Where to disconnect XM tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005 | 01:41 PM
Instructor

Where to disconnect XM tuner?

I have been having an intermittent problem with my Blitzsafe for iPod unit where I cannot always switch over to the Blitzsafe unit. I spoke to technical support at Blitzsafe who suggested I use a Y-harness (which they have already sent me) and to disconnect the XM tuner so no there is no bleeding of the signal through the unit. My question therefore is where would I disconnect the XM? Is it in the trunk? I saw a connection towards the upper back left of the trunk that I thought may be it, but it would be nice to know for sure.
Old 11-10-2005 | 08:04 AM
Instructor

I've got some pictures that perhaps someone can interpret for me. I no longer think the connection is in the trunk (or if it is, I can't find it).

This first one is shooting up towards the bottom of the head unit. The plug on the right is the Blitzsafe unit. Is the blue plug on the left to disconnect XM or something else?

The other is with the cubby removed taking a shot straight in. In the middle of the picture are 2 blue plugs, each with many wires. The one on the left has more than the one on the right. Are either of these for XM?

Any help is really appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005 | 08:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Check the follow pdf out. It is for the USDM Accord, but it might be of some assistance.
USDM Accord XM
Old 11-10-2005 | 08:25 AM
Guinea Pig

The XM unit connects from the bottom of the HEad unit. There are 2 plugs that connect to the head unit, one on the rear, one on the bottom of the head unit. The plug on the bottom is the one you need. The XM box is located in the trunk on the right side behind the trunk lining between the fender and a metal wall behind the lining.
Old 11-10-2005 | 08:34 AM
Instructor

The plug on the bottom (shown on the right in my picture) I think is the one to which you are referring. That is the plug I originall removed to plug the Blitzsafe into. I then took the plug that was originally there and plugged that into the other end of the Blitzsafe. The issue is that sometimes the Aux button does not bring up the Blitzsafe. The tech folks at Blitzsafe said to use a Y-harness that plugs into the bottom of the head unit. The other 2 ends get the Bltizsafe unit and the existing plug that went into the bottom of the head unit. This works, but you get a muffled bleed of the XM. The tech said to disconnect XM (at the antenna?). I didn't know if any of these blue plugs in the area below the head unit or plugged into the rear of the head unit is what I need to disconnect or perhaps something in the trunk as you mentioned?
Old 11-10-2005 | 08:35 AM
Guinea Pig

The XM box is that box you can see in the corner of the trunk
Old 11-10-2005 | 09:04 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the diagrams all. These will be helpful. Assuming I can get to the receiver unit in the trunk, would you suggest I disconnect the XM radio harness, antenna, both or something else?

Also, is the harness that goes into the bottom of the radio strictly for XM or are there other items going through that? My point is should I just not connect that harness back into the Blitzsafe?
Old 11-10-2005 | 09:45 AM
Guinea Pig

If I remember correctly, I unplugged that one on the bottom and turned the car on to see what would happen and I lost my touch screen controls. The xm box in the trunk has a plug for the main power and signal wires. Then there are 2 other plugs I think....those are for the antenna. I don't see why you would need to disconnect...........

......You know what? I just reread your original post. The problem most likely isn't your factory TSX equipment. It's most likely a faulty Blitzsafe product. The reason you paid all that money for the Blitzsafe stuff is so you get your Ipod and keep XM. You shouldn't have disconnect anything to use it, and if you do, then Acura should repair whats defective on the TSx side. My guess is the shitzsafe adapter. They've been known to ship faulty stuffs and I have a feeling this may be a reaccuring issue with it since it's still new!

I can almost bet you won't be the last TSXer to have this issue.

But if you would like to know what that plug on the bottom of the HU does here is a diagram in the first post. https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/finally-i-have-xm-my-auxillary-input-my-05tsexw-navi-312281/
Old 11-10-2005 | 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

All you need to do is nix the XM signal (based on the Tech's info), so removing the antenna plug would do that.
Old 11-10-2005 | 09:53 AM
Instructor

The weird thing is it works probably 80-90% of the time. Wouldn't you think it either works all of the time or never? I cannot come up with any common theme when it doesn't work. I have had 2 of these units and they both did the same thing (actually the first one worked much less). Other people have gotten theirs to work with supposedly no issues. I think it may be a bit of a challenge to get to the XM unit in the trunk, so I would like to try to avoid that route.

The Blitzsafe has a lifetime warranty, so perhaps I'll live with it as is for now until they come out with their unit that will still allow XM to work and then make them swap it. Supposedly, it is coming out in a couple of weeks, although I have seen on other threads that this is been an ongoing saga, so who really knows.
Old 11-10-2005 | 10:12 AM
Guinea Pig

Maybe it's PIE that makes the adapter that works with xm.....Can't remember since i didn't use it. There is a unit that works with XM though.
Old 11-10-2005 | 12:53 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by CJams
Maybe it's PIE that makes the adapter that works with xm.....Can't remember since i didn't use it. There is a unit that works with XM though.
PIE
Old 11-10-2005 | 09:55 PM
Instructor

Well, I successfully got access to the XM unit in the trunk thanks to all of the help you guys provided. I unplugged the antenna, reconnected the Blitzsafe with using the Y-harness and everything seems to be working properly.

One follow-up question...when I hit the mode button on the steering wheel, it still cycles through the 2 XM modes, even though XM is disconnected (only sound that comes through is the iPod if it is playing). Is there anyway so the mode buttonon the steering wheel bypasses the XM modes when you cycle through? Perhaps through some connection or cutting some wires on the Y-harness? I'm guessing this is just the way it needs to be, but couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-11-2005 | 09:17 AM
Instructor

I think I can make my question a bit more specific. I saw the diagram of the plug on https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312281. If on the plug on the Y-harness that connects to the original harness that went into the head unit I cut the wires for XM (5, 6, 13 & 14), will that prevent the mode button on the steering wheel from trying to choose one of the XMs as you cycle through or would this be the same as disconnecting the antenna?