What don't you like about your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In order of decreasing annoyance to me:

6th gear is too short.
1st and 2nd gears are too far apart.
Edit: Why the heck can't we have heated mirrors in America?
Can't see the turn signal lights (on the dash).
Trunk doesn't have cubby holes on the sides to put little things in so they don't slide around.

In the grand scheme of things, these are pretty small complaints (even the 6th gear thing). Enjoy.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

I purchased this car 5/2003 preferred a new TSX over a used BMW 330. That was then, 12,000 miles later I hate the ride. It feels like the suspension has lossen up and the ride is very bouncy. I have a vertigo problem but didn't notice the bad ride until a few months ago. I tried to trade it in but tradein was only $22,000 almost a $6,000 loss in one year.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rlboss
I purchased this car 5/2003 preferred a new TSX over a used BMW 330. That was then, 12,000 miles later I hate the ride. It feels like the suspension has lossen up and the ride is very bouncy. I have a vertigo problem but didn't notice the bad ride until a few months ago. I tried to trade it in but tradein was only $22,000 almost a $6,000 loss in one year.
Perhaps a Buick Le Sabre is in order here. Seriously, any car with the sporting aspirations of the TSX including BMW, Audi, etc have stiff rides and would probably agravate your vertigo problem. Friends of mine with BWM's 325, 330, audi A4, and IS 300's all tell me how they wish their rides had the smoothness and suspension compliance of my TSX, and that, overall they just can't believe how good the ride is. This is a highly subjective area of course, but, maybe sporty cars are just not for you. I have about 11K on mine and have noticed that the ride now seems even more hunkered down than when it was new. My TSX continues to amaze me. Look at the bright side, you have discovered that sprty cars are not for you for about 10K less than a BMW (new) or Audi A4 (new) comparably equipped.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Bite my shiney metal ass.

Trying to find that HomeLink button while turning into my driveway in the dark.

Other than that .
Old 01-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Advanced

Seeing over the passenger headrests when I'm backing up.

The shoddy treatment I got from the dealer when I complained that my NAV DVD was outdated, and that cars delivered at the same time as mine had the newer disc.

The Auto-Select option on the radio resets all 3 sets of presets (AM/FM1/FM2). I'd prefer that it only do the 6 stations for the mode that's currently active. This way, I can have FM1 for my home stations, and FM2 for travel.

MSM - 5AT - NAV
Old 01-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by tirebiter
Seeing over the passenger headrests when I'm backing up.

The shoddy treatment I got from the dealer when I complained that my NAV DVD was outdated, and that cars delivered at the same time as mine had the newer disc.

The Auto-Select option on the radio resets all 3 sets of presets (AM/FM1/FM2). I'd prefer that it only do the 6 stations for the mode that's currently active. This way, I can have FM1 for my home stations, and FM2 for travel.

MSM - 5AT - NAV
If I remember the manual correctly, the Auto-Select programs all 3 sets of presets but the unit still keeps track of your "home" presets. All you have to do is de-select the Auto-Select and you have your "home" presets back. Now you have 18 stations at home and 18 on the road. I gotta double-check the manual.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Don't listen to me.

my only complaint is the small chips in the plastic bumper from freeway driving. (Wish I bought a clear bra)

My wife's complaint is that the passanger side is not a power seat and the "heated seat" only does the bottom not the back.

I have 10K miles on mine and the ride is just fine. I still have an amazingly smooooooth ride.

Oh yea, I also was disapointed in the optional MP3 player. It is the only Mp3 player on the market that does not display ID3 Tags. I complained about it but what the point they can't change it and I can't live without an MP3 player.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by tirebiter
The A SEL does not overwrite your presets. simple press the A. SEL again to turn it off and your presets will still be there.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:47 AM
Advanced

I honestly think this car could use a more compliant suspension. I don't know what it is but it rides like it doesn't have enough suspension travel.

I don't mind a stiff ride, I just think they could have maintained the handling and control and still made it more comfortable. Good examples are the BMW 3 series and the Audi A4 (the latter less good on the handling front but still a nice ride IMHO).

That's the only thing I miss about my 325i and that's the only thing that bothers me about the TSX (aside from the rattling of course but that seems to be par for the course).

Still rides way more comfortably than my RSX did though.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:00 AM
More On

Originally posted by MikeL
.....I don't mind a stiff ride, I just think they could have maintained the handling and control and still made it more comfortable. Good examples are the BMW 3 series and the Audi A4.....
That's the only thing I miss about my 325i.....
I respect your observations a lot, Mike, so I figure you must be basically right.
But my impression is the opposite. Granted, it's been a long time since I owned a 3, but I've ridden in them more recently, although only on city streets -- and I gotta say, the TSX seems to give a better ride.

But I've only RIDDEN in those BMW's. Maybe it's about the difference between how I feel as the driver or as a passenger.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:17 AM
Racer

no light in the glove box. my 99 EL have light for glove box. TSX don;t have it.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:15 AM
Racer

the "heated seat" only does the bottom not the back.
Apparently to make way for passenger-side airbag sensors. The driver gets a heated back, though.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

We have an auto select feature?? Doh!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by larchmont
But I've only RIDDEN in those BMW's. Maybe it's about the difference between how I feel as the driver or as a passenger.
Hmmm.. my friend's 330i c sports and performance packages has always seemed at least as firm as the TSX to me, but I'm usually just as passenger and as larch mentioned there's a difference in perception.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Driver seat memory
Prefer rear wheel drive
Mudguards that don't scratch the $h!t out of the paint
Security system chirp option
Tighter 1st-2nd gear ration
One touch open/close sunroof
Lighted Homelink buttons

All of these are extremely minor. It's rattle free and I'm loving it at 3k miles!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Yeah, the 3 series' ride is just as firm as the TSX's, and yet it manages to be more compliant and well controlled. I mean it in the sense that the 3 series feels planted regardless of how many bumps there are while the TSX seems to bounce off and ricochet off each one.

That said of course I have to qualify my comments by saying that the TSX does a darn fine job of providing a good mix between ride and handling relative to the rest of the car population. Compared to the best of the best it may be lacking (and in my opinion only), but generally I am very satisfied with it. And the good points definitely outweigh the bad. All in all I like it more than my 3 series by a lot so I really can't complain.

I just had to find a way to break my endless streak of TSX praising posts.

P.S. I find that the ride does smooth out at speed, so maybe it was a comprimise by the suspension engineers to make it feel buttoned down on the autobahn. The solution is clear--I'll just have to go fast more often!
Old 01-21-2004, 11:32 AM
More On

Yeah, the 3 series' ride is just as firm as the TSX's, and yet it manages to be more compliant and well controlled. I mean it in the sense that the 3 series feels planted regardless of how many bumps there are while the TSX seems to bounce off and ricochet off each one.....
[but] All in all I like it more than my 3 series by a lot......
Looks like we two TSX lovers just experience "rides" a bit differently. Maybe I'm making too much of the exact words (which I've been known to do), but the way you describe this aspect of the TSX is unrecognizable to me. In fact, i'd say it's just the opposite: although you DO feel those big bumps pretty strongly, the car DOESN'T bounce or ricochet; it remains firmly planted, and instantly after the bump, it's like nothing happened.

Maybe it's just words. Or, as I've said, maybe my TSX is a mutant.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by larchmont
....Or, as I've said, maybe my TSX is a mutant.
Mine feels more like your description than Mike's. But then again, I didn't just hop out of a BMW...

I still think the suspension is too compliant, though (allows too much body roll). So I may be in a whole different category.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Yeah, the 3 series' ride is just as firm as the TSX's, and yet it manages to be more compliant and well controlled. I mean it in the sense that the 3 series feels planted regardless of how many bumps there are while the TSX seems to bounce off and ricochet off each one.
It could just be a regional thing, but, when I test drove both the BMW 325 and 330 before purchasing the TSX, I was truly disapointed at the Bimmer's desire to follow every rut in our washboard and rutted central PA roads. I was also rather dismayed at the level of road noise that came into the cabin. I do love the sound (from inside the car) that the BMW'w engines produce at full throttle. Also, both samples of the BMW's I tested had rattles in the dash over bumps, which worried me right up front. I am fortunate that I have not not experienced the rattles in my TSX that so many have reported here. I have had some, but they either went away on their own, or were fixed by the dealer. The newer BMW's IMHO do not thave the reflexes that their predecessors posessed. They have become "softer" and a bit less "Ultimate" while preserving their higher price. And, folks here often quote base price BMW Vs. Base price TSX. I can tell you that in my area, the lowest priced BMW325 sitting on a dealer lot is over 34K. Big difference in price...for a potentially minor improvement in performance.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
More On

Originally posted by SilverTSXinPA
.....when I test drove both the BMW 325 and 330 before purchasing the TSX, I was truly disapointed at the Bimmer's desire to follow every rut in our washboard and rutted central PA roads. I was also rather dismayed at the level of road noise that came into the cabin. I do love the sound (from inside the car) that the BMW'w engines produce at full throttle.....
Well said, IMO -- all of the above is exactly, exactly my impression.

I remember very well when I first picked up my old 320i, and when I pulled on the highway and got that "sound," like a solid "hum." Just great.

Ah, great first impressions..... And I remember very well when I test-drove the TSX, I pulled out of the lot onto the street, and I couldn't believe the ride and the handling. It all hit me, instantly, and I couldn't believe it, even though what I'd read on our site had led me to expect it.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Instructor

I have not experienced this "bouncing or ricocheting" in my TSX. In fact, my TSX seems to "Step over" the big stuff. In fact, driving over arguably some the the worst roads in the country quite recently in NY, I never once bottomed out the suspension or upset the vehicles line. Just firm and well planted. Oh, and on this particular trip, I got over 36 mpg from my TSX...try that in a BMW..lol
Old 01-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

I find that my TSX handles large infractions in the pavement very well. In other words, suspension action is well modulated when things get rough. However it does not feel as compliant on the small bumps and you can definitely feel each crack and crevice on the pavement compared to my roommate's 325xi which i drove for a week before getting my TSX. I do wish it were just slightly more complaint, though not numbing like my Jeep. It would have been nice if Acura could have offered a more compliant stock suspension, and offered a stiffer ride with a sport suspension package (w/ summer tires!). Suhweeet.

Back to the original question of this thread...many of my rants have been mentioned before, so I guess I am just adding to the stats.

What's Hot:
1. HID lights (good thing those fogs were free)
2. LED gauges (could use one more level between "retina-scorcher" and "stealth-mode" for nighttime adjustability)
3. *gasp* "This is an Accord!?!"
4. Currently, exclusitivity on the road. I've only seen two other TSX's in town. Plenty of TLs though.
5. "Hey! Slow down, you're going 85!!" (My old car used to shake like a belly dancer at 65mph)
6. "WOW! This is smoooooth. You said it's only got a 4-banger?"
7. Car tracks well on washboard roads
8. Climate control is pretty accurate and fast
9. Rattle-free so far
10. "Ah crap, you beat me to one!"

:thumbsdn: What's Not:
1. No one-touch open/close moonroof
2. No door auto-locking at 5mph; auto unlock when opening door (the latter more of a safety feature)
3. Non-illuminated homelink buttons
4. Need higher quality speakers or amp w/ cleaner signal
5. No heated mirrors
6. No driver's seat memory, heated seats kinda slow to react
7. No integrated folding key & fob (I hear MB has a patent on this and VW bought rights to use it, so I guess we're SOL)
8. My SRS controller has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced.
9. Slightly more complaint suspension
Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by sunnyboy
3. Non-illuminated homelink buttons
7. No integrated folding key & fob (I hear MB has a patent on this and VW bought rights to use it, so I guess we're SOL)
3. Program all three buttons to your opener signal and jab blindly at the roof panel

7. The Euro Accord has the fob buttons built into the head of the key. No cool switchblade action though. Even the Civic has a better key than the TSX, with internal grooves.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally posted by kiteboy
3. Program all three buttons to your opener signal and jab blindly at the roof panel
Yup, exactly what I did. Though the buttons need not be illuminated, at least the homelink icon. At least a red LED comes on when you press a button.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
TSX Owner

1. No heated mirrors

2. Rattling rear license plate

3. Rear styling could be better

4. CD player should have time-remaining display, random play across all disks, finer tuning of equalization (bass/treble alone just doesn't cut it), a built-in connection for external portable devices (like Walkmans and iPods). Plus the sound quality is not the greatest: poor speakers?

5. No option for factory or dealer installed remote starter

6. POOR GAS MILEAGE!

7. Not quite peppy enough

8. Passager seat lacks power adjustment

9. Windshield wipers do a POOR(!) job, especially on passager side.

10. Poorly designed moonroof visor. It blocks 50% of the sky view.

11. Controls on steering wheel (i.e., radio controls and cruise control) are not illuminated. I can't see the buttons at night without turning on the dome light.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Race Director

its annoying that those who have a navi may agree with me, that when u push auto so that the climate control goes on, why does it put it to A/C automatically right away?? that's stupid especially in the middle of winter, its annoying to have to go to the a/c screen and turn it off all the time.

one question what if u just want to open and get fresh air and the vent like get fresh air into w/o opening the windows? what button or function do u guys press?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:08 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by gcolby03
2. Rattling rear license plate
Your car should've came with two foam pieces for the rear license plate.
Here's the discussion.
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...+license+plate
Old 01-31-2004, 10:32 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

2. LED gauges (could use one more level between "retina-scorcher" and "stealth-mode" for nighttime adjustability)
ha ha - that is annoying.. .I didn't think about that one.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Racer

6. POOR GAS MILEAGE!
What are you doing wrong?

Yeah... actually, I'd like one that leaves the LED gauges at full brightness, but puts the navi in "night mode."
Old 02-02-2004, 01:07 AM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
here's one i haven't seen anyone post yet, although it drives me nuts:

- what's the use of a 'mist' function that goes at high speed and just ends up spraying water all over the (just wiped) windshield? All the other cars I've driven that have this feature operate the wipers at normal speed, and it works perfectly well. My tsx is the only one I've seen where because of the wiper speed, on the downward swipe, the driver side wiper almost always ends up splattering water all over the passenger side windshield; requiring a second swipe to clean it up. Can't be just my car, is it?

Other than that, the cons of this car is fairly minor and has been brought up by others.
- slightly taller 6th gear would be nice
- slightly choppy ride on certain types of road. The funny thing is, this car absorbs a lot of bumps really well, and yet certain road irregularities can cause it to 'bounce' like it's got a really short wheelbase.
- turn radius
- lack of power passenger seat and passenger lumbar support (gf misses the lumbar support from my old passat...)
- archaic sunroof controls
- rattles
Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Bound for Europe

I accept what I've got and do not wish to include my desired features I think the TSX needs. I gots what I need.

But what I want is the TL DVD-A sound system. I'll pay for that option.

I want some standard 18" wheels with better tires.

I want auto-leveling xenons and way brighter and blinding highbeams for when some yahoo flashes me because he's an automotive half-wit and is unaware that physics and terrain are to blame for my lights blinding him. Flash me? OK...here's my high beams pal! Bright enough for ya?! Wait...he's not turning around is he?

And finally...accounting for %76 of my post content, I want Carbon Grey you morons!!! Free repaint!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro

Originally posted by BurnabyTSX
here's one i haven't seen anyone post yet, although it drives me nuts:

- what's the use of a 'mist' function that goes at high speed and just ends up spraying water all over the (just wiped) windshield? All the other cars I've driven that have this feature operate the wipers at normal speed, and it works perfectly well. My tsx is the only one I've seen where because of the wiper speed, on the downward swipe, the driver side wiper almost always ends up splattering water all over the passenger side windshield; requiring a second swipe to clean it up. Can't be just my car, is it?
Mine does that too - it's very annoying. I think the mist function also does one sweep too many.

I was disappointed when Honda went to the Toyota-type of washer stalk - it's very easy to push down past the desired setting. The old control was much better - twist for int/lo/hi, down for fast sweep, back for mist. It was much easier to set and allowed you to interrupt the regular wiper setting with a fast sweep without resetting the controls. It also avoids the up motion which is a little hard to actuate when only your right hand is on the wheel.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Racer

Bring the pain I love the bright LED gauges. Sure, you might get me to admit that it would be more comfortable at less than full blast, but I'll go blind before I ever turn it down!!
Old 02-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Got Milk???

god damn gimme more freakin' horse power and torque!!!!!!!!! 200hp is for grammas

kev

ssm 5A no navi
Old 02-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kaikai114
200hp is for grammas
....So are automatics.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Racer

Originally posted by tsxer.ca
no light in the glove box. my 99 EL have light for glove box. TSX don;t have it.

My tsx has a light in the glove box. It only comes on if the headlights are on.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

I absolutely love this car, but I think HJD and Kiteboy are right on with most of their comments. The sunroof switch location is nutty. The spray from the washers acts like it has a dripping STD (I read about this somewhere). The steering wheel needs larger grips at 9:30 and 2:30.

My own gripes:
The flimsy feel of the trunk lid.

The window washer fluid cap with a plastic dipstick? Give me a cap that has a retaining strap that cannot fall off and get lost.

Any car this price should have a hood opener hinge and not that little bar that supports it when open. (You engineering guys help me explain this better).

I still love this car.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by kaikai114
god damn gimme more freakin' horse power and torque!!!!!!!!! 200hp is for grammas

kev

ssm 5A no navi
Get a 50 shot of nitrous.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Got Milk???

50 shots.... that should do a good job killing the engine
Old 02-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Get a 50 shot of nitrous.
The driver should do a couple of shots...and you won't notice it as much.

Quick Reply: What don't you like about your TSX?