Noise coming from door seals & other various sounds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:24 PM
F.I.L.A.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise coming from door seals & other various sounds...

Lately (over the last couple of weeks) I've been noticing that it seems that the seals around my doors aren't performing very well. I'm not getting any whistling sounds like air is leaking in, but instead I get a "sticky" (tough to describe the sound) noise as it sounds like the doors are going from being completely sealed to slightly unsealed. I can only hear this sound with the radio off or at low volume levels. It's pretty annoying as I frequently have my radio turned down or off if I'm talking on the phone or driving in an area where I don't think everyone wants to hear the rumble from my trunk. It happens quite frequently going over large bumps or small bumps, and whether I'm making a slight or sharp turn. I only notice it at speeds below 35ish or so, but that may be because I hardly spend much time between 35 and 55 and at speeds above 55, road/wind noise probably drowns out the noise coming from the doors.

Does anyone else experience these sounds that seem to be caused by the door seals? I feel like the sound is strongest at the driver's door, but that's probably due to the proximity to my ear.

Is this likely an issue that the dealer can repair or simply a defect that I will have to deal with?

The other various noises I've heard since owning the car (about 2 months) is a creaking sound as I let the clutch slip in 1st & 2nd. The sound is most pronounced starting from a stop into 1st as that's when the most slippage occurs, but it is also noticeable in the 1st to 2nd shift. It's also somewhat noticeable over bumps and other road conditions that make the car shift around a decent bit. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the rear deck/trunk area, which is what people describe when referring to this issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23667 . It also doesn't sound like this clutch related issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30001 . Perhaps it's this issue : https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23957 ?

I'm at a loss as for what the likely problem is, but I want to be armed with some information when I take this issue to the dealer. The sound is much louder at sometimes than others, so I worry that I may not be able to reproduce the sound for the dealer. The frequency and volume of the sound has decreased as the weather has turned warmer. FYI, the sound was there before I switched over the the GM MTF.

Thanks for the input.

BTW, the car has approx. 21K miles.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a creak type sound that seems to come from the door seals. Could be the same noise and no I don't have a fix for it. There was some talk on this board about using a silicone spray on the seals, just wipe them down, but that didn't work for me. You might want to give it a shot though. If it doesn't work, but you get it fixed some other way, post back in this thread, I'd like to get rid of the sound too.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Spy
Advanced

I noticed the door sound earlier this week also. I'm pretty disappointed beacause my car is about 2 months old and had less than 5,000 miles on it.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Spoon
I have a creak type sound that seems to come from the door seals. Could be the same noise and no I don't have a fix for it. There was some talk on this board about using a silicone spray on the seals, just wipe them down, but that didn't work for me. You might want to give it a shot though. If it doesn't work, but you get it fixed some other way, post back in this thread, I'd like to get rid of the sound too.
The door seal problem can be fixed with silicon like you said. It's not really a problem as much as the nature of the seals. Mine used to do it when the car was new, and only under certain climatic conditions, when it was warm and humid.

To the OP, if you lube the door seals, do the sun roof while your at it.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by mr.actionjackson
The other various noises I've heard since owning the car (about 2 months) is a creaking sound as I let the clutch slip in 1st & 2nd. The sound is most pronounced starting from a stop into 1st as that's when the most slippage occurs, but it is also noticeable in the 1st to 2nd shift. It's also somewhat noticeable over bumps and other road conditions that make the car shift around a decent bit. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the rear deck/trunk area, which is what people describe when referring to this issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23667 . It also doesn't sound like this clutch related issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30001 . Perhaps it's this issue : https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23957 ?

I'm at a loss as for what the likely problem is, but I want to be armed with some information when I take this issue to the dealer. The sound is much louder at sometimes than others, so I worry that I may not be able to reproduce the sound for the dealer. The frequency and volume of the sound has decreased as the weather has turned warmer. FYI, the sound was there before I switched over the the GM MTF.

Thanks for the input.

BTW, the car has approx. 21K miles.
It looks like you're on the right track with the clutch problem. Mine does it too sometimes after 2.5 years. It's annoying, but the clutch operates perfectly otherwise. The next step is to take it into the dealer armed with the info you found in those threads.

I think the fixes for it range from lubing the clutch pedal assembly to outright replacement of the clutch master cylinder. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
F.I.L.A.

Originally Posted by waTSX
The door seal problem can be fixed with silicon like you said. It's not really a problem as much as the nature of the seals. Mine used to do it when the car was new, and only under certain climatic conditions, when it was warm and humid.

To the OP, if you lube the door seals, do the sun roof while your at it.
I'll try out the silicone spray and post my results.
Also...coincidentally, it has been warm and humid recently.