Fidanza - Officially making a lightweight flywheel (PICS pg 4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by moda_way
^^Not to mention you have hella good prices on ACT 4 and 6 puck clutch kits.
what's the difference between 4 puck and 6 puck?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by godfather2
I believe the material and clamping force from the pressure plate. Excelerate should be able to give more details.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by godfather2
IIRC, the less pucks you have the harder it will be to engage smoothly (harder to control slippage).
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

FYI, I just received a note that my flywheel very well could be on my doorstep next week.

Reminder, Josh (Excelerate) is also trying to gauge interest, so don't forget to go HERE if you are.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

FYI to all, my Fidanza flywheel just arrived. I'll have pictures of it and my AT1-HG6 clutch kit up soon.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Here are the pics for comparison:

OEM Flywheel:

Crank Side

Transmission Side

Fidanza Flywheel:

Crank Side

Transmission Side

ACT AT1-HG6 Clutch Kit and OEM Release Bearing:

Old 06-27-2007, 09:01 PM
-Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Does the OE TSX flywheel use a bearing at all?

My Accord OEM had a small bushing, for the Al flywheel they replaced that with a small bearing - held in place for install with lock tight.

Else looks good, dear heavens how will you ever manage that clutch on a daily driver it looks massive

Have any ideas yet about what shop will be doing the install?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MrChad
Does the OE TSX flywheel use a bearing at all?

My Accord OEM had a small bushing, for the Al flywheel they replaced that with a small bearing - held in place for install with lock tight.

Else looks good, dear heavens how will you ever manage that clutch on a daily driver it looks massive

Have any ideas yet about what shop will be doing the install?
I know about the small bearing (parts list calls it a bushing) as well and I wasn't sure if I needed to get it. Its like $4, so I'll ask about it. I got the release bearing which is what normally comes in the clutch kits. I'm assuming because this is so new, they don't have one sourced, so I got the OEM one (same as the Accord). The release bearing, for those that don't know the difference, sits on top of the clutch release fork.

As for who, a specific person at Acura has said they will do it. We can talk about who via email if you want to know specifics.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I go to pick up my car with all of this installed finally. Only issue is, I have a bad driver's side axle. I'll post up as soon as I get home.

EDIT:

Just got back from getting the Fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch put on. Guess all the "watch out for" stuff was way to much hype. If you just did the flywheel and an OEM clutch, the spool up and decel is definitely noticeable, but not in any way obtrusive. The clutch on the other hand is SWEET. It does everything ppl talk about (being a 6 puck and aggressive material), but easily learned within a short drive. The clutch pedal is much tighter, but I like that.

FYI, someone on here mentioned that you don't have to drop the subframe to do this. Its true. The Helm's manual tells you how to remove the tranny, but to do this mod, it is much more simple. So you still need to remove the axles and what not, but you can move the tranny around enough to do the swap without having to drop the subframe. on this mod.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Ryan. I will get you pricing on those axles tomorrow.

Anyone looking for this flywheel we are doing an introductory GB for $300 shipped. Also I am still workign with ACT to get a full face disc made up so it won't be as grabby as the 4 or 6 puck. As you can see though the 6 puck is streetable as Ryan can attest to.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Thanks for the feedback Ryan. I will get you pricing on those axles tomorrow.

Anyone looking for this flywheel we are doing an introductory GB for $300 shipped. Also I am still workign with ACT to get a full face disc made up so it won't be as grabby as the 4 or 6 puck. As you can see though the 6 puck is streetable as Ryan can attest to.
Looking forward to the quote on the axles. 60 mph and above is getting rough.

Just to back up what Josh is saying, the 6 puck is definitely what you want for those hard launches now and then, yet still be manageable on a day-to-day basis. I honestly like a tighter car, coming from a BMW 325i 5MT. This feels comparable from a stiffness perspective. This ACT clutch grabs like a mother even when baby'ing it, but again, it is for those of us who like some sport, but don't want the demands of a full sport clutch.

EDIT:

More importantly, do the flywheel if you are going to do the clutch. It is TOTALLY worth it. To reiterate, the accel and decel are not like the nightmarish stories we've heard. It is very manageable. Remember folks, I tote around my two sons, 3 yrs old and 6 mths old, I wouldn't put anything on my car that would make them uncomfortable.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by TSXnTEX
what the hell is a flywheel and why is it so cool that there is a lightweight one now?
A flywheel is a large metal disc attached to the transmission end of the crankshaft. It serves two purposes: one, it has a flat surface to which the clutch applies pressure to connect the engine and transmission; and two, it has teeth around its circumference that the starter motor engages to crank the engine when starting.

Only cars with manual transmissions have flywheels. A lighter one allows the engine to accelerate and decelerate more quickly than a heavy one -- thus, it improves a car's acceleration and throttle response.

Don't let these guys make you feel bad for asking questions, that is what this site is about.