6MT Transmission Failure - Out of Warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, 50% of the cars that I've read about here (that's only two cars) have cracked transmission casings. Reputedly, the TSX is the 1st Honda/Acura with the magnesium casing, probably a foreshadow of things to come. Could it be argued that perhaps the 7lb weight saving (on a 3250lb car!!) was worth the expense or, in your case, the reliability?

I'm still debating the BMW 323i vs TSX, with no new car needed before April, but when my wife goes in to test drive the TSX, I will ask about the "reports" I've heard about this issue. In Mr. Honda's biography, I got the impression that he would have been all over something like this - and on your side. How often has this kind of thing happened, because there can't be too many higher-mileage TSX's around? Honda should WANT to look at that tranny, for R&D purposes, give you a new one, and say, "Thanks."
Old 11-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I meant 50% of the high-mileage cars, those with 100,000+ miles. Still, it's an unpleasant statistic and it makes me wonder if some parts of this car aren't overstressed for a long-term daily driver.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gdcwatt
I meant 50% of the high-mileage cars, those with 100,000+ miles. Still, it's an unpleasant statistic and it makes me wonder if some parts of this car aren't overstressed for a long-term daily driver.
Its amazing to me when people think our little microcosm here represents the majorty of TSX drivers

There are probably thousands of TSX's out there that have over 100K. So one or two people here report a failure and its The sky is falling!
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Its amazing to me when people think our little microcosm here represents the majorty of TSX drivers

There are probably thousands of TSX's out there that have over 100K. So one or two people here report a failure and its The sky is falling!
Yeah i think that what, maybe 5%-10% of all TSX owners probably even read this board. And that is really stretching it, its probably a lot less than that. But i will say that not many TSXs in the U.S. have over 100K miles. I would guess it would be in the hundreds, barely. I have been to many dealerships while driving across the country to california, and every time i got service i always recieved the comment that this is the most miles that service dealer had seen on this car. Thats coming from 1 dealership in NJ, 2 in PA, 1 in Colorado, and 2 in California. Granted its not a very fair statistical sample population, but you get the idea.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:06 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
Yeah i think that what, maybe 5%-10% of all TSX owners probably even read this board. And that is really stretching it, its probably a lot less than that. But i will say that not many TSXs in the U.S. have over 100K miles. I would guess it would be in the hundreds, barely. I have been to many dealerships while driving across the country to california, and every time i got service i always recieved the comment that this is the most miles that service dealer had seen on this car. Thats coming from 1 dealership in NJ, 2 in PA, 1 in Colorado, and 2 in California. Granted its not a very fair statistical sample population, but you get the idea.
Hey Roger,

Were most of your 107k miles stop-and-go, or up/down hills? My '03 Accord Coupe V6-6MT owner's manual says the trans. fluid needs to be changed every 60k if you drive in those conditions most of the time, 120k otherwise. I drive a fair amount too (2k+mi/mon), but it's mostly freeway. No problems so far with my tranny. All the dealerships I've been to include "replace trans. fluid" in the 30k mile (Major) service.
I've been considering the '06 TSX 6MT, but now I'm feeling apprehensive about it. The more I think about it, the more it seems like the Acura-first TSX magnesium trans. casing might actually be more fragile than what's normally used (aluminum?). If I'm going to spend over 26k on a car, I want one that will last, especially with the driving that I do. If this was a serious problem, I would expect a well-known brand like Honda to fix the problem in the later years.

Also, I looked up Magnesium on wikipedia: "For a long time, Porsche used magnesium alloy for its engine blocks due to the weight advantage, but around the early 1980's switched back to aluminium for its superior ruggedness at very high horsepower and lower cost."

Maybe that ruggedness is what the TSX's tranny is lacking?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:16 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

klutzy, one tranny going is nothing to get worried about. we're talking a fraction of a percentage of 6mt owners on this site having problems.

also, an engine block and a tranny case are apples and oranges, but I do understand your point.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:18 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by klutzyfool
Hey Roger,

Were most of your 107k miles stop-and-go, or up/down hills? My '03 Accord Coupe V6-6MT owner's manual says the trans. fluid needs to be changed every 60k if you drive in those conditions most of the time, 120k otherwise. I drive a fair amount too (2k+mi/mon), but it's mostly freeway. No problems so far with my tranny. All the dealerships I've been to include "replace trans. fluid" in the 30k mile (Major) service.
I've been considering the '06 TSX 6MT, but now I'm feeling apprehensive about it. The more I think about it, the more it seems like the Acura-first TSX magnesium trans. casing might actually be more fragile than what's normally used (aluminum?). If I'm going to spend over 26k on a car, I want one that will last, especially with the driving that I do. If this was a serious problem, I would expect a well-known brand like Honda to fix the problem in the later years.

Also, I looked up Magnesium on wikipedia: "For a long time, Porsche used magnesium alloy for its engine blocks due to the weight advantage, but around the early 1980's switched back to aluminium for its superior ruggedness at very high horsepower and lower cost."

Maybe that ruggedness is what the TSX's tranny is lacking?
I find it surprising that you quoted that paragraph from wikipedia, but not the part RIGHT after it. 1980 is quite a bit of time ago, 20+yrs is a whole lotta technological advancement.

2nd part from wikipedia:

"However, there is renewed interest in magnesium engine blocks, as featured in the 2006 BMW 325i and 330i models. The application of magnesium AE44 alloy in the 2006 Corvette Z06 engine cradle has advanced the technology of designing robust automotive parts in magnesium. New alloy development and lower costs, which are becoming competitive to aluminum, will further the number of automotive applications. Norsk Hydro Magnesium and Meridian Technologies, Inc. are the major suppliers of magnesium to the automotive industry."
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
6th Gear

You're right, fdl, I'm probably getting worked up over nothing. I guess it's because Roger here has reached more mileage than most other TSX drivers, and I'd like to keep the car beyond that mileage without any problems.

Horro, I quoted that paragraph just for the statement that they switched back to aluminum for it's ruggedness, ruggedness suggesting that it's more durable than magnesium. I know the rest of it doesn't apply, since it's related to engine blocks, not trannys. Of course there's been a lot of technological advancement since 1980's. But the paragraph also says that VW has used magnesium in their engine blocks for some time now, and what have we noticed about VW's reliability?

Oh well, regardless of what's going on, I'm looking forward to the '06.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:55 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by klutzyfool
You're right, fdl, I'm probably getting worked up over nothing. I guess it's because Roger here has reached more mileage than most other TSX drivers, and I'd like to keep the car beyond that mileage without any problems.
I was planning on keeping the TSX for at least 200K miles. It sucks that i travel a lot with my car. But i thought a honda would be the best to do this with. I wonder what i could sell this baby for. I'm not really gonna do that, but just for fun i wonder if i could get at least more than i owe in payments on her.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM
6th Gear

I was planning on keeping the TSX for at least 200K miles. It sucks that i travel a lot with my car. But i thought a honda would be the best to do this with. I wonder what i could sell this baby for. I'm not really gonna do that, but just for fun i wonder if i could get at least more than i owe in payments on her.

Yeah, I know what you mean. After hearing about your tranny problems at 107k, I was reconsidering getting a cheaper car like the Mazda 3 (which got pretty good CR ratings, although it's fairly new too). I guess that's why they call those cars "commuter cars". I'm beginning to think that it might not be a good idea to spend the extra money to get a TSX that'll be used mainly for long straight drives on the freeway. I've always liked the TSX, though; would've gotten one if it was out at the time I got my car.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Well i recieved some good news from Acura Client Services today. They are going to meet me halfway on the price of the new tranny, which means that i will ultimately pay about half of what they originally quoted me at. That is fair of them to do that and makes me extremely happy and satisfied customer. Lets just hope that this is the last time i have a tranny issue though...
Old 11-14-2005, 06:49 PM
6th Gear

Well i recieved some good news from Acura Client Services today. They are going to meet me halfway on the price of the new tranny, which means that i will ultimately pay about half of what they originally quoted me at. That is fair of them to do that and makes me extremely happy and satisfied customer. Lets just hope that this is the last time i have a tranny issue though...
Great to hear that! Be sure to take good care of it!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I figured that was what you'd get. That's their standard cookie-cutter response to things like this, and almost anyone can get it. Props to you for at least calling and getting this - I'm sure saving $2000+ can't hurt!

PS: Get the dealer to investigate as to WHY the case "malfunctioned" in the first place, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post their findings. I'd love to hear what might have caused a magnesium case to catastrophically fail. Seems strange.

PPS: Make sure Acura isn't just meeting you 1/2 way on the parts OR labour like they tried with my friend and with myself. It should be 1/2 way on BOTH.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
In late here, I'm buzy travelling too... and my tranny's fine, fortunately.

I'm really sorry to hear about his, Roger. I've had a few parts replaced and covered by Acura out of goodwill, even though those parts were way beyond their warranty limit. if you have a good case of a part that should not fail with regular usage, you should always give it a shot at having Acura support you with the repairs. For me, they paid the parts, and I paid for the labor. Still 1/2 and 1/2 is a lot better than 100% of the invoice paid by you.

If your budget still allows for it, definitely go with a lightweight flywheel. And don't worry about the Comptec flywheel, it is not light enough to cause you any driveability issues. I have found, and said this often, that the flywheel mod was the singlemost satisfying mod I've made to my car, because no comfort of particular aspect of the car's performance had been sacrificed, while the engine was noticeably rev-happier. I actually also found the car was morelenient with near stalls. It would actually pick right back up instead of what would have been an automatic stall with an OEM flywheel.

I definitely recommend you this. As for the clutch, for the usage you do, stick to OEM! They are good, dependable and durable. Aftermarket clutches won't come near that.

Good luck. You will catch up with me pretty soon as far as mileage goes. I'm taking delivery of the Smart in a month from now, and will transfer 30% of my mileage to the little new car.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by sauceman
I definitely recommend you this. As for the clutch, for the usage you do, stick to OEM! They are good, dependable and durable. Aftermarket clutches won't come near that.
I believe someone said the Exedy flywheel wouldn't work w/ the OEM clutch, I suggest double checking w/ Comptech that there's does work w/ the OEM
Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by xizor
I believe someone said the Exedy flywheel wouldn't work w/ the OEM clutch, I suggest double checking w/ Comptech that there's does work w/ the OEM
Originally Posted by kendroz
Greetings!!

I just in the middle of changing my clutch at the acura shop. I receive a call today that the kit I installing cannot fit. My kit is Exedy #08806 and we found that it will not fit the oem flywheel . I just bought the Exedy #HF02 flywheel to make it fit. The actual pressure plate is smaller that the oem. So I need to wait until monday to finish the install.
What can I expect when using a ligther flywheel??
I later found that Daikin just release the oem kit HCK1010.

I let you know the final chapter of this thing.

Thanks to all
from https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25792
Old 11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Polar Chicken

Since they are meeting you halfway, I would not just replace the OEM clutch but get an upgrade as this will be needed for your future mods:
Old 03-13-2006, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear

my tranny just took a shitter too...6mt...i started hearing a clunk just like roger, than it got louder as i slowed...pretty soon i couldnt even move forward, just a bad grind in reverse...when i tried to go forward, it would lean forward than thrust back as if juggernaut was shaking the car...its in the shop as we speek...2004 with 76000 km...btw this all happened within 5 mins...BS
Old 03-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by TSeXy
my tranny just took a shitter too...6mt...i started hearing a clunk just like roger, than it got louder as i slowed...pretty soon i couldnt even move forward, just a bad grind in reverse...when i tried to go forward, it would lean forward than thrust back as if juggernaut was shaking the car...its in the shop as we speek...2004 with 76000 km...btw this all happened within 5 mins...BS
I'd be interested in comparing the last 6 digits of your VIN with Roger's.

Or even just finding out what your's are.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I'd be interested in comparing the last 6 digits of your VIN with Roger's.

Or even just finding out what your's are.
Same here.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear

ill post the vin tomorrow...
Old 03-13-2006, 10:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Tsexy, this will be covered by the powertrain warranty right?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Tsexy, this will be covered by the powertrain warranty right?

Unless its clutch related I don't see why not. Tsexy, I'd be interested to know your VIN as well. And the dealer you plan to bring this to.

I don't think we've had any AT failures thus far. Maybe 1. This is what the 6th MT failure? Still a good percentage, but still.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:20 AM
HOWARD911S

find a good shop to rebuild the trainny... and sell or trade in the car!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear

sorry i just got in, didnt grab the vin...my car has been towed to acura sherway since that was the closest dealer to the incident...they are still investigating...powertrain is 5/100000 clutch is 3/60000 - not disc obviously
Old 03-15-2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by TSeXy
sorry i just got in, didnt grab the vin...my car has been towed to acura sherway since that was the closest dealer to the incident...they are still investigating...powertrain is 5/100000 clutch is 3/60000 - not disc obviously
VIN should be on your insurance papers and ownership, too.

Hopefully everything works out for you with minimal or no cost to you.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 AM
TSX User

6mt > 5at?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
6mt > 5at?
OH no, 2 whole ppl have an problem
Old 03-15-2006, 10:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

While it hardly widespread I think we've seen more MT failures on this board. What that means, probly nothing.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
While it hardly widespread I think we've seen more MT failures on this board. What that means, probly nothing.

Are you sure about that? I think its pretty close. But in both cases its a very low percentage.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 AM
TSX User

I was semi-sarcastically referring to Dom's previous (#63) post: MT 6 vs. AT 1.

A failed transmision is rather serious and, in some cases, potentially dangerous. Not to mention expensive, if out of warranty. I do hope these are statistical outliers.

Now why don't you go run along and troll around your favorite rattle & vibrator threads or something ...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
Are you sure about that?

No.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
So, 50% of the cars that I've read about here (that's only two cars) have cracked transmission casings. Reputedly, the TSX is the 1st Honda/Acura with the magnesium casing, probably a foreshadow of things to come. Could it be argued that perhaps the 7lb weight saving (on a 3250lb car!!) was worth the expense or, in your case, the reliability?

I'm still debating the BMW 323i vs TSX, with no new car needed before April, but when my wife goes in to test drive the TSX, I will ask about the "reports" I've heard about this issue. In Mr. Honda's biography, I got the impression that he would have been all over something like this - and on your side. How often has this kind of thing happened, because there can't be too many higher-mileage TSX's around? Honda should WANT to look at that tranny, for R&D purposes, give you a new one, and say, "Thanks."

No, not the first Honda with a Magnesium case. I am pretty sure my S2000 has one.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Yui
Pro

Originally Posted by curls
VIN should be on your insurance papers and ownership, too.

Hopefully everything works out for you with minimal or no cost to you.
It's also on your TLC card.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
VSA Rocks

The engineer in me was initially concerned when hearing about cast magnesium AZ91D being more widely used due to its noise damper ability, weight savings, and greater design flexibility in wall thicknesses when compared to the traditional 380/383/384 cast aluminums used in automotive applications.

Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has an extensive write-up about the whole cast aluminum vs. cast magnesium dillema:

http://www.intermet.com/resource/ima...er%20astm'

When compared to 383 cast aluminum, magnesium has a lower tensile strength. I'd be interested to know the exact failure mode of the case. My gut tells me that the fatigue cycles combined with the heat of the casing cased the failure. If this is true, we could expect more failures in the future as higher miles pile on.

The likelyhood of a "bad batch" with porosity present in the casings is extremely low due to many of the widely used detection methods available.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

30k and cracked case here
Old 06-19-2006, 07:12 PM
VSA Rocks

Yeah -- but didn't you install the 5.0 final drive, exedy clutch/flywheel combo, and LSD?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Yeah -- but didn't you install the 5.0 final drive, exedy clutch/flywheel combo, and LSD?
from your other posts it sounds like you've done some extensive mods to the drivetrain and beat on it
Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Well that's fantastic news. Looks like I have a expensive future to look forward to with this finely crafted japanese contraption.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My '99 Prelude with 80000 miles needed the transmission (auto) replaced. I had to pay $356 in labor, the tranny was offered at no cost by Honda.

Quick Reply: 6MT Transmission Failure - Out of Warrenty