tsx vs tls

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
tsx vs tls

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anybody here had driven the TLs before. I'm thinking about a little upgrade. I know from previous experience that the tsx can outdo the TL in the handling dept. But the type S is supposed to have a sport tuned suspension. So with that, can the TLs out handle a tsx with a progress RSB (that's what i have now).
Has anyone here driven both?

I'm sure something like this would get very biased opinions over there in the TL section, so i figured i'd ask here to get both sides.

What about quietness? What about the solid feeling that i get when i'm driving my TSX? I love the way the steering feels in the tsx. It just feels so smooth and solid. Does the TLs compare at all?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL is a downgrade, not an upgrade.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
^ You're gonna get a lot of shit from the TL guys for saying that.

And after driving the new TL-S, I'd say I was much more impressed with the TL-S rather than the TSX.

Go drive it and experience it for yourself.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Threedom
umm ... the TL is definitely an upgrade, and the TL-s IMHO is much much better then the TSX ...

i have only driven a tsx when i get it as a loaner, and i cannot wait to get out if it and back into my tl ...

specifically the tl is better in these ways ...
The interior is much better ... when u close the doors, they do not sound hollow like they do on the tsx ...
The car is more powerful obviously ... it has a v6 while the tsx only has an i4 ...
I think the car looks much nicer too, has a good blend of luxury and sports look which i think it can pull of better than the tsx ...
i personally own a type s ... and when i get a tsx as a loaner car, i honestly feel that the TL handles better than the tsx
also the type s has that heavy solid stearing you are looking for, the regular tl is a little bit lighter, but is still solid

hope this helps you in making your decision
Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

I had the same question a couple weeks ago... may want to search for thread with prelude, tsx tl-s to see the replies.

I decided on the TSX.... I did test drive the TL-S quite extensively.... it certainly does of course have much more power but there are some torque steer issues. The cabin is much quiter on highway cruising. however Even with the sport tuned suspension I feel the TSX is more tossible and light on its feet.

Fit finish, etc seemed similar to me... only reason I was really looking at the TL-S is that it has 6 spd (a must for me, never have driven a slushbox tranny). The price difference was a factor to me but not a huge one...

however I was coming from a 2000 prelude... if you're already in a TSX the TL-S would probably be a nice upgrade....

but may want to wait a little over a year to see what the new TSX has in store (I would never buy first year model...)
Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Test drive one and you will find out. The TL-S is most definitely a big upgrade for MOST people. It is the higher end car in Acura's line up. Doesn't make much sense if it costs more and is crappier than the TSX. The better question is....is the TL worth the extra money? It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VQPower37
umm ... the TL is definitely an upgrade, and the TL-s IMHO is much much better then the TSX ...

i have only driven a tsx when i get it as a loaner, and i cannot wait to get out if it and back into my tl ...

The interior is much better ... when u close the doors, they do not sound hollow like they do on the tsx ...
The car is more powerful obviously ... it has a v6 while the tsx only has an i4 ...
I think the car looks much nicer too, has a good blend of luxury and sports look which i think it can pull of better than the tsx ...
i personally own a type s ... and when i get a tsx as a loaner car, i honestly feel that the TL handles better than the tsx
also the type s has that heavy solid stearing you are looking for, the regular tl is a little bit lighter, but is still solid

For some people, the TL or even TLS is indeed an overall downgrade. Unless your definition of fun is racing stop light to stop light (where I'd imagine the TLS does a fair job depending on torque steer), and even if the handling is as good numbers wise, the TL is nowhere near as fun to drive as the TSX to a lot of people because of the overall feel of the car.... and the i4 is part of that fun.

Please stop assuming that the TL is a better car for everyone - you've done this in at least one other thread.

I've not driven a new TLS, but when I was buying the TSX over the TL despite the TL's "better" qualities, here's a few of the things I found instead:

* The TL looks wide, and feels wide, and would not fit into some city parking spots
* The TL's rear seat doesn't fold, reducing it's usefulness
* The TL's guage cluster looked like an improved American car's - leagues worse than the clean TSX's
* The style of the TL and the character line on the sides is dating its style more quickly as compared to the more conservative and refined TSX style
* The TL driving experience was more isolating than the TSX
* The TL's front seats seemed to be made for big and/or fat people compared to the narrower TSX seats
* The v6 had no thrill vs. the i4
* The TL felt like an even bigger car than it was given it's not much bigger than the TSX
* Torque steer - sure Acura does a good job of controlling it overall, but I'd rather switch to AWD/RWD much beyond TSX's power profile since it detracts from the fun

That being said, the TL is a fine car that I enjoy seeing on the roads (just not for me to own), and the TLS does look even better if only because you see fewer of them, and you should definitely drive them all to compare and see what qualities you really find more important.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
If the tl s was out when I bought my tsx, I'd be in the tl forum right now
Old 07-08-2007, 01:29 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
TL is obviously an upgrade, but people chose otherwise for different deal breakers.

I just could not stand the rear end design of the TL. The sides and the front look like the TSX but I did not like the way the TL looked from the back and when I saw the TSX's all around design and the unique rear end design, I was sold.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:29 PM
7th Gear

I've driven the TLS... I loved it
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anybody here had driven the TLs before. I'm thinking about a little upgrade. I know from previous experience that the tsx can outdo the TL in the handling dept. But the type S is supposed to have a sport tuned suspension. So with that, can the TLs out handle a tsx with a progress RSB (that's what i have now).
Has anyone here driven both?

I'm sure something like this would get very biased opinions over there in the TL section, so i figured i'd ask here to get both sides.

What about quietness? What about the solid feeling that i get when i'm driving my TSX? I love the way the steering feels in the tsx. It just feels so smooth and solid. Does the TLs compare at all?

thanks in advance!
As far as an upgrade goes, I'd definately consider it. Dealers are really willing to give up a deal for the TL-S and base TL's for some odd reason. They're the #2 selling luxury car in the U.S. behind the BMW 3-series. Check out the TL forums and you'll see how low some are paying for them. Also, carsdirect.com is showing a pretty good discount.

In terms of handling, it's a much different feel than the TSX. Do you have an Aspec suspension in addition to your RSB? If so, the TSX will feel FAR more neutral in the turns and enter them quite well. During my test drives with the TL-S, it had horrible understeer, but seemed to exit the turn better due to its torque and LSD.

If you level the playing field by giving the TSX the aspec suspension and summer tires, it would be far superior and responsive. Stock vs. stock I still think the TSX wins that category.

Keep in mind that at that price point, many are eyeing the G35....

Test drive a TL-S and tell us what you think. The upgraded leather, electronics, and other goodies will easily explain the extra $$.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the tl-s had been out when i bought my 2006 tsx I would have def bought it. Its def an upgrade. I love the tsx but the Tl-s is a better Car Imo.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:34 PM
East Coast Crew

More girls will look at your car if you drive a TSX compared to a TL. Everyone has a TL.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
The TLS has a similar motor as the RL. The RL is the smoothest car I have ever driven, and I have driven everything, almost. That makes the TLS very smooth as well. The TSX in comparison is more raw. As you move up, the ladder things smooth out. The tsx is just a fun tossible car. While smooth the tls is heavy and you feel it. Not quite as fun, but a more comfy ride. That my take, and between my girl and I, I have and have had all three.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by preludeowner
I had the same question a couple weeks ago... may want to search for thread with prelude, tsx tl-s to see the replies.
TSX and TLs are too short of terms to search for. I think the limit is a minimum of 4 characters. I'll try to search for "prelude" though. If you could post a link too i'd appreciate it in case i can't find the thread.

Edit: found it.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

I just spent an entire week with a TL-S... my dad just picked one up (an auto), and then my parents went on vacation for a week. He said, "Feel free to borrow my car if you want." So, of course, I dropped by their house, and took him up on the offer.

Here's my take... First, what I liked:

-The power delivery in the TL-S is VERY smooth. If you modulate the throttle just right, you can't even feel the shifts.
-The interior is also well done. The 2 tone leather and TL-S branding is a nice touch. To me, fit and finish is very similar to the TSX.
-The leather seems a tad bit better.
-The stock sound system is excellent.

What I didn't like:

-The seats in the TSX "cup" me better. While the TL-S seats were supportive, they didn't seem to have great bolster support, so they didn't hold me in place as well as my TSX when going on some spirited runs.
-The steering is heavy, and you don't get as much feedback from the road. Some people prefer the "lux" ride; I prefer a more "sporty" ride.
-Torque steer wasn't AS bad as some people have mentioned, but it's still there.
-I felt like I was driving a boat.
-There was still too much dive and squat, even w/ the upgraded suspension. This is easily remedied w/ some coilovers, but in stock form, it definitely DOESN'T feel as tossable or sporty as my TSX. Taking some turns on some spirited runs, the understeer was in full effect --- I just didn't feel confident even pushing it.

In a nutshell, you have to decide what's important to you. The money factor isn't an issue for me in this case, so the question then becomes "Is the TL-S worth ~$8k more than the TSX?" For me, the answer is clearly no. I like more compact cars, and the fun factor of the TSX outweighs the "comfort" advantages of the TL-S. Throughout this past week, I found myself always comparing the TL-S's shortcomings to the TSX's strengths, instead of focusing on what makes the TL-S a good vehicle. I still think it's a good car, but if I'm going to spend a little under $40k on a sedan, I'm looking for RWD or AWD.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Race Director

TL-S is nice! Although I like the old TL taillights 2004-2006 ones than the new smoked ones. I think an upgrade from a TL though is either a G35/G37, M35/45, IS350, 335i, or an S4, because I would love to upgrade to any of those if I had the money from the TSX.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Instructor

This is the funniest post ever

How can you seriously compare a tsx to a TL-S? They are in different classes. A TL-S is about give or take 10k more money. IT is an upgrade. Just because you don't need a particular feature doesn't mean its not an overall upgrade.
Looks are subjective, but please, the TL-S is a stunner IMHO compared to the TSX. The TSX is handsome, but eh..it has no emotion, very plain. The rear looks like a 2000 honda civic.
I used to own a TSX..and its a darn fine car, but please, in terms of raw performance and overall luxury/features,
the TL-S bitch SLAPS the TSX AND tells her maybe in the next generation.

You ask 100 car enthusiasts off the street who don't own either car which one they would prefer, it would be no contest.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
how so?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:37 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37

totally different class. I test drove one last year and let me tell you I loved it. Way better interior then tsx and power on that thing isn't comparable.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
For most people, the TL is an upgrade...for me, it's a downgrade =)

If I were going to get something that cost more than a TSX, I'd probably look into an infiniti or something else that's RWD

Lol, do TL people search the TSX forums regularly for TL-related questions? =P
Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 AM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
And after driving the new TL-S, I'd say I was much more impressed with the TL-S rather than the TSX.

Go drive it and experience it for yourself.
Although I would never buy a TLs for that price range.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
personally, i'd wait another year...i've driven the TL-S 2 occasions and i won't be trading my TSX in.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

I drove a TL as a rental while my TSX was in for service. I'm biased as I am only 4'10.5" tall, but I liked my TSX better. The TL seemed bigger and I wasn't a big fan of not being able to see much out of the rear window. For me, I'd choose the TSX, but that's just a personal opinion based on looks really.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:18 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Meh... I liked the TL-S, but it just doesn't seem to have a "soul" to me. To me, it isolates you from the "outside" (maybe not as much as a Lexus). I personally like more feedback from the road. In my opinion, it's the difference between driving versus being driven. Some people prefer that --- I don't. If I wanted to be "driven", I'd have a chaffeur.

My
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
[QUOTE=preludeowner]I
however I was coming from a 2000 prelude... if you're already in a TSX the TL-S would probably be a nice upgrade....
QUOTE]
In terms of performance the TSX is a downgrade from the 5th gen lude.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Racer

The TSX was on the Car & Driver 10-Best List for three years straight, the TL never made the cut.

That said, getting back to the original post - the TL-S can pull over 0.9g in the skidpad. The TL-S should be compared to other cars in its class. Even though it is outclassed because of the FWD setup, it is probably a bargain for the level of sportiness and electronics. Check this out for further reading:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4459
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by puma0504
the TL-S bitch SLAPS the TSX AND tells her maybe in the next generation.

You ask 100 car enthusiasts off the street who don't own either car which one they would prefer, it would be no contest.
While I agree with your stance to an extent, you really should've lef the word "enthusiast" out of it.

I think the more accurate description are the general consumers who have spoken. The TL's sales outnumber the TSX's significantly.

To the housewives, the spoiled daugter you likes to yap on the cell phone, and the snooty business male who can't even drive stick, the TL's power is FAR superior and is a definate "upgrade."

However, I think the sports car enthusiast would prefer the TSX. The enthusiast knows that an engine designed with only a single cam didn't have aggressive driving in mind. It was really for pleasing the "V6 is better" masses that think high RPMs are more of an inconvenience than excitment. I can't deny the fact that it worked. The sales numbers speak for themselves.

But to say that 280 horsepower and 3.5 liters delivered to the front wheels are an enthusiast's dream would be stretching the truth.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:09 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by black label
In terms of performance the TSX is a downgrade from the 5th gen lude.
That's funny -- I came from a modded DC2 Integra (aka wannabe ITR) which easily outperformed a stock 5th gen 'lude and thought the TSX was an upgrade.

Even my friend who has a 5AT TSX came from a 5MT 'teg (I/H/E) thinks it's an upgrade.

Unless you're talking about vwong's race-prepped Prelude, I'd have to disagree with you. Then again, I'd smoke his 'lude today because his motor needs to be re-built.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I would most definently take a TL-S over a TSX. But their in an entirely different class. And having said that nearly 300HP going to the front wheels really doesn't appeal to me. Might I suggest a G35 instead.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by visuelz
More girls will look at your car if you drive a TSX compared to a TL. Everyone has a TL.

LMAO. Your right they will because it is a girls car and they will pull up wondering "what bitch is in there I want a TSX"
Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey watch your mouth! lol j/k

I think you should test drive a base TL and then testdrive the TL-S. I walked onto the Acura lot 3 months ago looking for a nice car. I test drove the TSX and was disapointed in the power factor, however, once up to speed the handling was very respectable. I then test drove a base TL, I personally liked the interior and only wished it could have been more sporty but I left very happy and had my mind set on the TL. I went back to my dealer a few weeks later and was walking around the lot to see which TL I was going home with... I'm in the back and I see a Type S...thinking to myself... WTF... I thought these were extinct... Well instead of going into anymore details. I went on a real test drive and my 18yr old salesman showed me what this car could really do. Brought back great memories of the '01 honda prelude :o) The suspension is fantasic and the responsiveness you feel behind the wheel makes the tl-s a fun-as-hell to drive car :o )

The TSX is a very nice car. My biggest complaints are the lack luster power (obviously mods will take care of this) and the chrome on the exterior windows.

Either way you go, best of luck. Test drive the TL and then the TL-S...you will notice the difference!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
While I agree with your stance to an extent, you really should've lef the word "enthusiast" out of it.

I think the more accurate description are the general consumers who have spoken. The TL's sales outnumber the TSX's significantly.

To the housewives, the spoiled daugter you likes to yap on the cell phone, and the snooty business male who can't even drive stick, the TL's power is FAR superior and is a definate "upgrade."

However, I think the sports car enthusiast would prefer the TSX. The enthusiast knows that an engine designed with only a single cam didn't have aggressive driving in mind. It was really for pleasing the "V6 is better" masses that think high RPMs are more of an inconvenience than excitment. I can't deny the fact that it worked. The sales numbers speak for themselves.

But to say that 280 horsepower and 3.5 liters delivered to the front wheels are an enthusiast's dream would be stretching the truth.

An enthusiast is about driving and driving dynamics, not luxury or status. Between these two cars, the TSX has more of what a car/driving enthusiast is after.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

What are you smoking? I wants some of that.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by waTSX

An enthusiast is about driving and driving dynamics, not luxury or status. Between these two cars, the TSX has more of what a car/driving enthusiast is after.
Your crazy. Even though the TSX is a great car it does 0-60 in 8 secounds. Handles good but come on its a 4 bangger. It aint no sports car. It has no power compared to the TL-S
Old 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by badstsx
Your crazy. Even though the TSX is a great car it does 0-60 in 8 secounds. Handles good but come on its a 4 bangger. It aint no sports car. It has no power compared to the TL-S
Power alone does not a sports car make...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
VSA Rocks

You're missing the point completely. Power doesn't necessarily equal sporty.

Besides, the Integra Type R is "only" a four banger...

The S2000 is "only" a four banger...

I guess both of those aint sports cars by your definition?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_6spd

I also agree with some of your points. Like I said, the TSX is a fine car and a fun car to throw around. In fact, the engine and the way it drives is fantastic for a 4 banger. However, you are telling me that car enthusiasts would pick a tsx over a TL-S? Both care are FWD, so thats a wash. If your camparing stock vs stock, the TL-S has brembo brakes, paddle shifters, a revised sporty suspension, a fantastic V6 engine, way more power(yes, it really does matter) it out classes the TSX in almost every performance category. And guess what, its SUPPOSED to. Am I missing something here? Are you really telling me the tsx engine, suspension whatever etc is that much more performance oriented then the TL-S? Again, the tsx drives great, but what is this factor that you talking about that makes the TSX a better performing car?
Again, I stand by my original statement, ask 100 random Enthusiasts from a car show or whatever, It would be no contest. I would bet money on it. Would you?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Have camera, will travel

I'm crazy? Who the hell are you n00b? If your definition of a sporty car starts and ends with horsepower, then you're missing out on a lot of fun.

When it comes to comparing the two models in question, the TSX has more of what a driving enthusiast want, and that's tossability, a fun, high-revving engine, a great gearbox and sharp handling. That doesn't make the TL bad, just not as fun to drive. The TSX is a better balanced car.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro

Ohhhh...paddle shifters.

Surely that separates the real drivers from the ones who say the are...

Quick Reply: tsx vs tls