Whirring noise on throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirring noise on throttle

I've noticed that when I depress the gas pedal on my 5AT, I can hear a slight whirring noise coming from somewhere in the general direction of the engine compartment. It's quiet, but it's there. When I lift my foot, the whirring noise goes away (i.e., I don't hear while coasting.)

Anyone hear a sound like this? I pray it's not a sign that I have an afflicted transmission.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 5AT, and the noise is getting louder too. I also noticed that it is more apparent when you put more stress on the engine (e.g. under acceleration, or when you have the AC on).

I just took it to the dealer last week and they claimed it was 'wind noise'. I told them it is definitely not wind noise and I want to ride with the technicial to show them, but they said I'll need to make another appointment so I'm waiting on that...

Anyone else??
Old 07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could it possibly be this?

But seriously. No, I haven't heard the sound you describe.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
Could it possibly be this?

But seriously. No, I haven't heard the sound you describe.
When they said "200 hp," I had no idea they were talking about hamsterpower!

Anyhow, out of curiosity, I just checked to see if my car fell within the VIN range that was the subject of a TSB or whatever it was. My car is not in that range...
Old 07-26-2004, 12:04 PM
04 remembrance

Yep. Before I brought in my car, that noise was apparent in my ear as well.

I'll keep you guys posted to see what the problem exactly is. Let's pray it isn't a big one.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a sound that has been heard in just about every K-series equipped car. It is a normal characteristic of the engine. I have had to drive a couple dozen RSXs and TSXs in the last year or so for the exact same complaint and the whistle/whirring sound is identical in every one. You're car is fine unless it's very loud/irratic/shoppy or effects your performance. If you don't have any of those problems, don't lose sleep. Oh the fun of a silent drive timing chain and an intake side of an engine that has an essentially wide-open timing for the valvetrain.

Until just recently I have been a person that has worked for Honda/Acura for 4 years in Sales, and yes, SERVICE. I would consider myself a good source of knowledge and diagnostics on our cars.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:41 AM
04 remembrance

If that's the case, then I guess we have nothing to worry about.

However it is strange how the sound came after 10k miles..
Old 07-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think I started hearing the noise at that same range too....... (10k miles)

What's even more strange is that the noise can only be heard when the car is moving AND accelerating. i.e. I don't hear the noise if I rev in neutral, and that's what making me worry. Because if it was a normal noise from the engine, I should hear it whenever I rev the engine, right?

iamhonin, do you also hear the noise only when the car is moving, or whenever you rev the engine?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by supraken
I think I started hearing the noise at that same range too....... (10k miles)

What's even more strange is that the noise can only be heard when the car is moving AND accelerating. i.e. I don't hear the noise if I rev in neutral, and that's what making me worry. Because if it was a normal noise from the engine, I should hear it whenever I rev the engine, right?

iamhonin, do you also hear the noise only when the car is moving, or whenever you rev the engine?
I've got a tad less than 3000 miles, and I've been hearing it for basically the whole time.

I'll have to see if I can hear it in neutral; I haven't checked. If it can be heard only while the car is moving, that suggests the noise, whether normal or not, comes from the transmisison.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
3rd Gear

Hi! I have just over 24K km on my car and I sometimes get a similar noise. It seems to be coming from the front axle, like something is rubbing. I tend to hear it more at very low revs (e.g. when I'm looking for a parking spot at the mall). On the road, I don't hear it as much as the higher revs (and engine noise) may be muting out the whirring noise.

I've asked about this at my 16K and 24K service trips, but surprise, surprise, the techs could not here anything. They end up checking the wheels/axle/etc. and don't find anything.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:27 PM
04 remembrance

Yeah, I mentioned it to the service manager when he was test driving my car, but he claimed he heard nothing.

Anyways, moosecat, I hear it only when I'm accelerating and in gear as well. The sound in neutral is neutral.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Yeah, I mentioned it to the service manager when he was test driving my car, but he claimed he heard nothing.

Anyways, moosecat, I hear it only when I'm accelerating and in gear as well. The sound in neutral is neutral.
Right.

(I see I didn't phrase my post quite right, even though you got what I meant. Instead of saying "If it can be heard only while the car is moving...," I meant to say "If it can be heard only while the car is in gear....")
Old 08-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I think I have a problem. I made an appointment with the dealer for next week to check the whirring noise. However, in the past few days I've noticed the whirring noise is getting louder and is consistent (whenever the car is moving, with or w/o throttle). The car also feels a bit sluggish in acceleration.

So I decided to check the transmission fluid..........IT WAS EMPTY......well, almost.. I'm not sure if I checked it the proper way, but I just left the car on warmed up, shifted through D3, D, R, and then N (waited 5 seconds on each gear) and checked while it's on N. Is this the proper way for checking? Does it look like I have a leaking transmission? I didn't see any external leaks, and I have about 13000 miles on the car....

The appointment isn't until next Tuesday, what should I do??
Old 08-11-2004, 07:41 PM
04 remembrance

supra, what's your vin number?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

supra, what's your vin number?

It's not in the range for the recall thing, my VIN is 14257..... bought it last October.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:52 PM
04 remembrance

Oh then nevermind. I also bought it last October

Actually, I placed the order on September, but it got here on October.

iamhomin, who's vin number is 15024.

Where in NY are you from?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm from Staten Island, but actually working in upstate right now.

I actually ordered the car from Acura of Manhattan in Sept and it took a month for delivery.........man was that month LONG!! I knew one of the sales and he gave me a recently good deal (at that time), 25,800 for my 5AT no navi, and a free accessory...

I'm hoping this isn't anything serious and hopefully they don't have to replace the transmission.... :'(

which part of nj are you from?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:15 PM
04 remembrance

Acura of Manhattan? Me too! My deal however was slightly better than yours ($25,500)

BTW, http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13065

Check it out

iamhomin, who's from Bergen County.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, you are quick at posting...

25,500??? I feel ripped off now, even though it's $300....... He was supposed to give me the best deal possible at the time. I guess that's what I get for a no haggle deal.... or maybe because you paid in full for the car? I did a 60 mo for 3.74%, probably will pay it off sooner. Who was your salesperson btw? I hope it's not Andy, or I'll him

I don't know about the meet, because I dunno if I still have a transmission by then....... I'll see how this thing goes.... but man, where are all the NY/NJer's?

Any idea what I should do with the car before the service appointment next Tues? I don't think it's a good idea to run with low/no tranmission fluid until then...??
Old 08-11-2004, 10:51 PM
04 remembrance

Oh FUCK.

3.74%?! Now I feel ripped off. Any downpayments Ken?

So here's what I paid. $25,500 for the car. $1230 for NJ taxes. $500 for titles and destination fee. $5000 for downpayment.

Final cost of vehicle: $22230. Financed at 4.9%/60 months. $1089.27/Per year x five= $5446.35

$22230 + 5446.35 = $27776.35/60 = $462.94 per month.

If I got the same APR as you were given, I would've paid a lot less.

$22530 (since you paid $300 more)
$842.62/Per year x five = $4213.11

$22530 + 4213.11 = $26743.11/60 = $445.72 per month.

I'm paying $1033.24 than you are, AND you got free accessories.

SCOTT ....... I should've gone to andy.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Final cost of vehicle: $22230. Financed at 4.9%/60 months. $1089.27/Per year x five= $5446.35

Is that how it's calculated? I never knew that..... Actually I financed 20k flat, so I'm paying like $370 a month.... I guess it makes sense....ANNUAL percentage rate Altogether I'm paying like $29.5K I think.

I guess every deal from the dealer is more or less equal since the dealer will rip you off somewhere...... but at the end I don't think it's that much of a difference anyways, just enjoy the car
Old 08-12-2004, 08:33 AM
04 remembrance

Is your appointment @Acura of Manhattan?

Perhaps I should go the day you go and complain about the high APR I was offered.

iamhomin, who's credit is nearly perfect, but was fooled by their best offer claim.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nah, my appointment is here in upstate NY. I don't know how old you are, but perhaps you don't have too long of a credit history? I had to get my brother to co-sign (he's 4 yrs older than me) to get that APR.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Just out of curiosity, is it the same "whirring" that you hear when you're in reverse? Kind of like the sound that is made by one of those Power Wheels toys? If so, I get the whirring, too. It wasn't as noticable before 10k for me as well.

//useless post but confirms anyone's suspicions
Old 08-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jester2
Just out of curiosity, is it the same "whirring" that you hear when you're in reverse? Kind of like the sound that is made by one of those Power Wheels toys? If so, I get the whirring, too. It wasn't as noticable before 10k for me as well.

//useless post but confirms anyone's suspicions
You mean the high-pitched transmission noise that comes from having such steep gearing in reverse? That's not the sound I hear. Maybe you're talking about another reverse sound though.

What I hear is a steady whirring noise that does not vary according to how hard I press the gas pedal. (It's only audible when the gas pedal is pressed, but it doesn't get faster or louder the more gas I give it.) And it is gone completely when my foot is off the pedal.

I keep forgetting to see if I can make it happen in neutral, while stopped, which would help to determine whether it is a transmission sound or an engine sound.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Right. Back onto the topic

Just like what Moosecat said, it's a different noise than the reverse gear sound, which is much more pleasant (and somewhat exciting to me) to hear.....

The closest thing I can think of is the sound of water flowing through a hollow, metal pipe. For me, this noise comes up whenever the car has been running/warmed up, and the car is in gear and moving. When the throttle is applied it gets a bit louder than when crusing, but it's a constant whirring noise, but it doesn't change in pitch or frequency.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Hm...

Moosecat, just as supraken had mentioned earlier, and just to be safe, what if you double check your fluids (steering, trans, brake) just to make sure if the levels are okay? I recall at one time my old 4Runner would have a consistent whining/whirring noise, and I found out later that it was from having low power steering fluid (of all things).
Old 08-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

So it's on only when you press the gas, but doesn't change speed?

So if this noise is only on when you depress the gas, but doesn't change with the engine speed, then that's really odd. Doesn't sound like either transmission or engine.

Things to think about:

a) A/C compressor---often they have magnetically operated clutch so that they do not burden the engine as much both at idle and when you're flooring it (and presumably want max power to wheels). Try turning off the A/C completely.

b) some kind of turbulence in the air intake? Your engine will be sucking in more air when you press the "gas" pedal (which is really an *air* pedal except in Diesel engines)

The engine + transmission does move a little bit when it is in stess, i.e. pushing the car forward, so some parts may slightly change alignment.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:18 AM
Instructor

I had a noise that sounds like what you guys are talking about, I only had it when I punched it from a stop or less than about 20mph. It progressivly got worse over time.

Turned out I had a loose screw on the stock airfilter cover, once it was tightend it noise completely vanished.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear

Hi all-
Being a former Porsche owner as well, I am a believer in regular and preventative maintenance. I was a Honda tech in mid to late 80’s so I am familiar with Honda’s usual and expected reliability. That said and despite the wonderful nimble and zippy feel of this 28K upscale car this will probably be my last Acura.

My 04 MT6 (used for commuting purposes only and totally stock-save an Avincar speaker system) has also developed a Geary noise under power and just off the gas as well. Rolling at speed with clutch in there is no noise at all. I had to keep the radio on to avoid the droning torture as my analytical mind began to attack my decision to purchase this car and to plan my escape. The sound is similar to gassing it in reverse though much more subtle and lower in frequency HZ.
In addition to the preventative services, I had the dealer change the MT fluid at my cost. Nevertheless, noise grew worse these last few months so much, so that my non-tech wife asked if the car always made that sound.
I scheduled a regular visit and mentioned this along with the engine ticking (valve/injector) noise I have also now noticed as a sat in a drive through and the engine sound bounced off the establishment wall and into my ears. Sounds too load to be just the injectors.
With that at idle with or without AC I feel the all too common engine vibration in the steering wheel. This I am 100% sure did not exist a few months ago.

Let’s see the clutch clicks and the rear seems to hop and rattle a bit more around rough bends and wind noise is killer at highway speeds.

Definitely last my Acura.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear

Hi all-
Being a former Porsche owner as well, I am a believer in regular and preventative maintenance. I was a Honda tech in mid to late 80’s so I am familiar with Honda’s usual and expected reliability. That said and despite the wonderful nimble and zippy feel of this 28K upscale car this will probably be my last Acura.

My 04 MT6 (used for commuting purposes only and totally stock-save an Avincar speaker system) has also developed a Geary noise under power and just off the gas as well. Rolling at speed with clutch in there is no noise at all. I had to keep the radio on to avoid the droning torture as my analytical mind began to attack my decision to purchase this car and to plan my escape. The sound is similar to gassing it in reverse though much more subtle and lower in frequency HZ.
In addition to the preventative services, I had the dealer change the MT fluid at my cost. Nevertheless, noise grew worse these last few months so much, so that my non-tech wife asked if the car always made that sound.
I scheduled a regular visit and mentioned this along with the engine ticking (valve/injector) noise I have also now noticed as a sat in a drive through and the engine sound bounced off the establishment wall and into my ears. Sounds too loud to be just the injectors.
Also at idle (with or without the AC) I feel the all too common engine vibration in the steering wheel and seat. This I am 100% sure did not exist a few months ago.

Let’s see the driver seat moves and clicks in the tracks the clutch clicks on every shift and the rear seems to hop and rattle a bit more around rough bends and wind noise is killer at highway speeds.

Finally the dealer has agree the whirring is a front driver axle and will replace under my war. The noisy engine and driver seat issue was brushed off as they all do that! They also said the engine ticking sound is just the injectors! Funny the 07 loaner did not it purred like a kitten!
The answer of they all do that is not to comforting to me. I have ask is that a good answer for you?

Yep definitely my last Acura.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by wayofthemaster
Hi all-

I scheduled a regular visit and mentioned this along with the engine ticking (valve/injector) noise I have also now noticed as a sat in a drive through and the engine sound bounced off the establishment wall and into my ears. Sounds too load to be just the injectors.
With that at idle with or without AC I feel the all too common engine vibration in the steering wheel. This I am 100% sure did not exist a few months ago.

Let’s see the clutch clicks and the rear seems to hop and rattle a bit more around rough bends and wind noise is killer at highway speeds.

Definitely last my Acura.
If the noise goes away when you clutch in, it's not your gearbox. It's probably your input shaft bearing.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:15 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I've heard the same sound. I think it sounds pretty cool though