May be able to use VAFC after all with this

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
May be able to use VAFC after all with this

Installation of an APEX’i V-AFC unit typically requires the very expensive vehicle cabin harness to be cut and spliced into. Boomslang Plug-n-Play harnesses come complete with the V-AFC plug and wires already installed into an adapter harness for an ultra easy, ultra clean installation. No cutting or splicing required – truly Plug-n-Play

http://kingmotorsports.com/product.a...55&vehicle=TSX
Old 07-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw that a month or two ago on their site and was wondering about it myself.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:38 AM
CL9 Tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, interesting. Who's gonna be the guinea pig?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 04_K24TSX
hmm, interesting. Who's gonna be the guinea pig?
its so tempting its cheaper than hondata
Old 07-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Installation of an APEX’i V-AFC unit typically requires the very expensive vehicle cabin harness to be cut and spliced into. Boomslang Plug-n-Play harnesses come complete with the V-AFC plug and wires already installed into an adapter harness for an ultra easy, ultra clean installation. No cutting or splicing required – truly Plug-n-Play

http://kingmotorsports.com/product.a...55&vehicle=TSX

Is that all that was keeping you guys from running a vafc?

You did not want to cut any wires?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

Hahaha
Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 PM

I truely believe that this should make it work and if it does I will get one really soon.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:02 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

but does the vafc, control timing? if not then what r the affects of not being able to change timing
Old 07-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
checked out the manufacturer's webpage and there is no listing of this being used with the TSX as of yet..

http://www.boomslang.us/vafc.htm

although if you go to the drop down box it does show a vafc-2 for 03-05 accord k24
Old 07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Drifting

fyi, left a vm with the office secretary to find out if they are working on a harness for the tsx...hopefully will get a call back today....
Old 07-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

By adding fuel with a vafc, the ecu has a tendancy to advance the ignition....sometimes more than you want....

Why don't you just wire the VAFC in normally? You should not need a goofy harness for this...

We have teh ECU pinouts if anyone needs them...
Old 07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

mr. heeltoe, could post the pinouts, or pm them to me, also i know you are putting off the turbo, but what were you gonna use to tune it, would a vafc do the trick........
Old 07-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Drifting

just got off the phone with Rustin of Boomslang. He stated that he doesn't currently have an application for the tsx... he would def research it and get back to me...
Old 07-06-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmathew34
just got off the phone with Rustin of Boomslang. He stated that he doesn't currently have an application for the tsx... he would def research it and get back to me...
AWESOME!!!! hope we hear from him soon
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

By adding fuel with a vafc, the ecu has a tendancy to advance the ignition....sometimes more than you want....

Why don't you just wire the VAFC in normally? You should not need a goofy harness for this...

We have teh ECU pinouts if anyone needs them...
Any hesitence in splicing the VAFC comes from Stokeless trying it a year ago and not being able to get the right wires (because the diagram was wrong ), but he ended up needing to buy a new ECU b/c he screwed it up... not that that'll happen to everyone
Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by jmathew34
I'm not surprised to hear this. What will surprise me is if he comes back with any sort of affirmative answer.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Stokeless

Heel toe have you sucessfully installed a VAFC yet? I have one just sitting and might try again or make a shop do it so if they fry my ECU or harness they will have to replace it. Let me know.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NightHawk CL9
mr. heeltoe, could post the pinouts, or pm them to me, also i know you are putting off the turbo, but what were you gonna use to tune it, would a vafc do the trick........

I will get working on getting the pinouts for you guys....

I have never put one in a TSX, but I am just wondering why it would not work....

The tubro kit would need to use some sort of piggyback or reflash. Still figuring that out.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is one that I posted from another thread. The only pin in question is the TDC signal...

Old 07-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Stokeless

Jtso if i remember correctly on the TSX there is 2 throttle signals. I wanna say one is white and green and the other is blue and something. I can't remember it has been over a year. That is what screwed me up. I could get it to monitor everything but when i hit the gas there was a huge delay and then it would bog out. It only worked if i pressed the gas EXTREMELY slow. That is the only way it didn't bog out and die. I will try again eventually but not for a whle 1100 bucks for a new ECU after that fried the last one....I really don't want to fork out that much again lol.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Pro

Just out of curiosity, has anyone phone Apex'i up at all?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Stokeless

I did back then and they told me they didnt have a wiring diagram yet but would in the future..but i haven't called them since I got my new ECU lol
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Drives With Hands

Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of functionality increase will a VAFC yield in our vehicles? This doesn't sound like it has the ability to manipulate fuel flow to the engine to enable the use of FI. What else can this thing do?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Senior Moderator

The VAFC controls fuel by modifying the MAP sensor signal. It's a lower cost and popular piggyback solution with limited functions for FI setups. How well it works for the TSX is a different story...

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_ele...=201&pageNum=1
Old 07-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Drives With Hands

Cool, thanks. Somebody needs to pony up and take one for the team.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Stokeless

Originally Posted by rmpage
Cool, thanks. Somebody needs to pony up and take one for the team.

did that already fried my ECU someone else's turn
Old 07-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Drifting

IF anyone on the TSX board with a manual tranny and a VAFC-2 is interested in this harness, please contact Rustin with Boomslang. He stated that he has been talking with APEX'i and there is a way to get the VAFC-2 working with the TSX and their harness.

Rustin - Boomslang
314-276-8408
Old 07-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Stokeless

im interested but i wanna see someone else do it first...i took one for the team YOUR turn
Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
im interested but i wanna see someone else do it first...i took one for the team YOUR turn
anyone have a spare APEX'i VAFC-2 they want to sell to me?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
2004 NBP/ebony AT

dang, now if i just had a manual tranny, and of course the VAFC-2...
Old 08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Drives With Hands

What would the real benefit from this be at this point? Unless I am mistaken, all it allows to be changed are the same parameters as the Hondata reflash. Why not just get that then? Is being able to actively adjust them that important, given that the aftermarket engine mods consist of the most simple of bolt-ons? Other than another "cool" electronic gadget to have (which I am a huge fan of btw) I don't see what other purpose one of these could serve for us.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmpage
What would the real benefit from this be at this point? Unless I am mistaken, all it allows to be changed are the same parameters as the Hondata reflash. Why not just get that then? Is being able to actively adjust them that important, given that the aftermarket engine mods consist of the most simple of bolt-ons? Other than another "cool" electronic gadget to have (which I am a huge fan of btw) I don't see what other purpose one of these could serve for us.
While I am a huge believer in Hondata and their technology a reflash is no better than "Chipping" a car. All cars a different and can benefit from custom tuning the air/fuel ratio to the engine and modifications you have. The Hondata Rflash doesn't do this.

Also the Hondata Reflash isn't available for the 2005 TSX yet so this is an altenative. That said, I am skeptical about the ECU leanring and fighting the VAFC and negating the tuning that could be done. I have nothing to back this up, just a concern of mine.

The VAFC is very easy to tune and will only apply to WOT as where Hondata did say they have done some partial throttle tuning with their reflash. Ideally we'd have the K-pro.

My suggestion would be to do the Reflash and see how the AFR looks and retune with a VAFC is it needs it. It would be nice if Greddy would make an eManage for the TSX as it is better than the VAFC IMO.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Drives With Hands

Thanks Asahi, that's the type of answer I was looking for.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Does the VAFC2 control the iVTEC's cam timing (degrees) setup? If not, it's basically useless. From what I know, that's where the power is at...... not just in fuel/VTEC switchover areas.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9900rpm
Does the VAFC2 control the iVTEC's cam timing (degrees) setup? If not, it's basically useless. From what I know, that's where the power is at...... not just in fuel/VTEC switchover areas.

Power can be made by tuning ignition timing but first Fuel should be tuned. You can make significant power tuning the fuel on a car. Typically Honda runs the cars way too rich for safe peak power. Blanket changes to some Hondas can be made through the distributor which if knock is listened for (ECU watches too) then you might be able to make a global timing change to benefit the car. I have found some cars make power by retarding timing when using Hondata so that could be the case on a TSX (I don't even know if the TSX has a distributor yet)

That said if you read Hondata's website the TSX doesn't have enough cam timing adjustment in the timing mechanism as is. Sounds like you would need to modify that first.

I'd say if a VAFC worked on a TSX you could put a decent tune into it but remember it will be WOT only as there is no partial throttle adjustment available in a VAFC.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Asahi
Power can be made by tuning ignition timing but first Fuel should be tuned. You can make significant power tuning the fuel on a car. Typically Honda runs the cars way too rich for safe peak power. Blanket changes to some Hondas can be made through the distributor which if knock is listened for (ECU watches too) then you might be able to make a global timing change to benefit the car. I have found some cars make power by retarding timing when using Hondata so that could be the case on a TSX (I don't even know if the TSX has a distributor yet)

That said if you read Hondata's website the TSX doesn't have enough cam timing adjustment in the timing mechanism as is. Sounds like you would need to modify that first.

I'd say if a VAFC worked on a TSX you could put a decent tune into it but remember it will be WOT only as there is no partial throttle adjustment available in a VAFC.
The TSX doesn't have a distributor. The VAFC will adjust fuel from idle to high rpm as it needs to trim back the extra fuel during idle when used with larger injectors. People have been doing it for years.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Asahi

I know that power can be, and is usually made through fuel and ignition timing changes (on NA, somewhat lean, with ignition advance), but on iVTEC motors (from what I've read on Hondata's page), TSX's seem to be happiest if the cam gear timing mechanism had 45 degrees of adjustment instead of the stock 20 degrees. Modifying the cam gears to allow the 45 degree sweep isn't the problem. Making something (ECU) control that is.

From what I know, VAFC isn't just for WOT. It does allow for 2 maps. One for part and one for WOT (hence the 2 throttle percentage inputs for each graph).

You said some cars make more power by retarding timing when running Hondata. Are these NA or turbo cars? I really can't see benefits by retarding ignition timing if the car was NA, unless Hondata's tune was way over advanced.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9900rpm
I know that power can be, and is usually made through fuel and ignition timing changes (on NA, somewhat lean, with ignition advance), but on iVTEC motors (from what I've read on Hondata's page), TSX's seem to be happiest if the cam gear timing mechanism had 45 degrees of adjustment instead of the stock 20 degrees. Modifying the cam gears to allow the 45 degree sweep isn't the problem. Making something (ECU) control that is.

From what I know, VAFC isn't just for WOT. It does allow for 2 maps. One for part and one for WOT (hence the 2 throttle percentage inputs for each graph).

You said some cars make more power by retarding timing when running Hondata. Are these NA or turbo cars? I really can't see benefits by retarding ignition timing if the car was NA, unless Hondata's tune was way over advanced.
Retarding timing has been on both FI and N/A but more significantly on FI, which isn't surprising.

The VAFC still relies on MAP voltage instead of directly controlling the injectors so it's tuning of things like idle and partial throtle are extremely limited. It is certainly the bst option we have provided it works.

If someone can confirm it would work on a 2005 ECU with a harness I'd be willing to spend the money. I'm curious how the person perviously mentioned managed to burn up an ECU plugging in a VAFC?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Instructor

As an FYI my background is in Hondata and Power FC which both have been on all Pre iVTEC cars so I coudl be way off base. BUT . . .Tuning fuel has always netted more power than tuning ignition timing. ANd without working with it more it sounds like tuningt he ignition timing isn't what it needs but insteade more timing from the mechansim.

I read the '06 specs posted on VTEC.net. Does anyone thing the mechanism has been modified based on the way it was worded?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Is a patch harness available for the 2005's? My TSX is an '05 as well.

I would like to try some kind of computer upgrade, since it's not looking likely that Hondata will come out with a K reflash for the '05's anytime soon. I believe a lot of power can be found with ECU tuning, since stock Honda tunes are always very conservative.

Quick Reply: May be able to use VAFC after all with this