May be able to use VAFC after all with this

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According my friend at Hondata the 04 and 05 ECU uses the same harness (04 should plug right into an 05) so the jumper harness should be the same.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Asahi
As an FYI my background is in Hondata and Power FC which both have been on all Pre iVTEC cars so I coudl be way off base. BUT . . .Tuning fuel has always netted more power than tuning ignition timing. ANd without working with it more it sounds like tuningt he ignition timing isn't what it needs but insteade more timing from the mechansim.

Power is made on the TSX from lowering the VTEC, advancing the cam angle and advancing the ignition. Fueling in the reflash is increased at high RPM to allow for intakes and headers.

Piggyback computers that I have seen, do not adjust the cam angle. Realise that if you lower the VTEC point with an external mechanism rather than from reprogramming the computer, the computer will be providing cam angles, ignition and fuel settings for the wrong cam. The biggest difference will be the cam angle where it will be as much as 20 degrees out. This is likely to leave a big hole in the torque curve as it does in the RSX-S.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondata
Power is made on the TSX from lowering the VTEC, advancing the cam angle and advancing the ignition. Fueling in the reflash is increased at high RPM to allow for intakes and headers.

Piggyback computers that I have seen, do not adjust the cam angle. Realise that if you lower the VTEC point with an external mechanism rather than from reprogramming the computer, the computer will be providing cam angles, ignition and fuel settings for the wrong cam. The biggest difference will be the cam angle where it will be as much as 20 degrees out. This is likely to leave a big hole in the torque curve as it does in the RSX-S.

Thanks for that info. Sounds like the iVTEC is a whole new tuning experience. Gues that leaves us waiting on a K-Pro for the TSX again.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

So is there any way to get the K reflashes to work in the 2005 TSX's, whether it be by the means of flashing the stock ECU, or having a 2004 TSX ECU flashed and using a jumper harness or something.

Also, anyone know how I would go about in making the cam angles adjust more (to move more than where they are mechanically maxed out at)?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Stokeless

Originally Posted by hondata

Yes but for going turbo it wont matter that much. Correct? I mean if I have a 120 whp boost a 15 whp hole in the power curve isnt gonna hurt my feelings. BUT IF there was a K PRO I would jump on it...HINT HINT sup HONDATA????
Old 08-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9900rpm
So is there any way to get the K reflashes to work in the 2005 TSX's, whether it be by the means of flashing the stock ECU, or having a 2004 TSX ECU flashed and using a jumper harness or something.

Also, anyone know how I would go about in making the cam angles adjust more (to move more than where they are mechanically maxed out at)?

According to Hondata a 2004 ECU will plug right into a 2005 TSX. The questions that I still don't have a good feel for is what is the most cost effective way to handle the immobilizer feature. Do you get a second immobilizer and set of keys for the other ECU . . .
Old 08-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Teh seX

JDMCL9T (a member of this board who has a prototype tsx)...

"I will be experimenting with the Greddy E-Manage Ultimate piggy-back computer along with a set of RC 550cc injectors. I was told by Greddy that the E-Manage Ultimate does work with DBW equipped cars so I will be trying this setup and will post the results. The only system that I know of that is guaranteed to work is the HKS F-CON V Pro but I don't know how many of you are willing to spend that kind of money. "

VAFC ii / E-manage/HKS F-Con V Pro...

which would be a better solution at this point since k-pro wont be out for a while?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Professional Newbie

Real noob question here, but...why do you guys all view the K-Pro as some sort of savior here? Just because it can manage a FI setup, or does it have other qualities that would be able to tune an I/H/E TSX better than the Relfash?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Real noob question here, but...why do you guys all view the K-Pro as some sort of savior here? Just because it can manage a FI setup, or does it have other qualities that would be able to tune an I/H/E TSX better than the Relfash?
Since no two TSX's are identical, the reflash is a generic tune. Specifically tuning for your car will yield more power. The real benefits of the K-Pro come when tuning a forced induction system or advanced NA mods such as cams, VTC, etc...
Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackTSXer
JDMCL9T (a member of this board who has a prototype tsx)...

"I will be experimenting with the Greddy E-Manage Ultimate piggy-back computer along with a set of RC 550cc injectors. I was told by Greddy that the E-Manage Ultimate does work with DBW equipped cars so I will be trying this setup and will post the results. The only system that I know of that is guaranteed to work is the HKS F-CON V Pro but I don't know how many of you are willing to spend that kind of money. "

VAFC ii / E-manage/HKS F-Con V Pro...

which would be a better solution at this point since k-pro wont be out for a while?

Where did he post this info and what were his time frames. I just tuned an eManage the other day for a guy. They are an ok systm and still better than the VAFC but if what Hondata is saying is accurate (Which i can't imagine it not being) then unless an eManage can control cam angle we may not see peak gains. YOu definitely need something to control timing whih the VAFC won't.

I have only heard mention of the HKS system but if it does it all for DBW, let me know someone that has used oen and I'd love to pick their brains.

The K-pro is made by acompany that knows Hondat tuning. The are cutting edge when it comes to reliable standalones for Hondas and even more so when we are talking about the ne generation of Honda engines. It isn't that they are the saviour alone but they are the best game in town and until someone produces results elsewhere possibly the ONLY game in town.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If the K-Pro for the TSX (when available) has the same features as the RSX's, then you can see why it's better than all piggybacks out there.

http://www.hondata.com/kmanager.html
Old 08-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTso
If the K-Pro for the TSX (when available) has the same features as the RSX's, then you can see why it's better than all piggybacks out there.

http://www.hondata.com/kmanager.html
I need to go change my shorts, and I don't even know what I'd do with half that crap.

One thing I've been wondering about recently: Has anybody actually used a HKS F-CON V on a TSX power plant before? The guy in the Socal meet thread was sure it would work well with his custom turbo system, but I've never heard of anybody using one. Seems as though if there was an aftermarket EMU available there would be people out there using it to do neat things and there aren't yet, unless I've missed it.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by rmpage
I need to go change my shorts, and I don't even know what I'd do with half that crap.

One thing I've been wondering about recently: Has anybody actually used a HKS F-CON V on a TSX power plant before? The guy in the Socal meet thread was sure it would work well with his custom turbo system, but I've never heard of anybody using one. Seems as though if there was an aftermarket EMU available there would be people out there using it to do neat things and there aren't yet, unless I've missed it.

well, considering most people who buy tsx's aren't enthusiasts like us, you realize there's about 30% left or less who may be into the tuning aspect. Only person that i know of who has tried to mess with FI was stokeless and he fried his ECU trying to use vafc. im sure sooner or later someone will try the hks f-con v. im also pretty sure it works, because i met some guy the other day who has the only hks exhaust made (i think). they made him a prototype exhaust, but didnt see a market for it so they dont really make it unless you want to pay for a special order.

anyways, he told me that the hks people are SURE it works. the dazz motorsports turbo 350 hp + tsx is using the f-con v (i think). It does work, but is anyone really willing to spend the money to get an AUTHORIZED HKS dealer to tune the f-con? factor in the price for a custom turbo kit that is made for the tsx as well as the f-con v, plus the money to tune it = $$$$..

If anyone is willing to do it .
Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Instructor

I just spent some time reading the HKS website and it is rediculous to think they want $1400 and then won't sell you the software to tune it yourself. I have the ability to tune myself and access to a dyno for free (trade for tuning help with a shop) so to not be able to tune it myself sucks. I like the Apex Power FC but it has the same problem except someone created a bootleg software to modify it (Plus it can be tuned from a handheld).

I'd probably pay a good bit for the HKS if I could tune it myself.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by Asahi
I just spent some time reading the HKS website and it is rediculous to think they want $1400 and then won't sell you the software to tune it yourself. I have the ability to tune myself and access to a dyno for free (trade for tuning help with a shop) so to not be able to tune it myself sucks. I like the Apex Power FC but it has the same problem except someone created a bootleg software to modify it (Plus it can be tuned from a handheld).

I'd probably pay a good bit for the HKS if I could tune it myself.

im hoping someone gets ahold of the f-con software
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,575 Posts
im hoping someone gets ahold of the f-con software
somebody start hacking
Old 08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
somebody start hacking

no joke.. someone, get to it..
Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Drives With Hands

So only authorized HKS dealers can tune the F-CON, correct? Hmm. And all this time I was thinking it was K-pro or nothing.

Lame if true. Make something to give the buyer increased flexibility and then rob them of the freedom to take it to their regular mechanics.

Hell, I'd pony up $1400 right this minute for an EMU just to get myself a custom tune, not even considering the possibility of FI.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

$1400 is not a bad price, thinking that a K-pro is $1000 (granted i have the reflash so i would have "wasted" 600, or an upgade to k-pro for like 400).........i wonder what exactly is the program..... cause i'm sure a few members will be willing to give it a try...... even i would consider it, and many reflashed people would consider it if we could tune it ourselves..... maybe someone email hks and find out y they aren't allowing us to tune it and if there is a possibility that we can tune it....
Old 08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Teh seX

ok .. someone.. get on it
Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

anyways, he told me that the hks people are SURE it works. the dazz motorsports turbo 350 hp + tsx is using the f-con v (i think). It does work, but is anyone really willing to spend the money to get an AUTHORIZED HKS dealer to tune the f-con? factor in the price for a custom turbo kit that is made for the tsx as well as the f-con v, plus the money to tune it = $$$$..

If anyone is willing to do it .
There is no way in the world I would remotely consider buying the F-Con if only an authorized dealer can tune it. It's like buying a nice car and not able to drive it. What would be the point? If HKS could figure it out how to make it work for the TSX, I'm sure Hondata could too.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

In case anyone still wants to give it a try...

http://www.boomslang.us
Old 09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha.. you seem to be the most adventurous and mechanical, I say we wait for you to do it.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:41 AM

I am to lazy to read the thread and I am the original poster of this but wont it cost almost as much as getting the reflash to get this harness and the VAFCII
Old 09-22-2005, 10:43 AM

wait i just noticed that is says emanage on there so does that mean we could use the greddy emanage system with the tsx
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
wait i just noticed that is says emanage on there so does that mean we could use the greddy emanage system with the tsx
Yes, with the boomslang adapter. This also means a turbo kit for the tsx should be much more in reach now, since it could be run off the emage for engine management.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice find Johnny. If I didn't have the reflash, I would definitely consider giving this a try.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Stokeless

I would use a VAFC before an Emanage....but im still waitin on a k pro.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

If the '05 reflash doesn't appear, at least this might be an option.... I had a VAFC on my Prelude, and I mostly used it to lower the VTEC point. Worked. Not a perfect solution, kind of a hack if you ask me, but I couldn't deny the results -- it was a tad faster, pulling harder in the midrange. Everyone said you should tune the fuel mapping, which would cost so much that I didn't think it was worth it. Besides, I think the ECU will just screw with it. (After all, regardless of what you try to do with the air flow sensor data, it'll keep putting things so that it gets the same a/f ratio out the tailpipe... The question that I had was, can I trust that the computer figures out that I lowered the VTEC point and adds enough gas so that it doesn't run lean?)
Old 09-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Will the emanage ultimate still run the traction control and the standard gauges?

thanks
Rod
Old 09-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Drives With Hands

^^ The stock ECU would still control those things, so they shouldn't be affected I would think.
Originally Posted by vidgamer
Besides, I think the ECU will just screw with it.
Exactly the reason why I would wait and see what VAFC does on a TSX before trying it (and anyway, I'm already reflashed, so my curiousity is purely academic at this point). The i-VTEC ECU is just too well engineered and so damn smart to get played. You can try to "trick" it into doing what you want my faking a sensor reading, but remember that there is a large number of sensors feeding the ECU, all of which it uses to derive its fuel/air settings. Changing one or two of them is probably only going to make it run worse, and the ECU will just adapt to "fix" the problem, ruining your custom settings in the process.

A company like Hondata, on the other hand, actually takes the time to be thorough and reverse-engineer the ECU for this exact vehicle from the ground up. They don't just ignore the millions of dollars and thousands of hours that Honda spent in the design of the engine, they figure out what they did, and they work with it, not against it. Basically they take the time to do the job right. And since you get to keep all the capabilities of the stock ECU, there's no concern about the gauges, AC, DBW or VSA not working.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Got a Response.....from Boomslang

Stephen,

You only need the e-Manage and the appropriate harness to make it work in your TSX. It is fully plug and play. You will have to take the e-Manage and your TSX to a qualified engine tuner for tuning on a dyno. On a stock car, you will not have much of a benefit. It’s more for the force induction/modified applications. Thanks.

Regards,
Rustin
Boomslang Fabrication
Old 02-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Stokeless

so whats up

anyone try this yet?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't see the TSX harness on their site anymore... Maybe it doesn't work.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:42 PM

well I was just looking on Kingmotorsports again today and there is a new harness listed for the tsx on the site now. It is also listed on boomslang again. I would love to try this but dont want to fry my ecu.

http://kingmotorsports.com/product.a...63&vehicle=TSX
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've heard the K Series ECUs are very resistent to piggyback systems.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:06 PM

so will I still be able to use it to monitor the engine and all those other functions though.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Could this be the answer 05 ATs are looking for? Im a total n00b about this, but on the surface, it looks pretty cool. If they've specifically got a harness for the TSX, I would imagine someone has already tried this.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 PM

sent an email to boomslang asking if they have tested the VAFC2 on a tsx with there harness and this is the reply I got from them.

We've thoroughly tested the VAFC2 on the TSX and have many such harnesses in
operation on customer vehicles.

Regards,
Rustin
Boomslang Fabrication
Old 04-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Burning Brakes

as mentioned previously. The vafc is a waste of time for k-series engine cars. The ecu is able to make adjustments and re-learn and ultimately discount what the piggy back is telling it (or so I've been told). Gains may be seen initially, but they will quickly dissapear.

Quick Reply: May be able to use VAFC after all with this