Loads of errors displaying and battery isn't charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loads of errors displaying and battery isn't charging

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your help on this.
I have a 2008 Acura TSX, yesterday the Check ABS, Check VSA, Check Emission System, Check Charging System and Check Brakes errors all came on at the same time.

This led me to think it was an electrical problem, and indeed, the battery isn't charging. Bench tested the battery and the alternator, both tested ok. When the car is running, the battery won't read more than 12 volts with a volt meter.

Could this be a bad wiring harness somewhere that all those systems meet?

Autozone pulled the error codes when the car wasn't running (Check Charging System don't show when not running)
Error codes were: P0141 - Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2, P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor, P0443 - Evaporative Emission System

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
2nd Gear

Update: I figured out the problem.
Looks like the fuse for my alternator had blown. The fuse is located in the cabin fuse box labeled ACG.

I had an Acura mechanic tell me that it's normal for all of those errors to come on when there is a problem with the alternator or battery. The computer actually turns off the non-essential systems to conserve power so the car can start and run normally for as long as possible.

After replacing the fuse, all the errors disappeared except for Check Emission System. After clearing that error with a code reader, it didn't come back. I think you can clear the codes by removing the positive connection on the battery for a few seconds too.

I hope that seeing this helps someone else in the future.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CuddleClutch
Update: I figured out the problem.
Looks like the fuse for my alternator had blown. The fuse is located in the cabin fuse box labeled ACG.

I had an Acura mechanic tell me that it's normal for all of those errors to come on when there is a problem with the alternator or battery. The computer actually turns off the non-essential systems to conserve power so the car can start and run normally for as long as possible.

After replacing the fuse, all the errors disappeared except for Check Emission System. After clearing that error with a code reader, it didn't come back. I think you can clear the codes by removing the positive connection on the battery for a few seconds too.

I hope that seeing this helps someone else in the future.
The alternator in a TSX has a fuse?? The alternator needs a fuse to run? I have never heard of this before.

Is this something that new cars need? I have had acuras and hondas from the 80s and 90s and in those cars, the alternator did not depend on a fuse to run properly.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM
6th Gear

did your fuse look abviously blown? because i am having the same exact problem, but the acg fuse looks perfectly alright.