What don't you like about your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What don't you like about your TSX?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a TSX in the next 2 months. So, my question is....What don't you like about your car?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
The creaking noise from the dashboard/windshield area that is yet to be fixed. That's about it!
Old 01-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Race Director

nothing really, but 2 things, maybe the Tsx should've gotten s2000's engine and only that the Acura styling isn't as far from Honda styling too much, unlike Lexus/Toyota and Nissan/Infiniti. Or maybe not, just a thought that isn't the Toyota Corolla-S and the Lexus Is300 look similar from the rear? Also u know the 350Z and G35 coupe are similiar.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing really. I love my car. The only other thing I would want are heated mirrors.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

rattles!!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Racer

The most common quality complaint is rattles. Some have said their navigation system crashes every now and then, but I've never seen it. The most-requested new "feature" is more power, and sometimes a few requests for power passenger-side seat, one-touch sunroof, and heated mirrors.

I think it has sufficient power, but it would be a lot more fun if it had more power.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Registered AssHat

It doesn't give me blow jobs as I'm driving.

And in regards to the above comment of putting the S2000 engine in the TSX:

1) It wouldn't fit (S2000 is longitudially mounted)
2) With that little or torque, the TSX would be slower than it is now.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
It doesn't give me blow jobs as I'm driving.

And in regards to the above comment of putting the S2000 engine in the TSX:

1) It wouldn't fit (S2000 is longitudially mounted)
2) With that little or torque, the TSX would be slower than it is now.
oh really? i never knew the torque in the s2000. but, can u answer this one, how come the Accord Euro R gets 220hp, while us Tsx owners only get 200hp?
Old 01-17-2004, 04:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
oh really? i never knew the torque in the s2000. but, can u answer this one, how come the Accord Euro R gets 220hp, while us Tsx owners only get 200hp?
because ours is the euro accord type-s, not the type-r. And again, like with the s2000 engine, lack of torque would be anissue with the smaller displacement engine found in the accord type-r.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Stokeless

the fact that the paint seems to be extremely thin and i got lil rock knicks all over the freakin place
Old 01-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Old S2000 engine:
2.0L I-4
240HP @ 8300rpm, 153 ft-lbs. @ 7500rpm
20/26 mpg

New S2000 engine:
2.2L I-4,
240HP @ 7800rpm, 162 ft-lbs. @ 6500rpm,
20/25 mpg

TSX engine:
2.4L I-4
200HP @ 6800rpm, 166 ft-lbs @ 4500rpm,
21/29 mpg

Accord Euro-R engine:
2.0L I-4
217HP @ 8000rpm, 152 ft-lbs @ 6000rpm,
?/? mpg

Accord Executive engine:
2.4L I-4
187HP @ 6800rpm, 163 ft-lbs @ 4500rpm,
?/? mpg

What all this means it, the TSX has the most powerful engine in the lineup for the weight of the car. It is much more driveable and less race car like.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:17 PM
The Voice of Reason

It's not the touring (wagon) version. Recaro sport seats and a turbocharger would be nice, too. Oh, and Honda could provide heated mirrors like the Canadians get and move the washer nozzles to the hood so they don't get obstructed with ice. Otherwise, no complaints.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Bought my car two weeks ago. I liked it at first. but every day it grows on me more and more. Bad snow here today and it drove like a champ. Itsa very good quality car. I have a 03' TL-S also, so I think thats why I wasnt as enthused at first. I just cant get by the sound it makes when you accelerate. Its just sounds wimpy and four cylinder like ( I know its a four cylinder).
Old 01-17-2004, 07:56 PM
UK Spec

bob shiftright: do u know if the fron't lip on the touring would
fit normal TSX's? or is that a bumper?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Advanced

My list:
- minor rattles (gonna have dealer check it out)
- no driver seat memory
- poor FM reception

I'm satisfied with the power, cause having more would mean less mileage (just ask owners of G35). This car is solidly built, and well designed.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty happy with mine...No issues whatsover in 6K. Now that I think about it, I do have an issue afterall. I'm dying to wash it, looks like shit right now. The TSX is a great car IMO. I think the people with rattle problems drive around with the stereo off. I remember when the stereo got stolen out of my Jetta, I seemed to listen more intently to my surroundings. Just a thought, for what it's worth.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I was originally planning on buying an S2000, but now that winter is here, I've realized that I need something a bit more practical. I love the S2K to death, but for every reason I wanted to buy one, there was a reason I shouldn't. And after sitting in the TSX at the Detroit Auto Show, I'm sold on it. I instantly fell in love with the gauges, and the overall interior. Looks sharp on the outside as well. I can't wait to go and test drive one.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

My complaint: lack of memory seats and a power passenger seat. That's the only serious omission from my standpoint. I love the car, but I thought that Acura was skimping when it came to that detail.

I agree with Bob that I'd really like to see the wagon version over here. I'm getting tired of borrowing SUVs when I need to transport something large!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:34 PM
10th Gear

i love my TSX, but i wish the door locks would lock when you turn on the ignition and unlock when you turn off the ignition. i was use to it when i had my RAV4. other than that, car is perfect.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Intermediate

My dislikes, while numerous, are insignificant compared with what I like about the car:

Tires - give us something that is a little better on dry. We have to buy snows anyway, because the Michelin All Seasons, here in Canada, are really only good for three seasons.

Could use a dual memory position on the driver's seat

The odd rattle from the windshield and the trim

A CD readout should give the time remaining in a song ( I don't know why, but this bugs the hell out of me).

The tilt wheel should come down a bit further so that it is still low when the wheel telescopes out further.

Needs better shaped side mirrors - the shape does not give as good a rear view as other cars I have driven

It needs a tighter turning radius. I swear that our Honda Odyssey van has a tighter turning radius.

The sunroof switch should be on the roof, not beside the steering wheel.

The drivers seat moves slightly in certain positions.

Needs a holder (i.e., the one under the stereo) that holds six CD's, not five.

Needs coin holders that fit the Canadian one and two dollar coins.

Needs a steering wheel that is better to hold at the nine and three o'clock position, and also a steering wheel with a slightly smaller radius.

Turn indicators on the dash need to be in a more visible position. This can prove to be embarrassing as they stay on while you trundle down the highway.

Ideally, first and second gear ratios should be a little closer.

I find the design of the rims a little clunky. I much prefer the rims (BSA 178s) that I put on with my snows.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro

Originally posted by hjd73
The tilt wheel should come down a bit further so that it is still low when the wheel telescopes out further.

Needs a holder (i.e., the one under the stereo) that holds six CD's, not five.
- funny, I feel the wheel doesn't move up high enough to not obsure the instruments (including the turn signals) in the higher seating positions.

- you can fit the 6th CD jewelcase by removing the rubber mat in that compartment. I fit a couple of 12-pack neoprene wallets w/sleeves for 24 disc stoarge.

The two knobs the radio should have their functions switched. With the steering wheel buttons, you don't need the volume knob close by, and it's a bit of a reach to adjust the bass/treble. Also, a tap on any of the wheel radio buttons should turn the radio on.

As for things that would cost money to add...

- paddle shifters for the Sportshift
- better keyfob like VW or smart key like Prius and M-B
- Euro Accord option availablity (rain-sensing wipers, headlight washers, side moldings, park assist)
Old 01-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by kiteboy
- funny, I feel the wheel doesn't move up high enough to not obsure the instruments (including the turn signals) in the higher seating positions.
I wasn't very clear. My point about the wheel position related more to the fact that I want it lower (i.e., more vertical) rather than have a better view of the gauges. I have given up on viewing the tops of my gauges, given where I have the wheel.

Good point about the stereo controls. I never use the volume control on the console and am constantly fiddling with the Fade, balance etc.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Wow, I only thought of one thing I was mildly disappointed with but then I read HJD73's post and I agree with many points.

"A CD readout should give the time remaining in a song ( I don't know why, but this bugs the hell out of me). "
ME TOO! I miss that and other features from my Alpine XM unit that was in my old Accord.

"The sunroof switch should be on the roof, not beside the steering wheel." Yes! Took me forever to find it when I first got the car. I had to crack open the book.

"Turn indicators on the dash need to be in a more visible position. This can prove to be embarrassing as they stay on while you trundle down the highway." I can never see mine and I usually can't hear them either because of the stereo. I get a lot of attention driving my beautiful car (I've only see one other on the road in my city) and stress about looking like a dork!
--------------------------
My main issue is that with the underbody kit, dirty rain water gets on the top part of the side piece and (a) looks bad when you get in; and (b) gets my clothes dirty if I'm wearing a long coat or skirt. Also, I already have a rock chip on the hood. (Getting a clear bra soon.)

Oh yeah... My hubby, who's lower back is sore right now from cleaning out the garage so I can park my baby, complained yesterday that the passenger seat didn't have lumbar support/heat. I said "Too bad, honey.... this car is all about ME!"

Overall, the car is FABULOUS and I am SO happy!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:43 PM
TSX Bronco

Two features that I wish were on the TSX are:

1) Driver's side seat memory
2) Power passenger seat

Two features from my CL-S that I wish my TSX that I'm picking up this week had.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:09 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Huge turning radius
Sunroof switch location
500lbs too heavy
average tires
wheels are 15lbs too heavy (althought they are industructible)
Coin holder for canadian money (the red compartment does a fine job but still)
First and second gear ratio could be closer
Steering wheel could be smaller...

These are all minor things... Nothing that would make me regret my purchase...
Old 01-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Creaking between windshield and dash (should be fixed Wednesday), no heated outside mirrors.

Other than that, FUN to drive, averaging 29 mpg overall, waaaayyy to easy to , er, "fudge" the speed limit (as my one ticket in less than a month of ownership shows ;-)
Old 01-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally posted by gpsiir
Creaking between windshield and dash (should be fixed Wednesday), no heated outside mirrors.

Other than that, FUN to drive, averaging 29 mpg overall, waaaayyy to easy to , er, "fudge" the speed limit (as my one ticket in less than a month of ownership shows ;-)
I've mentioned before that I got a ticket the first night I had my TSX.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Instructor

The payments.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm really happy with my TSX and only have one pet peeve. Road noise. The car feels solid, lots of insulation. When cruising around my neighborhood it does a great job isolating you from the outside environment. But, when I get on the freeway and get up over say 50mph I hear a lot of road noise. OK, maybe not a LOT but definitely more than I expected. Its a combination of wind noise, tire noise, and the sound of other cars around me. Its louder than my wife's 99 Civic and louder than the Windstar that I commute to work in. I did not expect this from a "near-luxury" automobile. Anyone else notice this? I guess I also wish the audio system had an automatic volume adjustment for road noise (speed sensitive?) I realize this is like complaining about the mole on Cindy Crawfords lip (i.e. nit pick).
Old 01-19-2004, 10:30 AM
TSX Owner

Great car but;

1. lower steering wheel controls (a shade to high for me to easily use while driving), 2. Offer body side moldings for a little more door ding protection, 3. A little less rpm's in 6th gear for better road mileage. Nothing too major.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Lack of power.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Racer

My only significant dislikes, as mentioned by many others:
Rattles (mostly fixed now)
Poor radio reception -- Honda really dropped the ball here
Turning radius (only 'cause I end up having close calls with scraping my rims)
Key chain/fob banging against steering column

Sure the tires could be better, but I have something to look forward to down the road, when the infatuation wears off a bit (Yokohama AVS ES 100's probably)
Old 01-19-2004, 04:40 PM
101 years of heartache...

i would hav liked a v6 option. sure the i4 is remedial, but they really should hav included a choice of v-6 or i-4. also, was disappointed with the passenger door being manual, the typical import placement of the moonroof controls (i thought the germans and japanese were over putting the moonroof controls on the driver's side some time ago), and a little complaint about the yellowish white dash lights. white or even blue would look soooo great with the blue/white instrument panel. however, in the end, its got all the goodies needed all 4 27-29k.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Automobile Aficionado

- one touch open and close sunroof....all acuras are in need of this
- lighted button controls on steering wheel
- and acouple million bucks in the trunk

oh and a less restrictive exhaust system....after examining it you wonder how much power is being held back.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Overall, I love my car. Some areas for improvement include:

- Eliminating the rattle that eminates from the light console, where the map lights are.

- Lower the side window sills. Some people like to rest their arm on the window sill, but the TSX's sills are quite high. Plus, the door lock sticks up when locked, and even if you do manage to rest your arm on the sill, the lock knob prods you.

Lower side window sills, this would also offer the benefit of reducing the TSX's large side body panel slabs. As-is, the TSX's side body panels look oversize and it makes the car look slightly chunky.

The notion of "chunky" is inconsistent with the notions of sports or luxury. (I'm not saying that the TSX is excessively chunky, just slightly.)

An example of an excessively chunky car is the US domestic Accord. "Chunky-puffy-bloated" means a total lack of class and style.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by gpsiir

Not to get off-subject, but is there a string on the creaking noise? When I dropped my TSX off for its 10K check-up, I mentioned the creaking and the dealer has kept it for 3 days already. Today, they left a message they removed the windshield and need another day (or 2?) to fix it. Don't miss it cuz I'm renting an X-type Jag in the meantime.

P.S. I too got a speeding tix after 1 month (and that's after having a "clean" record of driving a BMW for 6 years!).

P.P.S. With regards to the original question, I like it overall. Same critical comments as most others already posted.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

My list of complaints:
exterior looks.
blah.
non-illuminated steering wheel controls (come on, jettas have this!)
stupid door locks that bite your arm (wait till hot weather guys, you'll see)
heated mirr.. wait, no, I have that (bwa hahaha)

:P
J.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Brad
- Lower the side window sills. Some people like to rest their arm on the window sill, but the TSX's sills are quite high. Plus, the door lock sticks up when locked, and even if you do manage to rest your arm on the sill, the lock knob prods you.

Lower side window sills, this would also offer the benefit of reducing the TSX's large side body panel slabs. As-is, the TSX's side body panels look oversize and it makes the car look slightly chunky.

The notion of "chunky" is inconsistent with the notions of sports or luxury. (I'm not saying that the TSX is excessively chunky, just slightly.)

An example of an excessively chunky car is the US domestic Accord. "Chunky-puffy-bloated" means a total lack of class and style.
Just to make the point that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I definitely disagree with this perspective about the sills. While I agree that every now and then I wish they were lower because it would make it easier and more comfortable to lean my elbow out the window, I think the the higher sills give the car a more muscular look, e.g., when I see it side by side with an A-4, the higher sills on the TSX make it look more muscular yet still refined enough. And their line continues all the way back in smooth fashion to the rear of the car. If you lowered the sills, you'd be changing the whole look of the car, IMO.
All in all, I have no "complaints" about the TSX, I love it. However, I do believe that how you feel about it depends to a large extent on what your prior cars were. In my case, it's a step up from my prior Nissan Stanza, Honda Accord, and Mazda 626. Someone else who is coming to the TSX from BMW or Lexus might have more "complaints." It's all relative. For my next vehicle (years off) I'd like to have a more powerful TSX with a few more bells and whistles, such as those that have been mentioned by others.

I don't agree that the TSX gives off the same "chunky" look as the Accord, which to me is horrific looking. It's way smoother, sleeker and well-put-together looking, IMO.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Race Director

now i wish there were more exterior color options available. i was a bit dissapointed when i asked to see the carbon grey color the first time. on the acura website it shows carbon grey as more of a graphite grey/dark silver color, but yet when i saw the color in person it looked more bluish than dark silver. i still ended up getting carbon grey cause i'm not into silver.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Instructor

I have experienced some of the problems listed here and must admit a bit of disappointment in not experiencing the legendary Acura/Honda fit and finish. I must also say that none of the problems I have experienced have been of the nature that I have felt prompted to make dealer visits between regularly scheduled maintenance. Perhaps my biggest complaint so far is the time it has taken for my dealer to actually obtain replacement parts for the TSX. I have a t no point in time been made to feel like the village idiot by my dealer for the minor complaints I have had. The service I have received has been extraordinary. Styling to my eye is near perfect with my least favaorite aspect of the car being the look of the rear tail lights during the day...at night it is quite attractive and very agressive looking from behind on the road.

One of my favorite things about my TSX is that, I do not see many others on the road, which imparts a feeling of exclusivity. I have seen lest than 5 others on the road since I took delivery of mine the first month they were available. A recent drive from Harrisburg, PA to Portsmouth, NH I did not se a single other TSX on the highway. During this trip, I actually attained 36.7 mpg from my TSX on the highway...no small feat for a performance oriented vehicle. Ironically, I see quite a few new TL's on the road here, and, More than one TL driver has slowed down or speeded up to get a better look at my TSX.

Overall, I am a bit dissappointed with some minor stuff and enthralled with the major stuff. Unlike many here, I paid about $1,700 less than sticker for my TSX and got fair value for my trade, this at a time when most were paying sticker for the TSX. I did not buy the TSX as a BMW substitute. I did not buy it to street race IS 300's. Actually, I considered only the VW Passat and Audi A4 as alternatives. But, based on good friends with each of these vehicles and their stories of problems and reluctant dealerships service departments (perhaps this is unique to my area) I went with the TSX. I bought the TSX for what it is...a damn good car, comfortable, reasonably fast, better than expected handling, nicely done interior, understated style, and exceptional value.

Quick Reply: What don't you like about your TSX?