View Poll Results: Does your TSX have rattles?
YES
69.73%
NO
30.27%
Voters: 598. You may not vote on this poll

Let's finally have a RATTLES poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 04:34 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weck, I think the "jap" version might have the problem as well. I live in Sweden and own a Euro-Accord (which I think is the same as the Jap-Accord) and I am also expereince rattle in the passenger door (load music and above 70 mph on rough roads).

I would like more input from those who have confronted their dealers with the problem. What did they do to fix the problem?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:48 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tobiasax
Weck, I think the "jap" version might have the problem as well. I live in Sweden and own a Euro-Accord (which I think is the same as the Jap-Accord) and I am also expereince rattle in the passenger door (load music and above 70 mph on rough roads).

I would like more input from those who have confronted their dealers with the problem. What did they do to fix the problem?
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:45 PM
7th Gear

Man, I hate hearing this stuff about rattles. I'm not paying $27K for a rattle trap. Hopefully, they'll have this worked out on the '05's which is probably what I'll end up with (assuming this problem is addressed). WTF, maybe it'll have a V6 by then.

Randy
Old 08-26-2003, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

No rattles except for clutch pedal squeak...

Which I resolved on my own. I lubed (lithium grease) the shaft that actuates the slave cylinder. (under the dash)... That resolved it.

I believe there is probably some type of rubber grommet (insulator) for the shaft and it got a bit dry...

No problem since...

Its interesting to hear how many people have rattling cars (interior)...

I have not one rattle however I can say that when I removed the resonator on the intake (while installing my fog lights), there were buzzes and rattles I could not figure out where they were coming from... I immediately put the resonator back in and all buzzes are rattles were gone... So if you are running without the resonator as in you have a modified CAI, that could be the cause of your problem... Just my two cents worth...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:40 PM
That blowed up real good!

Well, there goes my theory. Anyone know someone who works for Honda and can get in touch with Honda Japan to see how they plan on fixing this issue? So far only my trim is causing the rattle ...

Has anyone tried disassembling the door panels yet? Has your dealer?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:57 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Weck
Well, there goes my theory. Anyone know someone who works for Honda and can get in touch with Honda Japan to see how they plan on fixing this issue? So far only my trim is causing the rattle ...

Has anyone tried disassembling the door panels yet? Has your dealer?
Not only did I have my door panel disassembled...I had my entire passenger side door panel replaced. The whole thing! But the rattles are still there.

Apparently the panel is separating from the door skin. Honda used some type of glue to keep it together but its obviously not working. In addition there may also be a problem with the door locks on both sides because they buzz as well. Not sure if the 2 problems are related.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

I have experienced intermittent rattles when the volume is turned up, but it only happens once in a while, not every time. Also, the most annoying thing happened today. I drove by a car (in stop and go traffic) with a very loud modified exhaust and the vibrations from his exhaust was causing rattles in my driver door. That is going to drive me crazy!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I also noticed the rear view mirror shaking as i had the radio on during my test drive. The radio was not really loud at all. I was talking with the salesman in a normal voice and he was hearing me just fine. I didn't hear any rattles, but i looked in my rear view mirror in the center, and i saw it shaking like hell. I turned down the radio, and it stopped. I asked the salesman what was up with that, and he told me that "the mirror just needs to be tightened". How the heck do you tighten a mirror??? I never knew you could do that.
Anyways... i've got a theory on this... previous Hondas and Acuras did not have any type of subwoofer or low frequency speaker to make sounds and vibrations in the car. So... the current design worked fine for them a few years ago. But recently, they've been adding pretty big woofers in the rear of the car. Since there is more vibration in the car, the car needs more dampening material at least around the speakers. I dont think that Acura/Honda thought of that. So as a result, some panels are coming loose when they didn't before. I had all 4 of my doors and my trunk door in my 4runner all lined with dynomat extreme when i had my system done. Even with my powerful subwoofer pounding and my 4runner vibrating, i dont hear any rattles at all. Dynomat is a sound deadening material. It not only gives you a lot cleaner sound, it also stops vibrations, and when you have it in your doors and you shut your doors, it also makes your doors sound like they are built like tanks. This stuff does WONDERS for doors. If you open up certain areas of a mercedes S-class, you will find tons of this stuff inside. Give this stuff a try, and may it'll fix the problem. This wont be ab easy problem for Acura/Honda to solve and i doubt they will pay for all new TSXs to be fitted with sound deadening material.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:47 AM
9th Gear

Ditto to all of the above. My dealer has had my door panels apart several times and still can't get rid of the rattle (ESPECIALLY the door locks).
Old 09-12-2003, 11:47 AM
9th Gear

Ditto to all of the above. My dealer has had my door panels apart several times and still can't get rid of the rattle (ESPECIALLY the door locks).
Old 09-12-2003, 01:38 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Alin10123
I also noticed the rear view mirror shaking as i had the radio on during my test drive. The radio was not really loud at all. I was talking with the salesman in a normal voice and he was hearing me just fine. I didn't hear any rattles, but i looked in my rear view mirror in the center, and i saw it shaking like hell. I turned down the radio, and it stopped. I asked the salesman what was up with that, and he told me that "the mirror just needs to be tightened". How the heck do you tighten a mirror??? I never knew you could do that.
Anyways... i've got a theory on this... previous Hondas and Acuras did not have any type of subwoofer or low frequency speaker to make sounds and vibrations in the car. So... the current design worked fine for them a few years ago. But recently, they've been adding pretty big woofers in the rear of the car. Since there is more vibration in the car, the car needs more dampening material at least around the speakers. I dont think that Acura/Honda thought of that. So as a result, some panels are coming loose when they didn't before. I had all 4 of my doors and my trunk door in my 4runner all lined with dynomat extreme when i had my system done. Even with my powerful subwoofer pounding and my 4runner vibrating, i dont hear any rattles at all. Dynomat is a sound deadening material. It not only gives you a lot cleaner sound, it also stops vibrations, and when you have it in your doors and you shut your doors, it also makes your doors sound like they are built like tanks. This stuff does WONDERS for doors. If you open up certain areas of a mercedes S-class, you will find tons of this stuff inside. Give this stuff a try, and may it'll fix the problem. This wont be ab easy problem for Acura/Honda to solve and i doubt they will pay for all new TSXs to be fitted with sound deadening material.
We discussed the idea of dynomat a few times, but it seems that it wont solve the problem. Especially the door locks. In fact someone posted that one audio place actually said dynomat would make these types of rattles even worse.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:42 PM
You want me to break it?

I have 2 rattles - one sounds like it is coming from the front tweeter area on the dash, the other is in the passenger door. From previous posts, I imagine that the door rattle is the speaker harness bumping around. The rattles happen without the radio on and while cruising (2500 rpm) so I doubt that it is a resonance issue on mine. Regardless if this is a non scientific poll, I'd say that 2:1 having rattles is a statistically significant problem. This is my first upscale car, I imagine that Acura will respond appropriately for a car in this segment (free fixes for everyone).
Old 09-12-2003, 11:48 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Gpump
I imagine that Acura will respond appropriately for a car in this segment (free fixes for everyone).
I am starting to have my doubts about this. A couple members have actually talking to reps at Acura of America and lets just say things didnt sound promisiing.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Damn... now I have rattles too...

Sometime back I posted that I had no rattles.

Then yesterday, (I haven't driven my car in a few days) noticed that I have three very distinct rattles/noises...

The first appears to be coming between the windshield and the dash - only occurs when I hit certain bumpy road surfaces... Its very annoying...

The second is coming from the steering column but only occurs if I engage 1st gear at a low RPM. Its not all that bad and its sort of like a "shuttering" sound.

The third is by far the worst... When winding the motor up in the 6K plus range, I get a sound (kind of like coins in a coin box rattling against each other) coming from the bottom of the passenger side dash, around the HVAC fan blower unit. (and yes I removed all the coins from the coin box (in the center console).

Do these rattles sound familiar to everyone?

What's weird is prior to yesterday, I didn't have any of these... All seem to happen at the same time... That's weird.

My car is not subjected to the beating of the sun or cold either. Its garaged and is rarely driven (just over 2000 miles yet its 4 months old)...

I'm very dissapointed and hope to get it resolved but I can't imagine the dealer being able to fix it.. It would require a minimum of two people, one to drive while the other looked for the source of the noise... I doubt they would be willing to do that... I may have to tackle this on my own...

All in all, I've been happy with this car but if these ratlles persist or get worse, I will definately have to take action...

I have had trucks in the past (and one would say that rattles in trucks are ok) but my past two trucks (Ford F150 Supercrew and Toyota Tundra) didn't rattle AT ALL... And I off-roaded both of those trucks with lots of flexing and vibration with no issues...

As for the TSX, the only thing I can think of is that this is a newly designed car, and with anything new, there are bound to be issues... There is no way in the world you can test everything that a car will go through over time... I suspect Honda/Acura will eventually get the bugs out and resolve them in future TSXs...

Hopefully we will see some TSB's regarding this...
Old 10-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Rattle in the passenger dash area...

Yes, I have rattles.

The rattles started happening around the 2000 mile mark and it was intermittent at first, but now every time I drive it I can hear the noise. I had a friend sit in the passenger seat to pinpoint the rattle and we think we have it nailed down to the latch in the glove compartment. I'm not sure if its the latch on the glove box itself or the top part that it latches to. Whenever I leave the glove box open, the rattle goes away. I had the dealer take a look at it and he said it was installed correctly and that he didn't hear anything on the test drive (of course) . I didn't have time to go on the drive with him since I left it there to get an oil change as well, but I'll try to point it out better next time. Anyone else have this "glove box" rattle?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

Just got my first darn rattle at the end of my first aggressive driving marked as my end-of-break-in ceremony.

The noice comes from passenger side dash but I have to have somebody else check (I ws alone in the car when this happens).
Old 10-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Racer

No rattles.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

No shakes, rattles or roll.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Advanced

This is interesting. It would be more informative if everyone included their mileage (mine's 2,400). I have no rattles (yet) THAT I HAVE NOTICED!! And there's the rub - because, of course, now that I have read this thread, I'm going to be listening more closely for rattles, and I'm sure I'm therefore more likely to "hear" them. This is not to say TSX owners aren't having a rattle problem, just that to some extent it's subjective; some are more sensitive to these kinds of noises than others and may now be "listening" for them when they would not have been noticed otherwise. (Btw, if this happens to me when I get back in my car in about an hour I'm gonna kill whoever started this thread LoL!!)
Old 10-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Douglas Chow
No shakes, rattles or roll.
Hi Douglas, am from Vancouver too. We are getting a Pearl White TSX next week and am a bit concerned reading all about this bad news!

I hate squeaks and rattles so much that I traded my 2002 MB CLK430 after only 1,800 Kms. because of dashboard rattles.

How many kilometers do you have on your car right now. Glad to hear that yours is tight and rattle-free.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:40 AM
8th Gear

Anyone with rattles coming from the headliner; rear part of the car? That's where I think the problem in my car is.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Advanced

I'm pleased to report, that after having read this thread a few days ago, and thereafter listening more closely, I have only detected (once) a window squeak when it was going up. Another time I heard another squeak coming from the back but it turned out to be some stuff I had on the back seat. I'm at 2,500 miles, so I guess the shake rattle and roll could be yet to come.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Racer

Originally posted by agumont
Anyone with rattles coming from the headliner; rear part of the car? That's where I think the problem in my car is.
I had that problem and it was easily fixed by the dealer. The edge of my headliner, along the top of the rear window, was not well-finished, so it was rubbing against the roof. Try tapping on the area to make sure that's your problem.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:23 AM
4th Gear

Yes, my TSX has a rattle/vibration which sounds like it comes from the front of the dash where it meets the windshield. I started to notice it when the weather got colder in October.

I took it to my dealer, Flow Acura of Winston-Salem. They treated my complaint seriously (the service manager went for a ride with me and acknowledged that he could hear the rattle).

They kept my car for a few days and wound up sending it to an auto-glass repair shop where the front windshiled was replaced. At first this seemed like it fixed it. But as soon as we had a cool weather morning, the rattle showed up again, although now the noise has mysteriously moved from the passenger side of the dash to the driver side. It is most noticeable when the outside temp is cool, in the 40's and 50's. When the car sits in the sun all day, and the temp warms up the noise is less noticeable.

Otherwise, I have had no other problems with the car and no rattles anywhere else. I love the car but I admit that this is an annoying problem even if it does not affect how the car performs and drives. This should not happen with a Honda/Acura product.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear

Door rattle test

I have rattles from both front doors when going over bumpy road with stereo off. With the stereo on over 20, it's worse. It been getting worse. I also have popping sound coming from the windshield.

To test for door rattles, play music with decent bass. Use the fader and balance controls to set the sound to only come from one door at a time. If you have rattles, they will be apparent then.

I made an appointment for mine for mid-November and will let you know what the dealer did to resolve this.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:48 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Door rattle test

Originally posted by thedude123

I made an appointment for mine for mid-November and will let you know what the dealer did to resolve this.
Probably nothing.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:27 PM
More On

Re: Door rattle test

Originally posted by thedude123
.....To test for door rattles, play music with decent bass. Use the fader and balance controls to set the sound to only come from one door at a time. If you have rattles, they will be apparent then.....
Yeah, based on what people have reported, that sounds like a good way.

But IMHO, if you have to go out of your way to find a problem, then in essence the problem doesn't exist. Like the joke about the old lady (sorry to all the old ladies I'm offending, anyway most of my friends are old ladies) who called the police to complain about the man across the way who was cavorting naked right by his window. The cop said, "I don't see anything." The lady said, "Well yeah, you have to use these binoculars."
Old 10-28-2003, 03:31 PM
9th Gear

Unhappy More Rattles

I have 6,000 miles on my tsx (silver, 6speed w/nav) From day 1 I have had an anoying vibration in the right side passenger door when playing music loud. Now I have the same in both doors, and they rattle at certain frequencies as well. Dealers say there isn't a proven way to fix this yet, and Acura will look into this when enough owners complain. Call their customer service number and complain please.
Now, as far as other rattles, they are in the doors without music, as well, and this is my next trip to Acura. I'd like them to replace the doors...
Old 10-28-2003, 03:31 PM
9th Gear

Unhappy More Rattles

I have 6,000 miles on my tsx (silver, 6speed w/nav) From day 1 I have had an anoying vibration in the right side passenger door when playing music loud. Now I have the same in both doors, and they rattle at certain frequencies as well. Dealers say there isn't a proven way to fix this yet, and Acura will look into this when enough owners complain. Call their customer service number and complain please.
Now, as far as other rattles, they are in the doors without music, as well, and this is my next trip to Acura. I'd like them to replace the doors...
Old 11-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Drifting

no rattles yet, but I've only driven about 1300 miles...
Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Instructor

At 650 Kms., I finally hear a squeak from above; either near the rear view mirror or moonroof! The ambient temperature is dropping. Daytime temperature is barely 8 degrees Celsius.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:58 AM
TfD
Cruisin'

Driver's door lock rattled this morning. Touch the trim, went away.
Didn't notice the rattle last night. Did I only notice because I read this thread?

It is about 40F here, so I'll check when it warms up.

Took delivery Monday night, only 220 Miles on the car.
Carbon Gray / Quartz - 5AT w/Navi

Car build date - 10/7/03
Old 11-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Racer

Just an idea

It may not solve all your problems but I think this procedure may be a good start. I haven't done it, but I have heard from others that it fixed all the door related rattles.

http://www.chrishorne.com/gallery/TSXspeakers

Sorry if you can't just click on it, but the site is good.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:43 AM
9th Gear

Any idea about why they changed out the speakers? Was it to get rid of the rattle or to upgrade? Did it work?
Also, do you know if this was dealer work? Drives me crazy to think I'd need to do this myself when it should be warranty work.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Racer

Originally posted by psullivan
Any idea about why they changed out the speakers? Was it to get rid of the rattle or to upgrade? Did it work?
Also, do you know if this was dealer work? Drives me crazy to think I'd need to do this myself when it should be warranty work.
Both upgrade and to get rid of rattles and buzzing from the speakers.

No, this guy did it himself. And Yes, he said it fixed the rattles and buzzing, plus the sound is better too. I have heard comments from a few other guys that did it too, and all the comments were positive.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:55 PM
TfD
Cruisin'

Originally posted by TfD
Driver's door lock rattled this morning. Touch the trim, went away.
Didn't notice the rattle last night. Did I only notice because I read this thread?

It is about 40F here, so I'll check when it warms up.

Took delivery Monday night, only 220 Miles on the car.
Carbon Gray / Quartz - 5AT w/Navi

Car build date - 10/7/03
Warmed up to 66F, no rattles when I drove to lunch. Even on the rough road.

Whew...
Old 11-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Advanced

i get rattles on the passenger side by the speakers. Its understandable when i play a song with a lot of bass i can deal with it. But the one that really pisses me off is the WINDSHIELD when i drive over bumps...... it definately sounds like its shaking or something like that...... and i have about 2K on her and shes still squeling when i stop at slow speeds???
Old 11-06-2003, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

No rattles yet. Only 500 plus miles.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Still no rattles or whistling or loose windshield even at 3,600 miles. (And no, I didn't vote again.)
Old 11-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Just freaking started at mile 1656. Sounds like it's coming from the windshield - dash area.

Quick Reply: Let's finally have a RATTLES poll