Winter A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter A/C question

Hey guys what's up, I have a question of the A/C. If I want to turn on the recirculation button (Light is on) in my TSX (kind of smelly in the city), what is the best way to prevent moisture building up inside on the windows? I have tried with A/C ON and A/C OFF with cooler temperature, but they both don't work.

Any ideas how I should use recirculation in winter?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Defrost button. A/C will be on, but it's blowing conditioned air to the front window. You can turn up the temperature with the A/C on.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't defrost being on force the recirc to turn off? I can't remember for sure but it seems to me that's how it works. I don't know that there is a solution to this problem when it's cold out. It seems that if recirc being on with the A/C isn't keeping up with amount of humidity you and your passengers bodies are adding to the environment, you've got few options.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

If your AC is on and working it shouldn't matter what the settings are. AC removes the moisture in the air. You shouldn't have moisture build up in the car. If AC is off you will eventually start to fog up in cold weather with circulation on.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Instructor

may be i have turned off the AC for a while (moisture build up in car).....so when I turned on the A/C with circulation....I get foggy windows....probably?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Modding newbie

Your car isn't air tight. Even with it on recirc, you're getting alot of outside air in the cabin, so honestly, I wouldn't worry about using the recirc in the winter. Works great in the summer because it draws in some already cool air to chill it more.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bc811
Hey guys what's up, I have a question of the A/C. ....
(/me pictures OP leaning into the center console and saying, "Good morning, A/C. I'd like to ask you something...."

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Doesn't defrost being on force the recirc to turn off?
It does on my 2006.

may be i have turned off the AC for a while (moisture build up in car).....so when I turned on the A/C with circulation....I get foggy windows....probably?
Unlikely. I learned (in a 1982 Accord LX, incidentally) that forced a/c during winter is the fastest way to defog windows. If the reverse is happening to you, have your a/c system checked out.

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Your car isn't air tight. Even with it on recirc, you're getting alot of outside air in the cabin,...
Did we mention to close the windows when you're doing this? Moon roof, too.

If you're getting moisture buildup inside the the windows, just click a/c to ON for a while, it should resolve the matter, and you can go back to whatever you were doing in the back seat to fog up all the windows.... When the fog is gone, go back to AUTO.

If your car fogs up in a short time, definitely have your a/c system checked. (Remember that having four people in the car -- or two people breathing very heavily -- will produce more moisture and CO2 than driving by yourself. You can bump the fan speed up a little when you have guests.)

Last edited by davidspalding; 01-27-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Are you talking about the windows fogging or frosting? When the a/c compressor is on its drying the air inside the cabin out. And it does a pretty good job of it. I've found when the weather's cooler and the humidity is higher (as it is here about 364 1/2 days of the year) its hard to keep the windows from frosting. I haven't found a way to keep it from happening.

And yes, the cabin of any vehichle isn't air tight, but the recirculator does a great job of keeping outside smells out of the car. I routinely pass a landfill in my travels and the recirculator makes it bearable. I will definitely vouch for its effectiveness.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Instructor

hey guys~ thanks for all your comments, but I just wanna know is there a way that I could turn on the Recir and A/C in WInter without fogging the windows? Coz when I do that the windows start fogging after 10 or so minutes. Even though the A/C is on and with 60 F
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
hey guys~ thanks for all your comments, but I just wanna know is there a way that I could turn on the Recir and A/C in WInter without fogging the windows? Coz when I do that the windows start fogging after 10 or so minutes. Even though the A/C is on and with 60 F

I already answered your question above. You just didn't read, or didn't like, my answer. Whatever....
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Okay, here's something for you to try. Turn on the a/c and run it like you normally would. When you see the windows get get foggy, try to wipe it away. If its on the inside of the windows, you're fogging up and there's something wrong with your a/c. Its not drying out the air like its supposed to. If its on the outside, its condensation caused by the humidity outside condensing on your cold glass. In that case, there's absolutely nothing you can do short of increasing the temperature inside the car. Hope that helps.