-2001, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Dantes:
<STRONG>

ehh, might shave .01-.15 of maybe....but then again 0-60 isn;t as important as the 1/4th is </STRONG>
Depends what kind of race it is...

Old 08-24-2001, 01:40 AM
Racer

i just read threw six pages of bull shit guys, i am sure he will post his new mod as soon as he can, so lets just relax everyone. gee wiz its like a bunch of women at a bra sale.
Old 08-24-2001, 02:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Southpaw:
<STRONG>i just read threw six pages of bull shit guys, i am sure he will post his new mod as soon as he can, so lets just relax everyone. gee wiz its like a bunch of women at a bra sale. </STRONG>
Yea I know it's pretty bad...you're all grown-ups here now...aren't you?

Everyone should believe doug although his numbers might not be as well as if your modded since it was done on a stock TLS.
Time Will Tell fellas.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:18 AM
Instructor

SYN Im from Naples FL but in TN at the time as long as my warranty is str8....I'm in!!
Old 08-24-2001, 03:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by aeon:
<STRONG>

Oh shut up...

It doesn't seem that you know what you are talking about either, "on the cover of superstreet and says castrol syntec on it real big"--oh that one, huh? Nothing gets the blood going like some putz trying to pull seniority over the internet.

.</STRONG>
you know i thought well i wouldnt respond to your ignorant comments but ,changed my mind..
first of all in the description i was speaking directly to blxmjx...hoping it might help him decide if we were talking about the same car second my comments we designed to TRY to ADD validity to dougs post as someone one who knows him and respects his work...directed towards many of the new memebers that maybe hadnt seen some of his posts and that maybe didnt realize that as far as im concerned is the GOD of mod when it comes to our car...
NOW YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! and try having just alittle respect...and you'll get the same from me

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: typeR ]
Old 08-24-2001, 03:33 AM
RedLineTypeS

Originally posted by typeR:
<STRONG>you know i thought well i wouldnt respond to your ignorant comments but ,changed my mind..
first of all in the description i was speaking directly to blxmjx...hoping it might him help decide if we were talking about the same car second my comments we designed to TRY to ADD validity to dougs post as someone one who knows him and respects his work...directed towards many of the new memebers that maybe hadnt seen some of his posts and that maybe didnt realize that as far as im concerned is the GOD of mod when it comes to our car...
NOW YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! and try having just alittle respect...and you'll get the same from me</STRONG>
cyber-bitch-slap hahaha

Old 08-24-2001, 03:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by RedLineTypeS:
<STRONG>

cyber-bitch-slap hahaha </STRONG>
you made me laugh...thanks...:
Old 08-24-2001, 03:47 AM
foolio at heart

Originally posted by typeR:
<STRONG>you know i thought well i wouldnt respond to your ignorant comments but ,changed my mind..
first of all in the description i was speaking directly to blxmjx...hoping it might help him decide if we were talking about the same car second my comments we designed to TRY to ADD validity to dougs post as someone one who knows him and respects his work...directed towards many of the new memebers that maybe hadnt seen some of his posts and that maybe didnt realize that as far as im concerned is the GOD of mod when it comes to our car...
NOW YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! and try having just alittle respect...and you'll get the same from me

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: typeR ]</STRONG>
Ya, just clarifying what doug later clarified for us. That Stephan Papadakis' AEM sponsored civic is indeed the fasted fwd honda powered vehicle at this present time.

Doug, as far as I'm concerned you definitely know your stuff, as evidenced by the work you guys have done with the 3.5L and the Syntec Civic. Rest assured the board members will indeed pay for the type of mod that you are planning to release. Bro, its the manner in which you post this info, or lack of, that is stirring the pot. I understand the logic that you are employing, just make sure that you recognize that the passion that the board members are showing is angst at the poor aftermarket support that is currently available. Keep in mind that silence and a proper positive buzz about your product may work favorably for you and your product.
Anyways, good luck with your project and looking forward to your unveiling at the sema show.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:53 AM
Senior Moderator

well said
Old 08-24-2001, 03:53 AM
Honkey

A friend of mine will be getting me my ticket to SEMA shortly. Will Rick Case have a booth there, or will the product be under a different vendor? I'm just curious where I should look for it.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 4pumpedCL:
<STRONG>A friend of mine will be getting me my ticket to SEMA shortly. Will Rick Case have a booth there, or will the product be under a different vendor? I'm just curious where I should look for it.</STRONG>
damn i wish it was open to the public...
Old 08-24-2001, 04:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
<STRONG>

damn i wish it was open to the public... </STRONG>
It is

Last year when I went there was a huge line of people waiting for tickets to get in. If you know anyone that works at your local performance shop, you may be able to get some tickets for free.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P:
<STRONG>

It is

Last year when I went there was a huge line of people waiting for tickets to get in. If you know anyone that works at your local performance shop, you may be able to get some tickets for free.</STRONG>
Found this on the website:

Oct. 30-Nov 2, 2001
Las Vegas, Nev.
Open to Trade Only

Thats what my friend told me too

Old 08-24-2001, 04:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
<STRONG>

Found this on the website:

Oct. 30-Nov 2, 2001
Las Vegas, Nev.
Open to Trade Only

Thats what my friend told me too

</STRONG>
Well I didn't really pay attention when I was walking in, but I guess your right

The SEMA show in Long Beach is open to the public, but the big one in Las Vegas one isn't.

Anyways, if you still know anyone invloved in the aftermarket industry, you can still attend. http://www.expocard.com/shows/aaiw01/domestic/index.cfm

Just have them fill out the form and get you a pass.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:38 AM
Subie Dubie

As long as the gains are in the ballpark, and it doesn't void my warranty, you bet i'm in. Hell, the AEM intake with valve ran that much and adds 6 to 8 H.P. or so. This guy has credibility and i see no reason to flame him.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by Red Rider:
<STRONG>As long as the gains are in the ballpark, and it doesn't void my warranty, you bet i'm in. Hell, the AEM intake with valve ran that much and adds 6 to 8 H.P. or so. This guy has credibility and i see no reason to flame him.</STRONG>
no flames here.. but will he be able to keep up with the demand?

Quick Reply: $299 for 15HP and 20lbft of torque (TYPE-S)???