Went to trade TSX for a TL due to rattles; TL rattles are worse!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004 | 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Went to trade TSX for a TL due to rattles; TL rattles are worse!

Hi,

Like many members here I am troubled by annoying, but difficult to reproduce rattles in my TSX. I have had it since last July and it rattled since I first drove it off the lot. I finally got fed up with it (after five fruitless visits to service and numerous calls to Acura) and decided to try to trade up to a TL. Well last night I visited my local dealer. They offered to let me borrow one for the night to evaluate it. Let me start by stating that I love the TL. The ride, power, Nav, voice activated features, and other bells and whisles are right up my alley. I felt excited again like I once did about the TSX. My joy was short lived though. As soon as we left the lot the car creaked and rattled significantly worse than my TSX! My wife who thinks that I am worrying too much about the rattles could not believe how much worse the TL was. She said that she would never purchase such a car and that it even bothered her.

This morning before work I went back to the dealer. They gave me the now typical Acura line, "We never get complaints about rattles. Maybe we can have service take a look at it." Knowing that that would be a worthless pursuit I said no thank you. They then offered to take a ride with me. Fate smiled on me today. The rattles were numerous and readily apparent. Finally an Acura employee acknowleged that the rattles exist and are unacceptable!!! He tried to play the "let service look at it" line again, but I did not budge.

When we got back to the dealership they gave me another TL test. I left them and proceeded to work. Sure enough the second brand new TL rattles just as bad.

After work I will go get my TSX back. This experience has been very disappointing. I have liked Honda for a long time. The TSX and the TL should not have these problems. I think that they must be using new plastics. Assuming they are, the new plastic is too hard or stiff. It should be softer (more pliable) so that it does not buzz or rattle.

Oh well. I spent $26K on a car that rattles like a child's toy. I tried to upgrade to a $34K car and it rattles worse.

Good luck to everyone.

- Joe Kotran
Old 03-18-2004 | 11:10 AM
ABP TSX

Glad my TSX has never suffered from a rattle. I would suggest you take the initiative and fix the rattles yourself. I know it sucks and Acura Service should fix it under warranty, but you might have better luck. There are some threads on the board where other members have successfully eliminated their rattles on their own remedies. I like to tinker with stuff so perhaps I am more open to fixing things myself. I would rather my TSX never see the inside in the “stealership” service bay.
Old 03-18-2004 | 12:38 PM
Race Director

hey at least you'll be saving $8K.

you know the only thing disappointing I hear in the TSX I drive is the squeeking of the wipers when I use them in the rain. don't really hear any rattles, thankfully.

i'm still questioning on the build quality on the new TL vs. the TSX, cause the TL is built in OH, while the TSX is built in Japan.

still have this mindsight that cars made in Japan are better quality than cars built in the USA.
Old 03-18-2004 | 12:47 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

As someone who also suffered from just about every type of TSX rattle reported, I can feel your pain. I wouldn't trade for a TL because of rattles, because I believe the TSX rattle problems CAN be fixed. (The devil you know is better than the devil you don't).

A summary of my rattles experiences,

- Had the pass door speaker/bass rattle. Dealer fixed it on second attempt.

- Door lock rattles. Dealer fixed them on second attempt.

- Sunroof rumbling/rattling. Fixed myself by wiping down seals with vynol protectant (303 Aerospace).

- Driver Window rumbling/rattling. Again as above, fixed myself by wiping down seals.

- Rattling from inside steering wheel. First dealer attempt failed, bringing in for second attempt.

- Seatbelt adjuster buzzing/rattling. Just noticed and will be bringing in for first attempt at fix.

So , I have/had alot of rattles, but most have been fixed. I have two problem rattles left and I am confident they will be resolved and then my car will finally be rattle free!
Old 03-18-2004 | 12:57 PM
Team Owner

My car only recently started developing the rattle issue, but I noticed something yesterday when my car was in for service. The service technicians left my car in the sun for several hours and the interior was hot as hell when I got into it. We went for a test drive so that I could see if the rattles would show, but the rattles were all gone. However, when I drove the car again this morning, the rattles were present again. I then realized that while I was at school, the car sat out and was usually exposed to the sun and fairly high temperatures for most of the time. I never heard the rattles then. So I'm wondering if the weather conditions have much to do with the rattle situation. Is it possible that the rattle situation is really just the result of the plastic parts expanding and shrinking with the weather?

Just curious to see what people's thoughts are on this.
Old 03-18-2004 | 01:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I think temperature definately has an effect on certain TSX rattles. Definately the windsheild rattle.
Old 03-18-2004 | 01:08 PM

Originally posted by CGTSX2004
...So I'm wondering if the weather conditions have much to do with the rattle situation. Is it possible that the rattle situation is really just the result of the plastic parts expanding and shrinking with the weather?

Just curious to see what people's thoughts are on this.
i know the windshield rattle is a result of the temperature. i've never heard any rattles driving down here in FL. but when i drove up to NY/NJ last november, thats when i noticed the windshield rattle. after driving back to FL the rattles disappeared
Old 03-18-2004 | 01:21 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i have noticed the Seatbelt adjuster buzzing/rattling when playing songs with certain bass sounds when it is cold out. i'll live.
Old 03-18-2004 | 01:36 PM
4th Gear

I had a 99 Accord before purchasing my current car, and the Accord suffered from numerous rattles too. Sunroofs seem to ALWAYS squeak(in any Honda), the corner of my dash made a cracking noise and the rear window buzzed and squeaked also. Temperature definitely has something to do with it. I brought the car in once and they had to keep it for 2 days. After that, new rattles will emerge but I just tried my best to ignore it. Throughout the years, some of the rattles disappeared but new ones only appeared.
Old 03-18-2004 | 01:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=7555
Old 03-18-2004 | 02:22 PM
10th Gear

Red face Rattle, Rattle, Rattle

I HAVE to agree with gsclifton!
These rattles are infuriating to say the least. BUT it's obvious a DESIGN flaw. And they will lose customers like gsclifton and myself if they don't do something about a SMALL quality issue like this. I have been in 4 times also. WHY should we HAVE to fix it ourselves? We should make them EAT these cars! This is total bull**** and we have NO WAY to FIGHT BACK. I have not YET begun to give up yet though and the POWER of THE PEN will triumph!
Old 03-18-2004 | 02:40 PM
Arm the " Laser "

My 99 Civic had a rattle in the rear speaker tray. Dealer replaced that, it went away. I traded it in for a 2001 Accord EX coupe. The sunroof became loose and rattled and so did the sunroof visor. Dealer fixed that. It had a driver side a-pillar rattle. I banged on the a-pillar while driving. Voila gone! Did this several times in the course of owning it. It had several other smaller rattles within the interior, fixed those with felt. Gone. It had a glovebox rattle. Placed some folded up paper towel near the lock. Gone. Then in the winter months, the windows had that squeeking sound. Lubed the weatherstrip up. Gone. Then i traded that for the TSX. So far nothing major. I have the window squeek on the driver side and what i do is lower the window just a wee little and it goes away. Had a A pillar rattle this morning on the passenger side and i banged on it and once again gone.....

I've been dealing with Honda rattles since 99 it doesnt fazed me anymore.

As long as the car drives well and has no MAJOR problem. I'm happy.

My gf's 04 TL has the same issues and she isnt complaning.

A lot of the rattles we hear can partly be blamed on the bad roads we have. Compared to a super smooth Japanese superhighway, our freeways suck which contribute to the noise - vibration - harshness (NVH )we experience in the cars we buy
Old 03-18-2004 | 02:40 PM
bleh...

My TSX rattled a lot last summer, now much of the rattling is gone. he dealer fixed some of the rattling. The cold temperatures seemed to have reduced the rattles. Lets just hope when summer comes around again the rattling stays away.

I've adjusted to living with the rattlings in the car.
Old 03-18-2004 | 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

You guys don't understand the word rattle unless you owned or have driven a Volkswagen. To me the TSX sounds rattle free (despite the ocassional rattle now and then).

Old 03-18-2004 | 05:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by gsclifton
Glad my TSX has never suffered from a rattle.
I SECOND THAT ...

never hand any rattle problems with TSX ... the ONLY ONLY problems front break and rotors when bad after 5K of use...
Old 03-18-2004 | 06:32 PM
Banned

OP let me get this straight... you were going to trade your TSX for a TL... and LOSE thousands of dollars in depreciation and taxes?
Old 03-18-2004 | 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Geeeee.....all of these posts sadden me because my enthusiasm for Honda and Acura is being tested. I own a 02 RSX Type S and was seriously considering a move up to a TSX. But to be honest ..I'm not sure that I need any more headaches in my life at this time even though the RSX is trouble free. I guess I might hang on to it until the 05's come out. Maybe by then the bugs will have been worked out by the boys at Acura. I hope ...I hope ...I hope.
Old 03-18-2004 | 11:10 PM
Race Director

its a nice car man, sometimes its just overreactions thats all.
Old 03-18-2004 | 11:31 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

My car is fine, and without offending anyone, i say that many people dramatize things.

For instance, i have the same "seat belt" rattle that others have complained about. And quite honestly, it is the most insignificant thing ever. If the radio is at a volume greater than 3 the noise is gone. I mean this is a man made machine here. Hell even the space shuttle rattles.
Old 03-19-2004 | 12:06 AM
Banned

yea... I'm exaggerating the 5 repair visits and $2,000 settlement I got from Acura.
Old 03-19-2004 | 01:04 AM
Possessed with my Schemes

I think it is unfair to say many of us are overdramatizing these rattles. Anyone who has been on these forums for some time knows that this is a well known problem and that Acura has done little to acknowledge the problem. This thread alone has several owners who have tried to have their cars repaired numerous times and to no avail.

After my dealer acknowledged the problem and tried to fix it three unsucessful times, they suggested I call Acura directly. I did, Acura called the dealership and then told me the dealership said the problem was fixed. This is total BS. It was the dealership who told me to call them! The Acura case manager said he was not aware of this particular rattle. I told him how the dealer has had eighty cars with the same rattle, and all he could say was "I can't be aware of every problem". What kind of BS is this?

I am glad that many people have been happy with their TSX's, but for those of us with issues, Acura is doing nothing to make things better.

Congrats CrazyTree for being one of the few to actually get something done. You the man.
Old 03-19-2004 | 02:15 AM
Banned

check your pm.

*edit* err... nm you have pm off. PM me... and I'll PM you back.
Old 03-19-2004 | 08:03 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Alright, then I take back my statement
Old 03-19-2004 | 08:09 AM
Pro

no rattle yet on my TSX, last week i almost had heart attact when i heard sound like "rattles" i knock the door and panel and listen but found no sound of lose pieces, i was getting frustrated and worried my TSX will become a legendary, infamous, notorious, unbearable, unreturnable, unexchangeable and unfixable "Rattle Box" .... i set sad for 2 days. i can't think of any source for the rattle in the door ... so i clean all rubber/plastic around the windows, now the noise is gone!!! no rattle. hope this can help solve your rattle!!
Old 03-19-2004 | 05:41 PM
Instructor

Most cars have more rattles in the summer then in the winter, at least that is the case with my 3 series. During the winter I forget about a rattle in the back window shelf area, but not that it is 80 today in Denver the rattle is back. I get use to it but it takes a few weeks each summer. Guess I should not sell for a TSX or TL like I plan on due to more rattles then I have.
Old 03-22-2004 | 01:21 AM
Intermediate

I find it odd that some here mention more rattles in the heat. In my experience (in all cars) parts rattle more in the cold. Only makes sense since parts contract in the cold and loosen up, versus expand in the summer heat and tighten up. My TSX seems to be doing the same thing.

Dealer still hasn't been able to fix the door rattles after 3 visits. Guess it's time to do it myself
Old 03-22-2004 | 01:35 AM
Banned

my door rattles irrespective of weather. my windshield would rattle only on cold days. got it fixed and it still rattles a bit on really cold days.