6MT Transmission Failure - Out of Warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:34 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
6MT Transmission Failure - Out of Warrenty

My transmission just failed with 107,000 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately i dont have the extended warrenty. I was driving down the road when i started to hear a clunk, clunk, like something was hitting the drive shaft/axle. It was a rotational sound; the faster i went, the noise got faster.

Took it to the dealership near me here in Cali, and they determined that the transmission case broke along with the Lay (sp?) shaft. They gave me two options:

1. to rebuild the transmission for $3300. But he warned me that there are some metal pieces that have been floating around inside the transmission case, and although they could flush it and try to get them out, that the best solution would be to just replace the transmission completely.

2. A brand new transmission would run $4400. Both proces he listed were including replacing the clutch, only because it makes sense to do a clutch replacement sine the engine will be apart anyway. With 107,000 miles on the car, i agree with him (even though the clutch is still fine, it will EVENTUALLY have to be replaced). They are going to replace the clutch free of labor, i just have to buy the parts.

Anyone have any recommendations for me? I am probably going to buy a brand new transmission. However, i dont feel like this is an item that is supposed to break/fail. Even though i am out of warrenty, i called acura client services to see if they can compensate me in anyway. The bottom line, i dont have $4,400 to pay for this, period. I feel that Acura should try to aleviate the price of this somehow, even if its only a discount on the labor or something. I filed a claim with the lady on the 800 number, and she said there is nothing they can do, but that a regional manager will call me within 2 business days to talk to me. Should i raise holy hell about this? i flat out cant afford this much money. Please give me any advice you guys recommend or what you would do in my situation. Thanks a lot.

RP
Old 11-11-2005, 03:38 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you really have 107k miles on a TSX already?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STL
Yeah 107k miles in roughly 2 1/2 years is quite a bit! That is 3,567 miles a month. Wow.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you have any idea something was wrong prior to the clunk clunk you mentioned? Any mods to related components that you suspect contributed to it?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, that really sucks. I wonder if there is anyone else who can rebuild the tranny for you , for alot cheaper.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by STL
thats like 120 miles a day.... everyday for the last 29 months... That is a lot of driving! With that kind of wear and tear on your car, did you take any unusual precautions to guard against breakdowns?

Sorry your tranny is bad. I once suffered one of the infamous Honda AT failures and I can feel your pain.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:55 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The "magnesium transmission case" was one of the features of the car, as it was f1 technology that made it to the road. Looks like there are some downsides to having such a light ( and weak) tranny case.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Racer

Unfortunately, I don't think you have much of a choice. You have over 100,000 miles on your car, so it's likely driver induced - not a materials defect.

I would definitely have a good private shop do the work, the dealer is gonna kill you with their labor rates and full price parts.

Check the internet for a used tranny off an insurance loss car. I'm sure there must be some out there. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you have the papers to prove you followed the service intervals correctly, you might have a claim.

1-800 acura relations number can SOMETIMES meet you halfway, in that they pay the parts and you pay the labour to the dealership. This happened to me with a seat-base (TSB) problem out of the 60K km bumper to bumper warranty - they paid the $770 for the base, I paid the $175 for the labour.

Also, contact Lemon-Aid directly, and ask them for "hidden warranties". Since you are what, 7k Miles out of warranty (????) I think it should still be 90% warrantied.

Don't get ANYTHING done without feeling good about it yourself first, and don't hesitate to look around and search www.car-part.com for a wrecked TSX. You might get lucky and find one with a 6MT that you can buy.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Another option is to buy a brand new tranny off those TSXs from the train wreck.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Racer

Where are you in Cali??

If you are near Orange County my dad owns an auto repair shop and he can complete the job much cheaper.

I suggest you just put in a used manual tranny and everything would be good as new.

If you go to my dads shop the total with parts and labor would be less then $1,800 with new clutch.

Do not have the tranny rebuilt, its better getting a used tranny from a low mileage totalled car.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Instructor

take advantage of the situation and put in a lightened flywheel and lsd
Old 11-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

wow.. thats a shitload of miles
Old 11-11-2005, 06:19 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm going to agree with the others here, don't bother with the dealer if you can get a tranny w/warranty else where, since you don't have the acura extended anyway - imo.

or get the warranty off your insurance, i know geico does offer that.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
My transmission just failed with 107,000 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately i dont have the extended warrenty. I was driving down the road when i started to hear a clunk, clunk, like something was hitting the drive shaft/axle. It was a rotational sound; the faster i went, the noise got faster.

Took it to the dealership near me here in Cali, and they determined that the transmission case broke along with the Lay (sp?) shaft. They gave me two options:

1. to rebuild the transmission for $3300. But he warned me that there are some metal pieces that have been floating around inside the transmission case, and although they could flush it and try to get them out, that the best solution would be to just replace the transmission completely.

2. A brand new transmission would run $4400. Both proces he listed were including replacing the clutch, only because it makes sense to do a clutch replacement sine the engine will be apart anyway. With 107,000 miles on the car, i agree with him (even though the clutch is still fine, it will EVENTUALLY have to be replaced). They are going to replace the clutch free of labor, i just have to buy the parts.

Anyone have any recommendations for me? I am probably going to buy a brand new transmission. However, i dont feel like this is an item that is supposed to break/fail. Even though i am out of warrenty, i called acura client services to see if they can compensate me in anyway. The bottom line, i dont have $4,400 to pay for this, period. I feel that Acura should try to aleviate the price of this somehow, even if its only a discount on the labor or something. I filed a claim with the lady on the 800 number, and she said there is nothing they can do, but that a regional manager will call me within 2 business days to talk to me. Should i raise holy hell about this? i flat out cant afford this much money. Please give me any advice you guys recommend or what you would do in my situation. Thanks a lot.

RP
How do you drive your car? Aggressively? Just wondering if hammering on the gearbox contributed to this failure. Granted, it's hard not to drive a MT TSX hard.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

I bought a tranny from Hoehn Acura in Cali a few years ago for my Integra...got a good deal, maybe check them out. Definitely upgrade the clutch and lighten & balance the flywheel too.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was it that light-weight magnesium casing that went?

You might want to try this lead. A couple of years ago I had a used engine and transmision, supposedly low-mileage from Japan where cars don't get driven much and emission laws are really tough, installed in my Honda Civic; anyhow, it was cheap, and worked well for another two years (45,000km), until I sold the car: they had the car for 1 day, because the parts were in stock.

Lucky Star Japanese Auto Parts
32 Ingram Dr.
North York, Ontario
Canada M6M 2L6

(416) 246-8444

The Japanese owner of the shop told me his brother is in Japan, sourcing, buying and shipping used parts, engines and transmissions for all Japanese cars, which are then re-directed via Toronto (North York) across Canada, the US, and Europe. While talking with this guy, the phone rings and he starts answering the call in Spanish; when asked, he said he speaks 4 or 5 languages, giving some credence to his story about the extent of his business. Does a JDM tranny work for the TSX????

Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 PM
04 remembrance

1) Did you take the your car for regular maintenance?
2) Did your car have prior tranny problems?

I believe reimbursement is possible if you have proof for regular maintenance. ACS has reimbursed many vehicles that had no warranty, it's just a matter of wording and convincing.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:40 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
Did you have any idea something was wrong prior to the clunk clunk you mentioned? Any mods to related components that you suspect contributed to it?
Nope i dont have any engine related mods, or any mods at all for that matter. This seemed to just happen out of nowhere. I was on my way to Circuit City, driving down the freeway, when i got off at the first exit and put the windows down i started to hear the noise. I wasnt driving the car har at all.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:42 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by fedlawman
Unfortunately, I don't think you have much of a choice. You have over 100,000 miles on your car, so it's likely driver induced - not a materials defect.

I would definitely have a good private shop do the work, the dealer is gonna kill you with their labor rates and full price parts.

Check the internet for a used tranny off an insurance loss car. I'm sure there must be some out there. Good luck.
Do you have any recommendation of where to start as far as locating a decent private shop. Anyone reading this who is from Cali, i am in San Francisco and dont know the area. Not sure where to start or look...
Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by JTso
Another option is to buy a brand new tranny off those TSXs from the train wreck.
Yeah i remember that train wreck. How would i go about locating those TSX's? Does Acura have records or ownership of those cars still?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:46 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Where are you in Cali??

If you are near Orange County my dad owns an auto repair shop and he can complete the job much cheaper.

I suggest you just put in a used manual tranny and everything would be good as new.

If you go to my dads shop the total with parts and labor would be less then $1,800 with new clutch.

Do not have the tranny rebuilt, its better getting a used tranny from a low mileage totalled car.
I am up in San Francisco, but i actually have an apartment in Ventura, which is near Orange County in SoCal. I agree i am not going to rebuild the tranny. Where would your dad's shop get the parts? I would have to ship my car down to O.C. if i were to do this. What is the name of the shop? PM me if you want to talk off-line. And thanks alot for the help.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:47 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by shaang
take advantage of the situation and put in a lightened flywheel and lsd
I doubt i will go the LSD route, but i definitely want to put in a lighter flywheel. Any recommendations what flywheel to get and/or where to look for one? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:52 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by waTSX
How do you drive your car? Aggressively? Just wondering if hammering on the gearbox contributed to this failure. Granted, it's hard not to drive a MT TSX hard.
No i drive the car pretty conservatively, honestly. I do have the occasional redline, but its nothing excessive. But overall, no, the car is not driven aggressively at all.

What really shocks me is that i rev match constantly, always downshift without "slipping" the clutch. I've always made sure to go easy on the synchros by matching rpms whether i am downshifting or upshifting. To be honest i am pretty good at it (or so i thought!!) as far as babying my car. I was literally hoping to see if i could get 150K miles out of the first clutch, so i always tried to take it easy on the drive train in general. Weird.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:00 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
Was it that light-weight magnesium casing that went?
Yes apparently it was the transmission case that failed and broke.

You might want to try this lead. A couple of years ago I had a used engine and transmision, supposedly low-mileage from Japan where cars don't get driven much and emission laws are really tough, installed in my Honda Civic; anyhow, it was cheap, and worked well for another two years (45,000km), until I sold the car: they had the car for 1 day, because the parts were in stock.

Lucky Star Japanese Auto Parts
32 Ingram Dr.
North York, Ontario
Canada M6M 2L6

(416) 246-8444
Maybe i could try to purchase the parts from this shop, but since i am located in Cali i really dont think i could have the repairs done there. Or am i missing something?

The Japanese owner of the shop told me his brother is in Japan, sourcing, buying and shipping used parts, engines and transmissions for all Japanese cars, which are then re-directed via Toronto (North York) across Canada, the US, and Europe. While talking with this guy, the phone rings and he starts answering the call in Spanish; when asked, he said he speaks 4 or 5 languages, giving some credence to his story about the extent of his business. Does a JDM tranny work for the TSX????
Oh I see, i could maybe try to at least get the parts through this guy. I dont know if the JDM tranny would necessarily be the route i wanna go with my TSX. Not sure if the specs are exactly the same as the TSX. Thanks though..

RP
Old 11-12-2005, 01:04 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Nope
Originally Posted by iamhomin
1) Did you take the your car for regular maintenance?
2) Did your car have prior tranny problems?

I believe reimbursement is possible if you have proof for regular maintenance. ACS has reimbursed many vehicles that had no warranty, it's just a matter of wording and convincing.
I did take the car in for regular maintenance. But this dealer told me that the 6MT tranny in the TSX is supposed to be flushed every 30K miles. Is this true? I finf this hard to believe. In a way, it almost sounded like he was trying to fault me saying that you are supposed to "top off" the tranny fluid every 30K miles. But a manual transmission is sealed and its not like an automatic, there is no dipstick. you cant just add fluid. And the other thing he tried saying was that he though i put gear oil into the transmission. I told him that regular motor oil is what is supposed to be in there, not gear oil. and besides, i never added anything to the tranny anyway.

I may not have all the records. But doesnt acura have electronic records of every service in their national computer database?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Just dial 1911

Nope

I did take the car in for regular maintenance. But this dealer told me that the 6MT tranny in the TSX is supposed to be flushed every 30K miles. Is this true? I finf this hard to believe. In a way, it almost sounded like he was trying to fault me saying that you are supposed to "top off" the tranny fluid every 30K miles. But a manual transmission is sealed and its not like an automatic, there is no dipstick. you cant just add fluid. And the other thing he tried saying was that he though i put gear oil into the transmission. I told him that regular motor oil is what is supposed to be in there, not gear oil. and besides, i never added anything to the tranny anyway.

I may not have all the records. But doesnt acura have electronic records of every service in their national computer database?
Regular motor oil in a manual tranny??? Ummm You need to replace it with gear oil.

Not sure how many points there are to fill in the TSX, but I replaced the gear oil on my old Tacoma at around 30K in the gear box, transfer case and rear diff. Stuff was pretty dirty when it came out too...

So 100K+ miles and you never replace the gear oil? No suprise your tranny failed.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Regular motor oil in a manual tranny??? Ummm You need to replace it with gear oil.

Not sure how many points there are to fill in the TSX, but I replaced the gear oil on my old Tacoma at around 30K in the gear box, transfer case and rear diff. Stuff was pretty dirty when it came out too...

So 100K+ miles and you never replace the gear oil? No suprise your tranny failed.
Honda MTF (manual tranny fluid) is closer in properties to that of 10w30 motor oil, than gear oil. Gear oil is normally quite thick (in the neighbourhood of 40w-90 or whatever) and is totally unsuitable for trannies like those in Honda's. Trucks? Different story.

Honda MTF is essentially 10w30 with additives and detergents.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Well, after looking at the service manual, you dont have to replace the tranny fluid until 120K miles. That seems way to long for me...

Also, the manual states that you can temporarly use motor oil for the tranny, but it says to replace it asap.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by curls
Honda MTF (manual tranny fluid) is closer in properties to that of 10w30 motor oil, than gear oil. Gear oil is normally quite thick (in the neighbourhood of 40w-90 or whatever) and is totally unsuitable for trannies like those in Honda's. Trucks? Different story.

Honda MTF is essentially 10w30 with additives and detergents.
Yup, your right!
Old 11-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned

damn that totally sucks. Sorry about your situation.
Yeah you have plenty milage but that's quite IRRELEVENT esp. regarding a Honda.

hmmm based on what you said about how you drive I guess in 5 or 6 years it's problly going
to be another replay of that TL A/T shit business. damn !
Old 11-12-2005, 05:17 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Well, after looking at the service manual, you dont have to replace the tranny fluid until 120K miles. That seems way to long for me...

Also, the manual states that you can temporarly use motor oil for the tranny, but it says to replace it asap.
You know come to think about it, about 5-6 months ago my transmission seal started to leak. I took it to the dealership in Ventura, CA and they replaced it. However they had to remove to axle, etc, to do this. They claimed that they topped off the tranny fluid, but that barely any fluid had really leaked out. Could this have anything to do with my failure now? The current dealership who has my car claimed that the fluid didnt smell right and wondered if i ever put gear oil in there, which obviously I havent (nor did the dealer in ventura). I am wondering if these events are related.

Yeah i'm pretty sure they use something similar to motor oil. Gear oil is way too thick for a manual tranny. And also, i dont think the service recommends replacing the tranny fluid that often, it seems like i should be sooner than 120K miles. But since my tranny was topped off when the seal was replaced, you would think that that would have helped a little as it is somewhat new fluid after 100K miles.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Just dial 1911

You know come to think about it, about 5-6 months ago my transmission seal started to leak. I took it to the dealership in Ventura, CA and they replaced it. However they had to remove to axle, etc, to do this. They claimed that they topped off the tranny fluid, but that barely any fluid had really leaked out. Could this have anything to do with my failure now? The current dealership who has my car claimed that the fluid didnt smell right and wondered if i ever put gear oil in there, which obviously I havent (nor did the dealer in ventura). I am wondering if these events are related.

Yeah i'm pretty sure they use something similar to motor oil. Gear oil is way too thick for a manual tranny. And also, i dont think the service recommends replacing the tranny fluid that often, it seems like i should be sooner than 120K miles. But since my tranny was topped off when the seal was replaced, you would think that that would have helped a little as it is somewhat new fluid after 100K miles.
Yea, gear oil has a distinct sulfuric smell to it. But even if they topped it off with new oil, that dosent really help much. The old stuff needs to be drained to get rid of the metal shavings. If its like my old truck was, the bolt is magnatized to attract the shavings to minimize them floating around in the oil. I remember when I did my Tacoma the first time, on top of the bolt was a thick blob of metal "goo". And that was only after 30K
Old 11-12-2005, 09:06 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Anybody think it WOULDN"T be a good idea to get that comptech light flywheel? I have been reading old threads and some people are saying that a lighter flywheel might be bad for stop and go traffic, which is usually a significant portion of my morning and afternoon commute. Would it really be that bad as far as stalling and idling with the lighter flywheel?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Yui
Pro

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that =( Hopefully you have something you can be driving for work in the meantime.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cazzy
Yeah 107k miles in roughly 2 1/2 years is quite a bit! That is 3,567 miles a month. Wow.
That's it? Sauceman probably has double that mileage by now.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:17 AM
04TSX CG 5AT

52,000 Miles 5AT

I've got about 52,000 miles on my 5AT...no issues as of yet. Now getting it flushed ASAP.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:29 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I change tranny oil in my MT's every 30k, regardless of what the manual says, just like changing oil every 3k regardless of what the manual says. Maybe a waste of a little (very little) money, but it isn't "the manual" on the hook for repair costs.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I change tranny oil in my MT's every 30k, regardless of what the manual says, just like changing oil every 3k regardless of what the manual says. Maybe a waste of a little (very little) money, but it isn't "the manual" on the hook for repair costs.
I think i am going to adapt this habbit now as well. Especially since i drive so much for work, i really need to start changing the tranny fluid every 30K miles.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:52 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by Yui
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that =( Hopefully you have something you can be driving for work in the meantime.
Yeah the dealership was nice enough to give me the same car (TSX) in the same color (CG), but its a 5AT with no navi. I am really enjoying driving the automatic to see the gear shifts, etc, compared to the manual. Something confuses me though. For example, if i am on the highway and the car is in 5th gear, i can press the gas very lightly and it wont upshift, but somehow it seems that there is like an extra over drive gear or something. The rpms will go up or down only a couple hundred, but if i pop it inot SS mode it says that its in 5th. Is there an overdrive on the 5AT? I dont think there is. Also, this car has XM radio, which is awesome. Does anyone know how to change the display to show the song/title, instead of just showing the channel?

Quick Reply: 6MT Transmission Failure - Out of Warrenty