04 TSX AC Compressor going out, anyway to delete the compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TSX AC Compressor going out, anyway to delete the compressor?

hi, i have a 2004 acura tsx and my mechanic told me that my compressor is going out. it is making a whining noise and it will cost me $1000 to fix. i've only owned the damn car for 2 weeks and i can not afford this. is their any way to delete the compressor altogether? If anybody could please help, i appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it making a whining noise when the engine the a/c is turned on, or turned off?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:10 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by PaHonda
Is it making a whining noise when the engine the a/c is turned on, or turned off?
Both. it makes a loud whining noise when its off, and a low grinding noise when the AC is on.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 AM
6th Gear

There are a couple of items I would check.

Are you sure the noise is from the a/c compressor? Is the belt tensioner holding the proper tension on the belt? See: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/acura-tsx-automatic-bender-problem-806396/

Since the noise is happening when the a/c is turned off, does your mechanic think it is just the pulley bearing?

If so, you would only have to replace the pulley/bearing. The a/c system would need to be recharged.
We replaced the tensioner we also changed the power steering pump, PS hose, alternator thinking it was all of these. he then checked the compressor and said it was loose.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Advanced

I messed up my last post, so I deleted the post and copied it.

Are you sure the noise is from the a/c compressor? Is the belt tensioner holding the proper tension on the belt? See: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806396

Since the noise is happening when the a/c is turned off, does your mechanic think it is just the pulley bearing?

If so, you would only have to replace the pulley/bearing. The a/c system would not need to be recharged.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Advanced

You can get the pulley and clutch for $160 online + shipping.

Installation is not that bad. You wouldn't need to open up the a/c system.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 AM
6th Gear

I messed up my last post, so I deleted the post and copied it.

Are you sure the noise is from the a/c compressor? Is the belt tensioner holding the proper tension on the belt? See: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806396

If so, you would only have to replace the pulley/bearing. The a/c system would not need to be recharged.

he said he was pretty sure the sound was from the compressor. we read the tsx compressors have a very short life span. it could be that the tensioner isnt tight enough. im honestly hoping that its just the pulley bearing, that would be SOO much easier and cheaper. if it is the compressor, do you know if it can be deleted?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Advanced

I don't know that. I am a new TSX owner myself, but owned an accord for long time.

Deleting the a/c system would be something someone would do to race the car. You might be able to install a shorter belt that would not go around the a/c compressor. Or maybe a site sells a pulley that would reside where the compressor is located. People would remove compressor to cut down on weight to race the car. Maybe search the web or this site?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:55 AM
6th Gear

I don't know that. I am a new TSX owner myself, but owned an accord for long time.

Deleting the a/c system would be something someone would do to race the car. You might be able to install a shorter belt that would not go around the a/c compressor. Or maybe a site sells a pulley that would reside where the compressor is located. People would remove compressor to cut down on weight to race the car. Maybe search the web or this site?
That was my mechanics next choice but he said he would have to attach a shorter belt to the water pump pulley but he said it wouldn't fit well. They make this thing called a ac compressed bypas pulley, but I've had no luck finding one for a tsx.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

AC bypass

I myself got this problem a day ago and it made a real nasty grinding noise like the bearing was shattered, and just like you I can't afford to put down a G at the moment so what I did is get a 55 inch 6 grove belt from O'Reilly's part number K060551 for $13 and just bypassed it. It's a quick fix so you can save up to eventually fix it right. It took me 15 minutes to change it but hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
If grinding noise is present w/ AC compressor OFF, then noise is almost certainly the clutch pulley idler bearing which turns 100% of the time. When AC is off the compressor is not turning so can't be the noise source.

It is a pretty challenging job to replace the compressor clutch bearing and many shops will want to replace the entire compressor. It's a no-brainer for a shop since they avoid any risk of a come-back in future and sell more services/parts.

That is why replacing the clutch bearing is usually a DIY project, however you might be able to find a shop that will undertake this job, but provide no garuntee of cure (no liability of noise is not eliminated).

good luck
Old 03-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Churro760
I myself got this problem a day ago and it made a real nasty grinding noise like the bearing was shattered, and just like you I can't afford to put down a G at the moment so what I did is get a 55 inch 6 grove belt from O'Reilly's part number K060551 for $13 and just bypassed it. It's a quick fix so you can save up to eventually fix it right. It took me 15 minutes to change it but hope this helps.
I bypassed my AC compressor temporarily with the following belt:

NAPA Serpentine Belt #25060547