Fidanza - Officially making a lightweight flywheel (PICS pg 4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrChad
Any word on if you will need to balance this flywheel with the clutch pressure plate - OEM or not?

Was checking their FAQ link and such looking for part numbers etc. on my Accord flywheel and 2.1 clutch kit to verify all the items from my recent order belong together.

Their FAQ recommends balancing the flywheel and clutch pressure plate at a machine shop that does this kind of work.

I knew a place back in Ohio that did this for me when I built 350-SBC but I have no flipping clue who to visit for this in Chicagoland.

I'll get you some picks of my Accord F23 kit later Moda, I figure the K24 kit should look similiar?

Else, I'll give them a call later...
I'll send a note off to my contact at Fidanza to see and to answer your other question on whether or not they manufacture their only pressure plate housings.

Looking forward to the pics.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts for my mighty Honda, woo hoo. At all of 150hp with this installed I may just be able to break a tire loose on wet pavement instead of just breaking wind....

flywheel & 2.1 pressure plate

flywheel Accord F23A1 Vtec.

flywheel Accord F23A1 back.

pressure plate disc...

throw out bearing, yippy...

It's no TSX kit, but I'd imagine it won't look much different...

Our TSX is an Auto, so it don't need no stinking clutches.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Suzuka Master

What, no pics of the friction disc?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by moda_way
What, no pics of the friction disc?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Suzuka Master

^^Thanks!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

If putting on a lighter flywheel causes such an acceleration difference, why is it not mentioned as a modification more frequently? My friend has a 350z, and he found the fidanza wheel to be worth it. While I realize fidanza is just making one now for the TSX, are there other light ones out there and has anyone used them on their TSX?

How difficult is it to replace the flywheel (time, labor cost)? I assume if you are changing the clutch anyway, it is also easy to do the flywheel at the same time.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Parts for my mighty Honda, woo hoo. At all of 150hp with this installed I may just be able to break a tire loose on wet pavement instead of just breaking wind....

flywheel Accord F23A1 Vtec.

flywheel Accord F23A1 back.

It's no TSX kit, but I'd imagine it won't look much different...

Our TSX is an Auto, so it don't need no stinking clutches.
We just did a Exedy Clutch/Fidanza flywheel on a 00 Accord 4 cyl. You're going to have drill out those holes on the flywheel. That flywheel is made for hte Prelude/Acura CL. The flywheel bolts are slightly thicker on the Accord and that is why Fidanza doesn't list the Accord as an application specifically. It does bolt up fine and does work fine but you will need to have those holes drilled out to something slightly larger. I believe the Accord bolts were just shy of .45" in diameter.

On a side note that flywheel wsa 8 lbs so expect the TSX to defintely be less than 10 lbs.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VCman123
If putting on a lighter flywheel causes such an acceleration difference, why is it not mentioned as a modification more frequently? My friend has a 350z, and he found the fidanza wheel to be worth it. While I realize fidanza is just making one now for the TSX, are there other light ones out there and has anyone used them on their TSX?

How difficult is it to replace the flywheel (time, labor cost)? I assume if you are changing the clutch anyway, it is also easy to do the flywheel at the same time.

Thanks.
Previous to Fidanza, Exedy had a kit, but it is for the RSX Type S and requires you to put the Flywheel on with the clutch kit. A few members here did it. Comptech made an OEM TSX flywheel, but, well, they're out of business now. Fidanza to my knowledge is now the only ppl making a TSX specific application.

If you are replacing the clutch, that is the time to do it. Fidanza will also be making a clutch kit, but they haven't given me any information about it, just that it will happen.

ACT also makes a TSX specific clutch kit. Excelerate has all the info you need.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Excelerate
We just did a Exedy Clutch/Fidanza flywheel on a 00 Accord 4 cyl. You're going to have drill out those holes on the flywheel. That flywheel is made for hte Prelude/Acura CL. The flywheel bolts are slightly thicker on the Accord and that is why Fidanza doesn't list the Accord as an application specifically. It does bolt up fine and does work fine but you will need to have those holes drilled out to something slightly larger. I believe the Accord bolts were just shy of .45" in diameter.

On a side note that flywheel wsa 8 lbs so expect the TSX to defintely be less than 10 lbs.
This is the first I've heard of this. The '00 Prelude H2.2L and '00 Accord F2.3L use the same crank flange bolts Honda part no. 90011-PH3-000

Several guys over at everything-Honda.com have had no issues on a their 6th gen coupes either? Same combo Exedy clutch-Fidanza wheel 191221. I'm an odd ball in also using the Fidnaza clutch which was hard to find IMO.

Are you sure you had the right flywheel part no. I called Fidanza to confirm this part number and any special issues with them. This was not stated. It is a tight fit and they did state a hot plate or torch may be needed to heat and expand the Al so the wheel will be within tolerance when you fit the parts.

Not wanting to call you wrong or anything, but I mean if Honda lists the same parts?

And the real kicker...
Accord 97 F2.2L can use flywheel & gen 4 Lude.
22100-PT7-013 OR
22100-PT7-003

Accord 98-00 F2.3L use flywheel
22100-PT7-013

Prelude 00 H2.2L use flywheel
22100-PT7-003

Since the F and H share the same Honda flywheels and flange bolts and clutch plate bolts are all 12mm it would appear flywheels are interchangeable and the same, at least from a parts book point of view...?

Now Fidanza does list a unique flywheel for the 88-89 Lude. 191121

Which holes are you refering too BTW?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor

This is the first I've heard of this. The '00 Prelude H2.2L and '00 Accord F2.3L use the same crank flange bolts Honda part no. 90011-PH3-000

Several guys over at everything-Honda.com have had no issues on a their 6th gen coupes either? Same combo Exedy clutch-Fidanza wheel 191221. I'm an odd ball in also using the Fidnaza clutch which was hard to find IMO.

Are you sure you had the right flywheel part no. I called Fidanza to confirm this part number and any special issues with them. This was not stated. It is a tight fit and they did state a hot plate or torch may be needed to heat and expand the Al so the wheel will be within tolerance when you fit the parts.

Not wanting to call you wrong or anything, but I mean if Honda lists the same parts?

Which holes are you refering too BTW?
I'm referring to the flywheel bolts. I even asked Moda's contact, Shawn, and he said that they didn't have it listed on their application guide too for some reason that he couldn't remember. Well we found out when we did the install. It's not a big deal. If you would to heat that up you could try it but I personally would rather drill it out b/c it was a few hundredths of an inch. That was the case with our 2001 Accord EX 4 cyl. You will see. Compare the size of the hole on the stock flywheel to the Fidanza and there is a difference. I know the Acura CL has the F22/F23 and that is what the Accord has. I have a 99 Accord LX 4 cyl F23A1. But the flywheel bolts didn't fit. It was minimal drilling but the holes had to be enlarged.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:09 PM
kai!

Previous to Fidanze, Exedy had a kit, but it is for the RSX Type S and requires you to put the Flywheel on with the clutch kit. A few members here did it. Comptech made an OEM TSX flywheel, but, well, they're out of business now. Fidanza to my knowledge is now the only ppl making a TSX specific application.

If you are replacing the clutch, that is the time to do it. Fidanza will also be making a clutch kit, but they haven't given me any information about it, just that it will happen.

ACT also makes a TSX specific clutch kit. Excelerate has all the info you need.
I've got the Exedy Stage 1 and Racing Flywheel setup in my car. I believe from what I remember when I had the car with the stock setup up compared to now my car accelerates a lot faster and definately revs quicker. Deceleration doesn't seem that bad to me. I didn't really drive with the stock setup for too long (long story ) and I haven't taken a ride in anyone else's stock setup since the change. Next time i meet up vincent (vthree) ill compare with his car.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by n1ke5h
I've got the Exedy Stage 1 and Racing Flywheel setup in my car. I believe from what I remember when I had the car with the stock setup up compared to now my car accelerates a lot faster and definately revs quicker. Deceleration doesn't seem that bad to me. I didn't really drive with the stock setup for too long (long story ) and I haven't taken a ride in anyone else's stock setup since the change. Next time i meet up vincent (vthree) ill compare with his car.
I think I'm going to enjoy it, though the wifey probably won't. She hates my acceleration and braking now.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I'm referring to the flywheel bolts. I even asked Moda's contact, Shawn, and he said that they didn't have it listed on their application guide too for some reason that he couldn't remember. Well we found out when we did the install. It's not a big deal. If you would to heat that up you could try it but I personally would rather drill it out b/c it was a few hundredths of an inch. That was the case with our 2001 Accord EX 4 cyl. You will see. Compare the size of the hole on the stock flywheel to the Fidanza and there is a difference. I know the Acura CL has the F22/F23 and that is what the Accord has. I have a 99 Accord LX 4 cyl F23A1. But the flywheel bolts didn't fit. It was minimal drilling but the holes had to be enlarged.
If the bolts don't fit the Accord they don't fit any Honda H/F series application then since they all use the same flywheel bolts...90011-PH3-000

I was planning on picking up a set of flywheel bolts new for the install that right there should explain it on a dry fit. But like I said you are the first person I know that needed to enlarge the holes.

Or are you talking about the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel, those are unique. If the Accord ones don't fit simply order a Prelude set. The Accord and Prelude share the pressure plate bolt pattern.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I also just added a Toda 8.8 lb flywheel vs.OEM 15.5 lbs and ACT clutch both for a RSX. The car screams to the 7600 Hondata reflashed redline and is very drivable in traffic. Just like the type R's it should have come with a lightweight flywheel. I was told all the horror storys of lightweight flywheels but they were wrong. I just love it !! The car even starts up quicker.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

^^Glad to hear this. I've heard the same horror stories and I'm sure there is a bit of an adjustment period, but I just can't avoid this mod.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another horror story that I've heard is the "chatter" associated with lightened flywheels.

Is this true for all lightened flywheels?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by [url="#"
TSX[/url] 3Pedal]Another horror story that I've heard is the "chatter" associated with lightened flywheels.

The only thing I've heard about concerning chatter is from a poorly seated clutch. The break-in process for a performance clutch is critical and one piece of advice I've seen is to absolutely concentrated on breaking in the clutch correctly.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

If the bolts don't fit the Accord they don't fit any Honda H/F series application then since they all use the same flywheel bolts...90011-PH3-000

I was planning on picking up a set of flywheel bolts new for the install that right there should explain it on a dry fit. But like I said you are the first person I know that needed to enlarge the holes.

Or are you talking about the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel, those are unique. If the Accord ones don't fit simply order a Prelude set. The Accord and Prelude share the pressure plate bolt pattern.
I don't know what to tell you. I was just trying to help. I was telling you my personal experience with doing this job a few days ago. I'm not talking about the PP to flywheel bolts.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I don't know what to tell you. I was just trying to help. I was telling you my personal experience with doing this job a few days ago. I'm not talking about the PP to flywheel bolts.
Thanks, didn't mean to sound so crabby. Just in looking at all the F/H series combos it would appear there are 3 basic types of flywheels for the F22/23 and H22/23.

For lack of a better term I'll refer to them in short hand.
98-02 Accords used an 013 type.
92-01 Ludes all used an 005 or 003 type (interchangable all engines)
92-97 Accords all used an 003 or 013 type (interchangalbe all 4cyl engines.)
And all 3 OEM flywheels used the 90011-PH3-000 bolts.

Which would lead one to conclude, that all 3 flywheels use the same bolt tolerance.

My gut feel about the above is likely more to do with flywheel mass then tolerance. The F23 Accord being the most stroked of all engines that may mean one of the other lighter wheels isn't as desirable from an OEM point of veiw. However I can't see the masses so to speak.

I'll keep you posted I ordered a complete new set of Honda OEM flywheel bolts today from an online dealer. I'll do a dry fit and let you know. If they don't fit, I'll give Fidanza a call. Else I could always have the holes honed when I take the flywheel and pressure plate in for balancing.

Thanks for the input, LOL.

This could be useful for all future TSX flywheels as well as if the Accord/Lude wheel is a tight fit likely so too would the TSX wheel.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I did a lookup on the Honda Parts Catalog. Here's what I found:

The Accord and Prelude now both reference using 22100-PT7-013 as the replacement flywheel, which weighs in at 18.56 lbs

The Prelude has a unique part number of 22100-P13-005 (as stated above, this number is now obsolescened) weighing in at 19.23 lbs

They both share a superceded 22100-PT7-003. Now this is the weight that confuses me and makes me think it is a typo. The catalog has it weighing in at 6.1lbs. I'm willing to bet it should be 19.32 lbs.

The Prelude also has about 5 other part numbers, not shared with the Accord. And as you know MrChad, both were JPN and USA made throughout their manufactured life.

So now that this thread has been , we should keep it on topic. I just received an email from my Fidanza contact that everything is on-schedule.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
Another horror story that I've heard is the "chatter" associated with lightened flywheels.

I did not experience any type of "chatter" at all. The car sounds normal.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM
kai!

explain chatter...i dont think i have any chatter, everything seems perfect so far in my setup
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

The Prelude also has about 5 other part numbers, not shared with the Accord. And as you know MrChad, both were JPN and USA made throughout their manufactured life.

received an email from my Fidanza contact that everything is on-schedule.
I know the Accord was made in both US and JPN, not sure about the Lude -- I thought it was always JPN only per it's low volumes. For a short period of time the Accord Wagon 5th gen was ONLY made in the US (Marysville) and it was then shipped back to Japan. I miss the wagon....

Bring it back..as a TSX wagon
Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

I know the Accord was made in both US and JPN, not sure about the Lude -- I thought it was always JPN only per it's low volumes. For a short period of time the Accord Wagon 5th gen was ONLY made in the US (Marysville) and it was then shipped back to Japan. I miss the wagon....

Bring it back..as a TSX wagon
You're right, I think the Lude was only JPN.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Instructor

what the hell is a flywheel and why is it so cool that there is a lightweight one now?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXnTEX
what the hell is a flywheel and why is it so cool that there is a lightweight one now?
if you have an automatic, you don't really even need to know
Old 04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Ummm...

And like godfather said, if you've got an AT this wouldn't concern you anyway .
Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Ummm...

And like godfather said, if you've got an AT this wouldn't concern you anyway .
Why google, thought thats what this site was for, to share information. So many people on here love to jump to the GOOGLE or SEARCH answer on this site I have noticed.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Why google, thought thats what this site was for, to share information. So many people on here love to jump to the GOOGLE or SEARCH answer on this site I have noticed.
Yes, the forum is to share info. But not to REPEAT 1000 times a day.

Search the basic info and read at least, then ask SPECIFIC question. People should keep those "Why's my iVTEC not kicking in; or can AT use light-weight flywheel; or Can I turbo the TSX" to themselves.

If you have a 5AT, the best to look for is re-inforce Torque Convertor, it has the similar effect of light-weight flywheel but not exactly the same.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the chatter is associated more with the clutch then the lightweight flywheel. When I had the Integra, I put a JUN lightweight flywheel (approx. 11 lbs) and an Exedy stage I clutch. I didn't have chatter at all. With my Prelude, I also put a JUN lightweight flywheel (also approx. 11 lbs), but I put Exedy stage II clutch in with this one. Occassionally, I get a little chatter during normal driving.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

How would the Fidanza flywheel compare to the Comptech flywheel...I know they're out of business now, but how would they have compared?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Suzuka Master

How would the Fidanza flywheel compare to the Comptech flywheel...I know they're out of business now, but how would they have compared?
Compared to what? They're both lightweight. Comptech claims their's is 5lbs lighter than the stock, but claim its 10.5lbs. Well if it was truly 5lbs lighter, then it would be 15.15lbs based on my recent measurements and the Parts Catalog.

Fidanza will probably be under 10lbs (pure speculation on my part) and will have a replaceable friction surface. These are 2 attributes the Comptech doesn't have to the best of my knowledge.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Beyond a lightweight flywheel/clutch replacement, will there be anything else we'll need to upgrade in order to recognize significant acceleration/deceleration gains?

Also, would these components be strong enough to handle the additional hp/tq output from a high boost S/C?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Beyond a lightweight flywheel/clutch replacement, will there be anything else we'll need to upgrade in order to recognize significant acceleration/deceleration gains?

Also, would these components be strong enough to handle the additional hp/tq output from a high boost S/C?
The only other item that you should replace with this is the throwout bearing.

The flywheel and clutch kits are typically designed for cars with output under 400 whp. The one thing you'll want to focus on is the friction disc material and the clamping force of the pressure plate. I'm not able to get a Fidanza clutch due to timing, but I know the ACT 4-puck kit that Excelerate is selling is plenty adequate for all of the currently mentioned FI applications.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

The only other item that you should replace with this is the throwout bearing.

The flywheel and clutch kits are typically designed for cars with output under 400 whp. The one thing you'll want to focus on is the friction disc material and the clamping force of the pressure plate. I'm not able to get a Fidanza clutch due to timing, but I know the ACT 4-puck kit that Excelerate is selling is plenty adequate for all of the currently mentioned FI applications.
All Aluminum flywheels have a friction plate of either plain carbon steel or iron, Al is too soft for a friction disc. The Comptech plate has to have some wear surface, that is either riveted or screwed on. Else if the Comptech flywheel isn't Al, it could be a light weight steel unit, in that case you simply resurface the flywheel direct down the road.

If you can find a deal on Comptech flywheel buy it, how long do you really plan to keep this TSX, more then 2-3 clutches? A new Comptech flywheel should last at least 75-100k mi.

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference inside the car between a Comptech or Fidanza wheel, both will be much lighter then stock by a great deal.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

The flywheel and clutch kits are typically designed for cars with output under 400 whp. The one thing you'll want to focus on is the friction disc material and the clamping force of the pressure plate. .
Flywheels don't care about HP numbers, it's a rotating disc.

400hp is nothing for a v8 or FI v6 car. But a 400hp 4-banger honda, that's a nice motor :P
Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

All Aluminum flywheels have a friction plate of either plain carbon steel or iron, Al is too soft for a friction disc. The Comptech plate has to have some wear surface, that is either riveted or screwed on. Else if the Comptech flywheel isn't Al, it could be a light weight steel unit, in that case you simply resurface the flywheel direct down the road.

If you can find a deal on Comptech flywheel buy it, how long do you really plan to keep this TSX, more then 2-3 clutches? A new Comptech flywheel should last at least 75-100k mi.

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference inside the car between a Comptech or Fidanza wheel, both will be much lighter then stock by a great deal.

I fully understand a 100% aluminum flywheel won't work. The point of that response was to discuss the differences.

Just like anyone, Comptech has all the information, but I've done the work for you:

Lightweight Chromoly-Steel One-Piece Flywheel
Heat-Treated so re-surfacing will not affect durability
Weight: 10.5 lbs. (5lbs. lighter than factory flywheel)
Application: 04-07 Acura TSX
Installation time: 9 hours +/-
As for flywheels not caring about the HP, that wasn't my point. I was talking about the clamping force of the pressure plate and friction disk material. Those obviously are designed for specific applicaiton.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Flywheels don't care about HP numbers, it's a rotating disc.

400hp is nothing for a v8 or FI v6 car. But a 400hp 4-banger honda, that's a nice motor :P
You haven't been around enough to know that there is a company working on a streetable 360hp FI kit.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 PM
-Mike

moda have you installed yet?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by yungwunn911
moda have you installed yet?

Page 1, the timeline. They haven't even manufactured one yet to my knowledge. I believe the CNC programming is done and they simply have the manufacturing to do. I know they are very busy with other projects too, but I'm fairly certain it will be on my TSX with the ACT clutch kit by June.

Quick Reply: Fidanza - Officially making a lightweight flywheel (PICS pg 4)