Doors leaking water?!? (Pics Included)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Doors leaking water?!? (Pics Included)

While returning to my parent's home for the weekend where I planned to install new door speakers, I encountered heavy rain. Fortunately the rain had let up by the time I reached my parent's house. Once I began removing the door panels and stock speakers, I realized that there was water actually inside my door. So much in fact that the stock speakers were damp from water. Both the driver's side and the passenger's side had water in them.

I took a bucket of water and poured it over the doors (with the doors shut, of course ) to see if any water leaked through and I could see where it was coming from. I found out there was a tiny place where the seal just ran short, making a small hole right in the corner.

Has anyone else experienced this?!? Im glad I didnt install the new speakers yet.

Where the tiny hole is:

Another angle:

A view from inside the door:

After water is poured. Here you can still see some of the water dripping down the window guide:

I stuck the camera inside the door so I could see how wet everything got on the inside. Wow... :
Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't believe the doors were designed to be watertight. That is why there are weep holes at the base of the door, to let any water that gets through the window seals to escape through the door cavity and weep out the bottom. Water shouldn't be getting to the inside of the car though. In your case I guess that the window seal is a bit short allowing more water in than it should. Might want to take it in to the dealer and see if they change the seal out.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

I wouldnt think that this amount of water would be considered normal. If anything any water going through the door like that would seem to me to be severely damaging both to audio and other components. I could be mistaken though
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ouch...

keep us updated with your progress. i'm gonna take a look at this area too in my car...
Old 04-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

hard to see, pics too small
Old 04-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't look excessive to me. The door is designed to get water in it, that's what the vapor shield and the drain holes are for. Speaker will not be affected by a little bit of water/moisture splashed on the back of the cone. If you're going to put a crossover in the door, either put it between the door panel and the vapor shield, or seal it in a plastic bag.

The beltline moulding/seal in your 2nd picture looks identical to mine. Now what will be a problem is if you don't get the vapor shield plastic correctly reinstalled and completely sealed around the edges, this will allow water into the interior of the car in a heavy rain.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Cruisin'

Ok, if it is in fact normal then I will stop worrying about it. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't something I should be concerned with.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I've noticed water coming out of my drivers door weep hole at times. Glad to hear that it's normal.........
Old 04-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it's normal to have water inside your doors, that's why sometimes after it rained or after you washed the car and you open the door, you see a stream of water coming out from those weep holes.

The seal between the door and the window doesn't form a tight seal anyway, and it often lets water inside your door. As you as the white plastic is on, you're ok.

Also, I think the stock speakers have sort of a plastic baffle/cover behind it, if I remember correctly. If you put in aftermarket speakers, that might be one thing you want to keep in mind, or you'll eventually get rust on the back of the speaker.