Leak Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak Help!!!!

Get this!

I turn on my AC for the first time this year, with my girlfriend in the passenger seat, she tells me my car is leaking water. I said WHAT!? I doubted her, but... I looked and and yes I see a piddle of water. Took a 3 hour drive this weekend and had to have my AC on. By the end of the drive, my passenger floor was soaked and submerged in water.

It's leaking out from the air vent under the glove compartment. Water is HOT when it leaks out.

Will call dealer today. Anyone know Acura's loaner policy?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:46 AM
LOUD NOISES!!

That is very alarming, I have to look into that, i wouldnt really know because most of the time I drive, I am alone so i never really think to check the passenger floor..... But as per the Loaner issue.... My dealer (Bedford Acura, NY) said that they have to schedule you far in advance to make sure you get a loaner otherwise you are SOL. Apparently my seat transmission is/was broken, i had no idea, i dont move my seat all that often. And since this is an over night job, i requested a loaner. Needless to say the part came in 2 weeks ago, I cannot afford to leave my only means of transportation. Just food for thought that you might have to wait a few weeks to schedule a loaner, hope all works out....
Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
The AC system has no hot water in it - the only thing that has hot water inside the car is the heater exchanger. Did you never use the defroster? That uses the AC system and should have triggered this issue.

If it was a choice between a flooded passanger floor and no AC I would have taken the latter choice. As anyone would tell you, without replacing every fiber, a flooded car can never be made right.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Leak Help!!!!

Originally posted by DjElucid
Get this!

I turn on my AC for the first time this year, with my girlfriend in the passenger seat, she tells me my car is leaking water. I said WHAT!? I doubted her, but... I looked and and yes I see a piddle of water. Took a 3 hour drive this weekend and had to have my AC on. By the end of the drive, my passenger floor was soaked and submerged in water.

It's leaking out from the air vent under the glove compartment. Water is HOT when it leaks out.

Will call dealer today. Anyone know Acura's loaner policy?
Sounds as if AC drain line is clogged or disconnected. It is the line that drains water to the garage floor after your TSX is parked.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by biker
The AC system has no hot water in it - the only thing that has hot water inside the car is the heater exchanger. Did you never use the defroster? That uses the AC system and should have triggered this issue.

If it was a choice between a flooded passanger floor and no AC I would have taken the latter choice. As anyone would tell you, without replacing every fiber, a flooded car can never be made right.
I would much rather have no AC and I did turn it off, but it was raining and I couldn't see. So I had no choice, I tried turning it off a few times, but didn't work. I'll be calling them today.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:52 AM
HCF
'Insert witty text here'

Hey Dj, did you ever take your car to the dealer on this issue??

The reason I asked is a very similar thing happened to me I was driving around and noticed my car starting to sound like there was a fish tank in the dashboard. Then my AC fans started acting very strange. I asked my wife to check the floorboard on her side because I remembered reading this post and she said it was dry. Well to make a long story a little shorter, I went out the next morning and there was about 6 inches of water in the passenger side footwell. Sound bad? It gets better. Looks like it flooded my ECU so my car won't start. I finally got a tow to the dealer and they are looking into it.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by HCF
Hey Dj, did you ever take your car to the dealer on this issue??

The reason I asked is a very similar thing happened to me I was driving around and noticed my car starting to sound like there was a fish tank in the dashboard. Then my AC fans started acting very strange. I asked my wife to check the floorboard on her side because I remembered reading this post and she said it was dry. Well to make a long story a little shorter, I went out the next morning and there was about 6 inches of water in the passenger side footwell. Sound bad? It gets better. Looks like it flooded my ECU so my car won't start. I finally got a tow to the dealer and they are looking into it.
This is a text book example of what happens when the AC drain line gets clogged or disconnected - in your case it is clogged.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by miner
This is a text book example of what happens when the AC drain line gets clogged or disconnected - in your case it is clogged.
I second that. My friend recently had the same thing happen in his I35. It turned out to be a clogged drain. According to the guy who fixed this it was a spider ...
Old 06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro

Hey Guys!

Just got back from Sunny California. I brought my car into the dealer last thursday before I left. Turns out the drain pipe was clogged. He said there were leaves in it or something. Simple problem fixed and then the dealer tried to sell me on the AC water filter or something for $77. He said it should be changed every 15k miles... that true? I denied it.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:49 AM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DjElucid
Hey Guys!

Just got back from Sunny California. I brought my car into the dealer last thursday before I left. Turns out the drain pipe was clogged. He said there were leaves in it or something. Simple problem fixed and then the dealer tried to sell me on the AC water filter or something for $77. He said it should be changed every 15k miles... that true? I denied it.
first time i've ever heard of a ac filter. I would'vd done the same
Old 06-05-2004, 05:31 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by DjElucid
Hey Guys!

The Pollen Filter? Yes, according to the TSX Official Maintenance Schedule the pollen filter should be replaced every 15,000 miles "if the vehicle is driven mostly in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and diesel powered vehicles."

I'd add: "Or if it's parked around trees."

I've replaced the pollen filter on my wife's Oddy twice so far (not a task for the faint-hearted!) and I was amazed by the amount of crud - leaves, pie needles, feathers etc. that had accumulated in the plenum chamber. It's not a stretch to see how the drain could easily clog.

I was also amazed that the Pollen Filter was a lot dirtier than the engine air cleaner!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:35 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob shiftright

I was also amazed that the Pollen Filter was a lot dirtier than the engine air cleaner!
whoa
Old 06-05-2004, 08:58 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by tony4311
whoa
Maybe the pollen filter is a finer mesh than the air cleaner?

Anyway, on my Volvo they recommend pollen filters every 15,000 miles but engine air cleaners every 30,000.