Went to the TL "unveiling" last night, thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003 | 02:52 PM
Advanced

Went to the TL "unveiling" last night, thoughts...

...well now I've seen it in the flesh, as opposed to just in pics, as many have said before, the pics don't do it complete justice, it is a very nice looking car!! They didn't "wine" us, but they definitely "dined" us with all sorts of expensive appetizers and fancy desserts along with your choice of cold beverages or an espresso or capuccino. When everyone walked into the showroom the TL was on centerstage covered by a black car cover with a large Acura logo on the hood, it was flanked by a new 2004 MDX and a TSX, both in pearl white. When the time came for the unveiling all gathered 'round to ooh and aah, it also was in pearl white with the parchment interior, it's the auto with navi model. My first impressions, really nice car, it was only ten feet away from its sibling TSX so it was easy to make comparisons between the two. What sticks out as an eye catcher?...funny little things, like how the lines for the hood opening follow the lines of the car as opposed to how they go on the TSX, you wouldn't think a small detail like that would make such a difference in appearance, but it makes the front of the TL quite distinct...this may be only noticeable on TL's in lighter colors as it probable isn't as visible on darker cars. It is really a pity that many of us will have to foul the appearance of the front ends of our TSX/TL's with license plate brackets, they both look so good without them. Being a Canadian TSX, its interior was ebony, so the parchment interior of the TL obviously seemed brighter, but I still like sitting in the TSX better than the TL, it just seems to fit really well and I love the aluminum trim that runs through the car. The leather in the TL has been said to be softer by some than that in the TSX, but if it is, it isn't by that much of a degree, I ran my hand over both in a side by side comparo and couldn't distinguish that much difference...both seats feel great, again, not that much different. The guages in the TL are sure to awe many with their mini light show, but I think the guages on the TSX are sportier and a better designed layout, the TL's guage cluster layout is a reflection from the previous TL with each guage in its own pod, something I've never cared for where I like the way the ones in the TSX are.
They both feel great when sitting in the drivers seat, the "driver one" and "driver two" feature would be nice to have, as it can take a couple minutes to figure out how your seat, mirrors, and steering wheel position was if my wife has been driving the car (she's much shorter than I am) They were making a big deal about how the frame is made from hydro formed aluminum, but also pointing out that because of this frame, if you are in an accident, the tow truck driver had better know what he's doing or your car will be in even worse shape just from being loaded on the truck the wrong way...there are special hooks you have to insert into the bumpers by removing caps on them, the tow cables are attatched to these hooks, if the caps aren't removed or re-inserted the right way the entire bumber must be replaced...sounds like Acura had better keep a good stock of bumpers on hand...
The two cars are very similar in size and appearance from the front and side view, its the rear end treatment that distinguishes them the most, on lighter colors the side "groove" on the TL is more noticeable than on darker colors...the LED tail lights are cool, it would be nice to see Acura go with LED's on all their tail lighting, they are much brighter and noticeable both at night and during the day. One thing that really bugs me about the TSX is the lousy tires it comes with as opposed to what they are putting on the TL. The price differential displayed on the two cars was substantial, the TSX was listed at $34,000 cdn, with the TL going for a whopping 45 grand!!...that's 11 grand more!!
...my bottom line, the TL is a very nice car, but for me, I'll take the 11 grand savings and enjoy, REALLY enjoy, the TSX and all it has to offer to me.

Lorne Miller
Old 10-16-2003 | 04:20 PM
heywood j. ablowme

nice review.

i'm invited to my local acura dealer (i'm assuming i got the invitation because we have an 03 TL-S in the garage) for their 04 TL launch "party" on oct. 22nd.
i didn't think much of it til i read your summary... i'm looking forward to it now.

i'll also put my .02 in on the 22nd.
Old 10-16-2003 | 04:42 PM
Advanced

Lorne,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your in-depth perceptions based on the viewing you obviously enjoyed last night. There seems to be plenty to like in the styling of the new TL, but I just can't get past those "Pontiac Grand Prix" tailpipes. Tailpipes are supposed to be round. Period!

Thanks again for your entertaining review.
Old 10-16-2003 | 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

I went to one of these last night as well. They had 2 cars, both blue one with parchment interior the other with ebony. One had navi the other not, both autos.

Very nice car, and lower than I thought it would be. I didn't like the body kit one of them had the spoiler took away from the clean lines.

I posted a bunch of pictures on www.canadiandriver.com in the forums area under new cars. Acura TL. The Blue was very nice.
Old 10-16-2003 | 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

a lot of german cars have screw-in tow hooks. it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, unless the tow truck driver is an idiot.
Old 10-16-2003 | 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally posted by TSeniorX
I posted a bunch of pictures on www.canadiandriver.com in the forums area under new cars. Acura TL. The Blue was very nice.
I haven't seen the parchment interior in person yet yet, it actually looks much better then I thought. It's actually very classy, and reminds me of a mercedes or bmw...
Old 10-17-2003 | 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

The TL actually has 2 "tan" interiors one is the same as the TSX's the other different. Both are nice, I find the wood overly done in the TSX with the swooping dash mounted trim, the TL doesn't have this.
Old 10-17-2003 | 05:59 PM
The Third Ball

I sat in a silcer/black one at my dealer.

I love that damn car. I wish i could afford the 6spd with perf tires.

Sadly, i cant
Old 10-23-2003 | 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeah the hook thing is very common these days. just make sure that the tow truck driver knows this.
Old 10-24-2003 | 10:39 AM
Advanced

Went to Scottsdale Acura for the launch party. The event was held at the Penske Racing Museum and all the Penske racing cars were on display. It was great. This museum sits in the middle of about six high scale dealerships all owned by the group that Roger Penske heads. The food and the music were high scale, too. They had about 7 new TLs sitting in the driveway with various accessories like 18" wheels, rear deck spoilers and stuff. It was hard to tell some of the colors under the lights, but the Nighthawk Black Pearl was gleaming. The green color looked grey under the lights. There were no ebony interiors and I wasn't crazy about the parchment with the wood as much as I liked the aluminum trim with the ebony highlights. The salesguy worked the Bluetooth phone accessory with his cell phone and we called home hands free. Couldn't tell much from the XM radio but the DVD-Audio sound was awesome. And the Nav information was more up-to-date than my '04 TSX. The seats are comfortable and the leather is soft. Two TLs were giving guests rides around a small scale race track just beyond the driveway. It had a lot of esses and chicanes but no straightaway. The TLs scooted around the track quietly with a little sway and a lot of power. Looked like fun to drive, but that will have to wait til another day and daylight. I really like the Euro-type styling which is very similar to my TSX. The TL is a TSX on steroids. Expensive steroids. But definitely worth another look. I wonder if I can talk my wife into getting another job??
Old 10-26-2003 | 01:08 AM
Advanced

My husband and I test drove the TL today (actually he did the driving). From a girl's perspective, I like the "cosmetic" upgrades it has over the TSX... xm radio, DVD audio, cassette player, (even the speakers sounded better), one touch moonroof control, dual controls for the driver's seat and mirrors, tilt-down side view mirror, auto door lock setting (can set it to lock in drive or upon reaching 10 mph...i remember another thread where this was important to someone), optional side door guards, expandable door map pockets ... sigh.... Wish we could afford one of these too. This dealer had white, grey, silver, greenish metallic, dark blue and red...all were nice colors, but no MSM equivalent for the TL.

OK, now you guys can get back to your technical and mechanical comparisons!
Old 10-26-2003 | 05:59 AM
The Voice of Reason

I was admiring a new black '04 TL in the showroom of my Acura dealer, and noticed, to my horror, orange peel in the paint! The bumper covers looked just "perfect", in contrast to the paint on the steel body panels. Maybe it was the lighting but I don't think so. Anyone else look closely?