Will the 2009 TSX reduce the resale value of my 2007 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Will the 2009 TSX reduce the resale value of my 2007 TSX?

Wondered what you guys think about how the 2009 TSX will affect prior model years of TSX? I just bought a certified pre-owned 2007 TSX with about 9500 miles. I really, really enjoy it! My previous car was a Pontiac Grand Am so I took a nice step forward. My Grand Am was dying off so I couldn't hold out for the 2009 TSX. But part of the reason I purchased a TSX was for resale value. I may have the need to sell it in a couple years and I know the resale is good on it but now I am worried the appearance of the new 2009 TSX may take the resale value down....

What think you?
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:13 PM
it's a car-drive it

it might bring the value up-depends what the new one looks like and how much it will cost. some things become in demand when you can no longer get them.,
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:14 PM
Racer

Of course a new TSX will reduce the resale value of your 2007--but so will the additional 2 years of age. Looks alone don't determine resale value, though--your 2007 will still be a very reliable vehicle, and that will do quite a bit to keep its value up. Who knows, though, maybe a newly designed TSX will renew interest/attention to the model in general, and raise resale values. Like I said, the only thing you can count on is the fact that you own an extremely reliable and popular Honda/Acura.

I hope you're not in a financial situation where you're depending on the value of your depreciating asset (your car)...
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:15 PM
Instructor

I think anytime there is a body change-over that the old body style takes a hit, but that is true of every make and model. Overall, the TSX should do much better than most in holding its value.

FWIW, I was looking to trade my '06 Silver/Ebony TSX, w/Auto and Nav, 45K miles, in and the best offer I got was $19.5K. It looks new thanks to Patrick at Excel Detail so I was surprised at how soft the market is currently.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jswim99
I hope you're not in a financial situation where you're depending on the value of your depreciating asset (your car)...
No, it wouldn't be a financial situation. I've got a good job now so that is fine but have thought in a year or two may want to go back to school at which time I'd have to unload the car if I could. If I couldn't I'd just have to keep working.

That's all really.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with you guys, overall the TSX is very reliable and has a good resale (even if it takes a hit a bit). I'll be able to sell it than a lot of other vehicles.

Plus, I figure, the 2009 TSX must go up at least a bit in value - more HP, AWD, redesign, etc. Plus a lot of people can't afford to just go buy a new car so pre-owned ones will still have some value.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:28 PM
Racer

You should be fine. Look at the MDX market. The #2 vehicle for Acura was redesigned last year, but the 1st gen MDX is still in very high demand. Some people like the old body style better. Plus it's still in alot of people's budgets.

As a side not, that's why I always lease. (buy what appreciates and lease what depreciates) It's always worked for me. Some people think they don't want to lease because then they never own anything. But those same people turn right around and take out a loan so the bank owns the car for five years. Alot of people don't keep their cars for more than 3 years anyway. With the current TSX lease program, one could do a 20k/year lease and still be cheaper than a typical 5 year loan payment.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by White92
You should be fine. Look at the MDX market. The #2 vehicle for Acura was redesigned last year, but the 1st gen MDX is still in very high demand. Some people like the old body style better. Plus it's still in alot of people's budgets.

As a side not, that's why I always lease. (buy what appreciates and lease what depreciates) It's always worked for me. Some people think they don't want to lease because then they never own anything. But those same people turn right around and take out a loan so the bank owns the car for five years. Alot of people don't keep their cars for more than 3 years anyway. With the current TSX lease program, one could do a 20k/year lease and still be cheaper than a typical 5 year loan payment.
Yeah. I drive a lot - or tend to - and that is why I didn't consider leasing. Plus one of my friends was saying he leased an Audi and when he went to give it back they gave him a hard time, made him pay for things that were just part of car life (little nicks and things). They wanted him to pay for a new paint job just for little wear marks. Looking back I should have considered leasing more of an option.

Good points on previous generations. I agree they can be more in someone's budget plus they can get a great, reliable car for less than the cost of new. I guess it's not like the pre-2009 TSX's will all of a sudden be chopped liver....