Warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:22 PM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboicus
Thanks for the tip. I think I might just take a look at some slotted rotors and better pads anyway. Couldn't hurt and it'll probably help prevent future warping
Whichever brand you choose for the aftermarket rotors, just make sure you give us a write-up. Although I think the braking on the TSX has plenty of room for improvement, I'm going to try lightweight wheels first.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Racer

My car still is doing the same thing with the brakes.

When it sits in my garage overnight, and then I go to back out of the driveway, the brakes squeal like they are on a 1974 pickup!! It seems that once they get warm they don't squeal as much but I am going to have them re-checked when I take it in for it's next oil change.

I have also noticed some brake fade at times. I'm not very happy with my OEM brakes on the TSX!

Just my
Old 03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just scheduled an appointment this morning to have mine looked at by the dealer. I kinda let them know that I know almost everything about the car so they don't try and pull some bs. I told them I get a shimmy when I brake so it's most likely the rotors. They agreed, so if all goes well they will fix it like good little boys and girls.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Instructor

I took mine to the dealer this morning.. After I drop off the car they call me 2 hours later trying to get 480 + tax for front rotors installed out of me. I told the guy no way and ill be there in 30 min to pick up the car.. when I got there, the guy told me "I got my manager to approve it for free" I wasn't sure what he meant, either resurfacing or new rotors. On my receipt it says resurfacing but these rotor does not look like my original

Old rotors - warped and rusted everywhere, even the edges

New rotor - no rust all around - probably precut used or something, can't tell till I measure it. Could also be new..
Old 03-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Alangon
three thousand miles ago, had my rotors replaced as part of the warranty. The card had about 17K miles. Yesterday took my 2004 tsx back for my 20K service and the steering wheel vibrates again when at high speeds.
They resurfaced the brand new rotors they placed a few months ago and said that this will be the last time they will cover this.
The comment of the svce advisor was that if I dont use the car often, the rotors will rust and hence, this problem. Somehow I dont quite buy this, as I had a Mitsu Eclilpse before I bought my TSX and I had the same driving habbits whereby I only use the car on weekends and never had a rotor warping problem.

Is there any truth with what the service advisor said? If I dont use the car, the rotors rust faster, hence this problem? I did notice that after a month of installing the suppossedly new rotors last summer, it rusted rather quickly.

Kind regards,
Alan
I call on this. The car is under warranty, period.

If the problem returns, and the dealer won't do anything about it, I'd take it over their head to Acura. Open a complaint and let them deal with it. You paid a lot of money for the car and the four year warranty is a big part of that. Don't let 'em slide.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Vegito
I took mine to the dealer this morning.. After I drop off the car they call me 2 hours later trying to get 480 + tax for front rotors installed out of me. I told the guy no way and ill be there in 30 min to pick up the car.. when I got there, the guy told me "I got my manager to approve it for free" I wasn't sure what he meant, either resurfacing or new rotors. On my receipt it says resurfacing but these rotor does not look like my original

Old rotors - warped and rusted everywhere, even the edges

New rotor - no rust all around - probably precut used or something, can't tell till I measure it. Could also be new..
Ya, those look like new discs. The corrosion between the two sides is gone. Looks brand new.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Guinea Pig

Mine went in to the shop this morning for warped rotor warranty. They told me it's covered under warranty and gave me an 06 TL as a loaner car. Haven't heard anything from them, but it's only been about an hour and fitty minutes. I kind of expect one of those calls that says, we need to change your brake pads and those aren't under warranty and it's ognna cost $xxx.xx. But I aint paying for ish today! They betta fix it for free ninety free!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:57 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I went down to orlando and that week I had to get my brakes checked out. 26,000 miles i had some braking problem and said my rotors were corroded, and this happens alot in the north east. Said the pads were completely warped becasue of the rust and corrosion on these rotors. Which lead to my trouble in breaking. Unfortunately they said its a wear and tear item and it cost 170, and took 2 hours.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Guinea Pig

Pads warping are 1 thing, rotors warping on a new car are another. I know it's my rotors and told them so they don't try and come back with some lame excuse. If they try and charge me for anything I will tell them to put it back together and give me my car back. I will do it myself for 1/3 the price.

I have never heard of pads warping.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Guinea Pig

I guess they're refinishing the rotors and giving me new pads? At least that's what they said when they called. They never mentioned a price so i'm assuming it's under warranty. I will let you know by the evening.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Guinea Pig

Ahhhh!!! Nice smooth brakes again! They refinished the rotors and replaced the brake pads under warranty. Cha ching! And gave me a TL loaner for the day.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Racer

Well...

I have been driving my car quite a bit recently and have noticed the brakes are pulsating quite a bit anytime I hit my brakes. I am quite annoyed by this and now have to get this problem addressed by the stealership when I take it in next time. Which it seems will be sooner than later!

IMO the OEM brakes I have on my TSX suck! The car only has 14K miles and none of those miles have been rough.

So we shall see what they tell me when I take it in!!!

They will probably try to sell me new brakes or something. Is there any service bulletin out for the brakes that I should know about or do they just happen to suck on my car?

Old 03-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I would go back asap.. I had 23k on mine, some guy next to me had 18k and I think they successfully had him buy new brakes... no bulletin that i know off...
Old 03-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Racer

My appointment is set up for Wednesday and hopefully they can fix this problem.

I will update when I get it back!!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:27 PM
no0bIe

Cool

Last weekend I had Marcus of Heeltoe Automotive install a set of UP Racing Brake Rotors w/ Hawk Pads up front to alleviate this problem. I absoluetly love them. A total night and day difference from the oem rotor a pads.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:05 PM
CL9 ABP

Okay I asked a dealer at rays laks acura and they said rotors do warp alot, and they need to be resurfaced, the guys at florida (orlando) told me the pads were warped due to the grim and corroded brakes.

Pretty much i feel like the situation has be mistold or made up, now.
My braking is better than before, but i still feel vibrations more and more when i think about it...
Old 03-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Racer

Ok...I will keep this brief because I'm super pissed right now!!!! I just picked my car up tonight from the dealer....1 hour drive each way....and they 'resurfaced' my brakes....just like they did 3 months ago. I told them that this was just like putting a bandaid on a broken arm, you're not fixing the problem, you're simply masking it but they told me that all they can do for me is resurface the damn rotors. They then told me that it is my fault that the brakes are warping and asked if I was 'beating' the car. I was so fu**ing pissed at this point that I asked for the number of the district service manager.

SOOOOO.....after being given the song and dance for two days I get my car back tonight and take it out for the evening. They had my complete black owners book smashed in my glove box and by doing this they broke it. In addition to breaking the glove box they some how made it that the glove box light now shines out throught the far right side vent.

I'm VERY upset at this situation and will be calling them first thing Friday morning.

Those bastards!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take a look at Jeff Palmers driving impressions of the 2006 TSX on TOV. As part of his review he talks about the TSX brakes. Here is what he says:
Originally Posted by Jeff Palmer, TOV
It's Time to Rethink the Brake Pads
One item that has escaped Acura's attention is the TSX's brakes. We're going to be brutally honest: the stock brake pads are pretty bad. The feel is okay, but they provide somewhat weak stopping power and are prone to overheating easily (particularly when slowing from freeway speeds). When they overheat, they tend to leave deposits on the rotors, which can lead to a very noticeable and irritating brake shudder. Many people misdiagnose this problem as rotor warpage, but as we proved on our own car, it's really the stock pads chubbing the rotors. It only took a few thousand miles for this problem to appear on our TSX project car, and these were very gentle miles. While the symptoms felt almost exactly like rotor warpage, we decided to swap out the stock pads for some more aggressive aftermarket pads, and the results were simply astounding. Without any rotor resurfacing, the brake shudder and wobble disappeared almost immediately, and within a few days of normal driving, all of the OEM pad deposits were wiped clean from the rotors. To this day, there has been absolutely no brake shudder and brake fade is a thing of the past. Even more impressively, the car has benefitted from a tremendous improvement in braking power. The only downside to this pad upgrade is that the new pads will squeak in very rare circumstances and they generate appreciably more brake dust than the stock pads. Otherwise they are one of the biggest "bang for the buck" modifications out there for the TSX and we highly recommend it. We installed Axxis Ultimates on our TSX, but similar results are likely with any number of other aftermarket fitments.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
CL9 ABP

So what would be the solution about this replace the pads? I'm really getting paranoid tinking my brakes are doing shit now when i stop...
Old 03-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
So what would be the solution about this replace the pads? I'm really getting paranoid tinking my brakes are doing shit now when i stop...
That's what Jeff suggested and I tend to agree with him. Try a set of more agressive aftermarket pads (not OEM pads) for a week or two and see if the "warpage" goes away.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Instructor

I was just gonna ask that too.. looks like I'll be ordering new pads.. they just gave me new rotors 2 weeks ago..
Old 04-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Racer

Well, here is the story about the brakes...

I had the car in and they were only able to 'resurface' the brakes since they were within 'specification'. The service dept. admitted that the brakes were warped but told me that no matter what you do or how you drive the car they are just not that good of OEM brake and they will re-warp again and again.

Apparaently the OEM brakes don't dissapate heat well enough and any prolonged braking will begin to warp the brakes. I was told that I could replace them with an aftermarket brake, such as a Brembo, however, that would begin to void warranties on the car. (Is this true?)

After getting the car back from 2 days in the shop, I drove the hour home from the dealer and saw that the cool service people broke the hinge on my glovebox.

After another hour in the car I had my TSX back in the shop for a day and this time they fixed the broken hinge and a loose vent that they missed.

This has been the TSX week from hell. At least my 2nd loaner car was a brand new 2006 TSX with only 350 miles!!!!!

Damn, I can't wait for my Acura customer survey!!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Pro

Why don't you do us all a favor and tell us who the Dealership is. I think the public deserves a heads-up fair warning.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Pro

BTW - Because of this and other horror stories concerning the "roll-of-the-dice" luck needed to address (not fix) the all to common "brake problem", I decided to bypass the whole mess and am in the process of replacing all four rotors, pads & brake lines. Life's too short to waste time on a problem, or at best shortcoming that has only one real solution. Swap out the shit and get a better braking car in return.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Still Water
Why don't you do us all a favor and tell us who the Dealership is. I think the public deserves a heads-up fair warning.

It's a dealer in Akron/Canton Ohio area. They are great about everything except the damn brakes.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rivvin
Does anybody know if Acura will resurface or put in new rotors under warranty? I have an '04 with less than 20,000 miles. I've also complained to them before that the wheel was shaking when I stepped on the brakes, but they said they couldn't duplicate what I was saying. I just want to know if they will fix it for free now that it's worse? Thanks in advance for your info.

-------------

Same year and mileage and they resurfaced and replaced pads under warranty.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Racer

I think that I might inquire with the Acura Client Services department today and ask about the brake situation.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Guinea Pig

If your car is under warranty take it back until they fix it the right way. Plain and simple! Don't go buy aftermarket crap until your warranty runs out. Get the stealership to fix it over and over and over for free till they get it right. You paid an a$$load of money for the car so get the most out of your dealership.

BTW-The last time I took my car in to the stealership they resurfaced my front brakes and threw on brand new pads under warranty. They were 10 times nicer this time than they ever have been. I kind of think it might have had something to do with the Acurazine sticker on both sides of the car. It let them know that i'm not your average buy the car and just drive it guy.

Let the dealership earn all that money you gave them! Get it fixed under warranty if you can.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation Front Pads and Rotors replaced at 10K service

I too had issues with the brakes in my '05, they produced grinding noises during high-speed braking (60mph to 0mph). I mentioned it to my dealer duing my 10K service and they replaced both the rotors and pads on the front. The service advisor told me that they replaced them under warranty because there have been issues with the 1st Gen brake parts on the TSX. I have not had any issues since and it brakes better than it was new off of the lot. 2dimgray
Old 04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Racer

I'm a bit heated right now as I type this.

After filing my complaint with the Acura Client Services Department I was told that they would inquire about the problem and call me back. I just got off the phone with them now and the lady told me that there was nothing they can do for me besides re-surface the pads to be within the brake specifications!!!

WTF

I see all over AcuraZine where people get treated well from client services and here on this post several people have been fortunate enough to get their brakes fixed correctly, well I'm not one of them for sure!!! I was told that all that could be done was done and that they would forward my concerns to the vehicle engineers!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA....right.....I'm sure my complaint was quickly sent to Japan for immediate consideration. I kindly explained that they did the same re-surfacing deal 3 months ago and the brakes are still pulsating. I also said that they service department told me that the OEM brakes weren't very good at all. Neither of these two points mattered to them and they kept their position to only re-surface the rotors. I protested and told them that this was like putting a bandade on a broken bone and that all they are doing is wearing away more of my brake but the woman didn't car.

NICE EXPERIENCE WITH CLIENT SERVICES!!!!!!! I thought that Acura was supposed to take care of their customers, especially those with a 9 month old car with only 14K miles!!!! The salesman I met with from Lexus last week was all to happy to get me away from the Acura brand! Maybe I should think more about that idea.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. (And I am also interested in where you guys got your AcuraZine stickers!!).

Northeast Ohio Acura dealers suck!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Racer

OH......BTW......Good luck to anyone who has to call Acura Client Services, they didn't treat me too well!!!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimstsx
I'm a bit heated right now as I type this.

After filing my complaint with the Acura Client Services Department I was told that they would inquire about the problem and call me back. I just got off the phone with them now and the lady told me that there was nothing they can do for me besides re-surface the pads to be within the brake specifications!!!

WTF

I see all over AcuraZine where people get treated well from client services and here on this post several people have been fortunate enough to get their brakes fixed correctly, well I'm not one of them for sure!!! I was told that all that could be done was done and that they would forward my concerns to the vehicle engineers!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA....right.....I'm sure my complaint was quickly sent to Japan for immediate consideration. I kindly explained that they did the same re-surfacing deal 3 months ago and the brakes are still pulsating. I also said that they service department told me that the OEM brakes weren't very good at all. Neither of these two points mattered to them and they kept their position to only re-surface the rotors. I protested and told them that this was like putting a bandade on a broken bone and that all they are doing is wearing away more of my brake but the woman didn't car.

NICE EXPERIENCE WITH CLIENT SERVICES!!!!!!! I thought that Acura was supposed to take care of their customers, especially those with a 9 month old car with only 14K miles!!!! The salesman I met with from Lexus last week was all to happy to get me away from the Acura brand! Maybe I should think more about that idea.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. (And I am also interested in where you guys got your AcuraZine stickers!!).

Northeast Ohio Acura dealers suck!!!!!!!
jimstsx,
What were you asking them to do? Did you want new OEM rotors and they refused, or just to resurface your rotors again? Acura won't give you aftermarket parts so the best that they can offer is to replace your rotors and pads with new OEM stuff.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlukja
jimstsx,
What were you asking them to do? Did you want new OEM rotors and they refused, or just to resurface your rotors again? Acura won't give you aftermarket parts so the best that they can offer is to replace your rotors and pads with new OEM stuff.

I just wanted a new set of brakes on the car. I know that they won't give any aftermarket or anything like that. All I was hoping for was a bit more than the same "We resurfaced your brakes and now they are fine" speech from the service person.

I would take a fresh set of OEM brakes in a second because my service representative told me that my brakes are just going to warp again.

When I asked the service dept. to find a better fix for the problem they told me they did all they could do and then the Client Service Number didn't do anything for me either!!!!

I'm open to suggestions as to how I can get my dealer to give me new OEM brakes!!!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Advanced

I've had the brake shudder for thousands of miles (I'm at ~39,000 miles right now). I never tried to have the dealer fix this issue because (1) I assumed brakes weren't covered under warranty and (2) I've taken my car in for enough other issues that I'm just sick of going to the dealer.

Now I see that some people have had luck getting their brakes resurfaced under warranty. I see that this isn't a permanent fix, but it's better than nothing. Any idea when the warranty coverage on this issue runs out? I couldn't find mention of it in my manual....

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davestar
I've had the brake shudder for thousands of miles (I'm at ~39,000 miles right now). I never tried to have the dealer fix this issue because (1) I assumed brakes weren't covered under warranty and (2) I've taken my car in for enough other issues that I'm just sick of going to the dealer.

Now I see that some people have had luck getting their brakes resurfaced under warranty. I see that this isn't a permanent fix, but it's better than nothing. Any idea when the warranty coverage on this issue runs out? I couldn't find mention of it in my manual....

Thanks.
Brakes are considered wear items so they aren't covered by the warranty. That being said, it most likely depends on the dealer. A TSX that is pretty new or low mileage might get the free resurface as a good will gesture. I doubt that a dealer would do that for free at 39,000mi though. But, it never hurts to ask.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, read this article from Stoptech that pretty much debunks the idea that the metal of the rotors acutally "warps" http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Basically, it says that the reason for the "warping" is because the times you have to brake a bit harder then normal, the combination of the heat build up and the pads fully toucing the rotor surface when completey stoped, transfers some pad materal to the rotor surface.

So, if your a heavy foot braker and keep it pushed down until you come to a complete stop, you may want to change your habits.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Racer

Good article and great addition to the thread!

I was told by the service department that I should hit the brakes and let them dissapate the heat by letting off of the brake for a few seconds. Does this sound correct to anyone or was I given more junk from the service department?

It seemed like they were suggesting to almost 'pump' the brakes!?

I just need to get a nice set of Brembos or something!

Old 04-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimstsx
Good article and great addition to the thread!

I was told by the service department that I should hit the brakes and let them dissapate the heat by letting off of the brake for a few seconds. Does this sound correct to anyone or was I given more junk from the service department?

It seemed like they were suggesting to almost 'pump' the brakes!?

I just need to get a nice set of Brembos or something!

Well, when I need to brake in a hurry, I brake hard right until I'm just about to stop and then I let up on on the brake, decreasing pressure until I stop. I do this really just out of habbit because I dont like it when the car lurches back after the stop.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joerockt
Well, when I need to brake in a hurry, I brake hard right until I'm just about to stop and then I let up on on the brake, decreasing pressure until I stop. I do this really just out of habbit because I dont like it when the car lurches back after the stop.
That is exactly what I do.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Racer

And I'm guessing by doing this you are also extending the life of your brakes. I guess that my driving and the OEM brakes having problems both compounded to me having problems but I really think the car could use bigger brakes.

While I was driving the new IS I noted how excellent the brakes were!!! The front brakes looked very sufficient and the car was able to stop on a dime!

Thanks for the suggestion with the driving!

Quick Reply: Warped rotors