bustin fuses

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 AM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry bustin fuses

Ok, I need some help here. I installed dom's tv/nav converter a few months ago along with all the other necessary hardware and a pocket dvd player. I get an Ipod nano for my b-day and bought a car-charger for it. one day (within a week of using the charger) i notice that the charger does not work anymore in the usual spot of within the center console. I check it on the "not an ashtray" plug and it works fine. Then, the fuse blows. whatever i try, i blow a fuse. sometimes it will work out fine for a few minutes and then blow. Ive checked each wire and tried with a new fuse - im at about 10 now. The only fuse that blows is the 15w power to the power points. because dom's unit is powered, when i dont get power to the unit, i dont get power to the navigation screen and it is useless. I can guess where the buttons are and it will work, but i get little or no picture. now my setup is as follows:

Doms unit, Power filter and dvd player (under navi) running through power from power spot next to "not an ashtray" the power goes to the filter and then over to (split) converter and dvd player. the P.I.E. sound box is not powered.

I have checked out all the connections behind the dash and everything seems good. Oh, one more thing - the passenger side heater light is out now and will not turn on. Not the little red lights, but the background lighting that turns on when you turn your lights on. The other one is fine.

Am i pulling too much power from the outlet? It was fine until just recently. I dont think i changed anything else recently except for the ipod adapter. but now it wont even work w/out the adapter. I checked fuses in the dvd player wire and the ipod adapter, they are both fine. i am very frustrated.

any help would be appreciated
Old 11-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by San-AnT
Oh, one more thing - the passenger side heater light is out now and will not turn on. Not the little red lights, but the background lighting that turns on when you turn your lights on. The other one is fine.
This isn't b/c of your electronics. I have only a Sirius system and my bulb went out. It is a defect and covered.

As for the reset of them, check the plug for the iPod in another car. Sounds like the plug might have an issue.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by moda_way
This isn't b/c of your electronics. I have only a Sirius system and my bulb went out. It is a defect and covered.

As for the reset of them, check the plug for the iPod in another car. Sounds like the plug might have an issue.
i figured it was unrelated. I will check in another car. However, the fuses keep breaking even though i am not connecting the ipod anymore.

do you think it would help to unplug the battery and rework the power/ground wires?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Send a PM to resident electronics guru, Elduderino. He should be able to give you an idea of what might be going wrong.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Send a PM to resident electronics guru, Elduderino. He should be able to give you an idea of what might be going wrong.

2x
Old 11-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check and make sure there is nothing metal in the socket, like a paperclip or something. I was blowing fuses with my cell charger until someone on this site told me that most blown fuses from power sockets are caused by metal f.o.d.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like a flux capacitor running above 88 jiggawatts!

Sorry! Can't help ya!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by danotto
Check and make sure there is nothing metal in the socket, like a paperclip or something. I was blowing fuses with my cell charger until someone on this site told me that most blown fuses from power sockets are caused by metal f.o.d.
Kurt Bradley was the one that posted the info. He said the majority of the time, it's a foreign object in the 12v power socket.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Hey What up CG...nice to see you back man

Unfortunately, Eld has kind of dissappeared from the forum. He doesn't post in the audio/video section anymore and I've heard he doesn't really return PMs anymore. Last I heard he's been really busy with his new car stereo shop. Hopefully he comes back some time.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds very possible that there is to much current draw from the "not an ashtray"socket.

It sounds like that is where you are gettin the power source from for your new navi system correct?

If so, it may be fine for the fuse to have that draw for the navi etc., but when the iPod is connected it draws just that much more through that will blow the fuse for that socket. Try goin to a higher amp fuse again 20amp maybe, and see if it still blows.

Its almost like stickin a whole bunch of house plug power strips together with a bunch of appliances....something will give
Old 11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
Hey What up CG...nice to see you back man

Unfortunately, Eld has kind of dissappeared from the forum. He doesn't post in the audio/video section anymore and I've heard he doesn't really return PMs anymore. Last I heard he's been really busy with his new car stereo shop. Hopefully he comes back some time.
I was gone?

And that's unfortunate to hear about Eld. He was very knowledgeable in this area so his expertise would certainly be welcome in this sort of a situation.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:39 PM
The Power of a Grill

Ok. i found a fucking penny in the center console plug thingy. Now when i get off work i will go and buy yet another fuse and test it out. I should have looked there first. Thanks all
Old 11-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by San-AnT
Ok. i found a fucking penny in the center console plug thingy. Now when i get off work i will go and buy yet another fuse and test it out. I should have looked there first. Thanks all

That'll do it.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:26 AM
The Power of a Grill

my fingers hate me

after work, i went to a convenience store (i get out of work at 11pm and all the auto shops are closed) and bought a fuse kit, stuck in the fuse, and it blew. wtf???? now im wondering, did i undo one of the connectors during the 2 am wire checks last time? why isnt this working anymore? i am soooo frustrated. I gave up last night. will try one more time today before work before i toss this car in the dumpster and start over.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:30 AM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
It sounds very possible that there is to much current draw from the "not an ashtray"socket.

It sounds like that is where you are gettin the power source from for your new navi system correct?

If so, it may be fine for the fuse to have that draw for the navi etc., but when the iPod is connected it draws just that much more through that will blow the fuse for that socket. Try goin to a higher amp fuse again 20amp maybe, and see if it still blows.

Its almost like stickin a whole bunch of house plug power strips together with a bunch of appliances....something will give
the navi power is not drawn from that line. The reason my screen is out is that dom's unit is powered and the screen wires run through the tv unit. the power goes exclusively to the two power plugs. Since one power line splits to give power to both plugs, i figured it could handle the dvd player and the tv unit. the power filter is really just a pass through and should not draw too much power for its own use.

then again...
Old 11-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

You need a multimeter to find out what the actual draw is on that fuse. Only way to tell if that is it.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by moda_way
You need a multimeter to find out what the actual draw is on that fuse. Only way to tell if that is it.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 AM
The Power of a Grill

Fixed. turns out the fuses weren't blowing anymore after the penny was discovered. well, they were but not because of the load. the power wire to the power filter was disconnected after my rage-like wiring on the last try before i found the penny. it was touching the metal cage for the oem extra player (tape, mp3, dvd) and was shorting out. I reconnected and crimped, now everything works fine and both outlets are juiced. thanks for everyones help again. I know that i can always find an answer to my car problems here eventually.