Noise with the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise with the brakes

I have an 06 tsx running around 33,000miles. I recently replaced my rear break pads 3 weeks ago and I am still hearing a consistent good amount of noise whenever I press on the brakes and often times when I'm not pressing the brakes. It sounds like metal grinding or the noise that brakes makes when the break pads are gone. The brake pads front is at 4mm and rear is at 5mm. I was just wondering if any of you know if this is normal or what the possible problem could be. Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 05:26 PM
04 abp tsx

i have an 04 and i got my front brakes done at tire kingdom( this was b4 i knew thats the worst place to bring ur car in the world.) but newaz i had them replaced there but there was still that same grinding that u are experiencing. took it to acura and said that alot of aftermarket pads dont work b/c of the TSXs brake assembly. they told me its a "floating brake assembly" or something like tht so i had them resurface the rotors and replace the pads.... again.... and problem was solved. but if acura replaced them then i dnt really know what to tell you besides bring it back and tell them to fix it.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
You don't state what replacement pads you used, but it could be that you didn't set the new pads in properly. Or maybe you didn't install the new pads properly. I'm interested to hear from others on this; there's not too much that can go wrong here.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
04 abp tsx

id what brand pads tire kingdom used. i could very well be that they just suck but i checked it out after they wer done and everything seemed to be in right. i replaced my back pads myself. used ceramic pads i got from autozone. cant remember what brand but they worked perfectly. but the acura service guy said ther are some aftermarket pads wont work right.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the grinding noise until I replaced by rear brake pads this weekend (easy to do, thanks to whomever suggested to use a cube-like tool to retract the pistons). I can't remember the brand of the pads, but it seems to be working well, it was on sale at Advanced Auto. I plan on replacing the front pads this weekend and probably use the same brand of pads.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 AM
7th Gear

I have a '05 TSX AT with about 66k miles and I have been having a similiar grinding noise, almost like a metallic bubbling/gurgling noise when braking (I'm horrible at describing noises apparently). Anyways, back at about 36k miles my friend, who races BMWs outside of work, helped me replace the front and rear pads and rotors after having the dreaded warped rotor problem. We used solid Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. That fixed the vibration problem and I thought all was well. A couple months go by and I notice a little bit of noise when braking as well as a squeaking noise when making left hand turns so I took it to the dealer. There was a small rock in between the rotors and pads and when that was removed the squeaking noise stopped, but the grinding/gurgling sound remained. The dealer said the same thing about the aftermarket pads possibly being the cause. The reason I'm posting now is that the noise has gotten louder and more frequent lately.

Has anyone else heard the explanation that janob and I got? Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I should be looking at?

My friend and I just flushed out the brake fluid, but that didn't help. He checked the pads and rotors and said everything looked OK. I also bought some new tires from Mr. Tires and they have about 7k miles on them now. I just had them rotated (and possibly balanced) at Mr. Tire for free as part of the deal you get when you buy from them, but the noise still is still there. I can't remember when the noise started getting worse but it was probably close to when I got the new tires, and was wondering if that could possibly have something to do with it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wazlo21
I have a '05 TSX AT with about 66k miles and I have been having a similiar grinding noise, almost like a metallic bubbling/gurgling noise when braking (I'm horrible at describing noises apparently). Anyways, back at about 36k miles my friend, who races BMWs outside of work, helped me replace the front and rear pads and rotors after having the dreaded warped rotor problem. We used solid Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. That fixed the vibration problem and I thought all was well. A couple months go by and I notice a little bit of noise when braking as well as a squeaking noise when making left hand turns so I took it to the dealer. There was a small rock in between the rotors and pads and when that was removed the squeaking noise stopped, but the grinding/gurgling sound remained. The dealer said the same thing about the aftermarket pads possibly being the cause. The reason I'm posting now is that the noise has gotten louder and more frequent lately.

Has anyone else heard the explanation that janob and I got? Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I should be looking at?

My friend and I just flushed out the brake fluid, but that didn't help. He checked the pads and rotors and said everything looked OK. I also bought some new tires from Mr. Tires and they have about 7k miles on them now. I just had them rotated (and possibly balanced) at Mr. Tire for free as part of the deal you get when you buy from them, but the noise still is still there. I can't remember when the noise started getting worse but it was probably close to when I got the new tires, and was wondering if that could possibly have something to do with it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
did you ever figure out what the gurgling sound was with your brakes?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM
resident asshole

Originally Posted by wazlo21
I have a '05 TSX AT with about 66k miles and I have been having a similiar grinding noise, almost like a metallic bubbling/gurgling noise when braking (I'm horrible at describing noises apparently).

I know the sound you are describing since my friend also had the same problem. He got his rotor and pad replaced and that fixed it. Maybe something needs to be tightened? Uninstall and reinstall the components and maybe clean them while you are at it... I hate brake noises.

I replaced my rotors and pads and now my car now makes an annoying scraping/squeal when brakes are not applied and I kinda would rather have the brake vibration than this annoying noise.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

Experience with brakes and rotors

Just a little suggestion if you haven't already tried.
  • For the squealing brake pads. Did you remember to put braking grease on the areas between the pads and the master cylinders? For example the shims, usually those little metal plates, which are sadly necessary, can be the source of the resonation. It could possibly help with the gurgling/scraping noise.
  • Also, the materials that are used for the brakes can affect the type of scraping noise you get too. Harder brake composite materials can be the case.
  • The vibration that you get when you brake could be the results of to many dead stops and then resting on brakes. Once they get heated and you stay on the brake at stop the rest of the rotor cools quicker and then warps it.
Just some suggestions from my experiences working on cars (in general), some times it's the small stuff that gets overlooked. Hope this helps.

And remember
"If your wife or girlfriend don't find you handsome, at least they will find you handy"
-Red Green-