A/C Compressor Clutch Plate Broke Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:49 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
A/C Compressor Clutch Plate Broke Off

Apparently cars hate me cause this seems like something very odd to break. Well I was just our with some friends eating tonight and once I drove home and parked and right as a turned the car off I heard a loud clunking noise and I knew instantly it wasn't good. So I looked under the car and saw this plate on the ground and this but with what appeared to be some kinda of bolt/gear. Turns out after looking in the service manual it is the A/C compressor clutch. Apparently from the parts I now have in hand the axle/gear sheared right off of the motor on the compressor. Not really sure how it happened but here are some pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to know if this means I just wont have ac and that I can at least still drive the car or if I am going to have to have it towed to the dealer to be repaired. My personal oppinion from looking at the books is that mased on page 21-78 part 3 that the snap ring holds the pulley on which means I should be able to drive the car to the dealer without having to worry about the pulley flying off and causing damage in my engine bay.

A/C Compressor Clutch Disc

Axle/Gear of A/C Compressor

Shear off point???
Old 05-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow J, I'm not sure what to tell you. What does the manual say if this malfunctions?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would tow the car to the dealer instead of driving it. Btw, are you able to turn the AC pulley by hand?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a sign that the A/C compressor has seized. Driving the car is not a problem, you just won't have A/C (Clip "A" in step 3 on page 21-78 retains the pulley to the compressor housing).
Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by poltergeist
This is a sign that the A/C compressor has seized. Driving the car is not a problem, you just won't have A/C (Clip "A" in step 3 on page 21-78 retains the pulley to the compressor housing).
sweet that is what I want to know. that what I was thinking. I guess I will try to start to car and see what happens.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JTso
I would tow the car to the dealer instead of driving it. Btw, are you able to turn the AC pulley by hand?
no cause the belt is still on it.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Pro

The pulley will turn freely (if there were no belt on it). The clutch plate (the part that broke off with the end of the compressor shaft) engages to the pulley when the clutch coil is energized to turn the compressor.

The car is perfectly safe to drive. But you're looking at replacing the compressor and clutch assemblies......and most likely the condensor, evaporator and expansion valve (and flushing the remainder of the system) because the seizing compressor usually pumps debris through the entire system before it lets go.

Any chance you're still under warranty??? It can get pricey.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by poltergeist
The pulley will turn freely (if there were no belt on it). The clutch plate (the part that broke off with the end of the compressor shaft) engages to the pulley when the clutch coil is energized to turn the compressor.

The car is perfectly safe to drive. But you're looking at replacing the compressor and clutch assemblies......and most likely the condensor, evaporator and expansion valve (and flushing the remainder of the system) because the seizing compressor usually pumps debris through the entire system before it lets go.

Any chance you're still under warranty??? It can get pricey.
luckly i am still under warranty till september or october. glad it happened now then if all that is going to need to be replaced. and idea what would cause it to seize up. anything i would have done to possibly to prevent it.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
luckly i am still under warranty till september or october. glad it happened now then if all that is going to need to be replaced. and idea what would cause it to seize up. anything i would have done to possibly to prevent it.
Good to hear you're still in Warr. I haven't heard of too many TSX compressors locking up, but it's VERY common on the '02-'06 CRV's. Don't know if the TSX and CRV use the same compressor or not. In the case of CRV's, they're just weak compressors. Doesn't seem to be anything to prevent it, they just wear out and lock-up.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Nice job on the post-mortem detective work.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Apparently cars hate me cause this seems like something very odd to break. Well I was just our with some friends eating tonight and once I drove home and parked and right as a turned the car off I heard a loud clunking noise and I knew instantly it wasn't good. So I looked under the car and saw this plate on the ground and this but with what appeared to be some kinda of bolt/gear. Turns out after looking in the service manual it is the A/C compressor clutch. Apparently from the parts I now have in hand the axle/gear sheared right off of the motor on the compressor. Not really sure how it happened but here are some pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to know if this means I just wont have ac and that I can at least still drive the car or if I am going to have to have it towed to the dealer to be repaired. My personal oppinion from looking at the books is that mased on page 21-78 part 3 that the snap ring holds the pulley on which means I should be able to drive the car to the dealer without having to worry about the pulley flying off and causing damage in my engine bay.

A/C Compressor Clutch Disc

Axle/Gear of A/C Compressor

Shear off point???
Is there any chance you can post page 21-78 of your repair instructions? I am trying toreplace the compressor clutch on my car. Would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
10th Gear

That is the same part that fell off my 2004 yesterday! It appears that the compressors are crap! I'm waiting for the "dealer" to tell me how much it will be to replace the compressor along with all the other parts! This poorly engineered part that Acura uses is pretty disappointing. I expect this on a Kia not an Acura. yes parts do fail, but when there is a trend, and there is a known problems with the part there needs to be a workable solution instead of just leaving the consumer with a lighter wallet.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 PM
7th Gear

2004 TSX 120k miles... AC clutch fell off

Yesterday, I noticed that the AC was blowing warm air on and off. I also heard some odd noise. Today, I got in the car and the AC was only blowing HOT as hell air! (I'm in Florida where it is 1000 degrees!) I started driving it with the windows open... I was melting. Then I heard a loud, ugly noise like something fell off of my car.
I turned around and took it to a nearby NAPA auto place.. I was told (and shown) that the AC clutch fell off. They said the entire compressor will need to be replaced.. I was quoted a total of $1129.68 for compressor, dryer, AC system flush, and system recharge.

It's a 2004 TSX that was purchased new.. Never had any issues until this year...9 years without any issues. Then had starter replaced, a wheel bearing, the transmission was rebuilt a month ago.. had the car fully painted because of terrible white patches, and now the AC!!!
That's about $5k into the car this year.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
The TSX uses a scroll compressor which has two parts; one rotating and one fixed that are very tightly fit together. Apparently Acura must have got the tolerances wrong on the 2004 compressors as they seem to fail relatively frequently.

Look on youtube for good video of how a scroll compressor works. It seems like magic, but just good parts and tight tolerances to work. Much simpler than a multi-piston compressor.

I had a scroll compressor fail on a Subaru Forester. It also siezed and broke the compressor shaft. However, it occured very rapidly, and apparently no debris was scattered as happens in a piston type compressor that siezes. I flushed condensor, ac lines, and new receiver/drier. Recharged w/ oil and refrigerant and no problems. So you may get lucky and get minimal debris parts.

good luck