View Poll Results: Does your TSX have rattles?
YES
69.73%
NO
30.27%
Voters: 598. You may not vote on this poll

Let's finally have a RATTLES poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:22 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to welcome you to the club. I now have 6800 on mine, and have just noticed a hard click in the dash behind the wheel every time I go over a dot or bump in the road - very noticeable between 50 and 75.
I truly like driving this car, but the rattles are upsetting. It goes to a reputable dealer tomorrow for an evaluation. (Don't go to the Sunnyvale, California dealer - ever)
Old 11-14-2003, 07:44 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have the infamous windshield rattle. it is getting VERY bad with the cold weather. i am going ot have it checked out on my next oil change.

it may not be the windshield, but maybe something in the dash area. at first it sounds like the windshield, but arent there members here who have had their windshields replaced only to still have the annoying "clicking" sound persist?
Old 11-14-2003, 10:32 AM
9th Gear

Mine is definately in the dash - the windshield seems fine.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

I called my dealer to set up a service appointment for the rattle. I asked the service guy if they had a fix for the rattles.

"what do you mean a fix. I've never heard of anyone having this problem before"...
Old 11-14-2003, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys. From what I've read it seems a lot of the rattle complaints are regarding the doors. I read on another forum where a guy had removed the side airbags in his TSX and his rattles where gone.

I'm not suggesting removing the side airbags. But, if the side airbag components are rattling or causing rattles in the doors then it should be fairly easy for Acura to devise a solution. Maybe using more padding or insulation around the airbag components. The airbag housing might be the culprit here.

fwiw

btw - one of my favorite cars I've owned was a '96 G20.....tight as a drum, not one rattle!!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Instructor

About 2 weeks ago, I started getting a "creaking" sounds from somewhere in the top between the windshield and the sunroof. Can't pinpoint where it is exactly coming from, but it sounds somewhere in the overhead light console or rear view mirror.

Anyone with the same problem that has been diagnosed and corrected by the dealer? Please let me know what exactly is the problem.

So far, no rattles from the doors yet! This is aggravating for an brand new car.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Add me to the list. 3k and the right side windshield rattle has started. More noticeable in cold weather. And the driver's seat got loose.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:09 AM
5th Gear

Mine isn't even 2 weeks old yet, so it's a NO. Hopefully, that won't change.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the TSX for 300 mi, and I get a rattle from the passenger side front door if the bass is too high from the speaker
Old 11-26-2003, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear

Rattles...

We only have 3000 miles on our, but there are no rattles... None.

Radio on, radio off, radio screaming... Nothing.

Twenty mph? Nope. Ninety mph? Nope.

And I'm super picky about these things. When the wife and I are in my Toyota truck, I'm always asking her to push on that part of the dash or adjust her seat or something to try and identify the source of some rattle.

These exercises are unnecessary in the TSX.

-Jason
(Rattle Free)
Old 11-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Good to know Jason! You are one lucky dude. By the way, where are you located? Just wondering if you are in Canada because it seems that the problem is likely to appear when the weather turns cold.

Majority here seems to report some kind of squeek or rattles.
My TSX is not exempted either from the plaque.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear

I'm in Chicago... We've been down in the 20's at night. Hasn't seemed to change things...

But it hasn't gotten REALLY cold here yet, so I'll have to reserve judgement...

-Jason
Old 11-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Instructor

OK. Good luck Jason and hope your car stays tight and noise-free. We are expecting temperatures down to -10 Celsius this coming Sunday here in Vancouver. Brrrrr!
Old 11-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Metal_Driver

Like Jason, I also have no rattles. I'm from Ottawa and we have had some cool weather lately but still haven't noticed anything. Sounds like I have been lucky so far.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Motorrad Pilot

GAAAAAGH!!!

I have the windshield rattle. Passenger side, lower corner. When the car chassis flexes over certain bumps, it lets out a series of crackles/rattles.

I thought it might be the A-Pillar because while trying to figure out where it was coming from I pushed on all the area of the pillar. It made a similiar sound so I stuffed some felt between it and the contact point on the windshield. BUT, that was not the culprit as it still rattles away like always.

I just took it to Illinois and back from MD this weekend and the rattle nearly drove me over the edge of sanity. I'm taking it to the dealership so THEY can scratch their heads about it awhile.

That's the only rattle I have.

...on a side-note, my wife's '02 CRV EX is totally silent. After 23,000 miles it's still perfect. sheesh.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:26 AM
3rd Gear

Door still rattles (after 3 attempts to fix and 29 days in the shop!)

So here's the story... after about 2K mi., I noticed a buzzing or rattling noise from my passenger-side door. No stereo on. It happened primarily on freeways and bumpy roads. Also, when large trucks drove by me. Then I began to hear the same noise from the driver's side.

After around 3K mi., I took a 2 1/2 hour business trip on the freeway, and the buzzing noise got worse and lasted for almost 1 hr during the drive. It's probably the door lock/silver trim piece buzz due to some piece being excited at it's natural frequency. This sound is like the plucking of a tight rubber band.

So I take the car into the Acura dealer (car is < 3 months old) on Nov. 3. To make a LONG story lightly shorter, I go back 3 TIMES over a period of 29 days... each time, they say they've fixed it and can't hear any buzzing/rattles anymore, but when I take the car for a test drive (same 11 mi. loop we do everytime), it makes the same buzzing/rattling noise from the door (especially going over the bot dots on the freeway). It makes the car sound like a real POS.

Well, I'm definitely going to call the Service Manager and my Salesman up tomorrow.

Oh, and they put 290 miles and over 30 test drives with my car trying to fix the rattles. They say they tried EVERYTHING... adding insulation, foam, etc. They even worked on the door panel (removed) while driving on the freeway.

At least I had a TSX loaner while my car was in the shop for almost 1 month!

It seems like this problem will not be fixed soon (nor by the dealer).

I'm pretty disappointed in Acura (lack-of) quality.

So now what do I do? Ask for a new car? ...or my money back?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Racer

Sorry to hear that Torrance, but welcome to the club.

Have you tried the window "tap-down" method? (tap the window down just a tiny fraction of an inch). That usually quiets the doorlock buzzing, but it also can create a new noise caused by the window glass shifting slightly in the door frame.

Actually, I rarely notice my door buzzing any more. The tap-down method reduced it significantly, and maybe things just settled into place after 6000 miles
Old 12-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Glovebox rattle fixed!

The dealer fixed the rattle in the glovebox area by tightening the "strikeplate." And just when I get the rattle fixed, the car gets into an accident.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:29 AM
9th Gear

Kystone - sorry to hear about your accident. I have to ask however - how did it hold up? Yours is the firs TSX I've heard of with more than a door ding or dented bumper.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Driver Side Door. If you don't hear any rattles, turn your radio down and listen.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

No, I had TSX for 38days now and No Rattles. It is just working fine and excellent.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Hello all. I am new to this list, but have been reading many posts over the past month or so. The rattles have me questioning my purchase prior to taking delivery. I thought I read of somebody who actually found a fix for the problem by pressing on some clips around the windshield/windscreen. Would anybody know how I can find that thread, and is that gentleman's advice helpful? I appreciate your help.
-A Keaton
Dallas, TX
Old 12-30-2003, 11:42 AM
A-TSX Member

Originally posted by AKeaton
Hello all. I am new to this list, but have been reading many posts over the past month or so. The rattles have me questioning my purchase prior to taking delivery. I thought I read of somebody who actually found a fix for the problem by pressing on some clips around the windshield/windscreen. Would anybody know how I can find that thread, and is that gentleman's advice helpful? I appreciate your help.
-A Keaton
Dallas, TX
Welcome to the community AKeaton. You can search for previous posts via clicking on blue "Search" button on top. Would this be the thread you are referring to?

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4911

Personally I have not tried that method. Maybe someone else can chime in on their experience. I too have the Windshield rattle but it comes and goes and it's not bugging me too much. So far the car is a joy to drive.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:12 AM
Cruisin'

Whatchamacallit,

Thanks for the link. If the overall experience of the car is great that's what I want to know. I'd hate for this "rattle" to be so annoying that it actually cheapens the overall TSX experience to the point that I would be better of with some of my creaky British cars
Old 12-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, mine is about 2 weeks old and going on 350 mi. The first 300 were quiet but now I'm starting to notice a creak somewhere in the dashboard just below the steering wheel. It creaks when I go over a bump, like the body flexes a little and some plastic piece rubs or flexes also. It sounds almost like stepping on a soft spot on an old hard wood floor. Not enough to drive you crazy but just noticed it. Its the only thing "wrong" with the car so far. Still love it.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Racer

yes
Old 12-31-2003, 03:34 PM
10th Gear

Well, unfortunately I must now join the two-thirds that have rattles! I voted No earlier but 2 days ago at 7200 km, I got the dreaded rattle that appears to come from the passenger side door with no radio and over even the slightest bump. Very distacting and very annoying! It seriuosly interferes with my enjoyment of driving the car. I love West of Toronto and I have driven in colder weather than the last few days with no rattles.

The funny thing is that when I got my buddy to drive the car and I sat in the passenger seat to try and locate the rattle, he would say it was coming from the passenger door, but for me it located in the centre console or glovebox area. The same rattle sound with 2 different locations depending on where you sitting. Strange? Is this an acoustic phenomenon, I wonder.

We have lots of complaints but I have read thru this thread carefully and see no solutions so far other that replacing the door speaker.

HELP, please!
Old 12-31-2003, 04:37 PM
More On

It's clear that a number of the "no" votes have become "yes." I even thought my car was showing a rattle a couple of weeks ago -- was kind of exciting actually, like you're not a real a-tsx.com member unless you have rattles but turns out it was just the sun visor bouncing around.

About the sound seeming to come from different places according to where you're sitting: Gotta be "an acoustic phenomenon," yes. Sort of the same thing happened to me about that "beating" noise that you get when one of the back windows is open. At first I could've sworn it was something in the right rear wheel area, but actually it's just reverberation of the air flow.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Yep, rattles in both driver and passenger door when volume is turned up around 20+, usually only on songs with deep resonating bass (I know, go figure). But I'm not talking rap music. It happens even listening to jazz where you have an right bass playing some low notes. Kind of annoying. Car has around 1700 miles on it now.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I was one of the original No votes (before 2k miles), boy was I wrong. But some good news.
My dash started rattling right before 2k miles and before 4k (Mid November), it all sort of stopped.
A couple days ago, the temperature was around 0 degrees (coldest I've driven the car so far) and while driving to work, there were no rattles up front. But every once in a while I'll hear some very faint rattling up front and the next day they're gone again (this was all at under 40 degrees and lately, under 20 degrees)
I didn't want to post anything before cause I thought they'd come back again, but seems pretty quiet up front since.
Now I just have to figure out the rear ticking noise (have a few leads as to where it is thanks to everyone here)
Acura-TSX.com
Old 01-08-2004, 01:29 AM
Racer

just picked up my TSX today. and no ratteling so far.. hope it will stay that way
Old 01-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by jlukja
Ok, mine is about 2 weeks old and going on 350 mi. The first 300 were quiet but now I'm starting to notice a creak somewhere in the dashboard just below the steering wheel. It creaks when I go over a bump, like the body flexes a little and some plastic piece rubs or flexes also. It sounds almost like stepping on a soft spot on an old hard wood floor. Not enough to drive you crazy but just noticed it. Its the only thing "wrong" with the car so far. Still love it.
Well the odo just rolled over 600 mi and I'm happy to report that the above mentioned creaking is gone. Now the car is quiet and feels rock solid. It would be interesting to see if the more recent vin numbers rattle as much as the older ones.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:50 PM
More On

Originally posted by jlukja
.....It would be interesting to see if the more recent vin numbers rattle as much as the older ones.
Yeah, but I don't think it's exactly just like that -- maybe more like batches of rattles and batches of no rattles. (Although some people insist that all TSX's have rattles whether we know it or not.) My TSX is one of the earlier ones (#2754) -- and no rattles.

I don't recall having noticed any "rattlers" that were the same car as mine -- 5AT Carbon Gray/Ebony w Nav. I asked about this on another thread, but nobody was interested in pursuing it, i.e. the question of whether certain color/transmission/Nav combinations (and maybe from certain build periods) tended to either have or not have rattles.

So, maybe let's try again. Any cars like mine -- 5AT Carbon Gray/Ebony w Nav -- that DO have rattles? If so, can you give us the VIN number? As I said, I haven't noticed ANY cars like this that do have rattles, although I admit I haven't looked thoroughly.

(edit) Just noticed that Whatchamacallit (above) has the same car, and has rattles, but it's a much later VIN.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:25 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by larchmont
Any cars like mine -- 5AT Carbon Gray/Ebony w Nav -- that DO have rattles?
I'm sure I could find some if I tried hard enough, as many around here seems to think that if you don't claim a rattle then you are somehow in denial; "Oh, you have them all right, you just don't know it."

What a crock...

(I have the same impeccable (5AT Carbon Gray/Ebony w Nav) taste as you larch and I'm happy to report that the only rattles I've experienced are those that I still cannot hear.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 01-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Instructor

The ratlles come and go. Not a big problem. It's the brakes that are aggravating me these days.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:23 AM
ABP TSX

3500+ miles on the clock and still no real rattles . . . . keeping my fingers crossed . . . .
Old 01-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

New owner here. Yes... there is a buzzing/rattle that sounds like it is coming from the drivers door window and passenger side window. It is more noticeable some days than others. Sometimes it is clearly driven /caused by the music playing on the cd/radio.

What can the dealership do to stop it? I have yet to go in for so much as an oil change.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:30 PM
4th Gear

Angry Rattle frustration

I'm in love with everything about this car (now at 3500 miles) but my rattles are so annoying and so unpredictable that I'm considering selling this car and looking at either a Passat, Lexus IS, or Infiniti (something that doesn't rattle).

My rattles are from the dash, the sunroof, and around the molding by the door lock pulls. I took into the dealer and for some reason that day I couldn't get the bleeping rattles to show up. It was a rainy day in Seattle. I swear on dry days that they are there. Something to do with moisture? It seems like a petty thing but when you by a new car you expect it to be near perfect. These noises are driving me insane!

The car also has loud road noise and less than desirable sound system. I wish I could take the engine and the nav and put in a different car.

Acura came close to a great car but no cigar.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

God................I can only hope that the dealers are feeding all of these rattle troubles back to the assembly plant big wigs so they can make some changes on the production line. Small problems like these are what gives the Acura name a black eye. As the owner of an 02 RSX i was thinking of getting a TSX pretty soon but dammmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn....now i don't know. Help me out will ya!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:46 PM
4th Gear

With 650 miles, I have a dash board rattle. Actually it sounds more like a popping sound from two vinyl surfaces rubbing against each other. Very annoying. The temperature has been rather cold lately - 1 - 30 degrees. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Let me know if you had this problem and what the fix was. I want to avoid several trips to the dealer. Thanks ...

Quick Reply: Let's finally have a RATTLES poll