Viper remote start (iPhone)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper remote start (iPhone)

Hello!

I've been contemplating the idea of getting a remote starter installed on my 07 TSX, and I've decided that with my current job it would be worth it. Anyway, I have an iPhone, and I was thinking about getting the Viper remote start that works through the iPhone. Has anyone used this? Is it worth the money? Can you get security installed on it too (alarm)?

Lastly, how hard is it to install a remote start/alarm on the 07 TSX? Will I need to get another ignition key from Acura?

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by JLH81
Hello!

I've been contemplating the idea of getting a remote starter installed on my 07 TSX, and I've decided that with my current job it would be worth it. Anyway, I have an iPhone, and I was thinking about getting the Viper remote start that works through the iPhone. Has anyone used this? Is it worth the money? Can you get security installed on it too (alarm)?

Lastly, how hard is it to install a remote start/alarm on the 07 TSX? Will I need to get another ignition key from Acura?

Thanks much!

Jeff
If you are asking this much question about the alarm, then you should get someone who actually does this for a living to install it for you. I got mine installed through craigslist so look through that.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Just get a pro to do the installation for you. and yes, you need one key for the installation.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

I just saw the one that works thru iPhone at Best buy only. if i m not wrong, it cost around $400.. ==
Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I did a couple of searches and read one article which said that the signal can be broadcast through AT&T's network or through a wifi connection (e.g., ipod touch). This makes me wonder two things. First, I wonder if the 24/7 wifi connection will drain the battery. Second, I wonder how easy it would be to hack the wifi connection (e.g., WEP is really easy to break).

Now wifi road warriors who are roaming around looking for free wifi signals can also look to upgrade their vehicles. Just unlock the car and start the engine. lol...just kidding
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Cruisin'

I'm having one installed tomorrow on my 2006 TSX with Nav. I'll let you know how it comes out. Yes, the Viper Smart Start (iPhone) is only available at Best Buy for $499. The first year is free, and after that it's $30/year. This is for the cell connection (like a one way pager would have). The car doesn't connect via wi-fi - only through a cell tower. You can start it from your iPhone on WiFi or a cell connection.

Good question about the battery drain. I certainly hope not - I would think that is something that would have come up during R and D, but I'll let you know my experiences.

The Viper Smart Start is essentially a Viper 5101 with the Smart Start module in the box as well. If you already have a compatible Viper system, you can purchase just the Smart Start module for $299.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dwiller
I'm having one installed tomorrow on my 2006 TSX with Nav. I'll let you know how it comes out. Yes, the Viper Smart Start (iPhone) is only available at Best Buy for $499. The first year is free, and after that it's $30/year. This is for the cell connection (like a one way pager would have). The car doesn't connect via wi-fi - only through a cell tower. You can start it from your iPhone on WiFi or a cell connection.

Good question about the battery drain. I certainly hope not - I would think that is something that would have come up during R and D, but I'll let you know my experiences.

The Viper Smart Start is essentially a Viper 5101 with the Smart Start module in the box as well. If you already have a compatible Viper system, you can purchase just the Smart Start module for $299.
So, how does it work? Would you recommend it for the price? Can you purchase it from Best Buy and have someone else install it for you?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Modding newbie

I believe Best Buy has that division that does installs and similar tech stuff. The Geek Squad maybe? I'm sure they'd be happy to install it for you for a small nominal fee.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I believe Best Buy has that division that does installs and similar tech stuff. The Geek Squad maybe? I'm sure they'd be happy to install it for you for a small nominal fee.
lol.. from what i remember, Best Buy do not charge people that small amount for stuff..
Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JLH81
So, how does it work? Would you recommend it for the price? Can you purchase it from Best Buy and have someone else install it for you?
I'll try to answer all of the questions, and then just let me know if there are any more.

I purchased the Viper Smart Start system a couple of weeks ago for my 2006 Acura TSX (Automatic, with Nav). I left Best Buy with the item. I called a couple of days later to schedule the installation. Best Buy is the only place to purchase it right now (I believe). Professional installation is required, as the installer needs to access a specific activation portal with their username and password to set up the Smart Start account. So, I'm not positive if you HAVE to have it installed at Best Buy, but I'm pretty sure they are the only ones selling it. Not sure. I guess if you have a local person you know or have dealt with in the past, ask them if the know about it.

I had to bring my valet key with me, as this had to be hidden in the car, under the dash due to the immobilizer. Does this compromise my car's security? Yes, I believe it does, but I live in a fairly safe area, and aren't really too concerned about it.

It took Best Buy (in Braintree, MA) about 3 hours or so to do the install. When I dropped the car off, I specifically asked that they not connect anything to the horn, as I didn't want the horn going off when I remote started or locked the doors, etc. I also asked them to connect the trunk relay so that I could open the trunk via the iPhone Smart Start app. This was an extra charge of about $30 I think. They also told me it was extra to wire it so that the panic button on the iPhone made the car panic. I opted not to have this done. Remember, this is just a starter, not a security system.

So in terms of cost, the Viper Smart Start system cost $499 (I used a 12% off Reward Zone coupon). Basically that's $200 for the Viper 5101 remote start unit and $300 for the Smart Start portion of that which allows the unit to talk to the cell towers. The additional installation charges were around $222. I get the feeling this price fluctuates a bit depending on the store. This included whatever door modules I needed and the trunk control, and the hood pin, and wiring of the remote kill switch, and wiring of the 'control center' above my rearview mirror.

I had already downloaded the app, so when the installers activated the system with Viper I received an email with my username/password, etc. When I showed up to pick the car up, the app worked right away and I could start the car.

So, here is how it works. If you want to remote start the car, you launch the app on the iPhone, and hit Smart Start. You get a pop up message that says the command was sent (this is NOT a confirmation that the car is running, only that it was sent). I'd say within about 3 seconds, the car starts. Once you remote start the car, the car is running under control of the remote starter system. Your Acura key fob will not work (once again, this is only while the car is under the control of the remote starter.) You then use the iPhone or the supplied Viper fob to unlock the doors so you can get in. Don't hit the brake - or else the car shuts off. Stick your key in, and turn it 2 clicks (represented by the II by your ignition). You can now drive away, and the car is under your control - no longer under control of the remote starter. If you don't put the key within 12 minutes, the car automatically shuts off.

As I said, I had them wire it so I could use the iPhone to open my trunk. I found that this only works if the car is unlocked. So, if you've remote started your car, and want to open the trunk, you need to unlock your doors and then the trunk. I'm not sure if this is something that's Acura-specific or if it is just how the guy wired it. I'm fine with it.

I still use my Acura fob to lock my doors, as I like the quiet beep the car makes so you know it is locked. This doesn't happen if you lock the car with the Viper fob.

So, I've been using this for 3 days with no problems. Well, except for 1 thing. Ok, normal Acura operation with headlights is....lights are on, park, turn car off, open door, get out, close door, lock car, lights stay on as a courtesy for about 30 seconds and turn off. Well, stupid me, I was playing with the app, starting the car, and stopping the car using the iPhone. (You can shut the car off, by hitting the same button you use to start it). Well, the problem was....I had my lights on when I parked. I got out, locked, lights were on, and then they turned off. Then I started the car with the iPhone. Car starts up, lights come on (since they had been on when I parked). Ok, then I hit the button to shut the car off. Car shuts off, lights stay on. For hours. So after bragging to everyone at work how great this thing was, I go to run out to dinner and the car won't start. Humble pie for one, please.

Anyway, this had nothing to do with the system specifically, I just have to keep that in mind, it just happened because I was playing around with it, and didn't realize the lights didn't shut off.

As for the price - is it worth it? I believe everyone has to make that decision on their own. True, there are other remote starters out there, and many that are cheaper. What you are paying for here is the ability to start the car from anywhere. That is what makes it different from other starters. For instance....if you live in a city (like Boston) where there is street parking...you might not be able to park on your street if there is no parking when you get home. You might be a block or two (or more in winter) away. In this case, you can start your car with no problem (as long as the car is in an area with a cell signal) and you are in an area with a cell signal or wi-fi. I plan to use this when traveling, as I park off site at the airport. I'll be able to start my car when I'm leaving the baggage claim and then get on the shuttle back to the parking lot (it's an open air lot so no issues with cell signal) and my car will be warm when I arrive. And yes, there is a yearly fee (first year is free) of what is currently $30 that is for the 3rd party company providing the cell connection for the car (much like a one-way pager).

For me, it is worth it. It has worked flawlessly. I do carry both key fobs. My normal operation is....use iPhone to start car when I get out of the shower. Get dressed, walk outside and use Viper fob to unlock the doors (sometimes I do this from the iPhone right after I start the car). Put the key in, turn it 2 clicks and drive to work. When I get to work, I shut the car off, get out and use my Acura fob to lock the doors (pressing it twice so I get the beep beep lock confirmation.)

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible, as I couldn't find too much when I was trying to read up on this before I bought it.

Dave