Warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
Just for clarification, using aftermarket rotors or pads voids your warranty? That seems kind of strange. Can someone clarify?
Warranty on what? Pads abnd rotors are considered wear parts and should not have any bearing on warranty. I had the issues mentioned in this thread and tested my dealer to see how 'customer focused' that they were (they were not). All they would have done was cut the rotors and put on new pads. I'd think the rotors would just re-warp anyway....
I had my car at the dealer for something else when the parts manager commented on the PowerSlots and (Hawk) setup. I mentioned that since they would'nt work with me on the TSB, I had no choice but to go aftermarket. I reminded him and my salesman (who was there, too) that it was me who had called asking about a 'meet me halfway' fix for my issue.....
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
Just for clarification, using aftermarket rotors or pads voids your warranty? That seems kind of strange. Can someone clarify?
I assume he was referring the need for brake work so soon and that the repairs should be covered under warranty. May be, but I didn't want Honda replacement parts anyway, so I never even mentioned it to dealer. I wanted aftermarket rotors and pads, and the OE stuff had 65K miles on it (and almost unbelievable to me, the rear pads still had like 25% and the fronts 50%; I replaced the rear ones, but I haven't decided if I'm going to bother changing the front pads), so it was a good excuse to change the parts. The rotor change cured the shudder under med-heavy braking and with the pad change, I don't anticipate having to do any brake work for some time (unless I change the front pads so they'll match the rear ones).
Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Advanced

happened to me at about 20k. cost close to 300 to fix i believe at the dealership.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM
RX8
Intermediate

warped rotor update

As you can see from my post above, new tires made the warped rotors much more obvious than they used to be. I took the car in at 40K for a few things and they did perform the TSB work: on-car machining of the rotors and new pads. I don't like making the rotors even thinner than they were originally, but given that they did all of this at no charge, I can't really complain.

It's been 1K or 2K miles since the service and the brakes are still working like new. I expect the problem will eventually come back, but I'll just get aftermarket products at that point. Hopefully that will be later rather than sooner.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RX8
As you can see from my post above, new tires made the warped rotors much more obvious than they used to be. I took the car in at 40K for a few things and they did perform the TSB work: on-car machining of the rotors and new pads. I don't like making the rotors even thinner than they were originally, but given that they did all of this at no charge, I can't really complain.

It's been 1K or 2K miles since the service and the brakes are still working like new. I expect the problem will eventually come back, but I'll just get aftermarket products at that point. Hopefully that will be later rather than sooner.
my dealership told me at 30k that i had too many miles on my car for them to perform the TSB.

i don't get it.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
my dealership told me at 30k that i had too many miles on my car for them to perform the TSB.

i don't get it.
Curious. Maybe you should contact Acura customer service and see if you can find out what the policy is. Explain that it appears to be a dealer discretion item and if so, what the criteria are. Or maybe try another dealer first.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ good idea. It would be nice if they could quantify it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had my brakes done per the TSB at 20k miles. The tech I spoke to said that the replacement pads were not the same as the originals and that the were a different compound that should not have the same problems. 6k miles on the new set so far and haven't noticed any signs of juddering.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sock
I had my brakes done per the TSB at 20k miles. The tech I spoke to said that the replacement pads were not the same as the originals and that the were a different compound that should not have the same problems. 6k miles on the new set so far and haven't noticed any signs of juddering.
When did you have this done? It would be great if Acura finally addressed the root cause.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Instructor

My rotors were warped and intially it was going to cost 90 dollars to resurface the two front ones, but when I picked up the car, the tech guy said it was on the house, and he would just appreciate a good response when Acura called about the customer satisfaction survey thing so they get their bonus.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Bone Stock

Had this problem addressed yesterday for my 04 MT. Was in for 40k maintenance.

Complained about possible warping; tech called me back and said it was not covered under warranty. Thanks to jlukja and his earlier post, downloaded the service bulletin and referred the service tech to it over the phone. He hemmed and hawed, talked to the manager, called back and said they would "goodwill" the service.

The brakes are now smooth; I try to go easy on them and use the parking brake when sitting at lights.

Not happy that I had to rely on Acurazine to get me out of paying $300+ for work that ended up being free! Not confident in that dealership (in Wash DC area). Will be going back to the other one near my home next time. Oh, and he told me the oil change interval was 5k, not 10k.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Crackura
Had this problem addressed yesterday for my 04 MT. Was in for 40k maintenance.

Complained about possible warping; tech called me back and said it was not covered under warranty. Thanks to jlukja and his earlier post, downloaded the service bulletin and referred the service tech to it over the phone. He hemmed and hawed, talked to the manager, called back and said they would "goodwill" the service.

The brakes are now smooth; I try to go easy on them and use the parking brake when sitting at lights.

Not happy that I had to rely on Acurazine to get me out of paying $300+ for work that ended up being free! Not confident in that dealership (in Wash DC area). Will be going back to the other one near my home next time. Oh, and he told me the oil change interval was 5k, not 10k.

Considering that your brakes have already been replaced with the updated pads already (still had more than 8mm remaining) and it was still "goodwilled" you should be happy. The oil change interval is 5K for oil only and 10K is oil and filter if you want to go by Hondas recommendations. Thanks for your confidence in us.... why didn't you take it to Rosenthal in the first place?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

The oil information is for severe conditions, which we go by in the D.C. area due to the traffic.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Racer

wow and fucking my dealership has been trying to get me to pay 550 to get mine changed and 130 for inspecting how gay.... im taking this TSB in tomorrow and knocking heads
Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 tsx: had my front rotors turned at 7k (before the tsb was out), had the rears turned at 9k, now at 25k i complain about brakes (couldnt tell if it was front or back).

they say its past the point it would be goodwilled. i explained that the fronts were turned at 7k miles and that it should be taken into account that the tsb came out after and i didnt get the newer style pads.

i escalated to service manager, who i have dealt with in the past, and he test drove the car, came back and said its the front brakes. i showed him the tsb, and he started typing away. i wanted to make sure i got new rotors and the updated pads. all good. hope the rears hold up, if they dont ill just get aftermarket.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Bone Stock

I was happy that the service was goodwilled. The work itself was good.

I was unhappy that, were I not a voracious reader of the TSX Acurazine forums, I'd be out $300 for the service.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear

I'm driving an 04 TSX AT and I'm trying to get the awful shaking feeling from the stock TSX rotors to finally go away by replacing with a new set of rotors and pads. Already had the rotors turned and resurfaced about 10k ago but the problem is back. I have a few questions about doing this.
1) the shaking only seems to come from the front rotors so I most likely will only replace those (does anyone else agree with this? or is the problem coming from all 4 wheels being warped. To me it just feels like the front wheels shake a lot when braking from high speeds and even at low speeds and can feel the brakes working un-smoothly as the warped rotor goes through the pads
2) This is only for daily driving so which set of rotors and pads should I get? Everyone seems to be a Hawk pad fan but as far as rotors go how much am a really looking at spending to replace these crap quality rotors with something that will last for the life of the car
3) will I have to upgrade any of the stock brake components to install these new rotors and pads?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasTSX05
I'm driving an 04 TSX AT and I'm trying to get the awful shaking feeling from the stock TSX rotors to finally go away by replacing with a new set of rotors and pads. Already had the rotors turned and resurfaced about 10k ago but the problem is back. I have a few questions about doing this.
1) the shaking only seems to come from the front rotors so I most likely will only replace those (does anyone else agree with this? or is the problem coming from all 4 wheels being warped. To me it just feels like the front wheels shake a lot when braking from high speeds and even at low speeds and can feel the brakes working un-smoothly as the warped rotor goes through the pads
2) This is only for daily driving so which set of rotors and pads should I get? Everyone seems to be a Hawk pad fan but as far as rotors go how much am a really looking at spending to replace these crap quality rotors with something that will last for the life of the car
3) will I have to upgrade any of the stock brake components to install these new rotors and pads?

I posted my reply to post in my Racingbrake thread in the sponsor section. Check it out there.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Racer

I had the shuddering at about 40k miles. My driving is very light on the brakes--virtually all highway miles. Went to the dealer and they resurfaced and replaced pads for about $200 (I didn't know about the TSB at the time). After another 5k miles the problem came back. This time the dealer replaced the pads and rotors as a "goodwill" service. I fully anticipate the problem returning, unfortunately, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make it another 40k miles. At that point I'll probably go aftermarket. Has anybody gone the aftermarket route and eventually had problems again?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
it the tsb still good since it came out in 2003
No problems with my 06 tsx with 65,000+ miles-just wondering
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jswim99
I had the shuddering at about 40k miles. My driving is very light on the brakes--virtually all highway miles. Went to the dealer and they resurfaced and replaced pads for about $200 (I didn't know about the TSB at the time). After another 5k miles the problem came back. This time the dealer replaced the pads and rotors as a "goodwill" service. I fully anticipate the problem returning, unfortunately, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make it another 40k miles. At that point I'll probably go aftermarket. Has anybody gone the aftermarket route and eventually had problems again?
It's not about being light on the brakes. It's about stopping from highway speeds on the offramp and then sitting on the brakes at the traffic lights at the end.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
It's not about being light on the brakes. It's about stopping from highway speeds on the offramp and then sitting on the brakes at the traffic lights at the end.
On a previous car I owned the rotors warped when I was driving down a long steep hill and having to make a sharp turn. I drove thru a puddle that had melting ice in it while I was making the turn. Rapid cool down of brakes is not good.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got home from the dealership...they actually replaced my rotors and pads this time. My 06 has had the rotors resurfaced 3 times and I only have 19,000 miles on it. I printed out the TSB and after they were done questioning me as to where I got the TSB, they did the service for free. They also threw in a free oil change. WOW! I FINALLY got some good service from my dealership! About darn time!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Got Ramen?

My 05 TSX has ~45k miles on it and its been having the steering wheel shake issue for awhile. Just took it to the dealership and showed them the TSB i printed out and the guy said that they'll still have to charge me $360 for the service anyway because he quotes, "TSB is just to instruct a technician how to install a part". Right.

He did say that they would consider it as goodwill if it my car was purchased last year and the shaking happened within the first 10,000 miles. I tried complaining to him that this TSB was printed last year and it clearly says 04-07 models.

Is this right? Should I try a different dealership?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Suppsedly my rotors are warped. I've noticed the shaking at higher speeds.

The dealership said if I get it in before 50K, he can replace rotors and pads for ~$100, but it will be over $400 if I go over 50K.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

Brake Issues

We have owned our TSX since October of 2005 (bought it at 10k miles) and I have noticed a vibration since purchase. We have taken it in for repair numerous times and the issue continue to come back within 7-10K miles.

Truly wish I had found this forum sooner!

Anyone have any suggestion for reasonable price after market rotors and pads? And has anyone done the DIY for this project?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Racer

Wow. this thread is interesting. I have an 06 with 43K and have had issues with the rotors for a while. Now I am finding it that is not even the problem but most likely the brakes/deposit. My father is a mechanic and last time we did the brakes and rotors for the shuttering he said the brake pads looked brand new and we had the rotors resurfaced just because of the shutter. We through new everything on and the proble is coming back ever so slowly. I will upgrade to aftermarket soon as my car will be out of warranty soon anyway.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Racer

The dealer replaced my pads and rotors about 3 weeks ago and I'm starting to feel a pulsation again!

I read on one of the other warped rotor threads (can't find it now) about somebody who installed aftermarket pads, kept the original rotors, and after a few days of braking the shuddering went away. Has anybody else conclusively proven this? I know lots of folks have theories about deposits building up from OEM pads, does anybody have hard evidence that that's what's actually happening? If it were that simple wouldn't Acura have a working fix (ie, different pads)?

I've had it with the dealership; if somebody can convince me, I'll go buy some pads and do the install myself--I just don't want to go through this trouble if the problem comes back yet again (rather have the dealership keep paying for new parts).
Old 11-26-2008, 02:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I can say that I have been 'shake free' for about 40,000 km's after installing aftermarket pads and rotors.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

I also have battled with this issue since my 10K service. I would get a pulsation while stopping, which felt like warped rotors. I am very gentle on the brakes 99% of the time, so I know that it was not caused by pushing the brakes past their limit.

Brought the issue to the attention of the dealer at every service between 10K and 40K. I was always told that the pads were fine. The dealer finally recommended turning the rotors and pads, which I paid them to do. When this did not solve the problem, I complained once again and advised that there was still noticeable pulsation. After working up the ranks at my dealer, the service manager finally agreed to replace the rotors and pads as a "good faith" measure. Once the rotors were replaced, the problem finally went away.

While I am thankful that this issue was resolved, I am concerned that it will just return right after the warranty period expires.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JETLAW
After working up the ranks at my dealer, the service manager finally agreed to replace the rotors and pads as a "good faith" measure. Once the rotors were replaced, the problem finally went away.
How long (mileage) has your problem been gone?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

Installed my aftermarket pads and rotors

I went ahead with aftermarket set up after all the research into this problem. After a decent amount of reserach I went with EBC Ultimax Slotted rotors and EBC Green Stuff Pads (bought from www.autoanything.com for $217 with tax and shipping). I've only got about 3k on them so far and I'll update as time goes by. So far the shaking is gone, the brakes feel great and stop on a dime but feel a little bit soft for anything outside of standard daily driving or some aggresive city driving. Definetly not an autocross pad. As far as the rotors go they look much better and the no rust coating keeps them that way so I don't have to look at all that orange crap in the center on the stock parts.

I kept the original rotors just in case these wear out too fast. It seems most people think its the pads causing the problem not the rotors - they just warp as a result of the pads, but I didn't care to find out the hard way and replaced both all at once.

I don't have garage so I had it done and the whole thing ran me about $160 including tax (so a grand total of about $375 parts/labor) which I gladly would pay again to have that shaking go away. ***I also had a Honda dealer do it which had cheaper labor costs than Acura, but had to argue with the service manager to get them to do service work on the TSX with aftermarket parts. I just agreed that I did not expect a warranty for the parts from the dealership and he agreed to do it after that. You will likely have to talk with the manager to get any normal dealership to do work with aftermarket parts. I'll try to post more in a few months to say how they are holding up after some more miles.

- I have 50k on the car now (my problem started at about 20k right after buying the car and never went away until now

Last edited by DallasTSX05; 01-02-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: forgot to include this
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

Do the warped rotors contribute to shaking steeling wheel on highway speed? Because the steeling wheel is shaking like crazy on highway speed 70-80mph (no problem on tire balancing). Also, vibration and shaking steeling wheel occur when braking at any speed, but no shaking on steeling wheel on city speed. Any ideas?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Drifting

^^ Sounds like the problem with the inner CV joints some people have had. The solution is to replace the axles. As with the brakes, there appears to be a high failure rate of the stock parts so after market axles are recommended. Try searching for threads about axle replacement as there are several on the matter with much more detailed information, including where to get the after market axles at a good price.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

I had a similar problem but my car has 90,000 miles on it. The rotors where not warped, but the upper ball joints were bad.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 AM
10th Gear

DOM, thats great to hear, if I may ask what kind of aftermarket brakes did you go with? I've read a lot about Brembo disc and Hawk pads?? I don't know anything about aftermarket brakes (other than I"ve heard the names before).

BTW, my interest stems from the fact that I have the same problem that many others do, vicious shaking when braking from high speeds (in combination with downhill). Since I'm normally quite gentle on my brakes, I don't feel the shudder very much the rest of the time. My car is an '06 with 53K (LOTS of highway). My dealer changed the pads at about 20K miles for me (I don't know if they surfaced the rotors), but the shaking just came right back and at my next brakejob I want to eliminate it for good (its a very insecure feeling when you're stepping on the brakes and the car starts to shake!)

thanks all!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

So I want to get some Brembo blanks from Tirerack, and use OE TSX rotors in the back; will I be able to use aftermarket pads? If so, which ones should I get?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well i have an 05 Acura TSX, and i do a lot of driving. For the past 2 months i realized that when im on the highway and im slowing down on the off ramp, the back end of the car shakes. I had a friend check it out and he thought it was the Rotors. So i went ahead and swapped out the rotors & pads. Tested it and its still doing the same thing. I cant seem to figure out what it is. Ive seen on here before that the brakes may need to be bled.

Any ideas or suggestions? This is driving me crazyy!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys after reading this thread I just wanted to make sure what my problem was.

When I accelerate starting from the lower RPM's my whole car shakes. Only the front starts to vibrate and I can hear my change jingle in the "Not an Ashtray" cup. =] Later when I get to a higher RPM or when I start to cruise at a constant speed the vibration dissapears. I had new rims and tires installed as well as my alignment. But I doubt that was the issue because I bought the new rims after feeling the same with my stock wheels.

But also, I know my brakes are warped because when I brake my car vibrates... I am not completely sure if its the same vibration but do you think the issue is of a bad axle AND warped brakes? or just the brakes themselves.

Thanks in advance.
-dpak
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Drifting

There is definitely something other than bad brake rotors going if it's shaking under acceleration. I assume you are not accelerating with your foot on the brake... right?

That said, I'd figure out the acceleration issue first (axles sound like a good bet) then see if it's still there under braking.